As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    City is my overall favorite. I like the villains better. I love some of the areas you visit. The Mr. Freeze fight is the one really good boss fight they've made.
    Asylum is second as it is just a short and tight, really fun experience with awful bosses.
    Knight is 60% a perfect game. The other 40% is garbage tank missions that take up way too much of the game. Also they did Deathstroke dirty.
    Origins had the best story of the series and is my third favorite game of the franchise. The bosses were awesome. It's too bad the game is a bit more messy in a technical sense.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I love Cities, but I admit I also love the purity of the Metroidvania style design and gameplay of Asylum. Platinum in Asylum was also great, without a dubious NG+ requirement that always gives me the shits when it crops up.

I didn't enjoy Knight anywhere near as much as Asylum or Cities, mostly because I hated everything to do with the Batmobile, but there was plenty of great gameplay moments when it wasn't being ruined by the Batmobile. The fact they made Deathstroke a battle in a fucking tank is one of the greatest travesties in video gaming.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Especially at how amazing the fight against him was in Origins.

Take one of the best fighters in DC. Someone who can go toe to toe with Batman on pure skill alone. Then you put him in a tank for his boss fight. A travesty is putting it nicely.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Origins is underrated.

Anyway, shame this game seems so terrible. I was looking forward to seeing how Samoa Joe was as King Shark.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Holy shit Boomerangs accent is fucking awful.

They even got an Australian to voice him! And obviously said he doesn't sound Australian enough, you need to be a mix of Ozzy Man, Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin and whatever the fuck the cop at the end of Point Break was trying to do to sound Australian.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I'm sick of hearing this garbage.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If it were in another game setting I would like the tankmobile parts in Knight. Like a Transformers game were you get to be a triple changer bot going from tank/car/bot wrecking Decepticons.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Like imagine being Rocksteady, free of the Batman license and able to go in any direction, and your corporate overlords shackle you to another DC property except it's a shallow, cynical attempt at recurring revenue.

You'd be hard-pressed to finding even the faintest glimmer of passion in such a project.

Weren't they saying they wanted to do a Superman/GL game?
    Sterica wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Based on interviews, Rocksteady folks really, REALLY don't want to call Suicide Squad a live service game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-dev-really-doesnt-want-to-call-it-a-live-service

Probably shouldn't have made one, then.
    And Arkane didn't want to make Redfall. The developers aren't the ones calling the shots here, which is going to be evident as you can't even polish a turd like this if your heart isn't even a little into it

Yeah, this is purely execs thinking GaaS are perpetual infinite money, without realizing what that actual takes to do that.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 10
    Origins is underrated.

Anyway, shame this game seems so terrible. I was looking forward to seeing how Samoa Joe was as King Shark.

Origins is massively underrated. Batman in a snowy setting is already a major plus, it has a solid interpretation of the Joker and Bane, an interesting setup. I think the world is maybe a little bland in areas that puts it under City but I honestly think Origins has the better story. City suffers because they promise Hugo Strange the whole game before whipping it away, whereas Origins teases this new clown-themed criminal right up to the twist which comes fairly early on. I like Knight's concept of the Joker infection and a tonne of Mark Hamill but yeah fuck the tank gameplay, the pathetic attempts to convince us that the Arkham Knight was not who it obviously was, and the conclusion to Batman, especially with what is now happening in Suicide Squad. Asylum I will always have fond memories of because I loved the little touches as you returned to the areas and Joker's plans were progressing. I don't know why but that really stood out to me.

As a Joker fan I really never got tired of him as a core villain, especially when there are years between each game and I honestly do not know which of his other villains in that universe could serve as a central villain given they kinda made jokes out of Riddler, Penguin, and Bane in the first game. Pretty much everything Hamill touches in these games is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLeYuQTRYI

And while not Hamill this is a great twist and score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_rUFgUw5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKud58w9Ik

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-01-12/new-suicide-squad-video-game-from-rocksteady-studios-faces-tough-road

Interesting article by Jason Schreier about Suicide Squad's development.
    In reality, Rocksteady never pitched or worked on a Superman game, according to people familiar with the company's strategy over the last decade. Following the release of Arkham Knight in 2015, the studio began working on a Batman VR game and then an unannounced multiplayer game set in an original franchise, which has not been previously reported.

At the end of 2016, a Suicide Squad game at the Warner Bros. studio in Montreal was canceled, and the property was subsequently given to Rocksteady, which began working on the current iteration in 2017.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League had several false starts and was delayed multiple times as the company tried to transition to an unfamiliar genre. By the time it comes out, it will have been in development for nearly seven years — about the same length of time that it took Rocksteady to release all three Arkham games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ugh, what a massive bummer it must be to work on a project for seven goddamn years and have it turn out shitty due to corporate trend-chasing.

Which reminds me, Rocksteady partially lifted the NDA on people who played in the game's beta a couple months ago in hopes they'll get people saying "no, it's actually good." So, uh, is that happening? Are people (who likely have connections to/are big fans of Rocksteady) saying it's actually good?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think they are, but their audiences and platforms are much smaller than IGN or Gamespot or Eurogamer, or any of the other gaming outlets that have given tepid and unfavorable previews.

First impressions matter, and part of the 4 hour preview event that all these big outlets were invited to included playing the very first mission of the game. And they didn't like it. Even if the game gets better by hour 5, or hour 10, or whatever, if the first hour sucks, that's going to turn a lot of people off to the game.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Lifting the NDA now is "too little too late", in my view. Shoulda let people talk about the game and the stuff they liked back in November because now it looks like/is damage control.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'll try it out. I'm not bothered by the "Oh my gawd why does Boomerang use a gun?!" silliness or the lack of friendly NPCs in a warzone. If the combat and loot chase is fun, that's really all that matters.

. . . of course I'm also a fan of villains Waller and Braniac and I hear the story is actually okay.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I'll just watch the movie version on YouTube.

• Options
    The combat and loot chase in Gotham Knights was not fun, and actively made that game worse. And that game has the literal same DNA as SS:KtJL.

Making a comparison to other GaaS and other looter shooters in the same genre is one thing.

Making a comparison made by a sister studio that has worked on the same franchise in the past and has used the same amazing free-flow combat that put Rocksteady on the map is way more of a cautionary tale.

WB has already made this exact same mistake once before. In recent history.

• Options
    I mean, we have no idea what the loot chase in SS is (or I haven't seen any detailed write ups of it). The loot chase in GK was bad because there really wasn't one, and the game had a weird connectivity between it's main phases (despite being enjoyable in bursts - and definitely not at full price).

At a minimum, SS looks bouncy and stupid and if the beat-to-beat combat is actually enjoyable. . .really all that matters to me.

• Options
    This guy sums up and says a lot of the things that many of us have been saying in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8V2cBD0Twk

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    ED! wrote: »
    I'll try it out. I'm not bothered by the "Oh my gawd why does Boomerang use a gun?!" silliness or the lack of friendly NPCs in a warzone. If the combat and loot chase is fun, that's really all that matters.

. . . of course I'm also a fan of villains Waller and Braniac and I hear the story is actually okay.

Boomerang and Harley using guns doesn't bother me.

It's King Shark. It's like if the marvel Avengers game made the Hulk sections into a shooter.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Basically, its obvious the characters are beholden to the "loot chase" and not the other way around.

And you know after 10 years of that, people are understandably a bit tired of it.

I know I'm tired of grinding just to get gun that shoots better and has bigger stats.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

Boomerang and Harley using guns doesn't bother me.

It's King Shark. It's like if the marvel Avengers game made the Hulk sections into a shooter.

Fair enough, some of the characters for sure lend themselves more to "ranged combat" than others, but the KS gameplay I've seen has exactly what I would expect: gets a mini-gun up close, but half of the gameplay has been that character engaging in the most melee out of all the characters. Could they have gotten a better character for this, probably. But, given his presence in the recent movie and Harley's MAX show (and just being visually interesting) I can see why they went for him.

. . .speaking of MA - SS is giving me those exact same vibes: overall fails critically, but I end up enjoying the gameplay and loot-chase. Like I'm sure you can find negative responses from the preview event (and I don't expect this to review well at all), but it's just as easy to find positive responses from the NDA lifting on the Reddit. Easy enough game to try on my own for two-hours and seeing whether or not it clicks.

• Options
    Well, this isn’t a great sign:

Not only is WB not sending review codes of Suicide Squad to IGN in advance, they’re not sending review codes at all.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Not only is it not a live service game, it's not a game that you can review at all. You just have to FEEL it.

• Options
    Yeah, I mean the IGN thing makes sense, when they publish a headline that says "We played SS:KtJL and we didn't like it."

But in general, I think they're massively afraid of the blowback. I'm sure everyone has seen the huge marketing push they're putting behind this game. They are throwing a TON of money at it. There's a TV commercial out there now with recognizable live actors in it. They're basically trying to brute-force this product across the finish line. Massive marketing push and complete media blackout. They're hoping for a ton of sales before people realize it's bad.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean the IGN thing makes sense, when they publish a headline that says "We played SS:KtJL and we didn't like it."

But in general, I think they're massively afraid of the blowback. I'm sure everyone has seen the huge marketing push they're putting behind this game. They are throwing a TON of money at it. There's a TV commercial out there now with recognizable live actors in it. They're basically trying to brute-force this product across the finish line. Massive marketing push and complete media blackout. They're hoping for a ton of sales before people realize it's bad.

Honestly I can’t think of another time a game site got blacklisted from receiving a game code because they had a negative impression of the preview. It’s a weird situation.

• Options
    Well, in this situation they didn't get blacklisted. It just looks that way. Nobody got a code. So IGN is not being singled out. This is a 100% media blackout.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 28
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, this isn’t a great sign:

Not only is WB not sending review codes of Suicide Squad to IGN in advance, they’re not sending review codes at all.

Tell me who didnt see this coming?

They know they are going to get shredded from the fact PREVIEWS were negative. No way they were going to lose what little sales they are going to get by sending out review code to IGN, who already shit all over them.

The answer is real easy here: Don't pre-order this.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'm expecting a "mediocre, but not a complete flaming car wreck, and also fuck GaaS" level of game.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 28
    It’s definitely not going to be a flaming wreck, but it will be the same story every one of these games ends up being. Ie “single player game studio shoves their campaigns into an ill fitting gaas framework, so it works neither as a gaas nor as a more traditional single player experience”. At best you get something that doesn’t really excel or stack up against the competition, rather than a trashfire

And because of how they structure development and costs going forward, either this becomes the biggest game of the year, or it’s a failure that will end up destroying the studio, there’s no place in between.

The tragedy isn’t that it’s going to be a trash fire, it’s that it could’ve been a fantastic game that builds a studio, but publishers chase trends and yet don’t understand them so it’s hamstrung from the start and the studio will end up on the line. It sucks more because of what could’ve been, and because it comes at the tail end of so many similar misfires

They think they’re going to combine the surefire audience you get from a Spiderman tier AAA traditional single player style blockbuster campaign, with the constant revenue of a long tail gaas game. Not recognising that by combining those structures you end up sabotaging both aspects, it pulls everything in contradictory directions, and means you can’t compete with peers that lean wholly into their respective genre

You can’t just add coop focussed gaas systems to regular AAA single player story campaign games without it fundamentally compromising that experience, or without some serious reevaluation, innovation and creativity in terms of how you develop that structure

Prohass on
  • Options
    Looks like there's an Early Access on Tuesday, which means you can try the game out without worrying about the refund timer if you so choose (on PC at least). Definitely will be myself.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah everything about this is sounding like the Titanic. Just heading straight for those icebergs.

I'm just going to sit here and enjoy the view. Nothing about the game has even remotely sounded fun to me so it's extra fun to see it happen in real time.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The more this builds up, the more it feels like the blame isn't completely at WB's feet, a lot seems to be Rocksteady having their own angry teenager moment with their old Arkham self.

"yeah, yeah, you know what dad? I thought the batmobile parts of Arkham Knight were the best out of everything you did! And I'm going to make a game where you play as the bad guys and they kill the good guys, and it will shit on everything you did before because bring meeee tooo liiiiffeee"

• Options
    edited January 28
    I dont know if anything from the actual arkham rocksteady team is there, I mean we've gone from the joker from origins and the other games to a weak joker cosplay, like go different if that's what you want but it doesn't look like a Joker, it looks like one of the Jokerz from Beyond. They're talking about him being insecure and unsure of himself and it's apparent that even if anyone from Rockstead of old is there they've completely lost their way.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 28
    I dont know if anything from the actual arkham rocksteady team is there, I mean we've gone from the joker from origins and the other games to a weak joker cosplay, like go different if that's what you want but it doesn't look like a Joker, it looks like one of the Jokerz from Beyond. They're talking about him being insecure and unsure of himself and it's apparent that even if anyone from Rockstead of old is there they've completely lost their way.

Origins was a different development team and this Joker is from another universe. It would be pretty hacky if he was exactly the same. Not saying the new one will be any good, just it will obviously, intentionally be different.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Every superhero adaptation tries to put their own spin on things.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Eh, the problem was they were always angry teenagers

Arkham Asylum just placed limits on them though tech and budgets so it hid their edgelord bullshit better

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    edited January 29
    Local launch on consoles, so if you're on the XBOX platform, looks like you can just set your region accordingly and play now I believe. Will definitely be interesting to see impressions on Reddit.

. . . and STEAMs getting DENUVO so there's that.

EDIT: Looks like the game is down for maintaining as folks were logging in to 100 percent story completion. . . however that works. Hopefully that's the only hiccup and they don't get sever slammed when the whole world gets access because WB can't afford to make the "obvious" mistakes here.

ED! on
  • Options

We’re aware that a number of players are currently experiencing an issue whereby upon logging into the game for the first time, they have full story completion.

To resolve this issue, we will be performing maintenance on the game servers.

During this time the game will be unavailable. We expect this to take several hours and will update once we have more information.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Major bugs on live service launch day are pretty common, but this is new.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Maybe they had story mode complete for everyone for testing?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maybe they had story mode complete for everyone for testing?
    I'd guess they had it like that for the beta testing, so story spoilers couldn't get out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.