As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maybe they had story mode complete for everyone for testing?
    I'd guess they had it like that for the beta testing, so story spoilers couldn't get out.

Makes more sense!

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    We need a new metric for service games:

Time-to-Behind-the Barn...

TtBtB

You pronounce it by blowing a raspberry

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I am totally not familiar with that turn of phrase, which is a bit surprising because I'm a midwest, wheat belt guy.

• Options
    which, the barn or the raspberry?

take the dog to a farm upstate is equivalent to the former

as for the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPYvluJlwHA&ab_channel=RumbleViral

• Options
    The barn thing was the one I wasn't familiar with.

Yeah... the next 24 hours are going to be very interesting to follow for this game. I did not preorder, and I probably won't play for a while, even if it turns out to be good. My friends started an unofficial pool for how long until this game hits Gamepass and PS+.

I'm not rooting for it to fail, because I love super hero games, and I'm a huge fan of the Arkham games. But I'm also not very interested in the Suicide Squad, nor do I have any plans to play this online or in a party. If and when I ever do get it, I'll do a playthrough for the story and then be done. So for me, that means I'm probably waiting for a sale (or for it to go up for free on PS+).

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of the Arkham games, but everything I've seen suggests that the things that made me a fan of the Arkham games either aren't here or have been reduced to the point they'll barely matter.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of the Arkham games, but everything I've seen suggests that the things that made me a fan of the Arkham games either aren't here or have been reduced to the point they'll barely matter.

It isn't an "Arkham game" at all - something they've repeatedly put out there. It's a straight up hero-looter-shooter.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

It isn't an "Arkham game" at all - something they've repeatedly put out there. It's a straight up hero-looter-shooter.

That's part of the problem - since the game world is heavily based on the Arkhamverse, it can't avoid comparisons/desires.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This seems like it should be right up my alley,I love all the previous Rocksteady games, I love the suicide squad. I love looter shooters where you rerun the same content repeatedly in co op a la darktide, vermintide etc. but by all initial reports they've botched the implementation so badly I'm not touching it until there's very surprisingly good reviews or a very hefty discount

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    by the time of discount, this thing is dead. Scratch that, it's already dead, we're all just waiting the official call. Jesus, someone is going to write a great book someday about how this all went so wrong.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

This is a very strange case of they want their cake and eat it too. The game takes place in the Arkhamverse according to them and seems to have several nods to that effect like Ivy regrowing from her death in Arkham Knight and Riddler Trophies apparently being a thing again.

But then again everything else about it is so far removed from that universe, even to the point of some of the characters and situations not making any sense considering how Arkham Knight ended. It just seems like they are really hoping to use the Arkham name to try and sell/salvage this trainwreck of bad decisions and corporate meddling.

I honestly feel for Rocksteady as I'm sure this has been ridiculously stressful on the team, but I do really hope this crash and burns just like Avengers did so that we can move past everything having to be a live service.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That's part of the problem - since the game world is heavily based on the Arkhamverse, it can't avoid comparisons/desires.
    To clear this up; saying 'Rocksteady' implies 'Arkham' because up to now that's all they've put out.
    I don't give a damn about the 'arkhamverse'. Batman's back in this one? Don't care, and I don't need an explanation of how Joker got revived or Ivy grew back or whatever.
    But the combat, the stealth, the navigation? That's what Rocksteady/Arkham games mean to me, and weapons with different damage outputs aren't part of it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited January 29
    Weapons/Guns/gear that you collect with slightly higher damage numbers so you can do more damage to the purple weakspots!

I feel that we've had games not long ago with this exact same issue/premise that crashed and burned. Once I can remember what they are, I'm sure we'll Marvel and write an Anthem about them.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Both games I played the absolute stuffing out of. If SS is at worst the quality of those two, seems like a win for fans of that kind of gameplay.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of the negative reaction to this game comes from being a fan of the arkham games and the first one being 15 years ago now. I know for me and probably a lot of people; if you really enjoyed arkham, there is a good chance you no longer have time for a looter shooter in your gaming catalogue.

Destiny (1) came out at a perfect time for me where everyone would run the same or very similar content over and over for guns that were marginally different just to collect all of them; and 90% of them never replaced the one you liked.

But if that game came out now I wouldn't have the time to touch half of it.

Hopefully for folks with plenty of time this game is entertaining; but it almost doesn't matter what they can pull off for me; I'm not going to be able to gear out four different characters to try them out and combat design that is intended for 4 people is never going to feel epic when running through it solo

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Linking it to the Arkham series was their biggest mistake, it's so unnecessary, introduces a bunch of inconsistencies, and being as obviously bad as it is, it's just pissing off anyone who liked those games.

• Options
    edited January 29
    Both games I played the absolute stuffing out of. If SS is at worst the quality of those two, seems like a win for fans of that kind of gameplay.

I hope you love this one just as much. I will never fault someone else's enjoyment of these games.

Both Anthem and Avengers which I gave both a fair shake but ended up bouncing off of because of the immense amount of grinding involved. That was when I realized that I just do not enjoy Live Service games as they just seem like they hate the player's time and actively tried to use that to get the player to spend money on the battlepasses. Both were super promising games that soured me due to the grind. But if you loved them, then hopefully you'll love this one too.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 29
    Maybe they had story mode complete for everyone for testing?
    I'd guess they had it like that for the beta testing, so story spoilers couldn't get out.

Makes more sense!

Just another stupid consequence of having a game always online. Albeit this is one of the funniest by far.

Edit: Albeit this really sucks for the few people who had enough faith in this project to pay the highest price for it. That's the truly garbage part.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 3
    I enjoyed both Anthem and Avengers for the story missions and nothing else. This looks like the same thing, where the story looks fun enough but everything surrounding it just seems like corporate trend chasing of the worst kind.

Like why does every character use a gun, when it doesn't fit their archetype at all? Because Loot.

Why Loot? Because you need currency.

Why currency? Because we need to sell you stuff.

How are we gonna sell you stuff? Always online, daily quests, battle passes, more loot...

Stuff is tiring. I want to at least play the game for the story stuff, but I'll only play it singleplayer and I'm just not gonna touch it after the final mission is over.

And then there's that UI...

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I enjoyed both Anthem and Avengers for the story missions and nothing else. This looks like the same thing, where the gameplay looks fun enough but every surrounding it just seems like corporate trend chasing of the worst kind.

Like why does every character use a gun, when it doesn't fit their archetype at all? Because Loot.

Why Loot? Because you need currency.

Why currency? Because we need to sell you stuff.

How are we gonna sell you stuff? Always online, daily quests, battle passes, more loot...

Stuff is tiring. I want to at least play the game for the story stuff, but I'll only play it singleplayer and I'm just not gonna touch it after the final mission is over.

And then there's that UI...

I still can't get over how the UI basically took almost every bad idea from that Ubisoft/Elden Ring Meme UI screenshot and implemented it in some form or another. Like...it's not supposed to be a guidebook guys, it was a freaking warning!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I would like to see it in context, though. It wouldn't be the first time someone took an outlier image and presented it as what just happens.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I would like to see it in context, though. It wouldn't be the first time someone took an outlier image and presented it as what just happens.

They have at least said you can turn off pretty much each HUD element

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

To clear this up; saying 'Rocksteady' implies 'Arkham' because up to now that's all they've put out.

Ahem.

• Options
    Did they get the servers back up yet? I haven't seen any of the news articles covering the story update to say that they fixed it. IGN, Gamespot, PCGamer, none of those articles have been updated to indicate that Rocksteady ever got this problem solved.

Sounds to me like "this maintenance will take a couple hours" has become "this maintenance will take an entire business day or more."

• Options
    Could also be "try to hide the game as long as possible" too, given it looks to be impacting NZ/Australia (in the future) for now. When is it supposed to be live for US?

What a great start guys.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Could also be "try to hide the game as long as possible" too, given it looks to be impacting NZ/Australia (in the future) for now. When is it supposed to be live for US?

What a great start guys.

Really? You think the developer is purposely making an already rocky launch even rockier to delay. . .the rockiness?

. . .that's certainly a take.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

What a great start guys.

Really? You think the developer is purposely making an already rocky launch even rockier to delay. . .the rockiness?

. . .that's certainly a take.

Well, if not all territories launch at the same time, purposely having server problems until the final territory goes live can drive a few more pre-sales before the shit hits the fan.

After all, every live service games have launch issues. Just another launch ruined by server problems. No, don't watch those previews please.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    it’s an always online gaas game launching with no doubt an exhausted and overworked team, probably using razor thin margins in terms of funding and servers. Even in the best of scenarios these kinds of things happen. I assume Aegeri was being silly and not seriously suggesting a self sabotage conspiracy

Prohass on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Like why does every character use a gun, when it doesn't fit their archetype at all? Because Loot..

The very notion of weapon loot was initially created for fantasy worlds featuring exactly zero guns.

It would be super easy to put some stats on Harley's bat, Boomer's Boomerang, etc. Hell it just happened with Avengers.

They wanted to make a shooter and skinned it with suicide squad for some reason.

Worth noting that according to Jason Schrier, they were working on some unannounced original IP game before switching to Suicide Squad. Might or might not be related.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 30
    I don’t even think it’s because loot, at least not directly, it’s because it’s a multiplayer coop game with stats (altho I guess that just means loot so I might be arguing the same thing) fundamentally, and shooting is just easier to program than a physical combat system, which tends to end up janky feeling in these games (avengers and Gotham knights both suffer from this, where it feels like every time you punch an enemy, it takes a second to calculate the damage, and so you feel disconnected, like punching jello), and so they went with shooting, where the effect is lessened. It’s why it’ll never feel as good as Arkham games or spiderman games, because everything needs to take a back seat to the stats being calculated for players, and so you’ll never get that sublime level of tactile feedback as you do in a purely single player game

Jokes on them tho because the vast majority of people will no doubt play this solo, like they always do with these games, and so it’ll feel a little worse in every way compared to actual single player games of its type

Prohass on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    One of the leaked plot points from earlier has been confirmed with video
    Harley shoots Batman in the head after giving a pretty bad speech about how crappy he is.

Narratively is such a weird choice. I don't really like Arkham take on Batman/Bruce but Arkham Knight seemed to give him a def ending.

To bring him back just for this end seems to a bad choice.

And maybe there's something in the end that undoes the deaths... Then what was the point?

Just seems like a lose/lose situation

• Options
    edited January 30
    A better game could’ve made it work, like for me hearing stuff like that I’m like “I’m up for anything as long as it’s done well”, but if the game around it is bad, it’s just going to become another sticking point. I’m sure it’ll make fans angry, but if that was attached to a better game and done well, I’d be up for it. I don’t really care about proper send offs for characters in the broader franchise and all that. If they wanna do crazy stuff and have fun I’m all for it, but it has to be well done and part of a good game.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    One of the leaked plot points from earlier has been confirmed with video
    Harley shoots Batman in the head after giving a pretty bad speech about how crappy he is.

Narratively is such a weird choice. I don't really like Arkham take on Batman/Bruce but Arkham Knight seemed to give him a def ending.

To bring him back just for this end seems to a bad choice.

And maybe there's something in the end that undoes the deaths... Then what was the point?

Just seems like a lose/lose situation

I don't mind
    Harley shooting Batman, per se. But it's a weird choice to have her do it, and then make her one of the MCs.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 30
    There’s an inherent irreverence and over the top rule breaking you kind of have to have with a suicide squad story, and that’s a tough line to walk, even with the best winds at your back. It just feels like being a game that’s in a genre not quite what people wanted from a studio we expected or would rather other things from, and all the other negativity, it’s going to amplify the narrative elements that, under different circumstances could’ve been fun and exciting, but now will land terribly and make people react even more poorly to the game

Essentially killing the justice league is a fun idea and could’ve been a great deconstruction and deviation into something different, but instead it’s going to feel like further salt in the wound

It’s kind of a one two punch where if the premise wasn’t something people wanted, but the game structure was, it could’ve worked, could’ve been refreshing. But having both elements be so oppositional is a big gamble and a bigger hurdler to overcome

Prohass on
  • Options
    Regarding the question of when it releases, I believe they’re doing rolling start times based on midnight 12:00am of the 30th. Aus/NZ was the first region released and was the region affected by the campaign completion bug.

By now though, it should be live all across Europe, and about 1-2 hours from going live in the US/Can.

For head start access. Which requires a $30 upgrade to the ultimate edition.

The “real” release date is Friday, Feb 2.

I still haven’t found any confirmation that they ever brought the servers back online, which means anyone who preordered the ultimate edition is in the “actively being screwed for supporting the game” territory.

• Options
    edited January 30
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Regarding the question of when it releases, I believe they’re doing rolling start times based on midnight 12:00am of the 30th. Aus/NZ was the first region released and was the region affected by the campaign completion bug.

By now though, it should be live all across Europe, and about 1-2 hours from going live in the US/Can.

For head start access. Which requires a $30 upgrade to the ultimate edition.

The “real” release date is Friday, Feb 2.

I still haven’t found any confirmation that they ever brought the servers back online, which means anyone who preordered the ultimate edition is in the “actively being screwed for supporting the game” territory.

So apparently the game is live and playable IF you started it after the initial bug and outage. If you started it before the outage and got hit by the bug, you're still unable to play while they figure out how to revert you.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    There’s an inherent irreverence and over the top rule breaking you kind of have to have with a suicide squad story, and that’s a tough line to walk, even with the best winds at your back. It just feels like being a game that’s in a genre not quite what people wanted from a studio we expected or would rather other things from, and all the other negativity, it’s going to amplify the narrative elements that, under different circumstances could’ve been fun and exciting, but now will land terribly and make people react even more poorly to the game

Essentially killing the justice league is a fun idea and could’ve been a great deconstruction and deviation into something different, but instead it’s going to feel like further salt in the wound

It’s kind of a one two punch where if the premise wasn’t something people wanted, but the game structure was, it could’ve worked, could’ve been refreshing. But having both elements be so oppositional is a big gamble and a bigger hurdler to overcome

Self earned wound by insisting it IS in the Arkham universe. If it was a brand new universe that we're just seeing for the first time, sure. Institute some wild changes, make it your own, why not? That was Injustice's path to success. But taking a universe that we've played 4+ (5 counting the handheld game) games in already and then instantly dragging it to shit is going to just draw instant hate. They had to know this...

• Options
    it’s an always online gaas game launching with no doubt an exhausted and overworked team, probably using razor thin margins in terms of funding and servers. Even in the best of scenarios these kinds of things happen. I assume Aegeri was being silly and not seriously suggesting a self sabotage conspiracy

Mostly, but in fairness I put nothing off the table in terms of being silly. Similar disaster level game Redfall actually patched the game to lock NZ/Australian customers out last year and they were definitely trying to hide that shit show.

Here it's just the weirdest incompetence and problem I have heard of. Can't you just like... make a new save file?

• Options

Self earned wound by insisting it IS in the Arkham universe. If it was a brand new universe that we're just seeing for the first time, sure. Institute some wild changes, make it your own, why not? That was Injustice's path to success. But taking a universe that we've played 4+ (5 counting the handheld game) games in already and then instantly dragging it to shit is going to just draw instant hate. They had to know this...

It’s so silly that they insisted that it’s the same universe. This doesn’t seem like the same Harley at all. It’s just dumb, so much has changed in the zeitgeist around these characters, especially Harley, there’s no reason to say they’re the same, other than a panic move to try and get people who liked the Arkham games to like this. It’ll backfire, it has already.

• Options
    I've been watching youtube videos about it.

It is 100% no joke the same universe. What the fuck were they thinking...