As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    I've been watching youtube videos about it.

It is 100% no joke the same universe. What the fuck were they thinking...

"Oh god we need something to hook Arkham fans"?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Especially since they announced the Otherverses, they could have easily set it in its own universe with an Arkham Otherverse to bring a character over.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    Hell, have it be a split off timeline or something. Ultimately it’ll end up being the least of the issues, if the game was good and everything worked it would be a minor quibble. But on top of everything else, trying to go “we know everyone wanted another Arkham game and this isn’t it, but hey look, it is!” just feels like a dick move

Prohass on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's possible that setting it in the Arkhamverse was a mandate from marketing because they were worried that the game wouldn't sell on its own merits. These things happen sometimes - think Arkane having to call their sci-fi game "Prey" even though it had nothing to do with the other Prey games, or Cyberpunk's weird 50-year time skip so they can use the tabletop's original timeline without having to say it takes place in the 2020s.

But it's a much bigger problem here, since the previous games were beloved big sellers, and absolutely came to a definitive end. Batman's back, Harley's different, and the first playable DLC character is the goddamn Joker.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's possible that setting it in the Arkhamverse was a mandate from marketing because they were worried that the game wouldn't sell on its own merits. These things happen sometimes - think Arkane having to call their sci-fi game "Prey" even though it had nothing to do with the other Prey games, or Cyberpunk's weird 50-year time skip so they can use the tabletop's original timeline without having to say it takes place in the 2020s.

But it's a much bigger problem here, since the previous games were beloved big sellers, and absolutely came to a definitive end. Batman's back, Harley's different, and the first playable DLC character is the goddamn Joker.

Omg that is an awful Joker design. Up (down?) there with the Jared Leto one.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Omg that is an awful Joker design. Up (down?) there with the Jared Leto one.

The Leto Joker is servicable, the tatoos are a complete flub but there are some good outfits in there. This one is just badly designed, alternative universe or no, it's more like an anime side character.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ok, two things:

He looks like one of the bad Joker cosplayers that made up the Jokerz gang in Batman Beyond.
    Second, again with Joker! My lord, if we can give Joker a rest for a while. So tired of seeing him in everything.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The anime version will be in Suicide Squad Isekai, also coming out this year, amusingly.

• Options
    I mean he’s likely a younger copycat upstart so the design is fine for that i guess. But yeah not really interested in the joker, especially since the game seems stuffed to the brim already, let the other characters breathe!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wasn’t part of the point of the Suicide Squad grabbing a bunch of no-name or third-stringer rogues? Joker feels to go against the spirit of that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    rj7a57hes668.png
    suicide squad isn't remotely close to feeling like sunset overdrive (which was the test run for spider-man). honestly, a viewer last night mentioned prototype, and that's maybe the most apt comparison i've seen so far, albeit with arguably less interesting stuff to do.

Damn, that's a bummer.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Wasn’t part of the point of the Suicide Squad grabbing a bunch of no-name or third-stringer rogues? Joker feels to go against the spirit of that.

Suicide Squad really hasn't been that for a while now. It's more of a "high profile villains team" book.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    One of the leaked plot points from earlier has been confirmed with video
    Harley shoots Batman in the head after giving a pretty bad speech about how crappy he is.

Narratively is such a weird choice. I don't really like Arkham take on Batman/Bruce but Arkham Knight seemed to give him a def ending.

To bring him back just for this end seems to a bad choice.

And maybe there's something in the end that undoes the deaths... Then what was the point?

Just seems like a lose/lose situation

I don't mind
    Harley shooting Batman, per se. But it's a weird choice to have her do it, and then make her one of the MCs.
    According to some of the spoilers out in the wild,

(plot speculation / "spoilers" - i don't know how accurate they are)
    The Justice League comes back to life anyway, they're resurrected and the damage done by Brainiac is being reversed. Apparently that's part of what's going to happen during the "seasons," the killed heroes get brought back.

Which... I don't know that I care either way, I'm not invested in this universe. I've played 1.5 of the Arkham games. From a narrative standpoint, sure, ok, it doesn't bother me. The Harley Quinn TV show has gone way harder than that at a few points.

Reading a handful of gameplay reviews from the subreddit (read: invested folk who purchased the deluxe edition of the game), it sounds like the overall gameplay is fine. I don't know how that's going to play into overall longevity. Personally, I need some sort of growth engagement to keep playing these things - skins to grind, new weapons to unlock, etc. Maybe SS:KtJL will turn out ok.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    If nothing else: this is a gorgeous fucking game. Also, I hope you can redo this tutorial because the traversal for characters is WILDLY different. Deadshot is the easiest but Boomerang is going to take some getting used to.

EDIT: Holy Shit. Yeah, hopefully there's a "HARM Room" or something in this because god damn is there a lot going on with the controls and combat in general. I don't want to go with Deadshot because he feels so bog-standard, but man is the assault rifle just a satisfying weapon to use.

EDIT2: Cheese and crackers, I completely missed that this was rated M for mature. And boy are they going for that rating.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Initial impressions so far seem to be on the "this is pretty good" side, with most people saying the worst part is the obvious GaaS stuff.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    I'm very hesitant to take the overall impressions of anyone who spent extra money to play early despite all the terrible pre-release impressions seriously at this point. I mean they might very well find it pretty good but they have to be wearing some rose colored super fan shades. I hope it is good but, yeah. I'll wait to hear impressions once the general release hits.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am just waiting for the remaining cutscenes.

This story sure is a thing...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Not much past the tutorial and I am digging this. combat is quick and snappy and traversal feels like there is some skill involved (which i currently lack)
    only complaint I have so far is they kinda throw a whole lot at you very quickly. As Harley I have so many traversal options that I am struggling to remember how to do half of them. but I am sure a couple hours of play will remedy that particular issue.

I have not hit the GAAS stuff yet so no gun drops or whatever so can't comment on that implementation.
    as for the UI its not overwhelming me yet, though I just put my first borderlands style skill point which unlocked a new combo counter so we will see. at least it looks like I can toggle any UI element so if it starts to feel too spammy I can shut off the most egregious parts.

Story is ticking along well and I am interested to see where it goes, characterization seems pretty on point so far.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Suicide squad gameplay streams seem like the controls and gameplay mechanics seem fun but the open world seems boring. I get Anthem vibes cause boy dies anthem LOOK fun as hell but somehow wasn’t

I see people just spamming their movement abilities to find small pockets of enemies and then dispatch them super easy.

Plus the idea of a superhero shooter just seems meh. Superhero games are brawlers! But yeah it looks like an ok game in a genre where ok games just get wrecked and die

616610-1.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Watched a bit of folk playing on Twitch.
    • Looks like there's a slight competition to the MP missions, you get better rewards and a "winner" splash screen for doing the "best" in the mission
    • Loot boxes :s geared drops :vomit:
    • There are some Riddler traversal "races" that are better for different characters

Seems ok :shrug: I'd be more interested if it was "guaranteed" progression vs. loot boxes. Not interested in sticking my hand in that Skinner box.

• Options
    Enjoying the game as well (the Batman Experience was excellent, and I hope they have more of these little side diversions); the enemy roster in the codex looks SHOCKINGLY sparse, so hopefully they are making up for that in end-game combat encounters. Still, the actual combat itself is actually pretty fun, though it is going to take quite a bit of time to "master" your character. Stuck with Boomerang and am liking his focus on range (though he does get the shotgun for "Surprise Mothertrucker!" moments teleporting in with the speedforce and wrecking folks). If I were going to swap, I probably would go with Deadshot, because that jetpack and clearing out enemies Mando' style was fun in the tutorial.

The combo-combat system also gets an interesting iteration here with the talent tree basically emphasizing that combat is going to be more than just sniper shots. How much you'll need to do that versus just wailing on dudes remains to be seen as for sure so far, the basic gangoons go down pretty easy. This is just the intro though so maybe you will need those 50+ combos on the higher difficulties (beyond the base difficulties, where Hard hasn't been so hard).

. . .overall, definitely not the shitshow folks were insisting, but your mileage is going to vary depending on how much you enjoy the combat (in this regard it feels very much like Avengers, whose combat I enjoyed immensely but also had a dearth of enemy variety).
    I'm very hesitant to take the overall impressions of anyone who spent extra money to play early despite all the terrible pre-release impressions seriously at this point. I mean they might very well find it pretty good but they have to be wearing some rose colored super fan shades. I hope it is good but, yeah. I'll wait to hear impressions once the general release hits.

I mean. . .

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm watching a stream and I feel the previews did the game a disservice by focusing on the gun play.

Though there's obviously a lot of it, the traversal and different mechanics of different characters look fun. Still not digging King Shark but Boomerang looks fun if I could get over the awful voice.

'Pretty good' about sums up what I've seen.

Whether that's enough to keep it alive before WB decided they don't want the ongoing cost of maintaining it anymore...

• Options
    Basically the game has to become the hit of the year for it not to be a failure. So my bets are on it failing and being 20 bucks in 6 months, at which point I’ll pick it up and play it like I did Gotham knights and avengers , and enjoy aspects of it fine but lament what could’ve been, the way I did with those games

• Options
    edited January 31
    Prohass wrote: »
    Basically the game has to become the hit of the year for it not to be a failure. So my bets are on it failing and being 20 bucks in 6 months, at which point I’ll pick it up and play it like I did Gotham knights and avengers , and enjoy aspects of it fine but lament what could’ve been, the way I did with those games

Plus in 6 months they'll hopefully have patched in an offline mode as well.

Albeit, I will say the story is really bad - even if oddly the individual character moments and they way they tell it often isn't. I don't want to deliberately go into spoilers for a game that's not even properly out yet, but it's pretty stupid overall.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Patching in an offline mode for a live service with gacha is pure wishful thinking. It's not happening.

• Options
    Turned the difficulty actually up to HARD (thought it was on HARD but I guess not) and boy howdy does combat become a beautiful mess.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Patching in an offline mode for a live service with gacha is pure wishful thinking. It's not happening.

It is getting an offline mode post-launch. Also not sure what the "gacha" in this game is.

• Options

This is not to say I inherently disagree with you, but it is in fact something that Rocksteady have officially promised to do.

Which is why if I do ever get this game, it will only be after offline is patched in and it's a suitable bargain bin price.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 31
    There's no way this game will succeed but I thought the game play looked fun, so I bought it, and it is, so I'm happy with it. Maybe my mind will change once I've finished the game but to me it is really fun to play. I really just don't understand the outsized massive hate this is getting.

As an example, I gave Diablo 4 the benefit of the doubt after really not liking the open beta gameplay and having reservations about what it meant for the later portions of the game, which bore out in the actual gameplay which incredibly boring and uninspired. This at least feels quite different from other looter shooters, in terms of game feel and it's actually really fun to zip around and blast people from the air as Deadshot. I like the way that you have to think about movement but once you get used to it you can really just move from place to place in very fun ways. The characters all play quite differently as well.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is not to say I inherently disagree with you, but it is in fact something that Rocksteady have officially promised to do.

Which is why if I do ever get this game, it will only be after offline is patched in and it's a suitable bargain bin price.

I stand corrected. That might make it worth a 90% off winter sale purchase.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Turned the difficulty actually up to HARD (thought it was on HARD but I guess not) and boy howdy does combat become a beautiful mess.

It is getting an offline mode post-launch. Also not sure what the "gacha" in this game is.

My bad. I saw there was a purchaseable in game currency and the game has randomised loot so I figured it would be some kind of gacha mechanic, but apparently it's just straight up buying cosmetic stuff.

• Options
    Just noticed that the entire stories worth of cut scenes have made it onto Youtube. I am curious how the sales of this are going to be. I'm guessing at least a bit under Avengers since the Suicide Squad doesn't have the fanbase that the Avengers have that helped some of the sales of that game. Having the entire story easy to watch on Youtube won't help it any.

I really want to know what big wig in DC loves the Suicide Squad so much that they have keep trying to force them into popularity through sheer flooding of the market. How many flops does it take for them to realize they won't ever be A-tier.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    For those who bought the game and are enjoying it, I'm really happy for you. :smiley:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 31
    Aegeri wrote: »

I stand corrected. That might make it worth a 90% off winter sale purchase.

At the same time, just like with Redfall, a company can promise to do it and then... just not do it.

So I'm not going to say you're actually wrong until it happens.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Just noticed that the entire stories worth of cut scenes have made it onto Youtube. I am curious how the sales of this are going to be. I'm guessing at least a bit under Avengers since the Suicide Squad doesn't have the fanbase that the Avengers have that helped some of the sales of that game. Having the entire story easy to watch on Youtube won't help it any.

I've watched about 60% of the story and I already know the ending. I'm kinda wanting to stop though and just see what happens, because there might be some merit to playing it on a sale when offline mode is on. While I hate the story itself, I really like the individual characters, which honestly I didn't think I would.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    The one cut scene I watched, the characterization feels fine. I wasn't worried about that though as the folks at Rocksteady do seem to have a love for the DC universe and have always been pretty good getting the characters mostly right. (Except Deathstroke, but that is my personal beef) Even as a die hard DC fan, I just don't care enough for the Suicide Squad to feel like I need to play a game based around the most boring iteration of the team ever.

My issue is that I just cannot support this genre of games any longer as it's predatory and manipulative. I've been suckered twice so it's not happening again. I'll give it a playthrough when it hits PS+, as I feel like it will before long when they just are not getting the players like they want.

Honestly, I want the game to fail hard to send a message to the higher ups that this garbage isn't ok any longer. Not sure they'd get the message though. I feel bad feeling that way though as I really like Rocksteady and appreciate how talented they are. I also feel bad for Rocksteady since it seems a lot of this was forced on them (per Schrier's reporting) and they had to try and salvage an unwinnable situation with how heavy the corporate meddling was. It's just a crappy situation all around.

Either way, hopefully it sells enough to keep Rocksteady from being in trouble and having to lay people off.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Overall it seems like it's been a bad idea to get developers known for single player to build GaaS. Rocksteady and this, Arkane and Redfall, Bioware and Anthem.

I guess Destiny is the exception everyone's shooting for. I don't really think of Halo as single player campaign, but I guess that's the way it's built.

• Options
    edited January 31
    It’s just this idea you can bolt on gaas to single player AAA games, it isn’t just shitty ethically, it makes for shitty game projects pulling in every direction. Like a lot of focus will be put on the narrative here, and I’m like whatever fine I’m sure some will hate it and some will like it, but it’s the underpinning gaas structure that sabotages it. Even with a great story that everyone loves the gaas element means you get a poorer game because what works in a AAA single player focussed game and what works in a coop focussed Gaas game are different propositions

You put a great novel into a 3 panel weekly web comic and you’re going to be playing to neither the format nor the contents strengths. It’s just a waste. Doesn’t mean you can’t make a great weekly web comic, or a great novel, you just can’t jam the two together and assume it’s going to be fine without fundamentally doing some pretty creative and innovative work just to get it off the ground, which you wouldn’t have to do if you just developed a project that suited the format

Prohass on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 31
    20240131-86pN8Pdh.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I've read the plot on Wikipedia and it just sounds like a miserable time tbh.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Much like the aforementioned Anthem was Bioware's idea, I fully have the capacity to believe that developers can make bad games even without being forced to by a publisher.

Hell, they already did it once with Arkham Knight, and it probably wasn't a publisher forcing them to fill the game with dogshit tank segments.

Not that I'm looking to defend WB here, who will probably shitcan or sell their video game development arm before long here, but it always feels a little desperate and naive.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Taken from Gabe's front page newspost:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2024/01/31/suicide-squad-kill-the-desire-to-play
    I’m playing a pretty ridiculous amount of Palworld these days. I have a server set up for Noah, Kara and myself. The three of us are having a great time hunting these Pals and building bases together. I have to say the game can be pretty rough occasionally especially when playing online with other people, but in spite of all the bugs we keep logging back in. It’s funny because Suicide Squad is a game that oozes polish. I cannot deny that Kill the Justice League is a great looking game that ran well and felt complete. I just have no desire to play it. Palworld on the other hand can be a buggy mess at times and feels like it’s missing all sorts of necessary features but we can’t stop playing it. Go figure.