Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

1303132333436»

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Has Schreier published that story on a real website that works? I can't see shit on xwitter.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    SBI?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Has Schreier published that story on a real website that works? I can't see shit on xwitter.

It isn't published on Twitter, it's a link to Bloomberg.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 7
    -Loki- wrote: »
    SBI?

A narrative consulting company that focuses on diversifying and empathy in writing.

So you can imagine what certain folks think about any game they get hired on.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Jason Schreier of Bloomberg mostly confirming the things we all suspected about Suicide Squad's development:

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1798679945625194808

A positive note at the end is that Rocksteady is unlikely to face lay-offs from this and want to pivot back to single player.

Hey, who wants to see a murder?

cdchm2t6zmag.png

It's also not just the fact Jason murdered him there, it's also the absolutely massive ratio too.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Over time, the leaders’ vision kept morphing, most notably switching from an emphasis on melee combat to heavily focusing on guns. The change left some staff members wondering why protagonists such as Captain Boomerang, known for fighting with his namesake weapon, would suddenly pivot to gunplay.

https://youtu.be/rjA5A86V6SY

• Options
    The article also contradicts the narrative that it was entirely Rocksteady's decision with no influence from WB on making it a "live service" game as well. Not to mention it pretty much confirms for me while the original co-founders of the company left.

I think it's heartening to see though that Rocksteady are not just being mass laid off and are apparently going to get another shot at making another game. On the other hand, I've heard that before and it didn't exactly work out.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (or DEI as it is commonly referred to) have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of development hell. The troll in Schreier's comments is arguing that Schreier did not cover fan backlash against the game after it released. But that is literally not the point of the article. The article isn't about fan reception. It's about what happened behind closed doors. They are two completely different topics.

Whether a person is for - or against - DEI, it doesn't matter in the context of this article.

The game was doomed whether they used SBI as consultants or not.

• Options
    The whole SBI/DEI stuff is just nonsense from people who dribble their brains out their ears. They originally tried to come at Baldurs Gate 3 last year and were going "GO WOKE GO BROKE" etc, until BG3 was arguably the biggest game of the year, sold 15 million copies and swept the GotY awards. They're just complete idiots and Suicide Squad failed because it's an outdated looter shooter with generic, bland combat that was also saddled with live service bullshit. It never stood a chance.

• Options
    I have to stress that it is absolutely meaningless to try and approach any argument about SBI or DEI in good faith.

Those people don't live in reality.

Every second spent thinking about it is time wasted that you will never get back.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I have to stress that it is absolutely meaningless to try and approach any argument about SBI or DEI in good faith.

Those people don't live in reality.

Every second spent thinking about it is time wasted that you will never get back.

I think Jason's last sentence here sums it up.

igm7dti5bezt.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there a way to set website algorithms so the word 'woke' being used automatically blacklists the article/video/comment?
    I appreciate it as a shorthand warning that there's nothing of substance to be gained from further examination, but I'd like a way to just remove it entirely.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not sure if it was posted here, but Schreier confirmed on Twitter that this game is only getting barebones support, not as much as originally planned.

So if you were hanging on to hope that the game would wrap up with a unique Brainiac battle, time to let that go.

(Non-Twitter link)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there a way to set website algorithms so the word 'woke' being used automatically blacklists the article/video/comment?
    I appreciate it as a shorthand warning that there's nothing of substance to be gained from further examination, but I'd like a way to just remove it entirely.

Well considering the word also means "to awaken from slumber", you're going to get a lot of false positives if you do that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The term has also been used in what I would still call somewhat recent history to mean "alert" or "aware."

As recently as maybe in the range of 2018-2020 it was not uncommon to see someone online say "stay woke" with regards to a topic or concern. To use that definition in a sentence would be something like this "The devs are putting more and more micro transactions into the game and y'all need to stay woke on this."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well that just sounds like bad fucking grammar. You should be using "awake", present tense.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I like the Arkham games. I like Batman. I was never getting this at launch but probably when it got half price. Then I heard they did Batman dirty and I was done. Zero intent to play this. Likely in the minority but its one sale they missed.

If I say woke its usually because something feels like a lecture, checklist of inclusion whether it fits the story or not and all white male hetero characters either being evil, dumb or a butthead. Woke is just a quick way to summarize it. But again, both of these are my opinion and likely do not represent the norm.

I don't know enough about the game to know if it fits my definition.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    You also miss out on the people using "woke" facetiously and in humorous ways to mock people who use it earnestly.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    According to this IGN article, Warner Bros has committed to finishing out the announced roadmap for SS:KtJL.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-support-reportedly-scaled-back-at-rocksteady-following-disastrous-launch

It's interesting and I'll be curious how the 'completed roadmap' will look in the end as Jason Schreier said all the game is going to get is barebone support going forward. I'm guessing the roadmap will be handled as badly and super barebones as the Joker update was.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    That's pretty much the expectation yeah.

But at least they get to finish the game, which is more than I expected and they aren't being unceremoniously shut down either. So we can take the W and leave it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    So pretty much what we all expected game was originally something else but was then transformed into a looter shooter cause at the time that was what was hot and generated infinite money.

But by the time it came out that fad was already over and we were left with something that made no one happy.

You know that seemed to have been the story of most of last gen.

I feel like AAA game development has reached a point where game development takes so long and costs so much that trend chasing is much riskier than it used to be but AAA companies are still super risk averse because of all the time and money involved so all we get are sequels or highly derivative fad chasers.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mike Drucker posted a fantastic article about how he, personally, is going to force every game company to put things into games that you hate. Yes, this is a great takedown of all the manbabies freaking out about Sweet Baby/the black samurai/everything else. Stuff like this:
    That is, until I called up Rockstar and said, “You better make it so players can only win Grand Theft Auto 6 if they read the works of Gloria Anzaldúa.” They said, “Oh my God, we were going to make the game go ‘big vroom, big boom’ but, now, we’ve decided to put in all the stuff angry people online hate. Because you forced us.”

I'm posting this here because I haven't been closely following all the whargl bargl and wanted to confirm a detail. ....people really complained that Harley Quinn has "woke hair" in this game?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm very fortunate that my only exposure to other people who play games is via this forum.

I don't hear about any of this shit and I feel like my life is better for it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mike Drucker posted a fantastic article about how he, personally, is going to force every game company to put things into games that you hate. Yes, this is a great takedown of all the manbabies freaking out about Sweet Baby/the black samurai/everything else. Stuff like this:
    That is, until I called up Rockstar and said, “You better make it so players can only win Grand Theft Auto 6 if they read the works of Gloria Anzaldúa.” They said, “Oh my God, we were going to make the game go ‘big vroom, big boom’ but, now, we’ve decided to put in all the stuff angry people online hate. Because you forced us.”

I'm posting this here because I haven't been closely following all the whargl bargl and wanted to confirm a detail. ....people really complained that Harley Quinn has "woke hair" in this game?

Having seen none of the complaints, I feel confident that people have complained about "woke" everything.
    I'd be willing to bet that if you searched you could find a complaint of "woke controls" or "woke microtransactions".
    For some of them, "woke" just means bad. Therefore anything bad is also "woke".

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Oh, so you don't remember "woke controls" from Street Fighter 6

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Oh, so you don't remember "woke controls" from Street Fighter 6

Block low to avoid woke (up) attacks from the ground.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    s47n1omkkmnn.jpeg

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm very fortunate that my only exposure to other people who play games is via this forum.

I don't hear about any of this shit and I feel like my life is better for it.

The problem with most gaming discourse since Gamergate is that outrage farming and complaining about the "wokes" coming to destroy your childhood hobby is basically the easiest way to get engagement.

So you have a bunch of people who poke the bigots nest for easy money because they are a predictable and reactionary bunch and at least like 90% of all gaming discourse ends up being a bunch of loud manchildren throwing a big tantrum because they tryna take away my waifus!!!

That said this isn't exclusive to video games and has been a rising tide in dang near everything for the last decade or so.

For example it's why you can't have a level headed discussion about current day Star Wars content without it instantly becoming a trash fire.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I sadly been following this on Twitter more than I should.

Harley keeps getting lumped with MJ from Spider-Man 2 and Alloy from Horizon as "proof " that they're UGLYFYING OUR WOMEN!!!

Its as stupid as you can imagine.

• Options
    Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is one of three extra games to be offered to Amazon Prime members at no additional cost on Tuesday, July 16 and Wednesday, July 17 for Prime Day.

Rocksteady's controversial DC-themed live-service shooter joins Chivalry 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider as Epic Games Store games available to download for a limited time: for 48 hours only from July 16 at 12am PT / 3am ET. It's worth noting Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, which is the version offered here, includes the base game and Season Pass content.

https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-goes-free-via-amazon-prime

It was just a matter of time. I expect they'll give it away on PS+ before too long.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    I won’t. The game looks so bad that even the price of “free” is not enough to waste hard drive space on, or free time. I’d rather spend that time playing a good game.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I won’t. The game looks so bad that even the price of “free” is not enough to waste hard drive space on, or free time. I’d rather spend that time playing a good game.

I had the same thought. There are so many good games i am trying to get through that meh just doesn't cut it, even for free.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I mean, I'll give it a look for the low price of "free."

I'd rather go play Anthem

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I mean shit for me if a game "doesn't look like it's worth $20" that means it's not good enough for my spare time haha.

Not that I wouldn't play a $20 game. But if I thought that's the limit for how much it's worth yea...

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yep, this is where I'm at. I only have so much time for gaming and I'm not wasting it on this one...even for free.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!