As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the Exclusive PA [Wrestling] Thread

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    For the true Vince reaction those should all be him looking uninterested, then Lars VS Lashley at the bottom with him losing it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Lee Moriarty vs. ACH from For the Culture was great.

The rest of the show was good to great with Top Flight vs 40 Acres vs Casanova & Steel being a close second best match.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    In addition to New Day, Heavy Machinery have been broken up (Otis drafted to SD yesterday)
    WWE announced during this week's episode of Talking Smack that Humberto Carrillo, Drew Gulak, and Tucker have been drafted to Raw. It was also announced that Murphy and Kalisto have been drafted to SmackDown.

Can't wait for that inevitable Tucker/Mandy romance angle.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm guessing either there's a plot twist coming that reunites them or otherwise changes thing, or they're all about to quit and start a non-wrestling podcast.

Maybe they'll become career Twitch streamers like Miro did *hint hint*

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Watching a stream of hardcore homecoming and man that's one dreadful show

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It was GOING to be a Chris Jericho action figure before they figured out just how hard public opinion is turning against him.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    So that brings up three questions.

1. Does this now mean that both teams now get an extra reign? If they've changed belts, and they've now began a reign with completely different titles, surely the answer is yes?

2. If so, does this now mean that the Profits join The Revival as the only teams to be NXT, Smackdown, and RAW tag team champions?

3. If so, does this now mean that New Day are tied with Harlem Heat for the most combined tag team title reigns in history in a company? Harlem Heat had 10 WCW tag team title reigns, and now New Day has 10 reigns overall between Raw and Smackdown.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Also, drop whatever name you were going to have for Mandy Rose and Dana Brooke and go with Asuka's idea.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    They really have tried hard to ignore the fact Mandy is no pixie until now. She is built, and could have wrestled strong style in previous eras of women’s wrestling.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    They really have tried hard to ignore the fact Mandy is no pixie until now. She is built, and could have wrestled strong style in previous eras of women’s wrestling.

That pump knee of hers is vicious.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Raw drafted Retribution, the group that has been trying to destroy Raw because.....???????

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    At least Mercedes Martinez seems to have gotten free of that angle.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Raw drafted Retribution, the group that has been trying to destroy Raw because.....???????

gotta inject a lethal dose of poison

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

This. This is what I've been thinking ever since New Day were drafted.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

Look up "capitalist recuperation."

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

damnit i wanted to make this post

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Just checked the Gmail tab all my promotional junk mail gets sent to and apparently ROH wants us to know that Matt Taven is back.

So that should probably turn things around for them.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Watching AEW Dark, this Nick Comorodo guy is giving me some real Bruiser Brody vibes. I really want to see him on the main roster in the near future.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Confirmed for Dark Side of the Ring season 3 so far:

Collision In Korea
    Brian Pillman's death
    Grizzly Smith and his family (Jake the Snake Roberts, Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin)

• Options
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

Collision In Korea
    Brian Pillman's death
    Grizzly Smith and his family (Jake the Snake Roberts, Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin)

What is dark about Collision in Korea? I don't really know anything about it but the rather sparse wikipedia page.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    mustafa ali is too good for this world

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Suddenly bitter over not getting the Elimination Chamber spot over a year ago is just a damning indictment that all Vince knows how to write is his own toxic masculinity.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    facetious wrote: »

Collision In Korea
    Brian Pillman's death

What is dark about Collision in Korea? I don't really know anything about it but the rather sparse wikipedia page.

There's a really good piece from SI about it that's not entirely comprehensive but very close to it https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/27/muhammad-ali-ric-flair-oral-history-pro-wrestling-north-korea Off the top of my head, highlights:

Holding a wrestling show full of US talent in North Korea (they couldn't travel there directly)
    Onoo, when telling the Japanese embassy he was going there, was told in no uncertain terms they thought he'd be abducted
    They were put on a old shaky shitty plane with no seatbelts (extra distressing for talent like Norton who were known claustrophobic)
    They were spooked further when they landed in a deserted airport and then got separated into individual groups with chaperones who took their passports for safe-keeping
    Camerapeople were everywhere so they lacked privacy or free time to really get to see and enjoy the new place they were effectively tourists in
    Everyone they saw was and looked noticeably worse off than them, to the point even Steiner and Flair reported discomfort
    Bischoff and Onoo's chaperone randomly scolded them asking them to not rape any of the women
    Bischoff got scolded again for jogging in the morning outside of the hotel in the public streets, and threatened with Severe Punishment if caught again
    Military people showed up at Norton's room and intimidated him after listening into his phone conversation with his wife where he called the place a shithole
    The place was packed for the grand event. Most of the crowd in attendance showed up for free and (obviously never outright confirmed, but heavily Heavily implied) they were forced to be there
    Few of them saw wrestling before and didn't know how to react, let alone who to cheer or boo (or if booing was something they could do and not get in trouble for) and didn't really react to much aside from Flair/Inoki and Nakano+Hokuto/Toyota+Yoshida
    Otani broke his nose and both eyesockets two minutes into his match

TL;DR everyone who wasn't uncomfortable/nervous/scared going there, or in the process of flying there, was made that way by their stay there, Bischoff was nearly arrested multiple times At Least, Norton legit could have almost died, Otani got hurt immediately, and it was all for the benefit of an overall-meh show (which the audience may have effectively been held at gunpoint for)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

New day were 8 time tag champs, then win them back last Friday on smackdown making them 9 time champs tied with dudley's.

On raw they swapped the belts, becoming raw tag team champions. Aren't they technically 10 time champs now?

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Just checked the Gmail tab all my promotional junk mail gets sent to and apparently ROH wants us to know that Madison Square Taven is back.

So that should probably turn things around for them.

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

New day were 8 time tag champs, then win them back last Friday on smackdown making them 9 time champs tied with dudley's.

On raw they swapped the belts, becoming raw tag team champions. Aren't they technically 10 time champs now?

Yes. The switch with Street Profits are being treated as entirely new reigns for both teams.

So New Day (just Kofi and Xavier, Big E isn't included in this stat) are now 10 time tag champs (with E only being a 9 time champ). This ties them with Harlem Heat for most tag team title reigns in company history, since WCW's title stats are owned by WWE. So if they ever win another tag team title, that will put them at 11 reigns, which will give them the distinction of having the most title reigns as a team *and* the longest consecutive reign in company history. Not too bad of a deal.

This also means that the Street Profits join The Revival as the only two teams in the company who have held the NXT, Raw, and SD tag team titles.

• Options
    Oh, so it's not another WHT situation?

Bet people will still treat it like one for years to come.

• Options
    The Freebird Rule has no regard for brands, Big E is still a 10-time tag champ.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Watched AEW Dark this morning - I think they really need to lighten up on those, 2 hours was far too much and I ended up skipping a few matches. But random thoughts:
    * Nyla doesn't need a Vickie at all - she's too good on TV to get yelled over. When I started watching AEW Nyla was one of my favorites, now I just don't want to watch her matches.
    * Nick Comoroto and Cezar Bononi were both impressive big men, especially Comoroto against Darby. I wouldn't mind seeing more of either of them.
    * The Librarians are the best
    * I really don't need more matches with Austin Gunn
    * The women's division needs more long-term signed wrestlers with actual storylines and not just quick wins against local talent. I think 6 of the 19 people on their roster are injured or out of the country and most of the rest aren't being used. Give us Swole vs. Abadon or Shida vs Anna Jay sometime - we don't even need a storyline, just a quality match will do.

Also, in looking at the women's division, it has come to my attention that the official roster photo of Jake Hager looks like he's a middle manager on LinkedIn and I sort of love it.

• Options
    A 2-hour Dark is way too long, but it does give me more of Taz and Excalibur laboring to crack each other up which is always wonderful.

I agree that Vickie and Nyla do absolutely nothing for each other. Nyla doesn't need a heater and Vickie just isn't the heat magnet she used to be. After this Dark, with Red Velvet picking up a win and Kilynn King getting actual promo time I'm pretty sure the both of them being signed is imminent. Abadon and Anna Jay I think they're aggressively coaching up behind the scenes because they're both super new to wrestling.

And yeah, I've never seen a Gunn Club match that didn't feel like a giant waste of time. Every time they come out I just think, "this is time you could be using to develop your women's division."

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    whats missing in the womens group for me is that they don't really let that many of them talk... i still dont know what penelope ford's voice sounds like, and she hasn't been wrestling on dynamite despite being very impressive in her last appearances..... why? does she just not want to?

but so many womens matches on dynamite are just "here are the two ladies who showed up today..... they fight...."

one of the best women on the mic was Nyla which makes the Vickie thing more questionable... Nyla could already hold her own on screen... she didn't need backup vocals

there's just no story going on at all in the entire division. there's no interplay, there's no controversy, there's no drama, there's no building of relationships so they can be later torn down. the closest we've gotten to that in 6 months is Swole vs. Person With Broken Leg, and now it's over with nothing to fill the vacuum?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When national wrestling companies are able to safely tour again, I hope AEW goes north of the border and does a promotional show on the deck of the HMCS Algonquin where Dustin can have a match where he does one of those front flipping piledrivers he's been into lately.

And then he'd be doing a Canadian destroyer on a Canadian destroyer.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Best Friends vs. FTR was a very good match.

Not sure about Best Friends getting beat up by Miro and Sabian afterword though.

This discussion has been closed.