As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Election 2020: Democratic Convention Over, Republican Convention Monday

19495969798100»

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    he’s doing that because he thinks people like me need to be persuaded to vote (and donate, and volunteer) for him.

Hello, and welcome to something called politics.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I swear America if you come up with a second Trump term I will call out every goose in this thread making me wade through pages and pages of reasons not to vote for Biden.

I want to hear none of it unless you have an argument why Trump is better.

In the words of Metallica, Nothing else matters.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I really don't understand the value of withholding your vote on anything. What exactly is one trying to prove by not participating in an election?

I definitely don't get the idea of not voting as some kind of protest to the available candidates. Why would any system try to engage your concerns if you couldn't be bothered to vote to begin with?

If you really believe nothing matters or burn it all down, cool that's your choice not to participate, but then turning around and demanding why candidates don't reflect your beliefs...well that's why isn't it?

Even if all candidates are equally abhorrent to a voter, surely there is at least one thing that shifts your opinion?

Essentially because if politicians can count on my vote just for having a D next to their name, there is no incentive for them to support the policy I want.

I don’t support not voting; everyone should turn in a ballot even if it’s blank. But supporting candidates who don’t endorse the policy you want will just get you more of those candidates

The republican base seems to get this, and demands that their candidates endorse the stuff they support. As a result, there is far more support in the legislature for their base’ agenda

This doesn't seem right no.

Biden moved left after he got the votes and won the primary. There are ways to communicate what you want besides just the binary decision of whether to vote.

Republican voters vote very consistently.

Biden is moving left (evidently against preference) to consolidate his base; he’s doing that because he thinks people like me need to be persuaded to vote (and donate, and volunteer) for him. If he thought no one would ever “withhold their vote” (as though it’s owed to him or something) he wouldn’t be doing that

Lots of baseless speculation here imo

Aight, so what’s the counter-theory then? Biden won the primary as the conservative/centrist candidate, so why is he now moving left?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I really don't understand the value of withholding your vote on anything. What exactly is one trying to prove by not participating in an election?

I definitely don't get the idea of not voting as some kind of protest to the available candidates. Why would any system try to engage your concerns if you couldn't be bothered to vote to begin with?

If you really believe nothing matters or burn it all down, cool that's your choice not to participate, but then turning around and demanding why candidates don't reflect your beliefs...well that's why isn't it?

Even if all candidates are equally abhorrent to a voter, surely there is at least one thing that shifts your opinion?

Essentially because if politicians can count on my vote just for having a D next to their name, there is no incentive for them to support the policy I want.

I don’t support not voting; everyone should turn in a ballot even if it’s blank. But supporting candidates who don’t endorse the policy you want will just get you more of those candidates

The republican base seems to get this, and demands that their candidates endorse the stuff they support. As a result, there is far more support in the legislature for their base’ agenda

Biden moved left after he got the votes and won the primary. There are ways to communicate what you want besides just the binary decision of whether to vote.

Biden is moving left (evidently against preference) to consolidate his base; he’s doing that because he thinks people like me need to be persuaded to vote (and donate, and volunteer) for him. If he thought no one would ever “withhold their vote” (as though it’s owed to him or something) he wouldn’t be doing that

Aight, so what’s the counter-theory then? Biden won the primary as the conservative/centrist candidate, so why is he now moving left?

Because in the last six months conditions have changed significantly and it's become obvious the government has to be far more active?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

The counter theory is that he's moving left because of all the votes for his leftward opponents. Fear of losing those votes in the general may be an aspect of that. But it's defined and placed in context by the people he was running against.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    And that’s it for now, folks. A new election thread will be made by a mod when we’ve scraped up the strength to deal with another one.

This discussion has been closed.