As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Edit I am the dumb.

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Actual Hammer Damage

Actual Hammer Damage:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    [OOC: We’ll have to have a short break as work is hectic. Feel free to message each other about your overall plans vis-à-vis killing a Mindflayer, and see if you can work out how many rooms you’ve got until you’re at the midpoint.

To be continued in a day or so!]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzp8Z2N60zs&list=PLhwL_3lZ3YPjYuOCGx1coxBwX5GfctEw4&index=10&t=0s

Everyone, you gain 80 experience for making it this far.

Count up your experience and if you have 300 or more level up, right now. When you level up, roll your new hit die to determine your new maximum HP, and heal to full.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 19/24
    Wylan wasn’t sure what he expected the backup to be, but he could admit he didn’t expect a goat.

“Right.” He didn’t have much else to add to this conversation so he looked at his map again. “Huh, it actually looks like our best path is backtracking a little here. There was a bridge through a room to the south. Assuming it’s still there and you two are free to pass, we can head that way. Otherwise, there is a longer way but it’s probably more time that we may not have.”
    From where we are, it actually looks like south is faster/less room towards center.

IF the tentacle bridge is still there and Satra and Billy don’t get stopped, we will move to Path of Gaia.

If either of those aren’t true, we’ll turn around and head north to Bull room.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy "Bucky", Goat, HP 18/26

Allowing himself to be temporarily distracted by the biscuit, Billy/'Bucky' pays little attention to the discussion taking place between his current company. He finishes the treat just as they appear to come to some sort of consensus, whereupon he gives Satra a quizzical shunt to see if any more biscuits are forthcoming. When none is immediately forthcoming and Satra instead shoos him away for a moment while the pair collect their notes and get themselves in order, he turns around and takes a few steps back towards the portal he came through.

"B---y, no ".

The shout from behind him is insistent and agitated, and can only belong to one person. There's some animated gesticulating and encouraging tugs and pushes while more excited words are said. Evidentally this new company knows some other route to the center, and his Tinker is intent on going with them.

The goat takes a moment to consider this, then turns around and starts to follow the new tall companion, who is already waiting by the door.

There are no certainties, but if someone seems to know where they're going, then that's a step up from nothing. Besides, Satra might have more of those biscuits.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Thraxxagar

You throw Timmy through the portal, then turn back to whack a fiend climbing onto the deck!

WHACK

You can’t even tell how many are assaulting you, are there three now? You take 4 bludgeoning damage. You need to get through that portal!

At the start of your next turn you can jump through the portal. ...if you’ve survived, that is.

Geth roll 1d8 for Slaps
    Geth roll 1d8 for More Slaps

Wylan, Satra & Brody

Running back the way you cake and across due west, you reach a sector of hanging bridges over a heavy darkness. You hear droplets from above splash after a minute, and gather it’s one hell of a fall.

There’s trinkets and gold littering the bridges, hardly enticing, right?

So the south a few feet is the black tiled floor you’ve grown accustomed to, leading westwards to a room laced with pits. Potentially a dangerous route just the same, but perhaps much closer to your goal.

s8iuvba3tpvy.jpeg

—The dark blue represents areas with no bridge that lead to a long fall.
    —The orange is a 4 foot wide bridge that moves as you walk across it.

Roy & Lialeth

You step together into a small room with three portals—

A big ol’ golem falls out of one. Four gashes run along its chest. It lays quiet for a spell, then springs into life.

“Accessing! Accessing! Organic ally is destroyed! We must leave this area immediately! Four hostiles spotted, more closing in!”

The golem heads north at a jogging pace.

Do you stay to investigate the portals, or follow it?

d41p5m2cza7h.jpeg

Slaps:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]
    More Slaps:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Geth roll 1d20 for Bludgeoning Injury

Time draws short for Thraxxagar. Will he die alone in the depths?

Thraxxagar

In the rumble one of the many grasping hands pulls your warhammer from your grip! It’s lost to you.

Bludgeoning Injury:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Billy 'Bucky', Goat, HP 18/26

This goat covets no shiny trinkets nor gold. This goat fears no bridge, nor fall, nor pit. This goat busily makes use of the wall to scratch an itchy spot on his back.

Once done with seeing to his own immediate comfort, he takes a few quick steps to trot pass his companions as they consider their options, walking the short distance down the southern corridor to the edge of the first pit, and looks out over the room, as if to assess the peril of that passage before commiting to one route or the other.

Fishman on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    [ OOC: Is the four foot wide bridge that moves as you walk across like, a rickety Indiana Jones-style bridge, or more or a shifting tiles, MC Escher, the-path-is-forming-itself-in-front-of-you-and-part-of-the-ship sort of experience?

Specifically picturing something like the stair effect at :40 in the following clip, but the stairs swaying sickeningly every time you step on one...
    Edit, again: Also! I'm assuming all the .;' .', ;,' are missing pieces/structural damage, correct?]

mrpaku on
  • Options

They came to two different paths. One a bridge over what appears to be a long drop. The other large holes in the floor that likely lead to the same fate. Either way, there was the possibility of a fall if they didn't navigate correctly. As they approached, the Goat went off to inspect the area with the large holes in the floor, so Wylan inspected the bridge. He had noticed the glint of what might be treasure, but to get to it, they had to be assured the bridge wouldn't collapse the moment they stepped on it.
    I'm assuming that Investigation is the right one here since I'm looking at the bridge to assess stability.
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation

Investigation:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth

"Follow the golem," Lialeth says, taking off north after it.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

Running after Lialeth, rapier at the ready, Roy yells out to him, "You sure like following the random shit you find in here don't you". He checks to make sure his skipping stone is at the ready in his pocket.

• Options
    Lialeth

"The bridge is this way," Lialeth calls behind him. "This thing just happens to be going the same direction. There should be a right turn up ahead. Be prepared for combat."

• Options
    Roy

Roy raises his rapier, and gets the stone into his hand, "I'm always prepared for combat!"

• Options
    Thraxxagar
    I had 11 HP, but I also had my shield up? I'm not sure how that works. Also didn't I pull a second warhammer and such off of my own corpse a bit ago?

• Options
    Satra

The bridge is held up by thin cables, and appears to be made of the same substance as the usual floor, but yes, it’s rickety.

Roy, Lialeth & Timmy Tin

5d77xs1lzx6l.jpeg

So here you are at last. The walls are covered in roughly painted warnings in many languages.

Before you, two corpses. They look like stunted elves with greenish skin. They’re old. Their hair is white.

The door is locked.

What do you do?

Thraxxagar

You make it through the portal!

You land in the room just as the golem heads north, and two others follow.

—You can either take the hit, or take no damage and lose your shield. You do indeed have a spare warhammer!

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Wylan

You can’t tell much, only that the bridge leads north.

Billy

ozj4bvxtqofg.jpeg

Hopping across the pits will be no trouble for any of you.

Within the room ahead you see a hovering bug (R), and a large reptile coiled up, sleeping. It’s not a dragon, but it’s not an easy kill should it come to it.

This, for all its trouble, is the route leading to the heart of this place.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Billy 'Bucky' Goat takes a few steps backwards, then playfully leaps over the first the first two pits with the practiced ease of one who traverses chasms as a daily activity, pausing on the last platform.

From there he looks ahead and behind, first assaying the reptile, to see if it responds to the proximity; then checking to see if his companions are following.

Fishman on
  • Options
    That goat

Your actions have yet to rouse the... big lizard thing.

The hovering bug has moved however, quietly putting itself on level with you. After a tense few seconds it turns away. It’s patrolling the room.

Both your allies saw you head this way.

• Options

The goat waits, gently moving to the Southern end of the platform. He appears deceptively relaxed, but is poised to move forward again in haste should the situation require it. He is confident this is the correct way to be going, but does not wish to move beyond what he feels is a reasonable distance for his companions to follow.

• Options
    Lialeth

"Here we go," Lialeth says, taking a deep breath as he holds his tablet up to the door.

• Options

Wylan studies the bridge, but can't tell much in terms of the safety of crossing it. He looks back at the other two to ask opinions on which way they should go when Bucky hops the chasms. "Well, I guess that settles that then. Satra, looks like we're going this way."

He moves over in that direction to look at the pits down, judges the distance, then jumps twice, landing in the room with Bucky. He freezes when he sees the large reptile creature, gripping his weapon tightly to ready it for an attack if it starts to move towards him.

• Options
    Lialeth

You feel a pulling at your forehead. Then you’re fine.

The door opens... slowly. Mist sprawls into the corridor, as high as the ceiling.

What do you do?

Wylan

“You disobeyed me.”, comes a quiet voice, “I am the master here!”

The bug begins to hover towards the slumbering reptile...

[OOC: I’m too far out at sea to upload images right now. I’ll have a better update later.

For the party with Lialeth, you’ve got a couple of corpses you can investigate if you like.

For the party with the goat? You might want to deal with something more immediate.]

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Roy

Seeing that they don't have a lot of distance here Roy pockets his rock, and rolls the corpses to see if they have anything on them. As he does he offhandedly says to lialeth "Hey, big and harry, you planning on using that shield?"

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

"Damn." the words slip out of Wylan's mouth. Looks like he had made an enemy in that Steward, and looks like he had run head first into a space that Steward controlled. He moved as quickly as he could, trying to prevent this situation from getting any worse than it already was. He struck at the mechanical bug, hoping to destroy it before it work the lizard creature. Worse case, if he failed, he would be the first target of the lizard before his new companions were targeted.

Actions
    Do we need to roll Initiative here?

Edit: I seriously love this Glaive.

If so:
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

If not:
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Glaive Damage

Initiative:
    1d20-1 7 [1d20=8]
    Glaive Damage:
    1d10+3 13 [1d10=10]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Roy

They’re wearing extravagant medium armour.

wufx8903lf64.jpeg

If you switch it out, take away the bonus HP granted by your current armour and gain +16 HP. You need not be proficient in medium armour to wear it.

Additionally, you find a weird little trinket on one of them.

uavww5w4d2n1.jpeg

You can guess how it works, it’s got a trigger like a crossbow, but what it does is a mystery.

Wylan

With one strike you put an end to the bug and it’s plan.

Make an Stealth check to catch it as it falls!

• Options
    edited September 2020

Wylan attempts to catch the metal bug after he slices it, hoping to prevent that from waking the lizard creature as well.

Actions
    This is going to be bad. I don't remember the command for disadvantage, but it's the lower of the two rolls, and then -1.

Edit: So that would be an 11.

Geth, roll 2d20-1 for Stealth

Stealth:
    2d20-1 27 [2d20=12, 16]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Wylan

You catch it. The large reptile remains asleep.

The doors ahead are closed, but unlocked.

56xksorxsony.jpeg

• Options

Wylan didn't even realize he was holding his breath as he released it. He walks away from the lizard creature, and carefully places the bug on the floor, careful not to clang the metal against the stone.

Once he has done that, he turns back to Bucky and Satra and puts a finger to his lips to indicate quiet, and then motions them towards the door. Finally, he turns around himself and walks over to the doors, finding them unlocked, and opens them.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Satra

HP- 5/23

Satra has always gotten lost in her work, and it has always gotten her into trouble. She's most of the way through her appraisal of the bridge before she realizes where everyone has gone...and why. "I warned him," she mutters, drawing Problem Solver with a quickness. "I warned him about that *goddamn-ed* goat..."

"Well, because you're following," came that voice from the past. "How do *you* know I am," asked a younger, surlier Satra. That laugh again, sweet and crisp. "Because it's *you*. You just can't *help* yourself..."

Satra follows her strange companions in the shadows, quickly but quietly, hugging the walls and wily. Wily-*er*. Smells like mushrooms all over again, doesn't it? She jumps over the first pit, but *not* the second. Squatting as close as she can to the ground, she takes everything in she can...the lizard...the bug...Wylan and Sir Buck...this is about to be another shit show, she muses. She readies her pistol in one hand, and clenches the other with a firm fist and a firmer concentration...

[Satra readies an action to fire Problem Solver in one hand. She readies an action to channel and fire a concentrated, single laser-pointer-beam of Dancing Lights into the eye(s) of anyone who attacks her companions or gets near her in the other hand]
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Pre-Initiative

Pre-Initiative:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

• Options
    Roy

As roy is rolling the bodies he signals for lialeth to wait, speaking to them as he starts to drop his gear and take off his armor, "Hey, tin can, big and harry, hold up a minute these two have some salvagable shit".

He pretty coldly strips down these bodies,
    Clearly not a new practice to him, quickly transferring the armor and strange crossbow to his person piece by piece as he strips it from the corpses. After donning this new armor he keeps the strange crossbow handy in his belt, figuring it best to test that out when he's got an actual target. He also takes this time in the flurry of re belting his quiver and sheath and replacing his cloak pouches and bags to secret the bomb flint and steal about his person to make them easy to draw. As he takes one last moment to rifle through the pockets and bags on the two corpses, ensuring he's lifted everything off them he looks up to the others, "okay these two are cleared out, we can keep moving on"

Geth roll 1d20+5 to secret a bomb about my person.

to secret a bomb about my person.:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]

• Options
    Lialeth

Taking the time to don his shield and get his remaining axe ready, Lialeth doesn't pay much attention as Roy loots the bodies. He knew it was a necessity of adventuring, but he never had much taste for it. Once done, he nods and turns to the doorway. "Okay, let's do it."

With shield raised, he enters the room and looks around.
    Perception check?

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for scanning the room.

scanning the room:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

• Options
    edited September 2020
    adj1m32p4d4d.jpeg

Strange folk hang between an inch and a few feet off the floor. They move, as if running or hacking at an invisible target, then reset.

A few have visible wounds... wounds inflicted with fungal growths...

gps5mr7hz2ru.jpeg

To be continued...

[OOC: Works taking me too far out to sea again to post, so wait up, and I’ll update more when I can!]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Thraxxagar

I take the hit on my shield.

"Timmy! Where are you headed my guy? And are these your friends?"

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Billy Bucky That *goddamn-ed* Goat, HP 18/26

I push past my companions and into the room, head lowered, horns ready, and interpose myself between the strange looping folk and Satra.

Fishman on
  • Options
    The Feast of Kings

The walls of this room—no, the bridge of this vessel—depict a blasted waste consumed by green fire. Squid-like beings wreathed in gold and sapphire tremble before the might of the people, risen up, unchained slaves from across countless worlds. This feast of kings, served to them with blades, bolts and weapons unfathomable, is glorious and terrible.

But it was not enough...

w1m8f950dtyy.jpeg

Map legend:
    Fun = large fungal growths, jet black.
    /•\ = slabs of stone that glow with sigils
    Y = warriors stuck in time
    Z = mage-monks stuck in time

The mid-section of the bridge is blocked off by a light grey wall made of a metal unknown to you. There appears to be no way to gain access to it... yet.

What do you do?

• Options
    Oh, also, everyone roll a fresh initiative for me!

• Options
    Roy

Geth roll 1d20+3 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

• Options

Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20-1 6 [1d20=7]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

• Options
    geth, roll 1d20+2 for init

init:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]