As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh hey it's me!

Geth roll 1d20+1 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Initiative Order:
    Warriors (Y) - 1st
    Roy - 2nd
    Bugs (R) - 3rd
    Mage-Monks (Z) - 4th
    Thraxxagar - 5th
    Billy - 6th
    Wylan - 7th
    Lesser Drake (D) - 8th
    Timmy Tin (G) - 9th
    Lialeth - 10th
    Satra - 11th

Satra! You’re going last, just one of those things.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Warriors (Y)
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Mage-Monks (Z)
    Geth roll 1d20 for Bugs (R)
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Lesser Drake (D)
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Timmy Tin (G)

Warriors (Y):
    1d20+3 22 [1d20=19]
    Mage-Monks (Z):
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]
    Bugs (R):
    1d20 16 [1d20=16]
    Lesser Drake (D):
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]
    Timmy Tin (G):
    1d20-1 5 [1d20=6]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    Entering this space has broken something, like the seal of a fragile bubble.

The warriors drop to the floor, landing like panthers on the prowl, they instantly tumble into fighting stances.

“Get out! Get out!”, they wail in unison, “You cannot stop me! Your prison of time will soon break under my power!”

One (Y1) leads the charge by leaping at Timmy Tin and delivering a terrible blow to his head with a swift drop kick followed up by a whirl of her scimitar!

—The cut is so fine he won’t feel the effects of the damage until the end of his next turn.

Another (Y2) begins to play a piercing tune on a wind instrument. It’s ally (Y3) begins to glow a fierce red.

The final warrior (Y3) hones in on Lialeth and lunges with a serrated spear!

—The piercing injury sends pain shooting through your stomach. You can only move and make a bonus action on your next turn. You take 10 piercing damage!

d6brb7tjd92k.jpeg

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Scimitar to Timmy Tin
    Geth roll 1d20 for Slashing Injury

Geth roll 1d8+3+2 for Spear to Lialeth
    Geth roll 1d20 for Piercing Damage

Scimitar to Timmy Tin:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]
    Slashing Injury:
    1d20 16 [1d20=16]
    Spear to Lialeth:
    1d8+3+2 10 [1d8=5]
    Piercing Damage:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

Endless_Serpents on
    The bridge ripples. That’s the only way you can describe it.

More walls have ascended, liquid, from the floor, and solidified into place.

The battle has begun!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXgeGHiZnBE&list=PL53mjgVKFq7yu0LdAvpp42ZGLzRCkFKuz&index=18&t=0s

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

He first produce his pistol, cause he's already got out that rapier, then he sees what pulling the trigger while pointing it at the thing stabbing Lialeth does.

edited September 2020
    Roy

You are blown back into Thraxxagar, who you didn’t even realise was chasing you down.

Your target meanwhile is forced 5 feet back by a blast of red crackling energy. It takes 8 damage.

It lands leaning forward, propping itself up on one hand. Its got a hole blown through it, revealing the extent of the fungal infection.

Buster Pistol
    Range: 20 feet.
    This weapon deals 8 force damage. It does not require a damage roll, but the damage can never exceed 8.

You and the target are forced to move 5 feet by the power of the blast.

Geth roll 1d20 for Force Injury

Force Injury:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    Roy

"Oh hey thrax", Roy gestures at the sword floating about him with his shiney new gun "found a few things after you left, nice to see you've made it, now we just gotta find the fuckin goat and the little guy. We lost em". Roy holsters the pistol in his belt.

Sleep on
    edited September 2020
    Two bugs hover into the room. They’re facing towards Wylan’s position.

The mage-monks (Z) are broken from their spell and float slowly to the floor.

The eldest looking one (Z1) strikes at Billy with a series of lightning fast strikes!

—Billy! You take 7 bludgeoning damage! You’re knocked prone and have disadvantage to Athletics!

The other two make hand gestures, their eyes glowing. They’re up to something!

g0jcbi7wbumg.jpeg

Geth roll 1d6+1d6+2 for Flurry of Blows to Billy
    Geth roll 2d20 for Two Bludgeoning Injuries

Flurry of Blows to Billy:
    1d6+1d6+2 7 [1d6=1] [1d6=4]
    Two Bludgeoning Injuries:
    2d20 14 [2d20=6, 8]

Endless_Serpents on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Crouching Tigoat, Hidden Drake; HP 11/26

Oh, the Goat didn't like that at all.

The goat unsteadily rises to his feet. The goat blinks. And then the Goat begins to rage.
    Taking my turn now as nothing Thrax does is going to overlap with what's going on over here right now.

Geth roll 1d8+5 for I'm always angry.

I'm always angry:
    1d8+5 11 [1d8=6]

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2020
    Billy

You ram the bastard down, shattering it’s surprisingly fragile face. It’s exposed skull reveals a brain covered in fungus. It readies itself for a counter attack.

—That said, you’re pretty sure just one more attack will slay it. You gave it one hell of a strike.

“Get out! Get out! I will be free! I will claim the helm and future of the multiverse!”, all three mage-monks rage at you, their heads twisting to face you.

dd4rn03ie3wi.jpeg

The bridge ripples again. Two pits have formed, and the area beneath one of the possessed monks rises 5 feet from the floor.

Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC:
    IRL pic of Endless right now

1ndpjrorqf27.png

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 19/24

Wylan watches the Goat charge forward, dealing a strong blow immediately. This goat is fantastic....

He moves forward as well, bringing his glaive down for a strike against the same mage that was already struck by his goat companion.
    I’ll do mine since our side isn’t on the same track as the other one.

Moving to the North of the mage and hitting it.

Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Slice it up

Slice it up:
    1d10+3 11 [1d10=8]

Thraxxagar

[I know I don't go until after the monks but I don't want to hold things up and since them and the bugs are on the other side of the room it won't effect me.]

"Roy my boy! Good to see you again!" I hoist Roy back up to his feet "Nice to see you guys in the flesh and not through weird magic."

I target Y3 and cast Toll the Dead. It has to make a saving throw of 12 or it takes 1d12 necrotic damage

edited September 2020
    [OOC: Yeah, just post when you can guys and I’ll make it work!]

Wylan

You obliterate its waist, and it crashes to the floor, shattering like cheap china. It’s slain.

Thraxxagar

It shrugs off your magic. Perhaps its possessed state puts it at odds with the spell’s intent.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Saving Throw

A lesser drake, dark blue scaled with eyes of stark crimson bounds into the bridge. It roars, flapping vestigial wings!

It swings its heavy body around to face a fungal growth in the corner of the ceiling, and lets rip rip with a blast of lightning breath! The fungus melts away.

The sheer momentum of its form causes its tail to lash around and smack into the goat! Billifred esq., you take 1 bludgeoning damage, but incur no further injury.

Geth roll 2d8 for Lightning Breath
    Geth roll 1d4 for Tail Whip

Meanwhile, Timmy Tin attempts to grapple the warrior nearest him (Y1). He fails, the warrior swiftly dancing through his grab and flipping over him.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Timlock
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Unlock

9iu1d0mza3ho.jpeg

Lialeth and Satra are up next!

Saving Throw:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]
    Lightning Breath:
    2d8 13 [2d8=7, 6]
    Tail Whip:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]
    Timlock:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

Endless_Serpents on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Crashing Tigoat, Sudden Drake; HP 10/26

I shrug off that blow as if it were nothing! In my enraged state, it doesn't even register.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth

Knowing a brutal strike when he sees it Lialeth raises his shield, catching the spear at the last moment. Throwing his now-ruined shield to the floor, he looks at the warrior that attacked him with a steely-eyed gaze, then strikes with his glaive.
    I'll use my shield to negate that hit, then use a Bonus action to use my Second Wind, then attack Y3 with my glaive.

Geth, roll 1d10+1 for Second Wind
    Geth, roll 1d10+4 for Slashing Damage

Second Wind:
    1d10+1 7 [1d10=6]
    Slashing Damage:
    1d10+4 13 [1d10=9]

Satra

HP- 5/23

"Shitshow" might've been a *tad* of an understatement...the vessel had seemingly come alive; the walls themselves were shifting and contorting. Enemies had emerged from the goddamn-ed *ceiling*, screaming in a mindless rage-filled unison. The floor was giving way in places. Reason had fled the arena. Things looked *dire*.

Satra did her best to disappear her small frame between Billy and Wylan, clinging to them for *literal* life. As the fight raged on, she seemed to be nearly catatonic. She very slowly turned her head, taking everything in. No tics, no quips- eyes wide and gaze unbroken as though frozen in the moment, in some permanent combination of fear and awe. When the Drake tore into their midst, slammed into Billy, she thought it was over, and walked towards it a step, coldly resigned to her fate. She watched it shoot a breath of lightning at the fungal plant in the far corner of the room...and something in Satra's head suddenly*clicked*. The gears began to turn rapidly, and with it her quickness returned.

Satra pulls Problem Solver, she looks the Drake dead in it's eye...and she turns and fires to the South, across the pit, directly into the heart of the Southeastern fungal growth. With her other hand, she clenches her fist, closes her eyes momentarily... summons a spark of fire into her palm. You'd better be fucking right, his voice reminded her again. She wordlessly says, I know.

She shouts as loud as she can as she ducks underneath the Drake and runs, "Mushrooms...Wylan, it's the fucking *Mushrooms*, *they're* the apex predator! The dragon doesn't want *us*! " Skidding to a few feet from the edge of the pit, Satra takes the growing fiery spark, and expertly hurls it across the room, towards the fungal growth in the Northwest corner.
    [So, *for the record*, that's Satra shooting out the SE fungal growth, moving as safely as she can under and around the Drake to the space just N of Wylan, and then using "Fire Bolt" on the fungal growth in the NW]

edited September 2020
    mrpaku on
    edited September 2020
    The possessed warriors roar and stagger!

A warrior sprints around to face Satra, and throws a silvery dagger! (Y2) ...it pierces her heart.

The one (Y1) fighting Timmy presses its palm to his chest...

At the same moment another (Y3) focuses his stance and begins to glow faintly as a magical shield envelopes it.

Geth roll 1d4+2 for Kill Gnome
    Geth roll 1d6 for Melt Golem

1d4+2 5 [1d4=3]
    Melt Golem:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    Geth roll 1d20 for Fire Injury

Timmy Tin is completely immolated. He’s a walking fireball!

Fire Injury:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    m20om3o6i25w.jpeg

The bridge continues to ripple and change...

Endless_Serpents on
    Satra

Nowhere

Satra wakes up in another place...another time. Her body is fixed and her memory of the vessel is a far away dream. She looks across a frozen forest in the early dawn, mist rising up from the sudden sun...up in the distance, on a hill, she sees a familiar silhouette...it seems to catch her gaze, and quickly flees, but....before leaving, turns once, and acknowledges her presence. *Bows*. And then leaves.

Dazed and not-quite her waking self, she stumbles a bit down the snowy hill, catching herself on a pine tree-almost on the way down. As she slides down, she hears a loud chunking of mechanical gears, that she (somehow?)recognizes as a chuckle. As she turns, she sees him there...Timmy Tin, holding an over-large wooden shield, nodding once kindly as she recognizes his prescence.

Satra smiles broadly. Tears sit in the edge of her eyes. She looks up when a snowflake touches her face and she realizes it's snowing

xxh9eb9cykr7.png

Roy

Roy moves forward a few steps quick draws his pistol and pops another shot into Y3, as he flies back towards thrax he thinks to himself, ' okay this is a little rough but maybe I'll just keep this out for a bit longer, these things are pretty hard to kill'.

"Hey, big and harry! How's about we back up and funnel these things into the hallway here. That seemed like a pretty solid plan before"

The warrior (Y3) is splattered against the floor! Only it’s legs remain standing.

edited September 2020
    Cowboy Tigoat, Riding Drake; HP 10/26

Excitable-Biscuit-Tinker-Friend! Noooooooo!

Her final actions were confusing, and the shouted words all but unintelligible to the resolute goat, but her actions clearly focused on the unravelling of some great puzzle. The greater threat was the mushrooms, not the ambling warriors.
    But the Drake was an unknown factor- was it a potential temproary ally of convenince, or a dangerous threat poised to sweep he and his remaining companion from the field?

There was no helping it; there was only one play to be made.

Hell, if that damned unicorn is right, then when I die I'll just be coming back to do this all over again anyway.

The goat leaps towards the Drake, bounding up its tail like Legolas mounting an Oliphant. From there, he latches onto its ear/eyeridge/horn or whatever he can to get a grip, and attempts to turn the great reptile to head south, towards the remaining fungal zombies and whatever magic mushrooms might exist around the corner.

Either this Drake recognises the bigger picture and works with me... or I'll draw all its focus on me and it'll ignore my companions, the goat thinks.

Either way, I get to achieve my life-long goal of riding astride a great dragon-beast into a battle, which is definitely a goal that the goat has held for a great deal of time and not something that only entered his head approximately 5 seconds ago at the moment when the opportunity presented itself.

Ah well, nothing to lose, then. Might as well see if this works.

"MRHRHRHRHRHMMP!"
    I don't know if 'Raging Barbarian Goat riding an giant lizard Drake' was on your 2020 D&D Bingo card, but if it was, congratulations.

Geth roll 1d20+1 for The groatest dumb idea I've ever had

The groatest dumb idea I've ever had:
    1d20+1 13 [1d20=12]

Fishman on
    edited September 2020
    Billy

The drake rages, but does indeed swing south, battering Wylan in the process.

—Wylan takes 2 bludgeoning damage!

It bounds southwards, colliding with a mage-monk and delivering it a mighty bite!

Billy, you maintain your footing on the drake!

Elsewhere Timmy Tin succumbs to the flames and melts into molten slag.

Geth roll 1d4 for Bucking Bronco
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Bite

Bucking Bronco:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    Bite:
    1d6+3 5 [1d6=2]

Endless_Serpents on
    5yxlwcd6yc12.jpeg

The bridge ripples again!

Worse still... the remaining fungus has begun to grow, as if time is moving much quicker for it alone!

Map reference:
    D/b = a goat on a drake
    ^^^ = difficult terrain, deals 1 damage
    Dark red = molten metal

Thraxxagar

Not knowing where the rest of our enemies lie, and agreeing with Roy's sound tactics, Thraxxagar looks down at the amulet he found. Having had no time to fugue out its purpose before, he now takes a moment. He has to wait for the enemies to come anyway, might as well try to have an advantage. Knowing about strange magics and mystical items such as this from the stories his mother use to tell him, Thraxx focuses his will on the amulet, trying to get it to do something, anything.

Thraxxagar

The amulet’s powers, if it has any, cannot be invoked in such a way. I’ll call that a bonus action.

What do you do next on this turn?

That Magnifigoat Bastard; HP 10/26

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

edited September 2020
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 17/24

It all happened so quickly. The monk mage in front of them fell and Satra started blasting away with some magic metal device.Oh there was a dragon suddenly too. Then Satra fell, Bucky went nuts, and the goat jumped on the dragon.

Wylan pulled himself up from the dragon slamming into him, and moved towards Satra. The terrain was shifting constantly, but there was a switch device nearby that likely had something to do with all of this.

So, Wylan resolved to jump over and flip the switch, then continue on through the spikes towards the warrior who had felled Satra to get revenge.
    Jumping the pit (will roll athletics below if it’s needed).

Flipping/activating/deactivating the switch.

Then continuing towards Y2. Assuming I’ll take 2 dmg moving through spikes. Also assuming switch was my action, so no attack can be made.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Athletics.

Athletics:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

AustinP0027 on
    Thraxxagar

After a moment of thinking *REAL* hard at the amulet and looking kind of silly, Thraxx stops, looks a little disappointed, and thinks better.
    "Roy, let me move up" Now that I've lost my shield I'm going to two hand my Warhammer and move up near the mouth of the hall, and ready my action so as soon as one of these warriors comes around the corner I can bop him good.

Wylan

You swiftly deduce the stone-like thingy is a switch, and deactivate it.

The wall that rings the middle of the bridge ripples, turning translucent just long enough for you to see the Mindflayer within, slowly, painfully reaching for an ornate helmet, only to be reset a few feet away.

On its second go around... it spots you.

62ikv92bqosf.jpeg

Then the wall returns to its prior state.

—You take 2 damage from crossing the difficult terrain.

Lialeth

This is chaos. What do you do?

rybu072klvkc.jpeg

Lialeth

"This is chaos," Lialeth says, more like a curse than a statement. With more fungus growing rapidly in front of him, he follows the lead of the other adventurers and tries to destroy it.
    Lialeth will take out a torch to try to burn the fungus. I assume that will take my whole turn. Does it need a roll?

edited September 2020
    Lialeth
    No roll because that is cool.

In one deft movement you light the torch and ignite the necrotic mass of fungus! It goes up like a bonfire!

Every warrior and mage-monk shivers, their possession momentarily shuck off. As a reaction, each one attacks themselves!

Then their heads flick back up, staring at each of you.

“Clever.”, they all say.

Geth roll 1d4+3 for Get Out

Billy

In the midst of being bitten by the drake, your foe presses their hands to their hand and blows it off in a blinding flash of magic missiles!

Wylan

You reach the warrior, and it draws an exotic blade. It attempts to cleave you in twain!

—You take 4 damage, and... oh no... that cut along your stomach is deep. You’ll take 1 damage at the start of your turn... until you reach 0 HP, or are healed by magic.

Geth roll 1d6+2 for Chop
    Geth roll 1d20 for Slashing Injury

Lialeth, again

The warrior that destroyed Timmy jumps in the air and gifts you a double footed drop kick to the back.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Shove

Make a contested Athletics or Acrobatics check against being shoved into the blazing fungus.

...you need to beat 21.

dodhu8xy0qrf.jpeg

Get Out:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]
    Chop:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]
    Slashing Injury:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]
    Shove:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Athletics

OH COME ON GETH

Athletics:
    1d20+6 20 [1d20=14]

Denada on
    Lialeth

You stumble a few feet, burning ash and hot fungus singeing your fingers as you reach out to steady yourself. You take 1 damage, but keep your foot.

Smoke begins to fill the bridge... it’s a good idea to get away from it before you breath too much in!

—Very dark red indicates the spread of black, blinding smoke. As yet it hasn’t affected anyone.

5urxqxjyp09i.jpeg

Seems unfair to throw you in it fully.

Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 10/24

Wylan tries not to focus on what he saw when the wall went transparent briefly, but it's hard to ignore the horror that is hiding behind the wall in the center. A slash at his stomach brings him back to more pressing needs. Trying to ignore the pain, he brings his glaive slashing across the warrior, trying to down it so he can continue to move around the corner and see what might on the other side of this wall.
    2dmg for terrain, 4 for blade, 1 for start of turn = 7dmg.

Hopefully this guy dies quick. I don't see how to survive ongoing damage at this point.

Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Glaive Dmg

Glaive Dmg:
    1d10+3 11 [1d10=8]

Wylan

askaj5zasik2.jpeg

How did you kill them?