As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

1246722

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

    You grab both outstretched arms and fling the walking corpse away. Like stealing bread from a grandma, to use an old bugbear phrase.



    Thraxxagar

    Putting your hand close to the panel closed it tight. Moving it away causes it to open half way again.

    It appears for the panel to properly function the door must be closed.



    Billy

    Billy, he’s a rooting tooting runaway!

    Billy!

    BILLY!

    You sprint ahead, dropping to your knees as you hear the telltale click of some mechanism. You power slide on the smooth black floor as two arrows are loosed from the wall, and deftly get back onto your feet and just keep on truckin’.

    a9avyhu4p1k0.jpeg

    New thing. From a small hatch that seems to melt open from a wall, a metal bug buzzes out. It is facing away from you currently. It’s about the size of your head.

    It flits about, minding its own business. It hovers low to the ground, then extends a tube-like part and begins to suck up a stain on the floor.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    qd0anc4gu11x.jpeg

    The bug.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m going to take a break for the day now. Ashala’s next move will be my main update, along with anyone else that posts, naturally.

    Bucketman
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 26/26

    Don't start none, don't get none; after that last encounter if the bug is content to ignore me, I am content to ignore it.

    I meander closer to it, but mostly for the purpose of moving further into the room and scoping potential points of interest, with one untrustworthy eye on the metal bug.
    Should nothing literally or figuratively leap out at me, I will likely continue my travels westward.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception, should it be relevant

    Perception, should it be relevant:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    "Interesting", Wylan looks to the passage to the north as they head south towards the art area that Ashala mentions. "I wonder why that was written. I doubt the creator of this place would warn others away from dangers."

    Actions
    We're moving into the southern room, so I'll do a perception check once we get in it to look around.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Perception


    Perception:
    1d20+1 11 [1d20=10]

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Hmm...well I might as well try. I'm going to swipe at the panel from RIGHT to LEFT

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Satra

    Satra let's out an impressed whistle. Someone, maybe a group of someone's, had thrown just her kind of party in here. Probably not on purpose, but hey, science is full of these happily little accidents. Her mind races with possibilities - she wonders exactly what they were trying to accomplish, and if there's any remaining evidence of the materials they used. She stows her pistol to have access to both hands and moves slowly and carefully, trying to hug walls and avoid being under the taller stacks of silver discs while stepping up and around and sometimes over the jutted and damaged floor. Her previous nerves are almost completely forgotten in the rush she gets from the joy of scientific discovery...

    Satra is carefully looking for the source of the explosion, or some kind of byproduct produced by the explosion, or even if she just found some explosives to take with her, all of these are good options to her
    (I can include my Arcana modifier here, right? A vault of exploded silver discs seems like it would be informed by Arcana)
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10

    "The space to the north is a deception, if you enjoy works of art there might be something for you to the south. An interesting message, tho I wonder who the intended recipient was. Perhaps a dragon with poor memory"

    Ashala chuckles loudly to her own joke.
    She grips her spear and two darts in her claws whilst moving forward to the landscape painting room. Her nose sniffing for meat.

    Ashala & Wylan

    Improbable, but you do overcome it. Perhaps workers, slaves, brought bags of sand day after day, and hauled raw rock from the deserts of the south to the temple. But why carve it to appear so natural?

    fjmdumz6fqm9.jpeg
    02kczgshzo2h.jpeg



    Before you is a desert under a blinding lamp, so hot black burn marks ring within it. This room is over 40 feet high.

    Across the way three creatures, goblins perhaps, are making a slow walk west.

    b3almr5slgyk.jpeg

    Wylan, you note one of them (V1) is carrying a thin black metal rectangle strapped to a belt on its waist.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Billy

    You pass by the bug unharmed. The buzzing fades and then is suddenly cut off. Turning around, you guess it’s gone into another hatch in the wall.

    As you jog west, you’re met with almost too many choices.

    There’s a corridor going north, blank, nondescript.

    Neighbouring it is another northern corridor. This one has a trail of spilt cubes down it. The cubes look sponge-like, and smell of bland biscuits. It leads to an open room.

    South you see the wall has been blasted open! It’s a tight squeeze, and is pitch black dark in there.

    If you carry on, you see a section of the floor has been dug, or something, it’s a couple of inches lower than it should be. Water drips from the ceiling, creating a shallow puddle that fills the gouged floor.

    3rqn48zywqno.jpeg


    What do you do?



    Thraxxagar

    The room seals you in! Great gouts of mist are blown into your face by terrible metal limbs that burst forth from triangular holes that appear from nowhere!

    Just as quickly the air rushes from the room, the mist having no chance to settle.

    You are dead!

    Oh, no, you’re just warm and wet.

    The ghost does not appear, but you see it’s summoning circle attempt to light up again.

    “Than—”, it begins, but quickly descends into a garbled scream, “—cleansed.”



    Satra

    Clearly (because you’re a genius) the blast was from a high powered eldritch cannon, but separate scorch marks denote a controlled flame, one capable of forming perfect lines.

    Upon inspection, the discs have lines in the side. Some have fifty or so, others have them along the entire radius. Numbering, perhaps.

    You couldn’t possibly fit, but you see a crack in one of the walls. Darkness expands beyond it. You cannot say how far.

    Do you take some discs?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular


    v24zqkqip2ef.gif

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    (Eyeballing it, would Satra theoretically be able to throw one of the silver discs right through the crack in the the wall, sort of like chucking a penny down a well to determine the general depth, but also you want to find out if the penny might be explosive? And would that require an Athletics check?)

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    The sudden heat causes Ashala to sigh, her tightened muscles desiring to relax.
    Her martial will keeps herself ready.

    "You there, Visitors of the Temple have arrived!
    Tell me is there an oasis in this desert?
    What blessings or trials shall I find in this room?"

    Ashala hawks her voice across the dune.
    "If you are interested in rations, perhaps we can trade for information"

    Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Well, ok then. I guess it had been a few days since I bathed last. I will try swiping on the door this time. The way the green light appears to be going.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Satra

    —That is just a plain good idea. You just do it.

    You throw the disc as best you’re able, you count about 5 seconds before it hits the floor. Immediately after you hear it roll and tink up against something.

    “Intruder! You are not cleared...”, a voice booms, then goes silent.

    You see several hatches open high in the walls on the opposite side of the room. But nothing comes out. They close again as if they never were.



    Ashala

    The three people stop and turn. One pulls a metal tube around from their back and points it at you.

    Their leader (V1) puts a hand on their shoulder. They call over to you, but you don’t understand their language.

    What do you do?



    Thraxxagar

    The door opens half way. You’re free to begin your journey.

    Thraxxagar, he’s the man, the man with the mighty tail, he cannot fail, Thraxxagar!!

    snz5zoizil3k.jpeg

    The room tinkles with the mere breeze of your presence. Flowers of pure crystal bloom in perfect rows. Miniature insect figurines of stained glass glow under lamp light. It’s a glass garden, you think.

    You’re stood directly behind a glass rose bush. It provides you some cover.

    Ahead three large bugs hover in the air. They are busy mending a wall. Their breath is fire, and small limbs manipulate pieces of black metal.

    There’s a hill across from you, and on top of it is a single purple glass poppy.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    A toothy smile grows on Ashala's face. She takes out rations and her waterskin from her pouch.
    A mix of dark purple almost black swamp berries dried into raisins, as well as dried meat from a manatee.
    She lifts and waives the food, finally placing it on a shirt taken from her traveling clothes, laid out in the sand.
    3x rations layout on the sand

    "One called Wylan, perhaps you can organize a trade despite the barrier of language?"

    Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    Yeah this not pulsing red door way seems like the best bet I'm gonna head down this hallway

    As I walk past I do my best to note if those blue arrows are the same shade as the blue splatter against the pulsing red door

    Sleep on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    "Careful, Ashala. I don't like the look of these.", Wylan is caught between charging the creatures to strike them down, and attempting to communicate. He settles instead of gripping his weapon tight and preparing to react, but holding steady where stands. He tries to ignore the strange place they walked into and instead focuses on the creatures themselves.

    Actions
    I'm assuming I don't understand their language either. While I stand idle, I'll investigate them further.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation



    Investigation:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Satra

    Satra frowns, crosses her arms and begins frantically tapping her foot. She counts out the facts on her fingers. "Defense system...seemingly controlled demolition...absent, maybe destroyed, automations? But defending what exactly? You?" She picks up and rolls around one of the discs in her hand. She takes another look at the ceiling, trying to recall where the hatches opened out. "Wonder if I time it so I can get in through those ...no, too risky, and there might not be an exit on the other side...". She huffed. There was mystery here, a good one, and she felt if she had *just* a few more of the facts...

    She absently shoveled an odd assortment of the discs into her coin purse, frustrated at the feeling of being so close, and yet so far from answers. She tapped her fingers impatiently on her knee for a few seconds more...and then realization hit, and her eyes began to sparkle, and she giggled. She whistles joyfully as she takes the hempen rope from off her pack, and ties a strong noose to one end of it, and carefully heads back through the broken door...

    (Satra is going to go rope up and flip that big fuck off switch now, but I figured that would be a separate post here in a bit, just in case Endless Serpents decide something unexpected happens on the way there)

  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 26/26

    Many paths to travel, but this is also the most unhurried Billy's been since he entered these corridors. A small momentary pause is perhaps in order, to re-orient oneself appropriately.
    Near the North wall, Billy loosens his bladder, and lets free with an acrid, bitter stream that forms a slightly eye-watering puddle on the floor.

    He stretches, and shakes his head and body vigourously. By his ear, the cool iron of the Morgus Bite bounces as he does so; it had been acquired from a companion who had journeyed with Billy through a precipitious mountain pass, who failed to make it to the other side. So sad, most unfortunate circumstance, that.

    Taking a few unhurried steps, he approaches the northern corridor with the spilt cubes. They look suspisciously food-like, and Billy will take a moment to regard them before investigating if they are, in fact edible.
    This is the most wonderfully terribad magic item, it's practically cursed, but it's just so stubbornly goaty that I had to have it. And it has 'bite' in it's name! Instagrab.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Well I don't want to just attack the bugs, they may leave me alone. But I also don't want to alert them. I suppose I should attempt to sneak by but I'm not great at that! Luckily my father has my back.

    I take out my holy symbol, mutter a few nonsense words, and then cast Fog Cloud on the spot between where the cover ends and the hill begins. I will then sneak my way through the now obscured area. and take cover behind the hill.

    Geth roll 1d20+0 for Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+0 19 [1d20=19]

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

    Is it my turn or @WACriminal's?

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    It's yours.

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    Mr. Grungle rushes over to the undead monster he flung from him and just begins stomping the shit out of it's body (but being mindful to not step on the dagger in its skull).

    During it, Mr. Grungle yells out towards the stranger now in the room, "Oi! You want in on this stomp fest? Eh??? Looking for a lick of fun, join ol' Mr. Grungle as we hop on this pop!"

    Geth, uhh...

    With unarmed strikes being 1d1, I think I just do 2 damage to the ghoul?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Satra

    "Well hello again," Satra greets the switch sweetly, slipping the rope neatly around it and fastening it securely. "It seems like you and I have a common destiny after all." Satra backs up across the Rabbit Room and tucks herself almost fully into the northwest corner, wrapping the rope between her arms. Suddenly remembering the hatches from the previous room, she draws her gun as well, clumsily clutching it with a rope laden hand. Taking a deep breath, she has the pistol draw a cross across her chest for luck. "If anyone asks, I didn't have a choice in the matter!", she pleads to no one in particular. Then, licking her lips, she jerks the rope to throw the switch.

  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Magnus Mulligan -- 24/24

    Assuming the zombie survives those strikes, I'll just insert my previous post here re:IHitItWithMyScimitar.gif

    Geth, roll 1d6+3 for scimitar damage

    scimitar damage:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]

    Endless_Serpents
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth will continue around the corner to see what else lurks in the room.
    Perception if you need it...

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    The very same.



    Mr. Grungle & Magnus

    What a tag team partnership, says no one.
    You’re right no one, these two are the finest this federation has seen, says no one.

    As Mr. Grungle flings the undead aside and boots it across the smooth floor Magnus leaps down with his scimitar and scalps it. Its brains plops out.

    You both earn 20 experience!

    —Note that down now. Only 280 to go until you level up.

    Time for introductions.


    mrpaku wrote: »
    Satra

    "Well hello again," Satra greets the switch sweetly, slipping the rope neatly around it and fastening it securely. "It seems like you and I have a common destiny after all." Satra backs up across the Rabbit Room and tucks herself almost fully into the northwest corner, wrapping the rope between her arms. Suddenly remembering the hatches from the previous room, she draws her gun as well, clumsily clutching it with a rope laden hand. Taking a deep breath, she has the pistol draw a cross across her chest for luck. "If anyone asks, I didn't have a choice in the matter!", she pleads to no one in particular. Then, licking her lips, she jerks the rope to throw the switch.

    Satra

    Timelines. Just a theory, you know, how in one you manage to do this right away, and in another you get lit up by hidden weapons in the walls? You’re in that one.

    A voice shrieks out, “Intruuder-der-derr!”

    Hatched open high in the walls behind you, and glossy metal guns emerge. You hear a hum, then— BZZT!

    You are thrown into the Rabbit Room, and take 9 force damage! In addition, you suffer a further 1 force damage—they targeted you with surprising accuracy!
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Targeting
    Geth roll 2d6 for Lasers



    Lialeth

    Passing your new acquaintances, you clear the room, then head around the corner.

    No doors hinder you as you find yourself in a new room. At first you see that the room has an artful display of enchanted fountains that shimmer with light, but feeling no spray you realise they are illusions.

    Within the display of false fountains there is a ghost.

    b9tew5j48y1r.jpeg

    It makes no more towards you.

    z3eo4owy0axp.jpeg


    Next to the ghost, sat neatly on a plinth, is a thin black metal rectangle.

    Targeting:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]
    Lasers:
    2d6 9 [2d6=4, 5]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Geth roll 1d20 for Force Injury


    Satra

    Your body shakes and you collapse in a heap. Luckily it seems the weapons have only a short range they care for. They are hidden once more.

    Once you pick yourself up, and stop shaking, you do indeed pull of the cleverest rope trick ever seen.

    Pulling the lever back removes the spikes from this room. In the adjacent room, you hear other spikes rise sharply.

    Up ahead two sets of doors open one after the other. The way south is clear.

    21y76zb7bvvz.jpeg

    Force Injury:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy
    Did I just hear those spikes come up behind me?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sure did! SHNKT!

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    I look back at these fresh new spikes, "fuckin witches". I head down this new hall in front of me

    Sleep on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Roy

    You step over the painted arrows. Dry, good. It’s not a new feature.

    You turn a corner and are met by a vile aesthetic. The room is lit by a flickering amber light.

    There are several 5 foot wide, 10 foot tall glass tubes full of liquid. Inside the tubes are skeletons still partially covered in muscle.

    9oa0suqq93p1.jpeg


    Worse still, you see a ghost hanging in the air on glittering lights.

    qet3njmysq27.jpeg

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

    "So I guess there's no good way to go"

    I walk through the room disturbing as little as possible as I look for doors.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Roy

    To the north a door opens automatically as you near, beyond is an unlit corridor.

    On the opposite side of the room is a door jammed half-open. It’s lit beyond by green light. You see a dead... bug? It’s split in twain, and the dried bright blue paint has spilled from its innards.

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

    I go to check what's beyond the jammed open door first.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    “Hello again Fillianore.”, a gentle voice murmurs. You realise it is speaking Elven!

    9u2iwe996tnt.jpeg

    It seems to come from the walls around you.

    To the north the corridor opens into a public bath (as far as you can tell). The water is deep and steaming hot.

    Across the water a giant ghost head shimmers on beads of light that rains down from above.

    The giant head flickers, sometimes facing the wall, sometimes looking directly down into the water.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    *in elvish* "My name isn't Fillianore, it's Roy, who are you?"

    I continue eyeing the doors out of here and do not approach the floating head more than 20 feet to get a better look at this room.

    Sleep on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “O’ Fillianore...”, it sighs, “Would you regale me with poetry once more?”

    —If you do: You can just make a silly rhyme, haiku, or rap, if you like, but it can be just assumed instead. It is a Performance skill check.

    Just as it finishes speaking it begins again; did its voice just overlap itself?

    “I am the steward.”

    The bath is not up that pretty. Large black tubing just out of the walls and down into the water. Rather than a smooth curve, the pools of water are angular. There’s a couple of ladders leading into the water, and there was a handrail at one point, now not much of it remains.

    Behind the giant head there is a triangular hole in the wall. Fungus has latched onto it and reaches inside.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan pulls out a ration and advances towards the creatures, extending it and carefully walking forward.

  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Psst @Endless_Serpents Thraxxagar and myself posted actions but don't have updates or "to be continued... ", is that by intention or omission?

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
Sign In or Register to comment.