As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

1235722

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ashala & Wylan

    Together you make your intentions plain.

    Their leader taps one of them, who rummages through their things. They produce two little... things... and push them gently in the sand, then step back. They raise their hand high in a gesture of ‘they’re not weapons, I’m not armed’.

    Paired Effigies
    Two ancient nude figurines carved from sea sponge; one male, the other female. They have reptilian heads, perhaps crocodiles.

    Will you trade 1 ration each for the effigies?

    —If either of you pick them up they’re yours and the deal is struck.


    Fishman wrote: »
    Billy, Goat, HP 26/26

    Many paths to travel, but this is also the most unhurried Billy's been since he entered these corridors. A small momentary pause is perhaps in order, to re-orient oneself appropriately.
    Near the North wall, Billy loosens his bladder, and lets free with an acrid, bitter stream that forms a slightly eye-watering puddle on the floor.

    He stretches, and shakes his head and body vigourously. By his ear, the cool iron of the Morgus Bite bounces as he does so; it had been acquired from a companion who had journeyed with Billy through a precipitious mountain pass, who failed to make it to the other side. So sad, most unfortunate circumstance, that.

    Taking a few unhurried steps, he approaches the northern corridor with the spilt cubes. They look suspisciously food-like, and Billy will take a moment to regard them before investigating if they are, in fact edible.
    This is the most wonderfully terribad magic item, it's practically cursed, but it's just so stubbornly goaty that I had to have it. And it has 'bite' in it's name! Instagrab.

    Billy

    You approach the cubes. They are food! Bland, ordinary food. If you take the time to gather them they’re worth 1 ration.

    Do you head down that corridor?


    Bucketman wrote: »
    Thraxxagar

    Well I don't want to just attack the bugs, they may leave me alone. But I also don't want to alert them. I suppose I should attempt to sneak by but I'm not great at that! Luckily my father has my back.

    I take out my holy symbol, mutter a few nonsense words, and then cast Fog Cloud on the spot between where the cover ends and the hill begins. I will then sneak my way through the now obscured area. and take cover behind the hill.

    Geth roll 1d20+0 for Stealth


    Thraxxagar

    You are a shadow, like a big black Thor-like cloud without the thunder.

    The fog billows out across the room. The bugs don’t react to it, not yet anyway.

    —I’m going to give you advantage on any further physical skill checks you make in this room, should they arise.


    [OOC: Nah, I just got caught up with other folks.]

    Stealth:
    1d20+0 6 [1d20=6]

    FishmanBucketman
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Geth wanted to roll more dice there.]

    13dlbihrrway.jpeg

  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 26/26

    Never particularly fussy about his meals, Billy does collect up the bland food cubes,
    which are in fact several steps above many of his regular meals in flavour.
    Do you head down that corridor?

    Yes.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Billy

    You instinctively duck for cover as soon as you enter the room.

    You see here a few 10 foot wide by 10 foot high metal contraptions. You’re behind one right now. It is warm to the touch. Each one has a couple of small triangular holes in it about 3 feet from the floor with a flat tray attached at the hole’s base. There are several buttons next to each hole.

    What’s got you spooked is a giant golem. Grey, smooth ropes link it to the far wall. It appears dormant.

    gdy8ihsw61it.jpeg

    4jk1o313znmb.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan lays out two rations, and picks up the two effigies. He steps back and motions off to the right indicating the direction he intends on traveling next.

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr Grungle

    "Oi! You're a good scrapper in a tussle. My heart of hearts tells me there is plenty of treasure in, whatever this might be, for the two of us. What say you, stranger???"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy, Goat, HP 26/26

    Is that more food cubes on the ground over there? If so, I'll definitely snarfle those up, too. Then probably get my grill up into those holes trying to work out if that's where the food comes from, bumping buttons more or less at random until either food falls out, I get electrocuted, or the Golem starts moving.

    If it's not food, I probably approach the Golem directly, giving it a look over and bit of a poke.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

    Without thinking on it I mutter out:

    Thilio, thilio dinu nîn,
    Iston man i eneth lîn?
    Am-dhorthol or amar mîn,
    Ech, menel-vir, síloch dîn.
    Thilio, thilio dinu nîn,
    Iston man i eneth lîn?

    But I told you I'm not Fillianore

    Using advantage

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for performance
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for performance

    performance:
    1d20-1 9 [1d20=10]
    performance:
    1d20-1 1 [1d20=2]

    Endless_Serpents
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    That single glass flower looks so lovely all alone up there. I can't leave it in this room to wither..or whatever glass does. Shine? Whatever. Anyway I'm going to try and belly climb up that hill to stay as low and quiet as possible and get that flower.

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan lays out two rations, and picks up the two effigies. He steps back and motions off to the right indicating the direction he intends on traveling next.

    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    Ashala grins at the idols collected.

    She marks in the sand with her claw, the chamber with east and west passages.
    She points in support of Wylan's efforts, to the right passage, the east which way the creatures are leaving,
    and studies their reaction.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    The giant head flicks in several directions.

    “As steward it is my primary role to—”

    It’s own voice overlaps it, this time in Common.

    “Where is Fillianore? My sensors indicate they are in this room. What have you done with them?”

    “—preserve life.”

    A hatch opens up in the wall and a bug buzzes out.



    Thraxxagar

    You pluck it without trouble. It rings out as your sharp nails touch the stem, a quite lovely sound. It echoes through the area. You imagine the sound travels quite far.

    Still the bugs pay you no mind.

    Crystal Poppy
    A very fragile ornament. When tapped it resonates with a long lasting knell. Were it to shatter, the noise might well be deafening.



    Ashala & Wylan

    The one with the tube pointed at you lowers it. They add to your drawing.

    okl1cw6hm77z.png

    That’s all you get. They continue walking. The one that drew this for you keeps an eye on you, walking backwards with their tube trained on you.

    The effigies you gained show no obvious properties.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Mr Grungle

    "Oi! You're a good scrapper in a tussle. My heart of hearts tells me there is plenty of treasure in, whatever this might be, for the two of us. What say you, stranger???"

    Magnus Mulligan

    "I will go with you, and you may keep the treasure. I seek only to undo any dark powers which may be contained in this place, for the protection of all. Do you know where the center of this place's power rests?"

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    Ashala waves the travelers on, and studies the markings.
    A great fish, a circle of waves, a bonfire, a crucifixion, a devouring heart.

    She moves to climb on the heightened dune to the right curious what more she might see in the room, and it's blistery hot weather.

    Geth, roll 1d20+0 for investigating the dunes

    investigating the dunes:
    1d20+0 10 [1d20=10]

    VayBJ4e.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    qd0anc4gu11x.jpeg

    The bug.

    Wait is this what the bug looks like?

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Well ok. Flower in tow, I suppose I will quietly make my way towards that exit, the one that opposite the bug creatures.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ashala

    From you vantage point you see a small tattered tent. Next to it are a pile of bones. They’re small. Scattered around the bones are short barbs, they don’t look good for throwing, but may be of some use.

    Besides this is appears to be a waste of dunes and rough rock outcrops.



    Thraxxagar

    You hear on of the bugs take off, and then is silence. One piece of the damaged wall has been fixed. You would never know it was broken.

    Beyond the room you see a glass section, shattered wide enough to allow you to step through. Sharp as hell, mind you. There is no glass fragments on the floor on this side.

    It’s dimly light beyond it, but you can make out what might be a chair and table in the gloom.

    oeo4zid94s14.jpeg


    —It will require a Acrobatics check to pass through unharmed. Acrobatics in this case being a shorthand of steady balanced movement.



    All

    The bugs some of you have come across are all round creatures that hover; they make a buzzing noise like a bee.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Mr Grungle

    "Oi! You're a good scrapper in a tussle. My heart of hearts tells me there is plenty of treasure in, whatever this might be, for the two of us. What say you, stranger???"

    Magnus Mulligan

    "I will go with you, and you may keep the treasure. I seek only to undo any dark powers which may be contained in this place, for the protection of all. Do you know where the center of this place's power rests?"

    Mr. Grungle

    "Oh, I make it a habit to not overburden myself with such crushing knowledge."

    The bugbear fishes his dagger out of the ghoul's skull, wipes it clean on his cloak, and stores it.

    Retrieving his rapier, The Grungle looks towards his new companion. "A loyal student of virtue are we?"

    Let us investigate this overflowing fountain.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 to Investigate the Overflowing Fountain

    to Investigate the Overflowing Fountain:
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    qd0anc4gu11x.jpeg

    The bug.

    Wait is this what the bug looks like?

    Wait till you see what they think frogs look like.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

    Down in the depths you see gushing water; a pipe has burst. Besides that it’s just general wear and tear that’s causing it to overflow.

    In the water you also spy a set of dice being swirled around. Ordinary ones, nothing fancy.

    The headless statue is of a person sitting in a meditation pose. In one hand they hold a kind of ring with nine symbols around the edge and one in the middle. In the other hand it holds what looks like a tiny stingray.

    —These are part of the statue, to be clear.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    *backing quickly out of this room through the bodies room drawing my bow*

    Sleep on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    The bug follows you out of the room.

    It’s mouth opens and a thin mouth ignites into hot blue flame! However, as you back away you accidentally brush your elbow against the ghost hanging in this macabre chamber.

    “N-n-no.”, comes a deep voice.

    The bug seems to fight with itself, it’s maw flicking fire on and off. A hatch slowly, painfully, opens, and the bug backs into it. After it closes over it you hear it bang against the seamless hatch.

    “C-c-can’t hold long. Not high enough c-c-clear—a”, the ghost’s voice becomes too low to understand.

    It has not moved an inch.

    —To clarify, R in this case is a bug.

    oft9bw9l0tuf.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    As Ashala climbs the dune, Wylan watches the three creatures as they walk away. Satisfied that they are moving on and aren't looking to attack, he continues in the direction Ashala was heading, climbing up the dune, and then down when there doesn't seem to be anything threatening down there. He continues off to the west further, looking to reach the passage that appears to be in that direction.

    Actions
    Moving over into the spot that's between the next passage and the room to the North, and then doing a perception check.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    If the ring looks like it can be removed, The Grungle will stow his rapier, remove his thieves' tools, and very carefully (from a safe distance) extract the ring & dice from the fountain.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 Thieves' Tools

    Thieves' Tools:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    Ashalla descends the dune to approach the tent, and collecting the small bones and the barbs around them.
    "Need a proper knife if I'm to make use of these I suppose"
    She fingers around the broken ivory knife found in the moth room.
    "not quite there yet".

    Ashala looks on into the tent, before heading out to meet Wylan

    VayBJ4e.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Well in for a penny....gonna step through that glass hole.

    Geth roll 1d20+0 for Acrobatics

    Acrobatics:
    1d20+0 1 [1d20=1]

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I knew that was coming eventually.

    mrpakuThe Zombie Penguin
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Satra

    HP 11/20

    Satra spends as much time kicking herself for being wrong as she does shaking off the cobwebs and regaining her composure. Muttering foul things about herself and others, she carefully recollects her rope. Then, nerves again on the edge of a knife and pistol drawn, she heads through the nearly opened doors to the South, vowing not to be caught unaware again...

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Roy

    *looks at the ghost, while continuing to back away*

    "Uh... thanks"

    I head to the darkened passage way beyond the automatic door to the north and take in my surroundings as they drop to the greyscale of dark vision hoping the automatic door closes behind me

    Sleep on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

    There’s a smashed glass section of the wall in from of you. It’s a mirrored surface, so it reflects yourself many times over in it. Flecks of glass are in the sand in front of it. The glass looks too thick to fully shatter however, not without great effort. That said, considering the force came from the other side, you reckon there is a corridor or room beyond it.

    The chamber to the north has a series of panels in it. Only three appear to be functioning; green light plays across them. Glancing at them, you’d say the symbols on them represent ‘forest’, ‘sea’ and ‘desert’.

    Besides all this you find a dried bit of fungus in the sand, about as big as your hand.

    jii3hse4mmar.jpeg




    Mr. Grungle

    You can get a ring, or the dice. Any more time dangling your tools in the water and you’ll lose them.



    Ashala

    Inside the tent is nothing but a ripped bed roll and a single incense candle.



    Thraxxagar

    You slip, and put out your hand to protect yourself. The pain is instant and for a moment the entirety of reality itself. You’ve fallen, and can do nothing but drag yourself along until you’re out of the shattered glass.

    You have a long shard of glass through your left hand. It’s useless, locked with your fingers outstretched. It’s lost to you, you cannot hold anything in it. You take 6 slashing damage!

    You are prone, in a room of almost total darkness. You think there is furniture in here.

    c50vtfxsy1dl.jpeg
    Geth roll 1d20 for Slashing Injury



    Satra

    You find yourself now in a small room with a smooth pillar that blinks with many lights. A language you can’t read is written on the walls. You can parse a general structure of sentences, it’s not repetitive, but a text.

    Opposite you by a closed door is a raised circle in the floor. It looks like it had many intricate parts, but they’ve been pulled out save for a few delicate wires of copper.

    zx49w1z3f3o3.jpeg



    Roy

    The door does indeed close tight.

    To your left, down a corridor that ends in rubble you see a silver disc laid sideways against a rock.

    Up ahead you see a corpse without a leg. It’s been here for a long time. It’s dried out like a mummy. Its face has mostly been eaten away, revealing a long skull. It has what might once have been a tail. Most of that is missing.

    Though dark to the north, lights flicker to the west, shedding dim light occasionally.

    hnb7jzkfjimg.jpeg

    What do you do?

    Slashing Injury:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d4 for Glass Cuts

    Glass Cuts:
    2d4 6 [2d4=3, 3]

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Ok so I take damage...but do I still make it through?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yes, you’re through. Success!

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    Ashalla takes out a piece of flint from her tinderbox and lights the incense.

    She looks around while inhaling the scent, seeking the answers to her questions.
    If it reeks I can just put it out I suppose.

    "what ripped this bedroll to pieces?,
    was this tent, and bones, and bedroll used recently, or abandoned long ago?"

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Survivalist tracking

    Survivalist tracking:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]

    VayBJ4e.png
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Satra

    HP 11/20

    Once bitten-twice shy, Satra attempts to examine the raised, stripped circle and see how it might relate to the pillar and the lights. She also tried to see if she can draw any sort of coorelation between the lights and the words written on the walls. She is quieter, now...less harried, more focused... certainly more paranoid...
    (Investigation with Arcana bonus check, because that's Satra's world and she's living it)

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

    mrpaku on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar 16HP

    Ouch, those are some nasty cuts.

    Oh well, best to move on for now.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ashala

    It’s not of your people, but you understand it to be of religious significance. It’s smells of forest and green hills.

    The bedroll was abandoned a a few years prior at least. It would appear it was ripped by many sharp teeth or fine claws over a long period of time. You find no recent tracks in the tent, but by the skeleton outside you see dried droppings and many marching marks—a large, but ordinary, millipede perhaps. This is not the environment for such life.



    Satra

    Now, obviously the pillar receives some sort of input. Ah, yes, buttons. With letters on, naturally. Not a language you know. Same as the wall text though, good, good. Pressing the buttons will make text on the wall, a learning tool perhaps? A room of learning perhaps. Some other buttons have elaborate sentences written on them in a triangle. Probably brings up a predefined text. Simple stuff.

    The circle on the floor is the work of a brilliant artificer. You don’t know what it does now, broken as it is, but it’s easy to connect it to the text machine—it provides help to those using it somehow. The parts stolen from it must have been precious metals, old temples are made to be stolen from, after all.

    This room is not of immediate danger, but neither should you waste significant time playing with it. Maybe a quick go.

    —You have advantage on your next Intelligence skill check!

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan approaches the panel, noting the symbols. He wonders if the landscape here was determined by them, given there is one that looks to represent sand. Still, Ashala isn't nearby yet, and he is wary of just touching the panels, so he takes a closer look to see if he can determine their use.

    Actions
    Moving into the room with the panels, and investigating them.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation



    Investigation:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wylan

    —That’s a great roll, so I’m going to give you the one time deal of adding 1d4 to your next skill check, but you can learn no more from looking.

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10
    Ashalla douses the lit end of the incense in sand, and collects it to her bag.
    Satisfied it's owner had long abandoned the place, she makes note of the tent as a relatively safe place to rest.
    Might even catch a tasty bug for a snack.

    Ashala follows the tracks left by Wylan in the sand, and considers the scene there.

    "I would be curious of the forest, though I suppose there is danger in potential beasts.
    They seem to like bedrolls" she shares without much context.

    "The watery landscape might be dangerous for someone covered in armour, tho perhaps you can hold your breath better than I would expect?"

    VayBJ4e.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

    Always a sucker for shiney, I'm checking this disk, I put the bow back and get my rapier at the ready, I remember that first bit of shiney I ran into here a minute ago.

Sign In or Register to comment.