As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hyper Scape] It's live now!

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited August 2020 in Games and Technology
Hyper Scape is a new Battle Royale made by Ubisoft. It looks cool, we should have a thread about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcjk4skm2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zZb5Cfcq8

Here's the official Ubi page with info about the game on it.

Peen on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hey yeah I played some tonight and it was pretty fun, if not a little floaty. It kind feels like first person Crackdown, which imo is a compliment. I like the idea of stacking the guns and abilities to make them stronger. My ideal kit at this moment feels like Invisible on LB and Slam on RB. But invisible swapped for teleport is good too. But man the Slam is the best. Especially since there's no dedicated melee button. I actually find myself not picking up guns at the start so I can use batons more.

https://youtu.be/yVPjoDm4E-A

One thing I will note, the game I was doing best in I got dropped halfway through because the game said "My internet speed was too slow to connect." I immediately ran a speed test to see, and my speed came back as 120, not sure what that was about

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I played four solo matches and it feels it good but I lost every gun fight I got into. I'm sure a lot of it is being unfamiliar with the guns and such but at least one felt like a real head scratcher, dunno if it was really me or if connections are a little wonky because launch day.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Some guns don't make a lot of sense to me. I tried using the Shockwave gun which felt strong but it felt like doodoo. The grenade launcher felt pretty good tho. Sniping felt awful, especially since like Titanfall it feels like you always wanna be moving.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I got some kills last night, which improves my opinion of the game a lot. It definitely feels like you need a gun to do a chunk of damage and then a second automatic gun to actually secure the kills, shotgun/smg worked the best for me. The guns generally feel a little bit weak, not just in their affect on people but overall feel which is hard to describe but ya'll know good feeling guns (Destiny, Apex, COD, Battlefield, etc) and these ain't it. I'm going to keep dinking around with it, I've still only ever played solo and I'm sure squads is pretty different.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Peen - that is my very problem with the game. The guns don't feel good to shoot and I find it also hard to tell if I'm really doing much to the enemy. I like everything else mostly (aside from some of the more generic areas of the city), but I really hope they tune the over all "gun feel".

• Options
    Yeah the only gun that has any sort of feeling of impact is the grenade launcher

• Options
    This isn't my unique observation but it feels a lot like an Old-School arena shooter like Unreal Tournament, except that all of the guns take forever to kill anyone. I love the mobility and hacks, the gun fights shouldn't be what bogs down the action.

• Options
    One thing I've noticed is the game isn't like Titanfall in a very specific regard; momentum. Your character doesn't carry forward momentum at all. So if you do a slide to get speed, and then jump? The speed you gained from the slide is gone. The jump basically 'cancels' any momentum you had. It's very confusing because I was trying to string together slides into jump but it didn't work well. I also love the Slam attack but I never know when the attack will be a small bunnyhop slam or a giant, I'm going above the buildings and back down slam

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    That's my favorite ability, but I mostly use it for escaping problems or getting on the roof. I have similar issues with the attack...it's so wonky on if it is actually going to hit the way you expect..

• Options
    I don't know if you guys have tried the 24v24v24v24 big team battle mode they've added but it's a lot of good, chaotic, dumb fun.

• Options
    There was a patch, they did some weapon balancing and added some control over how aiming works with a controller. Nothing surprising, all seem like good changes.

• Options
    I'll have to give it a whirl, this game really didn't set the world on fire huh

• Options
    The main menu still says Beta on it and I know that's a thing that sometimes happens but it really feels like they're still tuning it. I wonder if they're going to do a bigger media/streaming blitz when they think the game's in better shape.

• Options
    So let's face it, this game isn't exactly good and it certainly hasn't set the world on fire but Ubisoft is going to keep on supporting it so I dunno, maybe? The Floor is Lava mode seems cool and well suited to this game's strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbR70NYUuZk