As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just imagine all the sinking boats blamed Obama some how

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It's those nefarious Antifa yachts that did it.

honovere on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't know if this is a 100% legit picture but it could be and I want to believe because it is basically perfect

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I just imagine all the sinking boats blamed Obama some how

You joke, but I bet there are people who genuinely believe this

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is a 100% legit picture but it could be and I want to believe because it is basically perfect

When my father was in the Coast Guard Auxiliary up here in Montana, a couple of left leaning Auxiliary members made a flyer ostensibly about boating safety - that had the picture of then-Representative Denny Rehberg's BWI incident where he managed to run his boat aground on the rocks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Today in "You can run DOOM on pretty much anything":

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Digging into the history with this mod, I'm disappointed that it's just a custom screen and microcontroller shoved into the shell of a digital pregnancy test.

"I can run Crysis on my toaster," is less impressive when step one is to throw away most of the toaster and shove a whole-ass PC into the shell.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    The World Games was postponed from this year to 2022 due to COVID19, but that's not what this story is really about. This story is about the invitational Lacrosse tournament they will host, with invites determined by the finishing positions in the World Lacrosse championships in 2018. The nations invited are

https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-men-us-women/news/the-world-games-in-birmingham-postponed-until-2022
    Men: Australia, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Israel, Japan, United States.

Women: Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, United States.

At least, that was the invite list until it just got updated.
    Eight teams were selected to participate based on where the team finished in the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship. The Iroquois finished third and Ireland finished 12th, but the Nationals were initially deemed ineligible to compete by the International World Games Association (IWGA).

The team was ruled ineligible because it does not represent a sovereign nation and do not have an Olympic Committee. But in August, the IWGA said it was willing to reverse course if a place could be found for the Iroquois team. That's when Ireland Lacrosse stepped up.

"You have gone above and beyond not only for us, but for what you believe is right," the Iroquois Nationals tweeted to Ireland Lacrosse. "Your actions have spoken louder than words showing everyone the true power of sport, and the spirit of lacrosse. We will never forget that."

The Nationals represent the Iroquois Confederacy -- also known as the Haudenosaunee -- a confederacy of six Native American tribes that dates back hundreds of years. The confederacy is comprised of the Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca and Tuscarora tribes.

The team is the only Native American team that has been authorized to play a sport internationally, and has been competing in international lacrosse since 1990, according to the team's website.

It was a bullshit reasoning to disqualify the Iroquois, especially considering they are consistently one of the top teams in the world, but once again Ireland shows they are a better friend to Native Americans than any American nation.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Digging into the history with this mod, I'm disappointed that it's just a custom screen and microcontroller shoved into the shell of a digital pregnancy test.

"I can run Crysis on my toaster," is less impressive when step one is to throw away most of the toaster and shove a whole-ass PC into the shell.

Yeah but he's also going to make one into a peeboard so you can type one letter while peeing on it.

I still consider this a win.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    The World Games was postponed from this year to 2022 due to COVID19, but that's not what this story is really about. This story is about the invitational Lacrosse tournament they will host, with invites determined by the finishing positions in the World Lacrosse championships in 2018. The nations invited are

https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-men-us-women/news/the-world-games-in-birmingham-postponed-until-2022
    Men: Australia, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Israel, Japan, United States.

Women: Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, United States.

Eight teams were selected to participate based on where the team finished in the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship. The Iroquois finished third and Ireland finished 12th, but the Nationals were initially deemed ineligible to compete by the International World Games Association (IWGA).

The team was ruled ineligible because it does not represent a sovereign nation and do not have an Olympic Committee. But in August, the IWGA said it was willing to reverse course if a place could be found for the Iroquois team. That's when Ireland Lacrosse stepped up.

"You have gone above and beyond not only for us, but for what you believe is right," the Iroquois Nationals tweeted to Ireland Lacrosse. "Your actions have spoken louder than words showing everyone the true power of sport, and the spirit of lacrosse. We will never forget that."

The Nationals represent the Iroquois Confederacy -- also known as the Haudenosaunee -- a confederacy of six Native American tribes that dates back hundreds of years. The confederacy is comprised of the Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca and Tuscarora tribes.

The team is the only Native American team that has been authorized to play a sport internationally, and has been competing in international lacrosse since 1990, according to the team's website.

It was a bullshit reasoning to disqualify the Iroquois, especially considering they are consistently one of the top teams in the world, but once again Ireland shows they are a better friend to Native Americans than any American nation.

Double especially since lacrosse is a native american sport! Excluding the Iroquois from a sport they invented is a bit much.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Double especially since lacrosse is a native american sport! Excluding the Iroquois from a sport they invented is a bit much.

This better get referenced in an upcoming episode of Archer.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That gaming commission should be fucking embarrassed and every member that supported the decision should resign. That's just being petty for the sake of being petty because you've got the control and nobody can tell you otherwise.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    There's a good reason for the commission only allowing sovereign nations. It's to prevent some countries from dominating certain sports.

Imagine if Norway could field two cross country skiing teams instead of just one, or the US was allowed to field multiple basketball teams.

Certain sports would rapidly deveolve into complete farces.

I'm not going to say that, in this case, the wrong decision was ultimately made. I wanted to clarify the reasoning behind the original policy.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No, I get why there's a rule for that, but it's inexcusable for them to treat it like law. They could literally have had a quorum for five minutes, passed something that said the Iroquois team is permanently eligible as recognized to be a nation by the commission, and just let them fucking play like they should. "They qualified but aren't yet recognized as an official nation by the assholes that control those decisions" is a huge copout when you manage a fucking game, especially made by the group being excluded. Not letting them play because the US has a team is triply insulting and absurd.

Some people just should not be let into positions with the slightest level of power, there was no sense at all involved in this decision.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    No, I get why there's a rule for that, but it's inexcusable for them to treat it like law. They could literally have had a quorum for five minutes, passed something that said the Iroquois team is permanently eligible as recognized to be a nation by the commission, and just let them fucking play like they should. "They qualified but aren't yet recognized as an official nation by the assholes that control those decisions" is a huge copout when you manage a fucking game, especially made by the group being excluded. Not letting them play because the US has a team is triply insulting and absurd.

Some people just should not be let into positions with the slightest level of power, there was no sense at all involved in this decision.

I think this is too harsh. Often, these types of decisions on what constitutes a sovereign nation for the purposes of sport are intensely controversial and can suck the committee that runs it into politics. I'm not going to say they made the right call, but demanding their heads is kinda exactly representative of why they tend to make inflexible rules in the first place.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »

I think this is too harsh. Often, these types of decisions on what constitutes a sovereign nation for the purposes of sport are intensely controversial and can suck the committee that runs it into politics. I'm not going to say they made the right call, but demanding their heads is kinda exactly representative of why they tend to make inflexible rules in the first place.

There are very quickly very big problems that will rear their heads.

When Abkhazia or Catalonia demand their own teams, there's gonna be problems.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »

There are very quickly very big problems that will rear their heads.

When Abkhazia or Catalonia demand their own teams, there's gonna be problems.

Yeah, these kind of things have political implications that go well beyond the sports themselves in some cases.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I think debating whether a team should be allowed into the championship is way too late in the process after them having spent whatever membership and tournament fees amd paying to travel and play in the rest of the games.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Colorado Edition:

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

When my father was in the Coast Guard Auxiliary up here in Montana, a couple of left leaning Auxiliary members made a flyer ostensibly about boating safety - that had the picture of then-Representative Denny Rehberg's BWI incident where he managed to run his boat aground on the rocks.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    One of the most bizarre criminal cases in Norwegian history went to court yesterday. The trial is still ongoing, expected to end in 10 weeks.

It's a bit long, but I promise you it's worth reading.

In 2018, the play Ways of Seeing premiered at a small venue in Oslo. The play critiqued racism in Norwegian society, and the power structures that enables it. The play specifically called out then junior member of the coalition government right-wing populist Frp ("The Progress Party"), and even more specifically their newly appointed (now former) Minister of Justice Tor Mikkel Wara. Included in the play was a short video of the outside of Wara's house, the video taken from a public street.

At a later showing, the common-law wife of Wara, Laila Bertheussen, crashed and interrupted the play and had to be removed. A minor kerfuffle in the press resulted, with interviews, opinion pieces, and accusations in all directions. Bertheussen reported the theatre group to the police for violating her privacy (with the video), but the case was dismissed.

Then came the threats.

Someone spray-painted "RASISIST" [sic, supposed to be "RASIST", "racist"] and a swastika on Wara and Bertheussen's car. The car was attempted set on fire twice, then actually set on fire, as was their trash can. Multiple threatening letters was sent to Wara and Bertheussen, as well as prominent members of Frp then Minister of Public Safety Ingvil Smines Tybring-Gjedde and her husband and MP Christian Tybring-Gjedde.

Wara quickly labelled this as an attack not just on himself (and the others) personally, but an attack on Norwegian democracy itself. Bertheussen pointed fingers at the actors and producers of the play, who she thought were retaliating against her personally.

Police investigated.

Then they made an announcement, and an arrest.

Of Laila Bertheussen.

Police and the DA announced that she had been behind the attacks, with the motive of making it look like she was attacked by the theatre people and other "leftist elements". Her husband had to resign his post. Lawyers and members of the press were sent suspicious, threatening, and poison hoax letters, which the police allege were sent by Bertheussen or unknown accomplices.

The charges filed include threats to Norwegian democracy (which is substantiated by her husband's words), threatening politicians including her husband, making false accusations, and arson and attempted arson.

She pled not guilty on all counts.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Of course she pled not guilty, brilliant

• Options
    CRIME PROTIP: When robbing a convenience store, don't let the clerk copy your driver's license beforehand:
    Police said the man came into the store after 7 a.m. Monday and bought cigarettes. He then jumped over the counter and grabbed the money.

The man had showed his driver’s license to the clerk to prove he was old enough to make the purchase.

The Walgreens worker gave officers a copy of the man’s driver’s license. Police discovered that he owns a vehicle matching the description of the getaway vehicle.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    One of the most bizarre criminal cases in Norwegian history went to court yesterday. The trial is still ongoing, expected to end in 10 weeks.

In 2018, the play Ways of Seeing premiered at a small venue in Oslo. The play critiqued racism in Norwegian society, and the power structures that enables it. The play specifically called out then junior member of the coalition government right-wing populist Frp ("The Progress Party"), and even more specifically their newly appointed (now former) Minister of Justice Tor Mikkel Wara. Included in the play was a short video of the outside of Wara's house, the video taken from a public street.

At a later showing, the common-law wife of Wara, Laila Bertheussen, crashed and interrupted the play and had to be removed. A minor kerfuffle in the press resulted, with interviews, opinion pieces, and accusations in all directions. Bertheussen reported the theatre group to the police for violating her privacy (with the video), but the case was dismissed.

Then came the threats.

Someone spray-painted "RASISIST" [sic, supposed to be "RASIST", "racist"] and a swastika on Wara and Bertheussen's car. The car was attempted set on fire twice, then actually set on fire, as was their trash can. Multiple threatening letters was sent to Wara and Bertheussen, as well as prominent members of Frp then Minister of Public Safety Ingvil Smines Tybring-Gjedde and her husband and MP Christian Tybring-Gjedde.

Wara quickly labelled this as an attack not just on himself (and the others) personally, but an attack on Norwegian democracy itself. Bertheussen pointed fingers at the actors and producers of the play, who she thought were retaliating against her personally.

Police investigated.

Of Laila Bertheussen.

Police and the DA announced that she had been behind the attacks, with the motive of making it look like she was attacked by the theatre people and other "leftist elements". Her husband had to resign his post. Lawyers and members of the press were sent suspicious, threatening, and poison hoax letters, which the police allege were sent by Bertheussen or unknown accomplices.

The charges filed include threats to Norwegian democracy (which is substantiated by her husband's words), threatening politicians including her husband, making false accusations, and arson and attempted arson.

I would LOVE updates on this, because I'm certain she got caught because of something hilariously dumb like printing the threats on her own stationary or something.

• Options

Then came the threats.

Police investigated.

Of Laila Bertheussen.

I would LOVE updates on this, because I'm certain she got caught because of something hilariously dumb like printing the threats on her own stationary or something.

I'll post some updates when I have time and something fun/interesting happens.

The case is actually quite interesting on its own. The police have only circumstancial evidence, but they must be increadibly certain in their case. Heads will absolutely roll if she is found not guilty.

Some of the evidence: House alarm logs indicate the front door to their house was open about 15 minutes before their car was torched. She has also done extensive online search of her "enemies" and their families. While the investigation was ongoing, she was leaking information about the case to the press (the prosecutors have the messages).

In today's proceedings, her memory was impeccable when asked about things that was good for her case, but could not remember any details about things that would harm her case.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Then came the threats.

Police investigated.

Of Laila Bertheussen.

I'll post some updates when I have time and something fun/interesting happens.

The case is actually quite interesting on its own. The police have only circumstancial evidence, but they must be increadibly certain in their case. Heads will absolutely roll if she is found not guilty.

Some of the evidence: House alarm logs indicate the front door to their house was open about 15 minutes before their car was torched. She has also done extensive online search of her "enemies" and their families. While the investigation was ongoing, she was leaking information about the case to the press (the prosecutors have the messages).

In today's proceedings, her memory was impeccable when asked about things that was good for her case, but could not remember any details about things that would harm her case.

Sounds like another idiot is about to learn the true meaning of "don't shit where you eat".

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    In the Game of Zones, you either win, or you go back to the drawing board:
    Game of Thrones author George RR Martin won’t be able to build a seven-sided, castle-style library at his compound in Santa Fe that drew objections from neighbors.

The city’s Historic Districts Review Board on Tuesday denied a request to allow Martin to exceed the building height limit in the historic district where he lives, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported. The project included a roof deck and an elevator tower.

“It is a medieval castle, and I don’t understand how we could possibly approve it in this style,” board member Frank Katz said.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Those are cans.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Those are cans.

And now I really want to knock the whole thing over to hear that almighty din.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Those are cans.

And now I really want to knock the whole thing over to hear that almighty din.

One time when I was a kid we were visiting family in Indianapolis and there happened to be a bunch of car show people staying at the same shitty motel we were staying at. It was pretty cool for a kid, a bunch of old cars you could just walk around and look at and then you got to listen to their shenanigans as they sat around drinking Bud all night. But the real best part was in the morning when a breeze would kick up and blow these hundreds of empty Budweiser cans across the parking lot. Just this magical tinkling jingle as the cans tumbled across the asphalt.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Woman who sawed off own hand found guilty of fraud
    A court in the capital Ljubljana found that Julija Adlesic, 22, had taken out five insurance policies in the year before her injury. She had claimed it happened as she cut branches.
    Adlesic stood to gain more than €1m (£900,000, $1.16m) in payouts.
    She now faces two years in prison, while her boyfriend has been given a three-year sentence.
    Adlesic and a number of relatives were arrested in 2019 after she arrived in hospital with her hand cut off above the wrist.
    The court found that she and her boyfriend had intentionally left the severed hand behind rather than bringing it with them to ensure the disability was permanent. However, authorities recovered it in time to sew it back on.
    Prosecutors said the woman's boyfriend had also made internet searches about artificial hands in the days beforehand.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What the fuck

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I could never do that to my first love.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There's a whole county in Florida infamous for doing that sort of thing

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    Woman who sawed off own hand found guilty of fraud
    A court in the capital Ljubljana found that Julija Adlesic, 22, had taken out five insurance policies in the year before her injury. She had claimed it happened as she cut branches.
    Adlesic stood to gain more than €1m (£900,000, $1.16m) in payouts.
    She now faces two years in prison, while her boyfriend has been given a three-year sentence.
    Adlesic and a number of relatives were arrested in 2019 after she arrived in hospital with her hand cut off above the wrist.
    The court found that she and her boyfriend had intentionally left the severed hand behind rather than bringing it with them to ensure the disability was permanent. However, authorities recovered it in time to sew it back on.
    Prosecutors said the woman's boyfriend had also made internet searches about artificial hands in the days beforehand.

This is not a sensible way to give loved ones a hand financially.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Finally, a Twitter channel for unsolicited dik pics:

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Finally, a Twitter channel for unsolicited dik pics:

"Do they have an Instagram?"
    - Chris Evans

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__RN3_coSCs

So majestic. So delicious.

• Options
    Man shopping at Menard's while carrying manages to shoot his:
    Police were called to the store after reports of a gunshot just before 4:30 p.m.

According to police, a customer’s weapon was unholstered in the pocket of his shorts when it went off.

The customer and another customer were struck with bullet fragments.

According to police, the customer does have a valid concealed carry permit.

This discussion has been closed.