As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Realistically a better way to avoid waste for the Olympics is to use existing infrastructure. Namely college campuses, which come with dorm rooms that are already equipped with beds.

But given that half the point of the Olympics is the graft surrounding all the single-use construction, I doubt they’d go for it.

I've thought for a while that what we should do is build a single massive sports complex, and hold as many competitions there as possible, including the Olympics. Sure, this means some areas have to travel far away every year, and some areas never do, where rotating these events evens the load on everyone, but I suspect it's still less wasteful overall.

Build a ship, call it the Olympic, and host the games on it. Best of all, the games take place in international waters, so the laws of no nation apply.

I appear to have written the intro to every 90's xtreme future sport video game. This is probably fine.

The laws of the flag nation would apply, international waters is only a lawless area in movies. There is a weird loophole, but would require the ship be built in the desert, in a small strip of land between Egypt and Ethiopia that both insist belongs to the other. It must then be launched above the Karmen Line and landed in international waters. Thus the ship could be built without any country claiming flag rights over it.

Couldn't you also build it in Antarctica? Seems easier.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Antarctica is governed by treaties not all that different from international waters, jurisdiction follows expeditions and would continue on any new vessels built there.

No, there's definitely no way for International Olympic Death Match unless we Kerbal this shit to 11.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    What if each attending country built a smaller, independent vessel, but they could all dock with each other in international waters, forming Olympic Village Voltron?

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Antarctica is governed by treaties not all that different from international waters, jurisdiction follows expeditions and would continue on any new vessels built there.

No, there's definitely no way for International Olympic Death Match unless we Kerbal this shit to 11.

Making the Olympic a space station doesn't make this any less of a 90's xtreme future sport video game.

• Options

Making the Olympic a space station doesn't make this any less of a 90's xtreme future sport video game.

How jurisdiction follows spacecraft is still an open question. The astronaut who committed bank fraud from the ISS was never prosecuted, denying the world the most bizarre court case ever and also an important legal precedent for the new world of increased space access.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I know there's a ton of sex in the Olympic Village but are there any resulting pregnancies? I assume most of the athletes would be predisposed to avoid anything that could derail their career

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if many of the female olympians were too in shape for pregnancy to be a likely possibility.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Obviously the original is a ship, and the sequel is in space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Please.

We have to wait until 3022 for Olympics in space.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Realistically a better way to avoid waste for the Olympics is to use existing infrastructure. Namely college campuses, which come with dorm rooms that are already equipped with beds.

But given that half the point of the Olympics is the graft surrounding all the single-use construction, I doubt they’d go for it.

I've thought for a while that what we should do is build a single massive sports complex, and hold as many competitions there as possible, including the Olympics. Sure, this means some areas have to travel far away every year, and some areas never do, where rotating these events evens the load on everyone, but I suspect it's still less wasteful overall.

Personally I'd go for the plan of having like, half a dozen different permanent sites and rotating between those. But yeah, the whole thing where cities have to compete for events most of them aren't qualified to hold and then spend an assload of money trying to get ready in time every few years is just a cluster.

Five sites, one for each ring on the flag

Black Site games are no rules, all deniability

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Personally I'd go for the plan of having like, half a dozen different permanent sites and rotating between those. But yeah, the whole thing where cities have to compete for events most of them aren't qualified to hold and then spend an assload of money trying to get ready in time every few years is just a cluster.

No-holds-barred battle royale, last olympian standing gets all the medals.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Atlanta did this, using already-existing facilities (a lot of them at colleges) around the state of georgia and in Alabama and Florida too. Those facilities that were built for the Olympics were designed to be reused later - the Olympic Village for instance became dorms for a university that had previously had no housing, and the swimming facility became the indoor pools for Georgia Tech.

That's partly how Atlanta managed to break even. The other two big factors were the ludicrous amounts of sponsorship deals and the Atlanta boosters being way more clever with their bribery than the IOC liked, which is why those corrupt financial vampires hated this Olympics so very, very much. Atlanta succeeded where it was set up to fail and be drained dry.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Calgary in 88 also came out ahead, and the facilities they built are still in use today.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

How jurisdiction follows spacecraft is still an open question. The astronaut who committed bank fraud from the ISS was never prosecuted, denying the world the most bizarre court case ever and also an important legal precedent for the new world of increased space access.

I googled this because it sounded interesting. But this update is on top of the NYTimes story:
    NY Times wrote:
    [Update Aug. 27, 2020: An investigation subsequently cleared the astronaut Anne McClain of wrongdoing. Her former spouse, Summer Worden, was charged with lying to federal investigators. Read here for details on that case.]

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

No-holds-barred battle royale, last olympian standing gets all the medals.

“The brawl between the Italian cyclists and the Austrian swim team continues to be ugly, with neither side able to make any effective progress. In a shocking display of savage violence US woman’s soccer team has been bludgeoned to death by the Netherlands woman’s field hockey team, with the Netherlands side taking care to ensure that the Americans aren’t simply faking injuries. But the truly exciting developments in the fifth hour of the event involve the Mongolian and English archers, who had formed an alliance to pick off the equestrian and dressage athletes and to take their horses. They’ve just now eliminated the last of the Chinese and French fencing teams from a distance, and are now on the marathon route in pursuit of the various track teams.”

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    1984 Los Angeles laid out the road map for the Olympics to be a financial success instead of a disaster when they incorporated existing structure over building new ones (wasn't in the budget), decorations that stood out while being cheap and easy to put up/take down, and sponsorships. For a long while it was the most profitable Games whereas before it the Games drained coffers and may have even contributed to the financial collapse of Greece down the road decades after they hosted one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/olympics/2021/06/03/la-84-olympics-changed-the-games-daily-cover

Madican on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Wasn't it an open secret that one of the reasons it basically took the US cleaning up FIFA to get a future World Cup hosting (and even then only when the US paired with Canada and Mexico for a North America bid) was because all the massive American Football stadiums we have meant little to no grift for FIFA execs in building new one-and-done infrastructure?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As much as a portion of LA seems to hate the idea of having the Olympics here, I'm very happy it's coming in 2028. Especially because the committee is essentially funneling all of the money into transportation infrastructure instead of building venues.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I know there's a ton of sex in the Olympic Village but are there any resulting pregnancies? I assume most of the athletes would be predisposed to avoid anything that could derail their career

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if many of the female olympians were too in shape for pregnancy to be a likely possibility.

Isn't it a thing that stress and tightly-controlled weight prevent lots of competitive gymnasts from having periods? And boy, that's sort of an abstract invasion of privacy, having that be published.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Isn't it a thing that stress and tightly-controlled weight prevent lots of competitive gymnasts from having periods? And boy, that's sort of an abstract invasion of privacy, having that be published.

It's just... biology? Not to mention that it would be pretty likely that most female athletes would be on birth control (unless it was barred for some reason, I don't know Olympic Law) even if only to keep their hormone levels more controlled so they can train more reliably. As far as I'm aware, nobody has gone around asking all the female Olympians to fill out a confidential form on their child-bearing status and then distributed it to the public, so I dunno where this "invasion of privacy" thing is coming from. It's the same as knowing that menopause exists.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    "abstract invasion of privacy" seems like an oxymoron

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Wasn't it an open secret that one of the reasons it basically took the US cleaning up FIFA to get a future World Cup hosting (and even then only when the US paired with Canada and Mexico for a North America bid) was because all the massive American Football stadiums we have meant little to no grift for FIFA execs in building new one-and-done infrastructure?

As far as I know most of the World Cup matches have been held in pre-existing stadia?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

As far as I know most of the World Cup matches have been held in pre-existing stadia?

That explains why it's one and done then, if Google's running the show

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Talking about the menstrual cycles of a bunch of people and their viability for pregnancy on an internet forum is kind of creepy.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Talking about the menstrual cycles of a bunch of people and their viability for pregnancy on an internet forum is kind of creepy.

In fairness we've also just spent a page or 2 talking about how they are in a fuck village and how they will manage their way around the anit-sex beds with their superior athletic ability, and no one seems to think that is creepy.

But if you do think that is creepy as well, sorry I implied any hypocrisy.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Not so much recently. Brazil or Russia didn't have the infrastructure beforehand and Qatar has spent the last decade building new stadiums with literal slave labor for the 2022 cup.

The horrors surrounding Qatar's venue played a huge role in the 2026 World Cup being hosted jointly by the US, Canada, and Mexico where there are no shortages of high-capacity stadiums.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Apologies if it creeped you out

I wasn't aware it was a controversial take considering it's pretty well documented medical issue

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think it's way creepier when you acknowledge the fact that a ton of those athletes are minors, some of whom are so young they may not be old enough to menstruate anyways. Hopefully they aren't the ones coming up with creative ways to circumvent the anti fuck beds.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I think it's way creepier when you acknowledge the fact that a ton of those athletes are minors, some of whom are so young they may not be old enough to menstruate anyways. Hopefully they aren't the ones coming up with creative ways to circumvent the anti fuck beds.

The beds aren't anti fuck, and there is videos of people jumping on them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Also none of them should be that young, since I'm pretty sure the youngest athletes are supposed to be 16 right? Minors, yes, but none of them are 13 or anything...right?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Also none of them should be that young, since I'm pretty sure the youngest athletes are supposed to be 16 right? Minors, yes, but none of them are 13 or anything...right?

Tom Daley went to his first Olympics (2008) at 13, I'm not sure how great an idea that was, but he qualified.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Also worth throwing out there that, while stuff has happened, the Olympic Village has a better reputation for consent and respect than the coaching staff many of the athletes trained under before arriving.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The beds aren't anti fuck, and there is videos of people jumping on them.

I know I was being sarcastic.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Tom Daley went to his first Olympics (2008) at 13, I'm not sure how great an idea that was, but he qualified.

There is some age limit but it may vary depending on sport. There was some rumormongering that the Chinese gymnastics team had used under 14 year olds one year so I guess that was a limit at some point?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I know that Chloe Kim qualified for the snowboarding team to go to Sochi, but she was under the age requirement since she was 13 or 14.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    That appears to have hit closer to the buttocks, though it's a nearer miss than any fella would like. Still, ouch.

• Options
    Keeping the Olympic tradition alive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviAqrulQwM

• Options
    Keeping the Olympic tradition alive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviAqrulQwM

Brings new meaning to "pole vault".

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    That appears to have hit closer to the buttocks, though it's a nearer miss than any fella would like. Still, ouch.

I don't believe for a second that using his taint as a shock absorber saved his nuts from the pain of which all nut owners are aware. His nuts were traveling at a certain speed one direction, little things, then in an instant they were not.

This discussion has been closed.