As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't know where else to put this, so I present The Death Of Satire, a story in two images.

Image one, in which satire is lain low:
    image-7.png

Image two, in which a doubling down finishes the job:
    image-8.png

Just...what the actual fuck, people. These are fractally bad, in which further examination illustrates deeper badness.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Ben Shapiro is racist as fuck

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yes white people can be champions of black causes. Please find me some in GOP leadership.

I'll wait.

steam_sig.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Gone wrong: Japan received Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand, with a couple of kiwi mascots. No, not those kiwis:

Gone right: this just proves Japan's mascot game to be the best.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Everyone Tritonot make bad jokes we wouldn’t want the thread to flounder

That joke landed like a tuna bricks. Perchance, you codn't have done any batter?

You might want to edit it to make it dog-compliant.

You're pawsitively barking up the wrong tree. Puns are a real dog eat dog business. Just really ruff, very dane-gerous. So stop hounding me.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Would it have been better if it were kiwi birds?

I actually love it, though I'm not from New Zealand.

steam_sig.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It's some kind of business event, so kiwi fruit probably makes more sense in context.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Bad News: woman drops her phone into a vault toilet in Olympic National Forest
    Gone Right: she rescues her phone!

https://www.q13fox.com/news/crews-rescue-woman-who-fell-in-vault-toilet-in-olympic-national-forest-after-her-phone-dropped-inside
    Two Jefferson County fire departments rescued a California woman who became stuck in a vault toilet at the top of Mount Walker on Tuesday after falling in the toilet to retrieve her phone.

The woman told rescuers that she dropped her cell phone down into the vault toilet while she was using it. She tried to take the toilet apart to get it, but when that didn't work, she said she used her dog's leash to try and fish it out.

She then tried to use the leashes as a support to lower herself in, but they weren't strong enough, so she slid and fell into the vault head-first, according to the Brinnon Fire Department.

She spent around 20 minutes trying to get out before using her phone to call 911.

Orca on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is….a vault toilet specially designed to trap and hold people in it

edited April 2022

It's a lined pit toilet. So a modern out-house. Commonly found in heavily trafficked trails that have a forestry road nearby and no water or sewage nearby. Also common at camp sites with minimal services.

Orca on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

It's a lined pit toilet. So a modern out-house. Commonly found in heavily trafficked trails that have a forestry road nearby and no water or sewage nearby. Also common at camp sites with minimal services.

Also very high on my list of places i do not want to fall in head first.

That's a joke, right?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

That's a joke, right?

Orca...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART

That's a joke, right?
    It is a very, very impressive bit of satire. There are a bunch of tweets and follow-up stories.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Their Mail Twitter page really goes whole hog with it. It’s great.

Doodmann wrote: »

That's a joke, right?

Orca...

Have you lived through the last 6 years? Satire is dead.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

That's a joke, right?

Orca...

True. But the story is posted by The Onion's account. On Twitter.

Hevach wrote: »

That's a joke, right?

Orca...

True. But the story is posted by The Onion's account. On Twitter.

I didn't know that was their official account *shrug*

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The bad news is The Onion has not actually been banned

There is no gone right

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

That's a joke, right?

Orca...

...okay yeah that's fair. I definitely can't be throwing stones from this particular glass house, jokingly or not.

They're even selling Thin Green Line and Gadsen Onion shirts and mugs.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

There is no gone right

Hedgie posted it, so that’s a given.

edited April 2022

There is no gone right

The gone right is that this is how the Onion is mocking the Babylon Bee - a right wing Onion knockoff that is currently supporting the hateful goose we've been discussing in the LGBT thread - and their actual ban from Twitter.

Which makes all this even more amazing.

AngelHedgie on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I did not hear that the Babylon Bee was banned from Twitter. This is definitely Gone Right. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png

There is no gone right

The gone right is that this is how the Onion is mocking the Babylon Bee - a right wing Onion knockoff that is currently supporting the hateful goose we've been discussing in the LGBT thread - and their actual ban from Twitter.

That's useful context because this entire thread just seems...where's the funny? without it.

There is no gone right

That's useful context because this entire thread just seems...where's the funny? without it.

Well, it's hilarious as a parody of a...certain sort of organization's response to getting banned. The fact that it's them explicitly mocking hate mongers who claim they were "inspired" by the Onion just makes it better.

Also, another tweet that is (chefkiss):

edited April 2022
    Gone right: retiree given a ride in a Dassault fighter jet as a retiring gift instead of a gold watch
    Bad news: nobody asked him first if this was a good idea

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32131240/french-dassault-fighter-jet-joyride/
    Imagine: You work hard your whole life in the French defense industry, and when it's time to retire, your co-workers want to give you something more memorable than a gold watch or a set of golf clubs. So they set up a coveted back-seat ride in a Dassault Rafale B fighter jet, the kind of perk that requires serious connections.

Just one problem: nobody asked one particular 64-year-old civilian whether he ever wanted such a ride, or showed him much about what to expect. Next thing you know, the French Investigation Bureau for State Aviation Safety (BEA-E) is issuing a report explaining how Monsieur Newbie came to experience not only the Dassault, but also its Martin-Baker MK16 ejection seat.

The fighter pilot, being a fighter pilot, probably thought he was taking it easy as he pulled into a 47-degree climb and generated a 3.7-g load. (Which, incidentally, was also beyond the doctor-ordered limit of 3 g's.) On the climb, both pilot and passenger were crushed down into the seat. But when the plane started to level off, things got real panicky in the rear seat, as a negative 0.67-g load caused the ill-buckled passenger to feel like he was about to fly out of the cockpit. Which, shortly thereafter, he did.

Apparently the quick and dirty safety briefing failed to properly emphasize the fact that the black-and-yellow striped loop in the middle of the seat, between his legs, was not a grab handle but the trigger for the ejection seat. The good doctor's g-load recommendations were surely exceeded as pyrotechnics blasted a hole in the canopy and rocket motors fired the seat and its terrified denizen out into the slipstream high above the French countryside.

It gets better from there. Read the linked article!

There's a happy ending though; our unfortunate retiree made it out with minor injuries, the pilot's seat malfunctioned so he was able to land, and everybody learned something that day.

Extra information here (go to 1:30 to skip the intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zIxqKwoHsM

Orca on
    I love that, at the end, it says his “friends” gave him no chance to bail on the gift - however he ultimately did anyway.

The writer really enjoyed doing this article.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Your think the safety briefing would cover negative Gs and definitely cover the "absolutely don't touch that" areas

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Your think the safety briefing would cover negative Gs and definitely cover the "absolutely don't touch that" areas

Assume it did. Are you going to remember 15 seconds on a one hour briefing whe you’re scared out of your mind and panic as you float towards the ceiling?

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I went white water rafting years ago and it had an orientation. They said no matter what, keep your top hand on the end of the oar. If you let go, your bottom hand in the middle will turn the thing into a spear and you will brain another person. Very clear, info. The first time we hit some white water, my top hand came right off the oar. You can't really tell people anything safety related about stressful situations, you have to drill it in.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Owning that many homes and/or being that rich and "couch surfing" while this is happening:
    5tcol37jp4q3.png
    is just one of the more bougie/gilded age things I could imagine right now.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Gone right: retiree given a ride in a Dassault fighter jet as a retiring gift instead of a gold watch
    Bad news: nobody asked him first if this was a good idea

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32131240/french-dassault-fighter-jet-joyride/
    Imagine: You work hard your whole life in the French defense industry, and when it's time to retire, your co-workers want to give you something more memorable than a gold watch or a set of golf clubs. So they set up a coveted back-seat ride in a Dassault Rafale B fighter jet, the kind of perk that requires serious connections.

Just one problem: nobody asked one particular 64-year-old civilian whether he ever wanted such a ride, or showed him much about what to expect. Next thing you know, the French Investigation Bureau for State Aviation Safety (BEA-E) is issuing a report explaining how Monsieur Newbie came to experience not only the Dassault, but also its Martin-Baker MK16 ejection seat.

The fighter pilot, being a fighter pilot, probably thought he was taking it easy as he pulled into a 47-degree climb and generated a 3.7-g load. (Which, incidentally, was also beyond the doctor-ordered limit of 3 g's.) On the climb, both pilot and passenger were crushed down into the seat. But when the plane started to level off, things got real panicky in the rear seat, as a negative 0.67-g load caused the ill-buckled passenger to feel like he was about to fly out of the cockpit. Which, shortly thereafter, he did.

Apparently the quick and dirty safety briefing failed to properly emphasize the fact that the black-and-yellow striped loop in the middle of the seat, between his legs, was not a grab handle but the trigger for the ejection seat. The good doctor's g-load recommendations were surely exceeded as pyrotechnics blasted a hole in the canopy and rocket motors fired the seat and its terrified denizen out into the slipstream high above the French countryside.

It gets better from there. Read the linked article!

There's a happy ending though; our unfortunate retiree made it out with minor injuries, the pilot's seat malfunctioned so he was able to land, and everybody learned something that day.

Extra information here (go to 1:30 to skip the intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zIxqKwoHsM

Martin-Baker, the manufacturer of the ejector seat runs an exclusive club for people who have survived using their seats so he's eligible for a fairly unique tie at least:
    https://martin-baker.com/ejection-tie-club/

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Owning that many homes and/or being that rich and "couch surfing" while this is happening:
    5tcol37jp4q3.png

...what?

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    5tcol37jp4q3.png

...what?

He's ultra rich and essentially flaunting it while we have a record level of homelessness? Even if he's couch surfing, he's basically doing the equivalent of Bruce Wayne living "homeless" in the first Batman movie where he could return to Gotham at any point, or Bear Gryhls "surviving".

• asurasur Registered User regular
    5tcol37jp4q3.png

...what?

He's ultra rich and essentially flaunting it while we have a record level of homelessness? Even if he's couch surfing, he's basically doing the equivalent of Bruce Wayne living "homeless" in the first Batman movie where he could return to Gotham at any point, or Bear Gryhls "surviving".

Are you trying to respond to something in a different thread? I don't see any mentions of Elon Musk here and I'm failing to see the gone right aspect.

asur wrote: »
    5tcol37jp4q3.png

...what?

Are you trying to respond to something in a different thread? I don't see any mentions of Elon Musk here and I'm failing to see the gone right aspect.

There was a brief discussion last page. I had the same confusion until I looked back.

This discussion has been closed.