As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Bad news: Seth Green is making an NFT TV show.

Gone funny: His NFTs were stolen in a phishing scam, losing commercial rights to the character in the show. Much twitter mocking ensued.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sarahemerson/seth-green-bored-ape-stolen-tv-show

Deans on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Did he ever have commercial rights to it or did he just own a url

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Apparently some NFT sellers are including commercial rights with purchases now, but the transfer of ownership of those rights further down the line is unclear, because NFTs.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Apparently owning an ape means you have exclusive rights to that specific ape. I thought like you that that was really stupid but that’s how it be.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Several Youtube lawyers have done videos on it and... Maybe. Probably for practical purposes because nobody with standing is actually likely to sue, but if you dragged a judge off the golf course and read this story to them they could probably tell you more arguments for no than yes.

Bored Ape Yact Club has a public contract saying whoever holds an NFT has certain commercial rights to the character in it. BUT there are a whole bunch of problems, a lot of which come back to the way the token can be passed between owners without creating a relationship between the new holder and the actual owner, and the way they can be passed without mutual consent and without viable recourse.

The former issue is helped because the owners are almost true believers - they clearly don't believe the NFT represents copyright, because they bothered to enumerate the rights transferred with the token. So while they might be able to argue in bad faith that the rights didn't go with the NFT on resale, just trying would be the end of their scam, and succeeding would be the death knell of the entire NFT *thing*. So they need to be sure they'll win *and* that they'll get enough out of winning to be worth it.

The latter is a weird one, because while certain aspects of IP and contract law could be used to argue that only the first purchaser of the NFT has the relationship and meeting of minds to claim a contractual relationship with BAYC, *if* we accept that all NFT holders gain those rights, then having it stolen absolutely means the entire rights were stolen and in this case there is no recourse to recover them.

Except one recourse: BAYC owns the rights and only licenses them through the NFT, and they could just issue a normal contractual license to Green so the show can continue without the NFT. This is another nuclear option - it would destroy their scam and put the ultimate lie to NFTs themselves, so they're only going to do this for more money than yet another cancelled-mid-season Fox Sunday night fuckstick of a show is going to be worth.

There's also another issue stemming from the Naruto v. Slater decision, which was bafflingly broad and heavy handed and potentially strips intellectual property rights from anything with a procedural or emergent aspect. It's already been used to deny copyright protection for images captured by automated cameras (because at least one step was not performed actively by human hands), for neural network generated works (because at least one step is not performed by human hands), and for accidentally recorded images or videos (because while all steps were performed by human hands, at least one was not performed knowingly and with creative intent). If push came to shove, NvS would invalidate the copyright on BAYC because they are procedurally assembled from an asset collection (unless *this* was finally the last absurd straw that got the decision overturned as precedent).

Hevach on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Apparently owning an ape means you have exclusive rights to that specific ape. I thought like you that that was really stupid but that’s how it be.

How much is "this URL is associated with my ID in this online ledger" actually ownership? Is it a legal thing?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kime wrote: »

How much is "this URL is associated with my ID in this online ledger" actually ownership? Is it a legal thing?

There's nothing to establish or imply ownership in most cases.

BAYC actually has a written license, which is a tier above 99% of these things, but they also sit on the untested ground of an uncharted legal gray zone so who the fuck actually knows.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I feel like this might be the thread to discuss the penis flytrap

The bad news is it’s a vulnerable species with a small distribution that’s threatened both by human development and IG ladies that want to pose for pictures with it

The good news is it looks like an engorged dick
    [Snip]

https://allthatsinteresting.com/penis-plant-nepenthes-bokorensis

Mod edit: removed phallic plant

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

There's nothing to establish or imply ownership in most cases.

BAYC actually has a written license, which is a tier above 99% of these things, but they also sit on the untested ground of an uncharted legal gray zone so who the fuck actually knows.

An animation would also be a derivative work. So even if you have the separate contract that actually confers copyright to the picture (since an NFT does not), it doesn't necessarily mean you have rights to create derivative works. That's besides the issue that any animation is almost certain to run into copyright violations with other pictures since they are all algorithmically generated with very minor differences between the pictures.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Including the background! The NTF weirdos assert that an ape with a teal background is a totally different product than one with a white background.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

The bad news is it’s a vulnerable species with a small distribution that’s threatened both by human development and IG ladies that want to pose for pictures with it

[Snip]

Maybe don't inline a picture of a plant that looks just like a giant dick.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Gone funny: His NFTs were stolen in a phishing scam, losing commercial rights to the character in the show. Much twitter mocking ensued.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sarahemerson/seth-green-bored-ape-stolen-tv-show

I can't read this and believe it's anything but satire. I know intellectually that it's not but my brain just rejects believing it.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

I can't read this and believe it's anything but satire. I know intellectually that it's not but my brain just rejects believing it.

The difference between reality and fiction 8s is that fiction has to make sense.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I used to have a crush on Seth Green when I was a youth and this memory combined with that tweet is making me have an existential crisis.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    There's also another issue stemming from the Naruto v. Slater decision

I just want to point out that this is a real case and it is absolutely not what you think it is

Unless you think it's a case about a monkey named Naruto suing for copyright on selfies taken with a wildlife photographer's camera that the photographer then sold as a book titled Monkey Selfies. Then it's exactly what you think it is

Naruto lost the case, as it was ruled only human beings are capable of pressing a copyright claim

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Must be AC Slater, because I'm sure Jack Slater knows plenty of non human sentients that are fully capable of processing copywrite claims.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Basically we have PETA being a dumbass as usual and a weird judge to thank for copyright around procedural works being weird.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

[Snip]

Related:
    Q: How did the Venus flytrap get its name?

A: Heh heh heh. Heh heh heh heh. Heh heh heh heh.

Here's what I tell the kids.

The Venus flytrap gets the "Venus" part of its name because its flowers are really pretty (like the goddess Venus) and are white, like the planet Venus in the sky. The plant is not from Venus. The "Flytrap" part comes from its obvious bug-eating attributes.
    This is, however...what shall I call it? A "comfortable fallacy." You often see this story maintained in books about carnivorous plants, but this is because of an article that John Ellis wrote in 1768. This is what you would call a cover story:

"...and from the beautiful Appearance of its Milk-white Flowers, and the Elegance of its Leaves, thought it well deserved one of the Names of the Goddess of Beauty, and therefore called it Dionaea."

The true reason that Venus is part of this plant's name due to the dirty minds of the kooky naturalists and nuserymen (such as John & William Bartram, Peter Collinson, William Darlington, Arthur Dobbs, John Ellis, and Daniel Solander). When they looked at the plant, they saw in its amazing behavior and attractive form (two red, glistening lobes, surrounded by hairs, sensitive to the touch), something that reminded them of female genitalia of their own species. Indeed!

Link to The Carnivorous Plant FAQ:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2880.html#:~:text=The Venus flytrap gets the,its obvious bug-eating attributes.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Basically we have PETA being a dumbass as usual and a weird judge to thank for copyright around procedural works being weird.

It does seem to suggest that a self-learning emergent AI cannot be owned by humans which feels like an amazing cultural ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Skynet doesn't need to kill us - just sue for emancipation

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ringo wrote: »

It does seem to suggest that a self-learning emergent AI cannot be owned by humans which feels like an amazing cultural ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Skynet doesn't need to kill us - just sue for emancipation

The decision doesn't say anything about ownership, only about copyright. You can own an AI, but you can probably own copyright on the base code and the program in its untrained form, any files generated to store the training can't be copyrighted because not all steps in the process were by a human acting intentionally and with creative intent.

Which is *also* kind of a shit precedent to have on the books. Neural nets are easy, but they're only as good as their training and quality training is hard. Like the AI that could identify melanomas from benign moles (because in the training data melanomas had a ruler or measuring tape), or the one that could identify mass shooters by their childhood pictures (because in the training data all the odd numbered files were shooters and even numbered files were innocents). So the future market for AI products is going to be much more about training than programming, and NvS potentially gutted that.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I don't think "must be done by a human at all steps to gain copyright" is a valid reading of the Naruto decision but, regardless, copyright projections in the US are so ridiculously overbroad I'm also not going to lose any sleep over some works becoming ineligible.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Yeah, I just think in a future sci-fi debate about AI rights that having a previous court ruling that says "Once the AI takes its growth into its own hands you have no copyright claim to the process or eventual product" is an intriguing stepping stone towards the courts having to recognize said future sci-fi AIs as having autonomy and civil rights. Basically if the law already says a self-learning AI automatically invalidates a portion of control by the creator over the AI itself, then who's to say it shouldn't eventually invalidate all control of the creator over the AI?

Which seems like a neat conundrum to ponder

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

The decision doesn't say anything about ownership, only about copyright. You can own an AI, but you can probably own copyright on the base code and the program in its untrained form, any files generated to store the training can't be copyrighted because not all steps in the process were by a human acting intentionally and with creative intent.

Which is *also* kind of a shit precedent to have on the books. Neural nets are easy, but they're only as good as their training and quality training is hard. Like the AI that could identify melanomas from benign moles (because in the training data melanomas had a ruler or measuring tape), or the one that could identify mass shooters by their childhood pictures (because in the training data all the odd numbered files were shooters and even numbered files were innocents). So the future market for AI products is going to be much more about training than programming, and NvS potentially gutted that.

No, training of a neural net expert system would be covered under trade secrets law, not copyright.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've yet to read the opinion, but I'm thinking the logical assumption would be that if you photograph yourself next to an object you didn't create, then you don't gain the copyright on the image of that object?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Someone setting a camera/program to autonomously create a picture has as much intent to create the subsequent work as Jackson Pollock did when he yeeted paint at a canvas if you ask me. It’s just a tool.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    One Japanese man takes fursona to the next level:

I didn't know there was an uncanny valley for dogs, but congratulations dude, you found it

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Uncanine Valley

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    This must be what it was like for the dogs in The Things when those dumb humans put an obvious alien imposter dog in the kennel with them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I think Fox or the NYPost are already using this in stories about schools having to recognize and accommodate furry edge cases

• Options
    So, satirical video game website made a post about solving the Zodiac Killer letter with VLC.

Then Elon Musk stole the image they made for the story (and he cropped off the Hard Drive watermark, if you're thinking it was just an accident.)

In response, Hard Drive asked that he not steal their work.

Of course, Musk responded in a... Muskian manner. And so things escalated:

Today's moral comes from Mark Twain: don't pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel.

(And to understand why this sort of theft is serious business for these websites):

• Options
    I give you Florida Man Engineering:
    In a stunt that counts as ingenious and little bizarre, someone secretly installed an operational electrical outlet on a traffic signal in Florida.

The device was found by Fort Walton Beach Officer Christopher Carter at the intersection of Perry Avenue and US-98, and closer inspection revealed it was not intended to switch the light from red to green.

Instead, it was being used as a makeshift charging station for phones and other electrical devices. Investigators realized this after finding a plug attached to a charging device of some kind.

• Options
    I give you Florida Man Engineering:
    In a stunt that counts as ingenious and little bizarre, someone secretly installed an operational electrical outlet on a traffic signal in Florida.

The device was found by Fort Walton Beach Officer Christopher Carter at the intersection of Perry Avenue and US-98, and closer inspection revealed it was not intended to switch the light from red to green.

Instead, it was being used as a makeshift charging station for phones and other electrical devices. Investigators realized this after finding a plug attached to a charging device of some kind.

Charge my phone while waiting for the bus sounds pretty great

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Some sorts of avionic interference are more embarrassing than others:

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Sounds like they got to the root of the problem quickly. Glad they didn't have to pound away at it for hours.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Could have been a sticky situation.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance here, but are vibrators especially chock-full of magnets that would throw off the plane's compass? Is it any different than a couple of laptops or some console controllers?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yes
    220px-Electric_motor_cycle_2.png

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance here, but are vibrators especially chock-full of magnets that would throw off the plane's compass? Is it any different than a couple of laptops or some console controllers?

Not magnets per se, but metal weights, since the most effective way to generate vibration is to rotate a weight off center. The thing is that you don't normally think about that when you think sex toy.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I know someone who claimed to erase a hard disk with a vibrator and I never felt like questioning it

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I know someone who claimed to erase a hard disk with a vibrator and I never felt like questioning it

That’s one way to fuck up your hard drive.

This discussion has been closed.