As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I did not like The Untouchables very much, but it had one of the most badass one-liners ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Oco5BDszE

wVEsyIc.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What has Gibson done that's "iconic" in the way his Lethal Weapon role is? Not even the eponymous Max, I think.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What has Gibson done that's "iconic" in the way his Lethal Weapon role is? Not even the eponymous Max, I think.

The Patriot?

wVEsyIc.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME0xubdHQc

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    According to the two reviews I've read Tenet is either a tedious bore or a brilliant and stunning piece of work.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Given that the best Mad Max film is the one which Gibson wasn't even in...

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    According to the two reviews I've read Tenet is either a tedious bore or a brilliant and stunning piece of work.

Is it 47 hours long like Interstellar?

Is it 47 hours long like Interstellar?

It's apparently a tiny sprint of just two and a half hours.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Without Costner you don't get Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and without Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves you don't get Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

/checkmate

emnmnme wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME0xubdHQc

Okay fair but also I won't miss it.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Without Costner we also don't get Open Range which is one of the Best Westerns in recent years.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sean Connery is 90 years old today. It's all that clean living.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I think his role in Death Becomes Her could be played by any number of other, better comic actors.

Some of the roles people are naming are almost indivisible from the actor, and some could get along fine without them.

It's an ill-defined game that doesn't say whether deleting the chosen actor deletes their entire filmography as well, or if they would be replaced by someone else. I choose to interpret it as losing the movies that they were in, so whether or not any particular performance was iconic in some way doesn't matter.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I think his role in Death Becomes Her could be played by any number of other, better comic actors.

Some of the roles people are naming are almost indivisible from the actor, and some could get along fine without them.

It's an ill-defined game that doesn't say whether deleting the chosen actor deletes their entire filmography as well, or if they would be replaced by someone else. I choose to interpret it as losing the movies that they were in, so whether or not any particular performance was iconic in some way doesn't matter.

I'd also say Willis brought a specific energy to Death Becomes Her. His character specifically playing against his tough guy image and being a weak willed broken guy bossed around by women was mega against his type at the time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Dropping Willis means we also drop Moonlighting and possibly the absurd concept that putting the "will they, won't they" couple together automatically kills your show.

Bye, Bruce.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I did not like The Untouchables very much, but it had one of the most badass one-liners ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Oco5BDszE

I never liked that scene. It didn't make sense. I get that the movie was a fictionalized version of Ness, but it didn't fit his character in real life or in the movie, why have someone who's been Mr. Law and Order the whole time just decide to cold-bloodedly murder a Capone underling out of nothing but revenge. Also the real Frank Nitti was convicted of tax evasion at the same time as Capone, and didn't die until 1943, and it was by his own hand.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png

I think it matters to consider how iconic THEY made the role.

Like, Mad Max is iconic... but not because it was MEL GIBSON playing Max.

Conversely, the Terminator portrayed by anyone other than Arnold would be an entirely different experience.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I think it matters to consider how iconic THEY made the role.

Like, Mad Max is iconic... but not because it was MEL GIBSON playing Max.

Conversely, the Terminator portrayed by anyone other than Arnold would be an entirely different experience.

Like OJ?

Except who could ever believe the Juice was a cold blooded murder machine?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    All this talk about replacing actors reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from "The Last Action Hero":
    https://youtu.be/FgrLI5XbgYY

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Maaaaybe Arnold matters in T2. The first movie, all you need is someone with muscles who can walk stiffly, aim a gun, and say 17 short lines.

nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2020
    Arnie is a very bad actor but an incredible screen presence in the right role. I can’t imagine Terminator, T2 or Conan without him.

Bogart on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Arbor Shpwarbezebber

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Arbor is a very bad actor but an incredible screen presence in the right role. I can’t imagine Terminator, T2 or Conan without him.

I think Arnold gets a little bit of flack for his wooden voice delivery. His facial expressions are just fine to top notch and its one of the reasons you can get over every character sounding the same.

wbBv3fj.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

6th Sense could've been done by any number of actors, same with Pulp Fiction.

Willis it is.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Without Costner you don't get Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and without Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves you don't get Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

/checkmate

Without Wills you don't get Die Hard and without Die Hard you don't get Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber.

/checkmate

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Paradox detected

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Costner, easily. This means Goodfellas rightfully wins best picture. Ahnald can't go because you would also lose tangential things like Hans and Franz.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Costner is weird in that he has been in a lot of good movies but he himself isn't the reason they are so good. Like Hidden Figures is a good movie with some great performances, but Costners performance isn't one of them. Even the Untouchables its the Supporting cast that make the movie; Connery, De Niro and De Palma's cinematography is the reason you watch.

He does have that everyman decency going for him, which is why he would actually make a go Pa Kent if they ever let him play the character as intended. MoS and BvS stupid version is not on him.

Edit ouch. why did I go with Scorsese? Man I am slipping.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It should be illegal to talk about things that make The Untouchables and not mention Morricone's score.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

So it's a Nolan film

TBF a lot of people said Bladerunner 2049 was boring and those people were all horribly wrong, so I'll probably enjoy getting high huffing my own farts while watching some opaque, dense sci fi.

Without Arnold you lose Terminator, but also Commando, Running Man, Total Recall, Predator, True Lies, Last Action Hero.

Also a bunch of ok but forgettable or quotable movies like Eraser, 6th Day, End of Days, Kindergarten Cop, Junior, Twins, Batman vs Robin, etc.

He has made a lot of movies lanpshading himself as an action hero, maybe more than he has actually played straight.

Not to mention he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

My indefensible proposition: Wes Anderson

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Jia Zhang-ke. It feels inevitable and there's no way it isn't good. Apparently he's rewriting the film he had to cancel shooting earlier this year, so it might already be on the way.

Eddy wrote: »

It's more fun guessing whose will be the worst.

I'll go with Adam Sandler.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Costner is weird in that he has been in a lot of good movies but he himself isn't the reason they are so good. Like Hidden Figures is a good movie with some great performances, but Costners performance isn't one of them. Even the Untouchables its the Supporting cast that make the movie; Connery, De Niro and De Palma's cinematography is the reason you watch.

He does have that everyman decency going for him, which is why he would actually make a go Pa Kent if they ever let him play the character as intended. MoS and BvS stupid version is not on him.

Edit ouch. why did I go with Scorsese? Man I am slipping.

Agreed. Thirteen Days is one of my favorite movies, and I non-ironically enjoy JFK and Dances With Wolves, and I think just about any other lead actor might have made those films better. (Not sure about Prince of Thieves -- maybe Rickman's scenery chewing wouldn't be as satisfying if there were a competent lead in Costner's place.)

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

It's more fun guessing whose will be the worst.

I'll go with Adam Sandler.

Oh Sandler's would for sure include Rob Schneider as a weird neighbor who is played for laughs because he basically follows CDC guidelines with like 5% absurdity sprinkled in.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Gilliam?

This discussion has been closed.