Options

Good, not stupid expensive headset

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
I am currently working from home and am in need of a headset. I was using the Sony Gold headset (it's all I had!) but it was wearing out.

I got another from TaoTronics that, while not awful, doesn't have the best mic. Any suggestions on a good headset? Doesn't have to be wireless since the laptop is a foot away from me.

Thanks!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm using a steelseries Arctic 5 and I've bought the newer wireless ones for people in my office... it's really good, comfortable to wear for hours, and people say I sound crystal clear on the mic.

I've bought about 4 different models of on-ear and in-ear headsets for my office and none of them sound as good as what the gamers are using. The "headset" market is imo overpriced and / or poorer quality for the same money as so-called gamer headphones.

spool32 on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What's "not stupid expensive" mean to you, in terms of dollars?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Preferably $100 or below.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

$120.

I’ve got it’s predecessor and it sounds great. Very nice mic as well, and it mutes automatically when you put it up.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    If you are working from home on a laptop, then the laptop already has a microphone and all you need is some headphones.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Consider Jabra, not flashy but really good.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    If you are working from home on a laptop, then the laptop already has a microphone and all you need is some headphones.
    Laptops have extremely shitty microphones and audio drivers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Sure if you are a professional pod caster or something, but if it's pointless work from home meetings over zoom? Laptop mic is fine.

A Sony gold headset isn't exactly a gold standard for headsets and that's what the op was using before this thread. It's my main gaming headset and it's not great!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sure if you are a professional pod caster or something, but if it's pointless work from home meetings over zoom? Laptop mic is fine.

A Sony gold headset isn't exactly a gold standard for headsets and that's what the op was using before this thread. It's my main gaming headset and it's not great!

Laptop mics are godawful. They're tinny, and they tend to pick up every noise in the county.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've got a Corsair Void Pro that I'm more than happy with.

• Options
    What percent of your coworkers are using the laptop mic? 75%?

It is really weird, to me, to pretend that they aren't enough for work meetings!

• Options
    I mean, if your work is gonna comp it, buy a fucking kick-ass headset! If you want a gaming headset for non-work reasons and want to spend money, buy a kick-ass headset! If you work in audio/video, buy a kick-ass headset!

If you want to do occasional work meetings? Nah, man, you're good.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod

It is really weird, to me, to pretend that they aren't enough for work meetings!
    It has shifted to less than 20% in my work (we had a huge stipend for work from home purchases) and Virtual meetings are 100% more intelligible now. I say that it is worth it to purchase something to make your voice not sound like a tin can.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Like 1 or 2 people on my team of 8ish.
    They're the main source of godawful feedback in meetings. You might check and see if work has a recommended one they will subsidize or provide. A couple years ago when most of my meetings became remote they said I had to order a webcam and headset from our service catalog. Since it came through our IT dept's hardware request catalog, i didn't have to pay for it. It's not fancy at all, just one of those one sided ones with a mic boom like a call center tech might have. But it gets the job done.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Second vote for the Arctis 5 @spool32 mentioned. I have an Arctis 7 and a 9X and they’re both excellent: clear mic, comfortable, good for both gaming and conferencing. I believe the 5 uses the same drivers as mine, just without the wireless capability.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I got an Arctis 3 a while back and while the mic quality on it is only okay and the sound quality is just decent, it is by far the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.

I assume one of the higher quality ones would just be better and therefore an extremely worthwhile choice.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Definitely cannot recommend Sennheiser/Epos right now. I got one of their premium headsets a while back, and the build quality turned out to be crap and the cheap plastic snapped from normal usage after a year and a half. I recently did contact them for warranty service, they initially told me to pound sand, but to my surprise, when I replied to them effectively telling them WTF? how does the warranty not cover the plastic snapping from simply putting it on my head, they actually changed their tune and offered a replacement.

However, I'm still waiting for them to actually ship said replacement. I started my ticket with them over a month ago and they've been stalling every bit of the way. When I first contacted them, I told them I had a pic of the broken plastic, and I had every bit of information ready to go, they reply asking for one single bit of information, I reply immediately, two days later, they ask for another single bit of info, and this whole process repeated till they finally asked for the picture which i even originally attached to the ticket. Even when they finally agreed to ship the replacement, it's been over a week since they got my shipment of the defective headset and they still haven't shipped the replacement.

Got so fed up I went ahead and bought a Steel Series. Even when I do eventually get the Sennheiser replacement, I don't expect the build quality to be any better so I'm just keeping it in the box and will keep it around as a backup, and even if I do use it, I'm going to have to be extremely ginger with it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Got so fed up I went ahead and bought a Steel Series. Even when I do eventually get the Sennheiser replacement, I don't expect the build quality to be any better so I'm just keeping it in the box and will keep it around as a backup, and even if I do use it, I'm going to have to be extremely ginger with it.

Sell it. Make it somebody else's problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That is the first negative review I've seen for Sennheiser. Very interesting. May I ask what model broke on you?

Sennheiser and Steelseries are my main 2 recommendations for headsets. I still have a Steelseries 5H that is working just fine (I think it's nearly a decade old) for travel. At home I spent the money on Sennheiser 5XX headphones and haven't regretted it. They just work and are comfortable in long sessions even though I wear glasses.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    As far as using my laptop, I have it closed and going to a separate monitor because I don't have the space to keep it open.

So, so far I'm seeing Steel Series, HyperX, the Massdrop and this one I saw this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Playstation-Teamspeak-Quad-DAC-Microphone/dp/B07KK31T7T/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rog+headset&qid=1598277071&sprefix=rog+headse&sr=8-3

Either way it seems I'll need to go above $100.

Edit: I work for the state, they won't pay for anything.

Magus` on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can check out the Corsair HS60 as well

• Options
    DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    Seconding the HyperX Cloud II, I've been using that for gaming and work meetings and it's fantastic, been using the same set for 3 years now.

• Options
    Plantronics has been making communication headsets for office/business needs since the 60s. They are not "gaming" headsets and they are absolutely less than $100.

$42, 4 stars and 500 reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Blackwire-USB-C-Headset-Wired/dp/B0775GNVZQ

Or the slightly more expensive $55, 4.5 stars, but only 43 reviews

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082BFZHM4/ref=psdcmw_172541_t1_B0775GNVZQ

This is from 2018, but the wire cutters number two recommendation is a $70 headset from Microsoft. Their website says they are currently redoing their wired headset testing, so there might be another article soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-usb-office-headset/

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My household has four of the cheaper Sades gaming headsets and I have gotten great performance out of them

May not be the look you want though

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That is the first negative review I've seen for Sennheiser. Very interesting. May I ask what model broke on you?

Sennheiser and Steelseries are my main 2 recommendations for headsets. I still have a Steelseries 5H that is working just fine (I think it's nearly a decade old) for travel. At home I spent the money on Sennheiser 5XX headphones and haven't regretted it. They just work and are comfortable in long sessions even though I wear glasses.

The GSP 600.

The picture is not mine, but it more accurately shows where the break started than my pictures did. Got the picture from Amazon where a number of reviews say the same thing. the "pleather" earcups split open super quickly too.
    FPw2ybu.png

If I were to stay with Sennheiser, I would have gone back to their GameONE series of headphones, that's what I had before the GSP 600, and it still functions, the volume is very touchy though and you have to dial it just right or one side won't play sound, but they did last me well over 6 years I think. When I bought the GSP 600, I thought I was getting an upgrade to that. Not so much

I'm liking my Steel Series Arctis Pro so far. Seems a lot more solid. Only minor complaint is the volume dial is right where I typically grab my headphones so I'm always turning down the volume inadvertently

VoodooV on