As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    God if I hit that long range e just one time...

I do like Lillia and as you mentioned her ult is extremely useful. Diana doesn't offer a ton of utility just lots and lots of damage, a mass CC is definitely strong and as mentioned before, helps with really cleaning up fights. It prevents enemies from running away and secures aces too. I just wonder if my team would fuck it up all the time.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    God if I hit that long range e just one time...

I do like Lillia and as you mentioned her ult is extremely useful. Diana doesn't offer a ton of utility just lots and lots of damage, a mass CC is definitely strong and as mentioned before, helps with really cleaning up fights. It prevents enemies from running away and secures aces too. I just wonder if my team would fuck it up all the time.

In my experience you’ll have at least one person every few games you need to tug to the side and remind to not immediately wake people.

Otherwise unless the offenders an aoe mage (who, to be fair just got a bunch of damage) they can’t do much damage to your set up provided you’re landing those three plus man ults by timing your flash Q to also get value from an E DoT.

And in games where the enemy team is playing spread out to avoid Lillia’s value your team is likely able to get engaging picks with their burst.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Anima Squad event's begun today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDUSKD9ClI

Meanwhile, over in Wild Rift:
    https://youtu.be/7FH9lOh-ytA

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, speaking of WR, I was checking in on it and looks like they're starting to add the older ranked skins into the Ranked store. You can actually get the Glorious Jinx skin again, although it's expensive at 20k ranked coins.

Also I rather dig this season's skin, Glorious Crimson Eve?

9os6n9x1jyie.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    xah1bov48jj4.png

Anyways I kinda like this skin line.

Man I tried a wr game today for the first time in probably a month and by god is it hard to go back. I don't even know what my cs is! And everything is happening all the time I have to run over here and oh shit dragon is up again? And all of my camps? And I can't ward and sweeper at once. Also my smite scales with level instead of just being 450 and then 900.

I've adapted too much to PC.

Alright it has been a morning of some...interesting games.

First game got turbo invaded and died. And then the rest of my team died. Here's a fun tip, there's basically nothing in my jungle worth dying over! I still knew this game was winnable because we're all bronze level scrubs and anything can happen but they were on such massive tilt from the start after that. The dumb thing is I knew I should have dodged it because we had a Syndra Malzahar bot but again, anything can happen at low elo and I'd rather these people just play champs they're comfortable with instead of trying some adc/support they don't understand.

Second game I had possibly the best Diana game ever. 8/0/2, 8.1 cs/min, I focused structures and objectives I just cruuuushed it.

Third game, another loss. I had a good game as Voli. Top Jax had a good game. Bottom had an ABYSMAL game. We faced a mid Nocturne who rushed CDR and just killed the Lux support on cooldown. You'd think our midlaner (Vex) would be able to do SOMETHING to punish the roams, but they stayed even in CS until the game spiraled out and I don't think they would have taken tower if I hadn't put herald there. So passive, never pinged missing, and Nocturne rank 1 ult has a small range so it's not like TF. The Lux complained later in the game that we needed to care about dragons and I was like "YOU'RE DEAD ALL THE TIME." People just think I'm supposed to solo that shit all the time but if the lanes are bad I'm just asking to get 4v1'd and give up dragon ANYWAYS. ]

Fourth game, another hot Diana start, was 3/0/1 before 10 minutes, had a 1602 gold lead over the other jungler at 15. But our top was Udyr vs Trist, and while he didn't totally lose the lane, she got ahead. Our Vayne bot kept disconnecting and was overall brain dead even when she was there. This was winnable but the Trist just took over the game. She's hard to pin down and she does a lot of damage. If our Vayne wasn't effectively making it a 4v5 I think we could have won it though.

Overall though, I am doing better I think. I've made a push to get aggressive early on and make my presence known. The important takeaway is that I can only be responsible for so much of the winning and losing, but the better I do the more likely I am to tip it into the win category right and then it will come from there. I think about it like basketball. There are a lot of instances of bad teams that make it to the playoffs based on one or two amazing players. They can't totally make up for the rest of the team but if they're out there averaging 30 points and a triple double you're at least putting your team into a position to win. And really all I need to do is "make the playoffs" i.e. have a positive record so I rank up.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I’m back to LoL after a month off to play Elden Ring and I feel like I’m not quite ready to be playing soloq yet (although I’m definitely still under elo so I should just spam games until I plateau and have to shape up)

I don’t understand whether I should be playing adc, mid, or support right now; I probably shouldn’t play all of them but it’s hard to choose

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    credeiki wrote: »
    I’m back to LoL after a month off to play Elden Ring and I feel like I’m not quite ready to be playing soloq yet (although I’m definitely still under elo so I should just spam games until I plateau and have to shape up)

I don’t understand whether I should be playing adc, mid, or support right now; I probably shouldn’t play all of them but it’s hard to choose

Honestly provided you aren’t swapping role every game it’s probably fine.

Especially between Support and adc. After all you’re learning the same lane.

Honestly provided you aren’t swapping role every game it’s probably fine.

Especially between Support and adc. After all you’re learning the same lane.

It's not about knowing the lane (let's be real after 9 years I know the damn lane lol), it's about really refining and developing my skills on particular champions in different team contexts, which for me can only happen with very focused repetition (e.g., how does it feel when you are the only source of engage vs one of many; how does it feel ahead or behind; how does it feel specifically if your adc is ahead but top is behind; how does it feel when there are assassins on their team etc etc etc etc etc--and how to improve within that). Bopping around doing three different roles and champ pools is not the path to success here.

But also as I climb I feel different amounts of agency and skill on different champions (like when I'm in silver it's best to play mid, but when I get to mid-gold it's more comfortable to be botlane)(but do I even get better results, I have no idea--I don't actually know if the feelings are supported by statistics)

hmm I really don't know. It's probably just about what I enjoy playing more, but that also really varies.

I played an aram last night because I was tired but had some time for a quick game and wanted to earn some sweet pass points. A couple people yelled at me for inting and I just had to wonder how little they had in their life that they took aram seriously at all.

This is the fuck around game mode, illustrated by the fact that you can't even pick your champion. I dunno what the fuck Kled does!

I thought people who try hard in normals were bad.

I played a couple Shyvana games in normals because she seems to be in vogue right now, shooting up some tier lists. She is maybe the most dangerous champion for me. The lure to just ignore shit and farm all day is so high. My first game I just farmed both jungles and averaged 8.1 cs. I was able to basically take the enemy jungler out of the game as a relevant entity. Basically any time I saw him do anything (and a lot of times I didn't) I would just run over to his camp and if he dared try to fight me I would murder him, or he quickly learned to just walk away. Because Shyvana doesn't have any CC and she can't keep you around. That means she does a lot of damage if you decide to stay around of your own volition!

However, the second game I was unable to get as much going and then she's just a semi boring character? The ult is actually up quite a lot but even when it is you're just trying to blow nerds up with E. Which is...pretty fun! And I could see a lot of comps where she'd just be a MONSTER. She just seems low on the ability to make plays and you're really relying on your laners to be competent because your ganks even with ult just seem very medium.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I found a challenger player that plays Shyv top to rush 6 as fast as possible and uses conditioning+passive+frostfire to become super tanky and get Literally Any CC with one item, before going into Demonic and more AP bruiser items. I think that build is very cool, and she's got the base damage to not necessarily need to be hyperfarmed to contribute. Especially when she can stay in the fight for ages in dragon form bc you're able to keep slappin'

However, if you think she's boring normally, that laning phase is literally just last hitting with E and desperately trying not to die before 6 bc she's even less of a hero then normal early. But hey, solo lane xp lets you play the videogame faster then normal!

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I had a top Darius get absolutely furious at me for helping him kill the Rift Herald in my last game to the point where he then abandoned his lane to let a Nasus free farm.

Like, did I do something wrong here? Why would he be that mad? I honestly couldn't figure it out and he wouldn't communicate with me beyond hurling toxic epithets my way.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I had a top Darius get absolutely furious at me for helping him kill the Rift Herald in my last game to the point where he then abandoned his lane to let a Nasus free farm.

Like, did I do something wrong here? Why would he be that mad? I honestly couldn't figure it out and he wouldn't communicate with me beyond hurling toxic epithets my way.

If you took the Eye, that is possibly "wrong," but otherwise that's a really weird behavior. In a fairly coordinated environment I could definitely make a case for "Hey I'm winning my lane, go win another lane / take Dragon" as a strategy, but the "right" call is to go along with what they're doing, generally.

Like, I would definitely call people off of helping me if it's safe for me to solo (maybe we got some kills or am I so fed I can 3v1), but also having more people there will speed it up a bit, so ultimately it's not the worst thing you could be doing.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    I did take the eye but only because he had a tower just about down and the mid lane needed the herald. I supposed that could be it but he started raging as soon as I showed up. I think taking the eye just further enraged him. /shrug

People are terrible and will generally flame you for: 1) Dying basically ever, 2) not understanding their champion, 3) not understanding their opponent's champion, 4) not understanding the intricacies of a role you don't play, 5) kill stealing, 6) doing anything they don't want you to be doing at that very moment, 7) breathing.

Honestly if someone at my elo yells at me to not do something I generally think I should be doing exactly that thing because honestly they're probably wrong (or they wouldn't be in bronze).

Haha yeah, I'm usually like "Are you in Bronze too? Maybe neither of us should listen to the other."

And I know I said this in this thread before but I truly think low elo scrubs like myself that follow LCS strategies aren't doing themselves any favors. It's like trying to run MLB drills in Tee-Ball.

So I played a game earlier and the Mobalytics app gave me the top lane build for Nocturne, with Teleport instead of smite. This actually happened a few weeks ago, but I figured I just assumed I was jungle without paying attention but ended up getting some other lane. This time I KNEW I was jungle and I just didn’t notice it until it was too late.

Do you know the pain of jungling without smite, or at least the jungle item? It’s so bad. I cleared like five camps (I had to back after three) and still wasn’t level 3. I don’t know why they don’t let you buy the jungle item without smite. It’s not really an advantage? You need that sustain, damage, and increased exp gain so badly.

The worst part was that the game felt very winnable but I was such a non factor. If I had just at least been the correct level I could have given some ganks and I think we would have gotten the win pretty easily. My team was super understanding about it too.

edited April 2022
    I've been thinking about going back to playing Zyra again since I loved her a few seasons ago (but then got frustrated because to play her well you need to step up in lane, and to step up in lane you need your adc to also step up in lane, and if they don't, you just took a terrible trade and lost lane until you b/possibly forever)

I just played a game (to be fair of silver flex queue) where I decided to pick Zyra even though we were going to have mobile skirmish teamfights with no frontline (Singed, Yone, Graves, Ezreal Zyra into Gangplank, Zoe, Lee Sin, Xayah, Lux) and on a whim bought Crown of the Shattered Queen, and god damn--that might be THE Zyra build. I mean yes into tanks blah blah blah Liandries, shredding, etc--but if you're playing with squishies into squishies, the ability to not get annihilated the second you step into a teamfight is incredible. It feels SO GOOD.
    Since I was ahead and it didn't particularly matter, I also built Zhonyas, Banshee's Veil, and Rylai's in order to be the tankiest Zyra you've ever met

credeiki on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking about going back to playing Zyra again since I loved her a few seasons ago (but then got frustrated because to play her well you need to step up in lane, and to step up in lane you need your adc to also step up in lane, and if they don't, you just took a terrible trade and lost lane until you b/possibly forever)

I just played a game (to be fair of silver flex queue) where I decided to pick Zyra even though we were going to have mobile skirmish teamfights with no frontline (Singed, Yone, Graves, Ezreal Zyra into Gangplank, Zoe, Lee Sin, Xayah, Lux) and on a whim bought Crown of the Shattered Queen, and god damn--that might be THE Zyra build. I mean yes into tanks blah blah blah Liandries, shredding, etc--but if you're playing with squishies into squishies, the ability to not get annihilated the second you step into a teamfight is incredible. It feels SO GOOD.
    Since I was ahead and it didn't particularly matter, I also built Zhonyas, Banshee's Veil, and Rylai's in order to be the tankiest Zyra you've ever met

Would you considering going ingenious hunter on a build like that? Taking Crown and Veil to 30-ish seconds CDs is probably a medium effect on SR, but it's gravy on top of shaving half a minute off Zhonya's.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

I think that build into that comp means you are the tank until further notice.

Me elsewhere:

Would you considering going ingenious hunter on a build like that? Taking Crown and Veil to 30-ish seconds CDs is probably a medium effect on SR, but it's gravy on top of shaving half a minute off Zhonya's.

I still haven't decided what I like to do runes-wise for Zyra. When I was playing a lot of Zyra (...I don't even remember if it was mostly before or after the new runes), I think I often played Dark Harvest (cheap shot+eyeball hunter+ultimate hunter) /sorcery (manaflow band+scorch). These days I usually play with Arcane comet (manaflow band+cdr+transcendence)/precision (triumph+the one that does more damage to low targets). There isn't a very good reason for that; it's just the setup I use for Lux so there's a page there I don't have to think about.

I think probably it might be best to have resolve secondary with the one that makes you take less damage from subsequent hits and idk maybe font of life. That means I would need sorcery primary still because manaflow band feels mandatory to me.

If I wanted to take red first, I don't know if dark harvest or electrocute is ideal, honestly. Ingenious hunter...hm. Feels so goofy! I think I've probably never used it a single game in my life. I do get why, with so many item cooldowns; it's clever. But I think I'd rather have the ultimate up more often.

Does Presence of Mind compensate for mana issues enough--would let you run red primary, but I don't know if that really matters. Coup de Grace and Scorch are probably somewhat comparable; maybe the trade-off is if you're running Electrocute (Scorch) v. Dark Harvest (CdG) for synergy. Ingenious Hunter is probably good if you're running Crown / Luden's alongside Zhonya's, so that might be more comp dependent. Ultimate Hunter is really nice on Zyra as a general purpose option.

Also, I just like Dark Harvest procs...

Me elsewhere:
    Ivellius wrote: »
    Does Presence of Mind compensate for mana issues enough--would let you run red primary, but I don't know if that really matters. Coup de Grace and Scorch are probably somewhat comparable; maybe the trade-off is if you're running Electrocute (Scorch) v. Dark Harvest (CdG) for synergy. Ingenious Hunter is probably good if you're running Crown / Luden's alongside Zhonya's, so that might be more comp dependent. Ultimate Hunter is really nice on Zyra as a general purpose option.

Also, I just like Dark Harvest procs...

hah ok well I did try dark harvest zyra with ingenious hunter (sorcery secondary) and I can't say I felt the difference

the tankiness from the shattered crown absolutely kicked ass again though--Teemo, Hecarim, Yone, Ashe, Zyra into Gangplank, Gwen, Katarina, Jhin, Nami--so no one is keeping Gwen or Kat from going in on me and Ashe (obviously hec and yone just dive) and it's amazing to not just explode (also to not get 75% hp'ed by a single gangplank barrel)

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I often take dark harvest because I am a bad who believes every lane I am in should be a kill lane.

But Zyra absolutely has the tools to make the most of it.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    edited April 2022
    Diana mastery 5 in 38 games, exactly the same speed as Nocturne was. Last game got carried hard by an Irelia top. I thought the 0/10/5 Vayne had dug us a hole we couldn't get out of but she could.

I had a very medium game. Their comp was Shen/Jax/Lux/Blitz/MF so of course they did a level 1 invade. Nobody died because I'm really paranoid about waving everyone off immediately. Don't die for shit in my jungle, just leave please. So I went to start his red and I almost got it, I could watch the Shen walk past me in the brush, and then when he gets to the tribrush he turns around to ward the red buff bush and finds me. At this point I have it at like 600 or so HP, so I can't smite it and leave if I want to live, the Lux can very easily rotate up and I don't know where the Jax is, he's probably done with my red since he got a leash. I leave without dying but I've used my pots in the process and I'm just very behind.

Ganks were tough because Lux is hard to get, I have to basically run at her and if she has Q it stops me even if I trade since I can't gap close, and our bot lane was dead all the time. I got a couple ganks with Irelia but mostly she drove that Shen into the ground. I mostly tried to keep myself in the game by farming hard and trying to take what I could from the Jax who had a much better gank set up with his lanes, so he'd attempt more and I'd just take his farm. Just trying to recognize what I could do to be carryable and useful in the end game. Make money, don't feed, and be a guided missile of damage in team fights. Standard playing from behind stuff I think.

Also from the pass I have 50 mythic essence so far, so my hopes are moderately up that I might be able to get the prestige Diana skin AND the Hextech Amumu. They're both pretty sweet, and I'll get 125 essence from the anima squad shop, so I need to scrounge another 50 somewhere for Amumu. On the other hand, I think pass rewards are about to drop off steeply so getting other tokens might be slow going, I'm at 880 currently of the 2200 needed.

ChaosHat on
    I often take dark harvest because I am a bad who believes every lane I am in should be a kill lane.

But Zyra absolutely has the tools to make the most of it.

Every lane I am in is a kill lane

one way or the other...

The people who decide to talk trash are always the most fascinating individuals. Like if I was Silver IV and I lost to a group of mid bronze people I probably wouldn't be yelling "yall hard stuck bronze trash" I'd probably be embarrassed that I lost, much less went 4/7/3 and had the least CS of any non support in the game. And then when I pointed that out, he said "you're never going to be in bronze" and then I looked up his 40% win rate and told him not to worry, he'd be here soon too.

Then their top Sett in Iron 1 decided to also call me a scrub and I'm like...dude you're 1/4 right now. I don't have rigorous data to back this up but I'd be willing to bet that it's the people who do the worst who talk the most shit. Even if you get an MVP who loses, at most I feel you get a "trash team" and then they leave the lobby. The shitty performers are the ones willing to talk your ear off about how bad everyone else is.

Anyways, an MVP performance (Mobalytics told me so) was not enough to get me the S ranking on my second Diana game, so my streak of instantly getting mastery 6 after mastery 5 is broken :( I bet I could have placed like two wards right at the end and gotten it. I never think of that. Diana is now my highest win rate champ(56%) which is pretty decent given where I started.

I played Renata for the first time last night; I think I like a lot about her kit but the ult is hard to use well. It might've taken me about 3 Qs before I remembered you have to reactivate it to shove. :(

My favorite moment might've been when our mid Fizz (who was fed and carrying us after a bad bot lane performance) complained about me standing around when he had 3 people on him. I told him I'd dropped everything on cooldown and even revived him and he said, "I don't even know what your champion does."

Me elsewhere:
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Worth mentioning periodically but playing ranked with chat disabled is legit elo boosting, even if you're generally sanguine about rage in chat, you play better just because you're not dedicating real mental energy to reading it and laughing at it.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Worth mentioning periodically but playing ranked with chat disabled is legit elo boosting, even if you're generally sanguine about rage in chat, you play better just because you're not dedicating real mental energy to reading it and laughing at it.

Interesting that it's still boosting even if you don't tilt. I have at times found it genuinely useful to type or receive info and the flaming is just funny to me when it happens.

Also I like to farm my allies for sweet commendations. Gimme dat honor.

edited April 2022
    So I decided to do a warm up normal before ranked and I picked Lillia. Just to try to get some reps with her outside of ranked. Favorite moment of all time, we're level four and he ganks mid and I'm finishing up scuttle and I rotate to help. Nothing happens except he gets kind of low and runs back down mid to his base. Light bulb moment "Oh my raptors are up, his are definitely up let me grab those and krugs and then I'll back too."

So I run in, drop my ward trinket in the brush between mid and raptors and start the camp. A second later I see Hecarim coming from mid towards raptors. I could fucking HEAR his thought process. "Yeah I'm pretty low on HP but I'm Hecarim. I'll go do raptors, regen off the camp, go do krugs, go back with more money."

EWQ dead. He never saw it coming.

Oh and another good one. Tryn tried to dive our Sion top and he's DEEP. I'm doing krugs so I go over to interfere and hit him with the E. He hits undying rage, tries to peace out. No no, running won't help your anger issues, just try sleeping it off! He falls asleep and the tower finishes my work for me as the rage ends.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2022
    Alright, I've felt better on Diana than I have basically any champion at any point, which I guess isn't saying much because the only other one I devoted this much time to is Nocturne. I think I just get her and what she wants to do really well right now. Out of my last 20 games I have a 61% win rate and Diana specifically has a 71% win rate (Nocturne going 1-2 in the games I picked him out of the 20).

Diana just gives you so much CONTROL over the things you need to do to win the game. She gets picks no problem. One wrong step and she's on you. She engages well, and does a fuckton of damage in teamfights. Did you know that her ult does more damage the more people you hit? I found that out yesterday after like 40 some games! Reading is good. Her passive means you take objectives REALLY QUICKLY. She's a good shadower, so you can just follow the person on your team in the lead and back them up, or she's a good leader, saying "this is what we're doing."

I think what's also gotten a lot better is my high level decision making and trying to get my teammates to come along with it. No no, don't back right now, let's get plates. Don't go to dragon, there's time and they can't get it before us. Take middle inhib and then fall back to dragon. Calling out to your top laner that there's four bot and since his laner is dead it's time to go get two towers, or my favorite "fuck the cloud drake we're up 3-0 on dragons, let's get baron."

What I really need to work on is more aggressively tracking the jungler and a) calling that out and b) using that to counterjungle to really make my farm skyrocket. Earlier I had a game where our midlane was dead, herald was up, and top was about mid way pushed. Obviously that Viego is going to go towards top because he wants that herald and he knows I can't really contest him over it because then top collapses and at best it's a 2v3 if my top laner even notices his laner left. So I told him "hey care top viego probably up there" and then he pushes the wave more and dies ten seconds later.

Last, can I say I HATE the LP system? I wish it was just "a win is a win" because I keep earning 14 LP on a win and losing 16 or 17 on a loss and it's really annoying to go 3-2 on the day and only be up half a win's worth of points. I get that because I'm on such a hot streak the game is probably skeptical that I've improved that much but it feels like there's no need to be so granular and it's kind of demoralizing too. I had to play so long for it to shit me out of smurf queue and now that I've recovered it's like "wait but really?"

Oh also can someone clarify something? I lost a game because this Kled turbofed nasus and was 0/4 by like 15 minutes. He said he had to die to end the lane freeze and that seems dumb because now he has four kills and is up 15 cs but I don't play top lane so I dunno.

Also seems like that nasus is real bad if you died four times and are only 15 cs behind because if I killed the enemy jungler four times I'd be up a lot more cs.

ChaosHat on
    edited April 2022
    Oh also can someone clarify something? I lost a game because this Kled turbofed nasus and was 0/4 by like 15 minutes. He said he had to die to end the lane freeze and that seems dumb because now he has four kills and is up 15 cs but I don't play top lane so I dunno.

Also seems like that nasus is real bad if you died four times and are only 15 cs behind because if I killed the enemy jungler four times I'd be up a lot more cs.

Considering I've been shoved into dabbling in top lane, this is...potentially kind of correct, but 1) I have serious doubts that someone in Bronze can hard freeze and 2) you still shouldn't be dying 4 times doing that--you've got to be playing the lane differently. A good Kled can shove that into Nasus with little problem but...eh, it's Bronze. (I think?)

It does sound like you're getting more aware of macro, which is a lot of what jungling is really about.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Ivellius wrote: »

Considering I've been shoved into dabbling in top lane, this is...potentially kind of correct, but A) I have serious doubts that someone in Bronze can hard freeze and B) you still shouldn't be dying 4 times doing that--you've got to be playing the lane differently. A good Kled can shove that into Nasus with little problem but...eh, it's Bronze. (I think?)

It does sound like you're getting more aware of macro, which is a lot of what jungling is really about.

Yeah I think the macroing is the thing I can focus on when I'm not as concerned with the actual game mechanics. I think the next level is even longer term game planning because sometimes I have an issue where dragon is going to be up but my camps are spawning away from it where I'd really like to clear towards it, do a gank and then do dragon. Oh and using my f-keys to see laners and read the lane better to know how it's going to go when doing that kind of planning. "oh the wave will be at their tower by the time I get there/clear to it."

The other things have come a lot from watching Virkayu. Path reactively. It used to feel bad leaving a camp halfway through to help a laner in trouble whether a gank or just their opponent, especially if they were a goner. But in reality it takes longer to kill people than you think and even if they are dead, sometimes you can mop up opponents who are half health and spent. Or planning your routes outside in, taking something you can as far out, dragon, ganks, or enemy jungle and rewarding yourself with your own camps after.

And that's good to know about top. That's what I figured. I don't think there's a reason to feed.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    That's the sort of thing low elo players learn from streamers that just doesn't translate to their own games. At lower elos, you can solo break a freeze with good vision/map awareness, or if you're not confident in your mechanics, you can just sit in the brush and wait for your opponent to fuck it up, which they inevitably will. The game state never demands you actually die for it.

Just on it's face, you dying gives them money and then they can just keep doing whatever they were doing anyways? But now they can go back without fearing that you'll fuck it all up for them?

If I was doing my game plan and my opponent just kept inting into me yeah that's the biggest win but I'm not a laner so I wasn't sure if that was a thing. "The enemy jungler keeps counter jungling me let me go die when he takes his own blue to throw him off his rhythm."

A well-maintained freeze really, really fucks you over top, and it's worth rolling the dice on your life to break it if your only other option is lose several waves of experience. But that's rarely your only option outside diamond-level games.

A well-maintained freeze really, really fucks you over top, and it's worth rolling the dice on your life to break it if your only other option is lose several waves of experience. But that's rarely your only option outside diamond-level games.

Oh, yeah, I'm not trying to be dismissive of this, exactly, but I wouldn't think it's going to accurately maintained at lower ranks. Sure, someone might die once somewhat acceptably, but after a couple of deaths usually the other top laner will pin you under tower anyway given that they'll probably bully you and want to farm their own waves. (I think that makes sense?)

But after writing this I decided I was curious and went to watch the replay, and both top laners had a few moments where they ended up freezing pretty well. After his first death Kled sets up a pretty decent freeze and actually gets ahead of Nasus in XP and gold. Right before Kled's second death, Nasus was freezing it okay (and it likely needed intervention), but Kled does a bad job shoving it in (doesn't use Q on waves) and takes a couple of tower shots and then dies pretty easily. People might be better than I assume...

Advice specifically about that lane: generally, don't gank for a dismounted Kled unless the enemy is in really rough shape (he has very little stickiness and no CC of his own), and don't be afraid to commit ultimate early sometimes--you had a chance to shut down the Nasus a bit later, which might've more delayed his scaling than halt it but could've helped.

Me elsewhere: