As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    oh come the fuck on konami

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I have introduced my friends to the wonders of Parsec, since we can't play multiplayer games in person right now it's a great solution.

Is there much I'm missing beyond the following that is couch coop/vs?
    Armello
    Broforce
    Brothers
    Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Cryptark
    Double Dragon Neon
    Enter the Gungeon
    Fight n Rage
    Gauntlet
    Guacamelee 1&2
    Heave Ho
    Keep Talking & No One Explodes
    Lara Croft and the Guardian Light
    Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
    Magicka 1&2
    Monaco
    Mother Russia Bleeds
    Overcooked
    Renegade Ops
    Risk of Rain
    River City Ransom Underground

Divekick
    Dragonball Z Fighterz
    Duck Game
    Frog Climbers
    Gang Beasts
    Invisigun Reloaded
    Jackboxes
    Killer Queen Black
    Lethal League/Blaze
    Mount Your Friends
    Nidhogg
    Rivals of Aether
    Sportsfriends
    Stardust Vanguards
    Stickfight the Game
    Talisman
    Towerfall Ascension
    Ultra Street Fighter 4
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Wand Wars

I'm aware of Crawl and going to pick it up at the next sale, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Rocket League is really enjoyable couch coop. Either vs each other or against rando's. I think it has a vs cpu mode as well. I only played it recently when a younger cousin came over to play some games. I think we played for 5 hours straight.

It's free on Epic I think now as well.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yes I'm rather surprised GOG would sell something that shitassed but maybe I have an unduly inflated opinion of them

• Options
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yes I'm rather surprised GOG would sell something that shitassed but maybe I have an unduly inflated opinion of them

IME for really old stuff, that takes like DOSbox, they'll work to find a really good config that works on modern systems. But for anything else they're basically just steam.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Y'all got me itching so I started up a new campaign in BattleTech and Dekker died to a scorpion truck on the last turn.
    Fucking light mechs are deathtraps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MGS1's port (based on the Integral version) was pretty good, but kinda wacky in some ways. There are some nice QOL changes, like have a save menu immediately available (though you could still call Mei Ling if you wanted), but some things were real off compared to the Playstation version, like having some weirdly truncated music and missing special effects. The way they did the Psycho Mantis fight gimmick was also a bit strange, but given it's not a console, it's pretty admirable they even attempted to bring it over. So, it's like they tried.

MGS2 was booty from the jump and was a shitty port even at the time of release, so I shudder to think how the fuckin thing runs now. Like, this thing is a bad port of the Xbox version, itself a questionable port from the PS2.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

If you don't support Xbox 360, One, and PS4 controllers, "Most of the popular PC controllers are supported" is a bald-faced lie.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

well if it's the only version available technically it is the best version available

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Konami is Konami and Konami is the worst.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why the triggers aren't bindable

MGS2 uses analog triggers on the ps2!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Also that Castlevania and Contra pack isn't
    a new colllection, its an old PC pack from the 90s/early 2000s and is just a collection of NES ROMs in an emulator, no bonus material and only 5 games

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I feel like when GoG reached out to Konami to ask about this, some dude just ripped the ISOs for these games and emailed it and then went back to sleep

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

135.png

Those are "shoulder buttons", not "triggers". Totally a different thing, not even close to being the same, no sir.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

PS2 didn't have analog triggers, it had analog face buttons.

It's a common problem with how the 360 controller was designed to work for games that weren't made with it in mind. Because the triggers are analog they don't appear as buttons to DirectInput. Furthermore, Microsoft decided that in DirectInput the triggers should be opposite directions on a single axis, meaning that holding both triggers fully is the same input as not holding them at all.

For a game to properly use the 360 controller's triggers it needs to use XInput. Or in other words, be made after 2005.

• Options
    there is a FOSS wrapper that fixes that for a bunch of older games

https://github.com/csutorasa/XOutput

its been included / preconfigured with a few remasters, but it seems like Konami just didn't bother with it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The ps2 had analog shoulder buttons too, they just weren't designed like a trigger

In MGS2 you use them to lean left and right in first person

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you guys remember when konami?

me neither

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you guys remember when konami?

me neither

i do, actually. but it's very blurred

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I remember the guy who created the konami cheat code died this year

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I still think it was dumb doing separate remakes of this and Zwei. Or not just skipping them and remaking Saga. Or remaking Shining Force 3, the actual best forgotten Saturn game that isn't Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka.

Midnite on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The first game honestly isn't robust enough to feel like a complete product these days

Original+Zwei would feel a lot more substantial

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    If it was like 10 bucks, it's a stretch but whatever, I could see it being worth it for the nostalgia. $24.99 is some Sega selling 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker for full price shit.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Who do you think you are, Konami? Nintendo?

• Options

Wingspan is a relaxing, award-winning strategy card game about birds for 1 to 5 players. Each bird you play extends a chain of powerful combinations in one of your three habitats. Your goal is to discover and attract the best birds to your network of wildlife preserves.
    20200917 Wingspan (birds, strategy, card-based, relaxing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptR7fvKm1o

it's another one of those left-feather right-feather bird preserve-em-ups where you play cards to build a nice bird sanctuary

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Also, here's a nice review the board game version, which should give you a good idea of whether you'll enjoy the virtual version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnCvlfMvXY

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Personally, I think playing Stellaris as a strategy game is kind of a fool's errand, and this is as someone with thousands of hours in it. Even with all the changes the mid to late game still bogs down and trends towards snowballing and doomstacks. You'll hit a point where victory is a forgone conclusion hours and hours before you actually get it.

What Stellaris is amazing at though is being a space opera generator. It's so crammed with tropes and references (Like the new death-themed flesh is weak necroids who aren't necrons, that's a totally different death-themed flesh is weak alien race from a popular sci-fi series that is undergoing a major marketing push right now.) that it's very, very good at creating just amazing stories.

It's almost exactly like Crusader Kings in that way. Sure you can play to "win" but the real secret sauce is the emergent story along the way.

Yes definitely agreed, the late game gameplay part can get very tedious and is by far the weakest aspect, and it would be one of my favorite games ever if they figured out a way to make it more fun to play there. This is a problem most if not all grand strategy games have though, I don't find it a huge amount worse than civilization or master of orion in that respect.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1599774123
    Scrap Garden is free to redeem on Steam until next Sunday:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/465760/Scrap_Garden/

• Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    oops! all shitheads!

"Oh hey, remember last week when Rayman/Beyond Good and Evil creator Michel Ancel announced he was leaving the game industry? Looks like he may have jumped ship as French outlet Liberation was about to do an expose on his abusive management." Link to article (in french): https://next.liberation.fr/images/2020/09/25/jeu-video-les-coulisses-effarantes-d-un-blockbuster-geant_1800522

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The ps2 had analog shoulder buttons too, they just weren't designed like a trigger

Huh, I thought it was just the face buttons. Then again, I only know about them because of MGS and it being so weird.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Huh, I thought it was just the face buttons. Then again, I only know about them because of MGS and it being so weird.

I think gran turismo might also use them for gas and brakes? But I'm less sure about that

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I think gran turismo might also use them for gas and brakes? But I'm less sure about that

It did. Never felt particularly great, so you probably used the right stick if you needed that kind of control.

Also fun fact: the PS2's d-pad was also pressure sensitive. I have no idea if any game actually used that for anything.

• Options

dude in the white golf shirt not feeling the groove

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    oops! all shitheads!

"Oh hey, remember last week when Rayman/Beyond Good and Evil creator Michel Ancel announced he was leaving the game industry? Looks like he may have jumped ship as French outlet Liberation was about to do an expose on his abusive management." Link to article (in french): https://next.liberation.fr/images/2020/09/25/jeu-video-les-coulisses-effarantes-d-un-blockbuster-geant_1800522

kinda fucked up that he still comes out looking better than his peers in this because he's "just" an asshole boss and not a racist sexpest on top of it.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

dude in the white golf shirt not feeling the groove

Looks like me whenever people try to force me to dance. Like, I just never want to, so when they try to get me to I'm like ehhhhhhhhhhhhh until they fuck off and leave me alone.

It's me, the weirdo that goes to concerts and just stands there and listens to the music, then leaves.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    oops! all shitheads!

Sounds like he was creating a seriously toxic Ancel culture in the workplace.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    oops! all shitheads!

Sounds like he was creating a seriously toxic Ancel culture in the workplace.

don't steal pooro's bit

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    HI HELLO

The first episode of Scarlet Hollow, a brand new narrative horror game by @blacktabbygames (me and @tonyhowardarias' new game studio), is now available for FREE on Steam: https://buff.ly/307H8oM

AND on itchio: https://buff.ly/332p4hx

Have fun!! We hope you enjoy!

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.