As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

God damn I love the internet.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    If I had
    Brolo wrote: »

Not gonna lie

Except for the motorcycle one I would absolutely love to do this.

it's me, I'm the person who could invent a whole list of fictional motorbikes (though the caveat of them all being visually identical save for graphics is hellish for me, an otaku-grade bike spotter, I'd just justify it by them being some kind of homologated bike series a la MotoGP and make a bunch of teams with different colored liveries accordingly)

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    so, let us assume I am both dumb and able to come into a decent amount of money in the next month or so

my stupid-ass laptop has gone from "running hot" to "oh boy I literally can't touch the keyboard when it does anything CPU intensive," and I think it's time to get a desktop

again, I am dumb, so I am not confident in building my own machine, so I am looking at the premium pre-built people

if I want to get something that'll do 1440p at 60FPS locked or higher, realistically, how much should I expecting to spend? I'm seeing anywhere between 1300-2000 and I'm a little too overwhelmed to really figure out what to look for

I know that I want a turn-key solution, I'm definitely not building my own machine

help, smart people!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    the stupid boots have motorized wheels on them that move you backwards as you step forward

so you kinda moonwalk in place while taking larger steps

just if the tracking isn't 100% accurate all the time... you might start kinda reverse skating backwards around the room and into objects and people and such

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yes that is exactly what I want

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    YaYa wrote: »
    so, let us assume I am both dumb and able to come into a decent amount of money in the next month or so

my stupid-ass laptop has gone from "running hot" to "oh boy I literally can't touch the keyboard when it does anything CPU intensive," and I think it's time to get a desktop

again, I am dumb, so I am not confident in building my own machine, so I am looking at the premium pre-built people

if I want to get something that'll do 1440p at 60FPS locked or higher, realistically, how much should I expecting to spend? I'm seeing anywhere between 1300-2000 and I'm a little too overwhelmed to really figure out what to look for

I know that I want a turn-key solution, I'm definitely not building my own machine

help, smart people!

Well a nvidia 2060/2060 super is what would get you those FPS rates. Looking at ibuypower, seems you can get a Ryzen 5 with a 2060 for around $1,200 or so.

You may want to wait till the end of next month though. AMD has some new CPU news early Oct and video card news at the end of the month. Nvidia will be releasing their 3070 card mid Oct as well. Might drive prices down even more as retailers will want to unload old stock.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    edited September 2020

help, smart people!

wait for PCs to come out with the 3070 and 3060ti in them, they'll both be out by the end of the october

tCAIkyw.png
    https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Chronos-Gaming-Desktop-Motherboard/dp/B08248WSJ7/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=16gb+ryzen+nvidia&qid=1601339661&sr=8-4

bGI4GYY.png
    https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Supreme-i7-9700K-GeForce-SLC8260A2/dp/B07VFFCQ6L/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=16gb+ryzen+nvidia+2070&qid=1601339733&sr=8-4

like a slightly updated version of these with the latest 3000-series graphics cards should be fine for 1440/60

you may have to put up with some garish cases though

it weirdly starts getting more expensive to get just plain cases for this class of PC

Brolo on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Going Under is good

help, smart people!

wait for PCs to come out with the 3070 and 3060ti in them, they'll both be out by the end of the october

like a slightly updated version of these with the latest 3000-series graphics cards should be fine for 1440/60

you may have to put up with some garish cases though

it weirdly starts getting more expensive to get just plain cases for this class of PC

This is really crazy to me. I was looking at some cheap PC's for friends and I can't believe how ugly the cheap pre-made machine cases are.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I build my own systems at this point largely to spite products full of LEDs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Those VR boots must be so dang expensive

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited September 2020
    The Dell XPS seems to be minimal, though it looks like something from 2000. The Maingear Vybe is not bad, but could bump you over $1500 quickly. You could look at AvaDirect. I've not heard much about them and their website sucks, but they at least offer Fractal cases for reasonable prices.

Trajan45 on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    well looks like that if the money I'm assuming I'll get comes in at the right time, it should be right as the 3070 launches, so hopefully IBUYPOWER or someone similar will have a prebuilt ready to go, or I can just swoop in and get a cheap 2070 prebuilt

thanks all!

well looks like that if the money I'm assuming I'll get comes in at the right time, it should be right as the 3070 launches, so hopefully IBUYPOWER or someone similar will have a prebuilt ready to go, or I can just swoop in and get a cheap 2070 prebuilt

thanks all!

If you’re good with a 2070 and want to save, might keep an eye on slick deals and other such sites for refurbished Dell machines. I’ve done that for years. You get a price break and sometimes 30% off. Not sure how often their gaming machines are refurbished though.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So with the Game Pass / EA Play thingy, are we expecting to see the EA content just showing up as part of the Game Pass library, or are we still going to have to use a separate app?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    the stupid boots have motorized wheels on them that move you backwards as you step forward

just if the tracking isn't 100% accurate all the time... you might start kinda reverse skating backwards around the room and into objects and people and such

Or the tracking bugs out and rolls you full speed into the nearest wall.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So with the Game Pass / EA Play thingy, are we expecting to see the EA content just showing up as part of the Game Pass library, or are we still going to have to use a separate app?

I would imagine it comes into the Xbox app. It has to be tied to your MS login, I don't think EA is going to do secondary sign ins or whatever.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Honestly we should solve more problems with huge robot shoes

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Or the tracking bugs out and rolls you full speed into the nearest wall.

But surely there must be some downsides as well?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

The very first thing in that video is the guy walking on a flat floor IRL to go up stairs in VR. I feel like doing that would mess with me at least a little bit.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Honestly we should solve more problems with huge robot shoes

Seven league shoes?

Every step moves you seven leagues, you just have to be very careful how you use them so you don't end up spread out over said distance...

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Have we tried making a full VR suit that you wear in tandem with a self contained breathing apparatus while suspended in a big tank of warm goo

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    spelunky day spelunky day spelunky day spelunky daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Spelunky 2 builds upon the unique, randomized challenges that made the original a roguelike classic, offering a huge adventure designed to satisfy players old and new. Meet the next generation of explorers as they find themselves on the Moon, searching for treasure and missing family.
    20200929 Spelunky 2 (2D Platformer, Action Roguelike, Permadeath, 2D)

I will chart my course of misery in Spelunky 2 until I cant takes no mores

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

SPELUNKY 2 IS OUT NOW!!!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Wait why the eggplant emoji

2x39jD4.jpg
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

spelunky famously featured an eggplant which was also a secret thing

Derek Yu also made the front cover of his book on spelunky a picture of an eggplant

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    sometimes an eggplant is just an eggplant

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Putting the eggplant after talking about shifting the walls is a little fraight

I ate an engineer
    I don't appreciate it when you talk like that

Lalabox wrote: »

UxtcEEy.jpg

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Phasmaphobia is the most terrifying game I've played holy shit. It's a currently very janky haunted house investigation game where up to 4 people have to determine what type of ghost is haunting a specific location as well as accomplish some extra goals and survive to get paid and buy better gear. The big selling point is it has voice recognition and the ghosts can talk to you if you use a mic. I've made it 1/3 of the way through the tutorial.

It starts out telling you this is a non-violent ghost that is perfect for a rookie to learn the ropes in. I'm told it teds to focus on the living room and I should go there to see the slides they have set up on the tv and to read those and follow the instructions.

Of course it's thunder storming out and the house is a small, dark grey very modern little creepfest. walk down the entry hallway which opens right into the living room; there's an especially creepy small doorway alcove to the left which is oddly dark and a hallway extending to the right where I can see the kitchenette and a dinette nook.

I instantly start snapping on all the lights because, despite the warnings that this pisses the ghosts off, I'm already tense as hell. The TV has the slideshow on it and reads that I'm to go get the movie camera from the truck and put it somewhere in the living room then go back to the truck ad observe what happens. I'm specifically watching for Orbs; those proof of a messy house clean up bitch damn akshual ghorsts.

I trudge back to the truck (they refuse to let you move faster than a crawl and while normally annoying here it works like gangbusters) get the movie camera and decide to put it on an upper bookshelf. I set it up there and wrestle with the controls for a bit to get it t face the right direction. Just as I finish I hear someone behind me whisper "hey".

Now that I'm carrying around a poo log I assume I'll move slower but nope, faster actually!

I head back to the truck, actually shivering because holy fuck and watch the monitor but no orbs. I have to repast that with a journal to see if the ghost is going to write in it; the catch is I have to turn all the lights off before I leave. HOKAY.

I get the journal, walk back into hell ad notice some of the lights in the kitchen are flickering. Thunderstorm! Totally natural!

I put the book down, walk sloooowly into the kitchen; start turning off the lights and notice the door to the garage is open, something I did NOT do. Thunderstorm!

I head back to the living room, and look at the book. Nothing yet. I take a deep breath, get my flashlight out and get ready to turn off the lights when something else decides to do it for me. Totally dark now, I switch on the flashlight which gives me a small powerful circle to see by which somehow makes things worse and book it as slow as i can to the exit.

Right as I pass the bookshelves, something darts out from the dark alcove to my right, it's about the height of a child waving it's arms (?) and appears to be covered in a pink or bloody sheet. Right before it reaches me it disappears.

ALT+F4
    ALT+F4
    ALT+F4

Magic Pink on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

spelunky famously featured an eggplant which was also a secret thing

Derek Yu also made the front cover of his book on spelunky a picture of an eggplant

Oh thats neat, I didn't know any of that

2x39jD4.jpg
    The trick I used to safely rob stores with 1 rope and 1 bomb in Spelunky does not work in Spelunky 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-GGIyC-mo
    In the world of Teyvat — where all kinds of elemental powers constantly surge — epic adventures await, fearless travelers!

Genshin Impact, out today from Chinese developer Mihoyo, is something different. It's a bigger, more ambitious blend of Zelda's open world, an actiony JRPG, and a mobile "gacha" game, with co-op play tossed in on top. And it's free-to-play.
    Genshin Impact seems like it might be the biggest gacha game ever made. Gacha RPGs, popularized on mobile, are built around random draws—you spend currency to buy characters or equipment for those characters, always chasing the high of getting an "S-tier" drop.

Genshin Impact has that core mechanic, but it's barely recognizable next to most gacha games, which have turn-based battles or hands-off autobattles that you toss your characters into. This is a fully 3D open world RPG with fast-paced action-RPG combat. At a glance, it looks a lot like a JRPG like Tales of Zestiria. But instead of the typical half dozen party members you meet along the way, there are way more here. Some you'll recruit throughout the main story, but you'll also be able to expand your party out of characters you unlock through the gacha system, and you can swap control between them during combat.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/genshin-impact-an-ambitious-chinese-rpg-inspired-by-breath-of-the-wild-is-out-today/
    20200929 Genshin Impact (RPG, open-world, co-op, gacha, JRPG)

https://ys-api-os.mihoyo.com/event/download_porter/link/ys_global/genshinimpactpc/default
    how do y'all like GACHAPONS

looka these fuckers poopin' they pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-rPkFWWqk

Holy shit does that mean Drake Hollow will finally be out for PC??

This discussion has been closed.