As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Who are our planet zoo/coaster players currently?

Followup , gimme something to build for you since almost done 100%ing RCT3 and ready to get back to some building.

Give me an old timey concession stand building, something inspired by Coney island in the 1920s/30s. I'm currently building an old wooden coaster in white and red and a concession stand would look great!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    warframe is mostly only good when you don't have a job, and can instead play it for several hours a day

and even then, there's a real terrible slog between about hour 15 and hour 100

i'd only really recommend warframe if you have already played a lot of warframe

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Having played since open beta, I literally would not even know what to tell someone getting into Warframe now

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Followup , gimme something to build for you since almost done 100%ing RCT3 and ready to get back to some building.

Give me an old timey concession stand building, something inspired by Coney island in the 1920s/30s. I'm currently building an old wooden coaster in white and red and a concession stand would look great!

@WiseManTobes , so I remember when home heh. Any grid/size requirements? DLC usable?(I only have like 2 dlc so that part probably fine lol)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

@WiseManTobes , so I remember when home heh. Any grid/size requirements? DLC usable?(I only have like 2 dlc so that part probably fine lol)

Maybe something that can fit 3 shops? Or if you wanted to do a small group of midway games. That would be cool too. DLC is fine.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    warframe is a game as a service where progress matters and you never have to put money into it

it does take time though

There are definitely some games that give you a satisfying experience without having to dump money into them

I think Destiny is one, too, except for how hilariously mismanaged it is

Destiny charges you 60 dollars every time a new expansion comes out

it does not, no

It kind of does - to get the more appealing parts of the big content drops (like the raid and the story missions) you need to pay for the expansion.

the expansions were not 60 bucks

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    warframe is a game as a service where progress matters and you never have to put money into it

it does take time though

There are definitely some games that give you a satisfying experience without having to dump money into them

I think Destiny is one, too, except for how hilariously mismanaged it is

Destiny charges you 60 dollars every time a new expansion comes out

it does not, no

It kind of does - to get the more appealing parts of the big content drops (like the raid and the story missions) you need to pay for the expansion.

the expansions were not 60 bucks

True, they might be $40 each. They ain't free, is the point!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    botw

50-some hours in, I find the tutorial shrine

not that I needed it, exactly, as I'd stumbled across everything it teaches you ... but I'm boggled that it wasn't one of the requirements for getting the glider.

• Options
    Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Having played since open beta, I literally would not even know what to tell someone getting into Warframe now

"Ingratiate yourself to several wealthy patrons"

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    botw

50-some hours in, I find the tutorial shrine

not that I needed it, exactly, as I'd stumbled across everything it teaches you ... but I'm boggled that it wasn't one of the requirements for getting the glider.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1VhYzxC1KA&ab_channel=TeZoKi

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lol they were playing on uber hard mode the whole time!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    to be fair
    I know how to do those and I still can't do them reliably enough to try to do them on purpose in fights

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So this weekend on a whim I picked up The Solitaire Conspiracy, and...I liked it! It's exactly what you'd expect: a solitaire game, but with a spy movie aesthetic and story. I know some people mentioned it's not "real solitaire," which worried me, but it turns out that it actually is; it's the UK variant "Streets and Alleys", which works differently from the Windows 95 solitaire we all know. Once I knew that, the choice seemed less confusing. I think I'd still enjoy a traditional solitaire variant, and that would make the spy powers more necessary since they'd help you avoid the frequent fail states, but as it is, I found this game relaxing and fun in the exact same kind of mindless way that would cause me to fire up Windows solitaire, and while it's very difficult to actually fail, I had a lot of fun aiming for the efficiency score wehre you complete the puzzle in a low number of turns.

But the main draw is the presentation. The key insight of the developer was to home in on the feeling of mounting excitement you get in a solitaire game of things clicking into place as your stacks begin to line up. The game mirrors that feeling by, as you progress, having the dynamic soundtrack (by Jon Everist, doing a clear riff on techno-thriller Hans Zimmer-y themes) speeds up and turns extra-dramatic as you get closer and closer to your goal, till by the end it sounds like there's a full on car chase gunfight happening with pounding synth drums as you drop the Jacks into place. It's so obvious but it works really well.

It's almost more of a toy than a game, designed to produce that one specific feeling, but like, who cares? It was fun, it was ten bucks, it's something I think I can just come back to and noodle with whenever. The developer is also really active on the Steam community page and has already incorporated a lot of player suggestions into a few patches already, and he says the game has done well enough to continue development, so I'm curious to see where it goes.

Anyway, here's a couple cuts from the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAJ3Qjr6mU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUC7Q116xxI

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The way the music ramps up when you're slamming cards into the center was the only thing I really enjoyed about the game, I think.

Is it even possible to fail? I never did, or even felt close to doing so.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    it only took 3 and a half months but I did it I can now play CK3

yyp830004nlk.png

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    The way the music ramps up when you're slamming cards into the center was the only thing I really enjoyed about the game, I think.

Is it even possible to fail? I never did, or even felt close to doing so.

AFAIK it's impossible to fully lock yourself out of a match.

Only the countdown mode has a failure state.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    YOU CAN SIDE HOP IN BREATH OF THE WILD

WHAT

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    MNC was a little too shooter insofar as you could largely just ignore all the moba elements

SMNC was great, but it was badly mismanaged

Also whether any given MOBA will catch on was basically totally unpredictable, although I guess the eventual answer is that after the first big wave, none of them caught on well enough to survive

Aside from Smite I guess?

'cries in Dawngate'

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Trudge trudge.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/13/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-october-2020-wave-2/

Katana ZERO, Heave Ho, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition, and The Swords of Ditto: Mormo’s Curse all hit PC Game Pass on October 15th.

Games leaving on October 15th:
    Felix the Reaper (Console & PC)
    Metro 2033 Redux (Console & PC)
    Minit (Console & PC)
    Saints Row IV Re-Elected (PC)
    State of Mind (PC)

Games leacing on the 30th:
    After Party (Console)
    LEGO Star Wars III (Console)
    Rise & Shine (Console)
    Tacoma (Console & PC)
    The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game (Console & PC)
    The Red Strings Club (PC)

• Options
    Explore the myths and monsters of Europe’s last primeval wilderness. Play as Maia, who arrives at the ancient Białowieża Forest looking to explore her family history. Discover Rage in an adventure game inspired by the experience of the legendary tabletop roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
    20201013 Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest (visual novel, narrative, werewolves, horror)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Watching an LP of Dishonored, reminded me I never played the second one. Was it as good as the first? And importantly do you get the Blink ability again? Teleporting about was really fun.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The second one was at least as good as the first imo

Edit, you can play as corvo or emily, corvo still has blink and emily has an ability that is functionally basically the same as blink

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Watching an LP of Dishonored, reminded me I never played the second one. Was it as good as the first? And importantly do you get the Blink ability again? Teleporting about was really fun.

2 is good as hell
    There's 2 playable characters, Corvo gets blink and Emily gets a sort of grapple/pull type movement

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    If memory serves Emily is the canonical choice, Corvo was added later in development when fans complained.

Also, I played the demo of that Heart of the Forest last week and it seemed like good fun! Having just that little bit of visuals and sound helps for me, I find reading straight text on a glowing screen with nothing else makes my eyes tired and attention wander after a while (while I've zero issues reading books, for example).

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dishonored 2 is great and Death of the Outsider is solid

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    i fell off dishonored real hard when it opened with the most blatant fridging incident i'd seen in a while

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

NeocoreGames has announced King Arthur: Knight’s Tale; a tactical RPG for PC and next-generation consoles that reimagines the Arthurian legend as a dark, gothic fantasy. Launching first on Steam in early 2021, the game is also planned for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
    King Arthur: Knights Tale mixes an XCOM-style turn-based battle system with traditional RPG mechanics, including character development, choices that impact the direction of your campaign, and upgrading your home base of Camelot. The story follows Sir Mordred, who travels with a band of knights across Avalon in search of King Arthur. This is already an interesting twist on the classic legend, as Sir Mordred is King Arthur's nemesis, traditionally shown as the king's traitorous nephew. In this version of the tale, Mordred has actually mortally wounded Arthur, and is now stalking him through the isle of Avalon to finish the job on command of The Lady of the Lake.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4VpQs-2me6c

https://www.ign.com/articles/king-arthur-knights-tale-tactical-rpg-pc-ps5-xbox-series-x

Brolo on
  • Options
    yeah i'll give that a spin

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i fell off dishonored real hard when it opened with the most blatant fridging incident i'd seen in a while

The writing in general is pants on head. But I found the actual gameplay a lot of fun, and I liked the heart mechanic.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    yeah i'll give that a spin

Lemme know what you think!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I didn't finish Death Of The Outsider because killing Satan is narc shit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't think
    killing a head of state with hired mercenaries so that a cabal of traitors can seize power
    qualifies as "fridging" in any capacity. Her death is absolutely pivotal to the plot, literally the entire plot revolves around it.

• Options
    I don't think
    killing a head of state with hired mercenaries so that a cabal of traitors can seize power
    qualifies as "fridging" in any capacity. Her death is absolutely pivotal to the plot, literally the entire plot revolves around it.

It absolutely does. Introducing a female character and then having her death be the impetus for the male character to kick some ass is the very definition of it. Whether it makes the story better or not or if it's integral to the plot doesn't come into the matter at all.

• Options
    I categorically disagree but the game is a decade old at this point so, whatever.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That isn't the impetus for the male character to kick ass though,
    overthrowing the government is.
    If you gender swap Jessamine the entire plot is exactly the same.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    dishonored stuff
    it's not if the death is the impetus at all, it's if the impetus is because of their relationship to the character. specifically romantic in nature.

like if a game were about margaret thatcher being assassinated and her bodyguard goes on a killing spree to get the culprits, you wouldn't have fridged margaret thatcher. it would be a story about a political assassination.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    But you would clearly be playing the villain in that situation

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    dishonored stuff
    it's not if the death is the impetus at all, it's if the impetus is because of their relationship to the character. specifically romantic in nature.

like if a game were about margaret thatcher being assassinated and her bodyguard goes on a killing spree to get the culprits, you wouldn't have fridged margaret thatcher. it would be a story about a political assassination.

watching margaret thatcher die would rule, also

This discussion has been closed.