Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

1959698100101

Posts

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I have a 32inch 165hz 1440p display

    and it is pretty rad

    honestly though I might go with OLED/HDR over the extra hz

    how many games do you have that you are actually running more than 160fps?

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    on a completely unrelated note I need help from techy types again

    assuming I’m about to come into a machine with a 3080 and a Ryzen 7, but I don’t have a monitor yet, should I go for 1440P 144HZ, 4K60, or 4K 144HZ? can I even run anything at 4K and a frame rate that high? are there good high frequency 4K monitors that don’t cost $Jupiter?

    i am not an authority but i have heard that 1440 with high refresh is the general standard high end at this point.

    I cant speak to the 1440 part but I recently got a new 1080 monitor with a high refresh rate because my old 60hz monitor was dying and I was surprised at what a difference the refresh rate made

    Games I thought ran like shit actually run amazing now, i didn't think my old monitor was the bottleneck but I guess it was

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The most obvious change for me going +60fps was how smooth Windows becomes. Dragging a window around is mesmerising.

    Oh, also, make sure that the combination of cables and options you use actually let you run your screen at full refresh rate- in my case I needed 1) a Displayport cable and 2) to not have FreeSync enabled, because that capped the refresh 90Hz.

  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I went with this one, which was the Wirecutter’s recommendation

    ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 27” HDR Gaming Monitor, 1440P WQHD (2560 x 1440), Fast IPS, 170Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB SYNC), 1ms DisplayHDR 400 Eye Care DisplayPort Dual HDMI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Z8JXW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_d0gIFbYE7QP7X

    while I can still cancel the order, any glaring issues I should know about with my choice?

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    asus makes real solid monitors, so that should be good

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    asus makes real solid monitors, so that should be good

    FWIW ASUS quality control in recent years has left me feeling very reticent to buy any of their products. The last monitor I got from them has a few dead pixels out of the box (at least they're in a corner), but the laptop I got from them had huge sound driver + sound hardware issues and they wouldn't fix it under warranty, they forced me to return it.

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular



    Borderlands is doing a 2nd season pass with 2 DLCs, the Designer's Cut comes out November 10th and features a new 4th skill tree for each character alongside a new game mode called Arms Race, no details yet. Hoping it's something like Diablo's Adventure mode, where you can just hop in and play random content without all the story.
    The 2nd add-on, the Director's Cut comes out in 2021.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    I have a 32inch 165hz 1440p display

    and it is pretty rad

    honestly though I might go with OLED/HDR over the extra hz

    how many games do you have that you are actually running more than 160fps?

    master of magic runs real fuckin smooth

    realistically though I've been playing forza horizon 4 and that's real nice at high frame rates

  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Maybe this is a weird or dumb question but what is the FPS on....reality? Like at what rate would a monitor be at the same rate our eyes would actually expect?

    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Your eyes don't see in discreet intervals, so the answer is N/A.

  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    asus makes real solid monitors, so that should be good

    FWIW ASUS quality control in recent years has left me feeling very reticent to buy any of their products. The last monitor I got from them has a few dead pixels out of the box (at least they're in a corner), but the laptop I got from them had huge sound driver + sound hardware issues and they wouldn't fix it under warranty, they forced me to return it.

    actually the whole reason I needed a new machine anyway is because ASUS fucked me, so, cancelled that and went with the Digital Foundry recommendation:

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultragear-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-and-g-sync-compatable-monitor-with-hdr-black/6401809.p?skuId=6401809

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    Your eyes don't see in discreet intervals, so the answer is N/A.

    although at some point you do get to the threshold where an increase on refresh rate becomes indistinguishable to the normal human eye



    this page covers some of the variability around that question -
    Imagine yourself watching movie of an unbelievably slow fog. You don't see edges and sharp borders. Now play the movie with 10fps. It will look fluid. Why? Because the difference from one frame to the other is very low. The extreme would be a totally unmoving wall: Then 1 fps would equal 1000 fps.

    Now take your hand and move it slowly in front of your face. Then move it faster until it's blurry. How many frames per second do you see? It must be little, because you see only a blurred hand without being able to distinguish every change per millisecond, but it must be many, because you see a fluid motion without any interruption or jump. So this is the eye's trick in both examples: Blurring simulates fluidity, sharpness simulates stuttering. (It's similar to "rotation simulates gravity".)

    n0NT7ti.jpg
    Motion blur example1: Capture from a live performance of The Corrs "What can I do" at MTV Unpluged

    aKXbri9.jpg
    Motion blur example2: Capture from "Basic Instinct", where you see a woman plunging an ice pick into a man's body while sitting on him.

    The fact is that the human eye perceives the typical cinema film motion as being fluid at about 18fps, because of its blurring.

    If you could see your moving hand very clear and crisp, then your eye needed to make more snapshots of it to make it look fluid. If you had a movie with 50 very sharp and crisp images per second, your eye would make out lots of details from time to time and you had the feeling, that the movie is stuttering.

    nomotionblur.jpg
    Also 25fps but without motion blur: Footage from BBC's story about Ed Gein, the murderer, who's case inspired Hitchcock to make "Psycho" and Jonathan Demme to make "Silence of the Lambs". The music is from CNN's "Marketmakers" (0.52 MB).

    Just think of modern games: Have you ever played Quake with 18fps? There is no motion blur in those games, thus you need a lot of frames per second more.

    However, you see the spots and the dirt of single frames in a cinema film, don't you? And those movies are played at 24fps. So there is a difference between seeing motions fluid and seeing that there's something (dirt) at all. Read on.

    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.html

    Brolo on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Your eyes don't see in discreet intervals, so the answer is N/A.

    although at some point you do get to the threshold where an increase on refresh rate becomes indistinguishable to the normal human eye



    this page covers some of the variability around that question -
    Imagine yourself watching movie of an unbelievably slow fog. You don't see edges and sharp borders. Now play the movie with 10fps. It will look fluid. Why? Because the difference from one frame to the other is very low. The extreme would be a totally unmoving wall: Then 1 fps would equal 1000 fps.

    Now take your hand and move it slowly in front of your face. Then move it faster until it's blurry. How many frames per second do you see? It must be little, because you see only a blurred hand without being able to distinguish every change per millisecond, but it must be many, because you see a fluid motion without any interruption or jump. So this is the eye's trick in both examples: Blurring simulates fluidity, sharpness simulates stuttering. (It's similar to "rotation simulates gravity".)

    n0NT7ti.jpg
    Motion blur example1: Capture from a live performance of The Corrs "What can I do" at MTV Unpluged

    aKXbri9.jpg
    Motion blur example2: Capture from "Basic Instinct", where you see a woman plunging an ice pick into a man's body while sitting on him.

    The fact is that the human eye perceives the typical cinema film motion as being fluid at about 18fps, because of its blurring.

    If you could see your moving hand very clear and crisp, then your eye needed to make more snapshots of it to make it look fluid. If you had a movie with 50 very sharp and crisp images per second, your eye would make out lots of details from time to time and you had the feeling, that the movie is stuttering.

    nomotionblur.jpg
    Also 25fps but without motion blur: Footage from BBC's story about Ed Gein, the murderer, who's case inspired Hitchcock to make "Psycho" and Jonathan Demme to make "Silence of the Lambs". The music is from CNN's "Marketmakers" (0.52 MB).

    Just think of modern games: Have you ever played Quake with 18fps? There is no motion blur in those games, thus you need a lot of frames per second more.

    However, you see the spots and the dirt of single frames in a cinema film, don't you? And those movies are played at 24fps. So there is a difference between seeing motions fluid and seeing that there's something (dirt) at all. Read on.

    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.html

    https://idearocketanimation.com/8857-animation-techniques-smear/

    animators use a trick called smearing/smudging that simulates movement blur too

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    1hBMJrGl.png
    fodlX2Kl.png

    yeah smears are fun

  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Beboy Cowbop is good

    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    G9JjCVg.jpg

    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    Oct 22 at 11:00 AM

    Kingdom New Lands
    Oct 22 at 11:00 AM

    Costume Quest 2
    Oct 22 - Oct 29

    Layers of Fear 2
    Oct 22 - Oct 29
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Replaying Dishonored in a time of worldwide plague certainly makes for a different experience from the first time.

  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah HDR and Refresh rate are great.

    I mostly play on a C8 OLD, so only 1080p @ 120HZ, but also having HDR is great. Games mostly look much better with it. Although it is fight with the Windows HDR setting. (Some games prefer the windows one to off, and others are opposite)

    If I'm playing something that is more relaxed I go higher res over the 120hz.

    I'm waiting for something that can do 4k @ 120hz with HDR, either IPS or OLED. A lot of monitors that say they can, don't let you do everything at once, like I can have HDR but not the high refresh rate. I'd check on reviews really heavily for whatever you are purchasing.

  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    You dorks talking it up made me check out Night Road, and it's... real good, obviously. I went in telling myself that I'll make a character who is their own person, and isn't just Me But Idealized, the way I end up playing in every RPG, and it didn't quiiite work out. I wanted to have more of a "loner, out to survive, doesn't get involved" kind of character, and before long I'm sticking my nose into the Prince's papers and deciding that I don't like humans being kept as livestock, etc. Maybe I need to do a play of it where I just explicitly choose the opposite of the kind of character I normally play, to try to break the habit of always being goody two-shoes.

    Anyway, game's good.

  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    I have a 32inch 165hz 1440p display

    and it is pretty rad

    honestly though I might go with OLED/HDR over the extra hz

    how many games do you have that you are actually running more than 160fps?

    I've been running Mount and Blade 2 at 240 fps and it's pretty swank. I was previously on a 60hz monitor and I absolutely notice the difference, although I can't say if I'd notice the difference from 120 or 165fps.

  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All this talk has made me realize that I have a 144hz monitor that I've been running at 60hz. So I changed my display settings. So far, the main change I've noticed is that my mouse pointer basically vanishes when I move it around fast.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Drag a window around.

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    (you also may or may not notice much of a difference, how much people notice a difference with very high framerate is extremely subjective)

  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    @webguy20 build delayed, hit a deer coming home other night. Am fine, car less so. But , suddenly have a few nights off so build is coming shortly lol.

    Glad you are ok! Deer are no joke. Oof thats my big fear living out here in the country, when will I hit a deer? It'll happen sometime.

    As someone who grew up driving on rural roads in the midwest: deer are most active at dusk, especially in the spring and fall. Drive under the speed limit at night and make a habit of scanning the ditches and the sides of the road for eyes. Always assume that if there's one, there are more. Whatever you do, don't swerve into oncoming traffic. Deer are legit dangerous, but other cars are much more so :razz:

    Also, I'm very annoyed with people who have those stupid fake plastic deer on their lawns, especially when they place them so they look like they're just about to run into the road. Those things spook me on the regular :mad:

    Ya I drive delivery in a small town in the B.C. Rockies, every day is deer dodge em. This probably my closest call tho. He launched in front of me with barely a few feet to swerve . if was even half a foot short on that swerve he was coming through windshield instead of bouncing off door.

    Also it was fine , was just staring like a stupid dummy from the side of the road

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    had a (hopefully simple) tech question

    one of my monitors is a TV. I recently ended up with a bluray player. Ran the HDMI from the TV to the player, and ran another to the PC.

    as luck would have it, the player has two hdmi inputs, so I plugged the Switch into the second.

    When I finish using the Switch, I put the joycons back on and then
    1) use the bluray's remote to toggle to hdmi1
    2) use the tv's remote to turn it off and back on

    which is a little tedious

    when I go back to the Switch, all I have to do is
    1) remove the joycons
    2) wake it up

    this is a vastly preferred setup, so:
    Can I get it to flip back to hdmi1 automatically, when, say, the Switch leaves the dock or enters sleep mode?

    Tamin on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

    Depending on where you leave unconscious people they can die. I remember trying to put someone in a dumpster and it did the same thing.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    they get eaten by rats

  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I left him in a cosy corner.

    Oh well. I don't know if I can be arsed to redo half the mission to try again. I assume it doesn't make that big a difference.

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    After that particular mission I just started grabbing bodies, Blinking up to the roof, then leaving them there. No rats or anything to bonk their heads on. Also made it more hilarious when guards on patrol start vanishing into thin air.

  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

    I know when I did it,
    I got the credit when he (presumably, I didn't follow him) reached the building's lobby or exit. Maybe try carting him outside?

    Tamin on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I got my new drive installed in my pc. Things are going great, everthing hooked back up, it's been working for like a day.

    All of a sudden a cable must have shifted because I hear it getting hit by the edge of a fan.

    God dammit. Now I have to lug it back out from under the desk and unplug everthing again just to fiddle with the cable. I don't have any zip ties or I would be using them.

  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Lord of PC Releases!

    Kingdom Rush Vengeance came out today too. :)

    In other news, anyone got any advice making sense of which JackBox game is a good one to get?

    Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

    If you
    knock him out he gets eaten by rats, you have to save him while keeping him conscious - he'll flee the building and you'll get credit once he exits

  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Holy crap katana zero is amazing. It’s on gamepass now. I don’t normally like these kind of side scroller games but it’s just so inventive and interesting, the whole setting and all the themes are so badass and up my alley

  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

    If you
    knock him out he gets eaten by rats, you have to save him while keeping him conscious - he'll flee the building and you'll get credit once he exits
    Knocking him out worked fine for me. I also brought him outside and hid him in a dumpster however. I think he needs to be outside the building to survive.

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Question for anyone who remembers Dishonored well enough
    I just did the first proper mission, and before it started a woman asked me to try and save her uncle, who was going to be poisoned by the High Overseer. I knocked out her uncle and dealt with the High Overseer. Her uncle was definitely alive. But when I got back after finishing the mission she said he died. Is this a bug or did I fuck something up? I have no idea if I did this on my first playthrough, can't remember.

    If you
    knock him out he gets eaten by rats, you have to save him while keeping him conscious - he'll flee the building and you'll get credit once he exits
    Knocking him out worked fine for me. I also brought him outside and hid him in a dumpster however. I think he needs to be outside the building to survive.

    That's probably it.

  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Eternal Return is a unique MOBA/Battle Royale/Survival mix that combines strategy, mechanics, and cool characters. Choose one of the ever growing cast of characters, take on Lumia Island as one of 18 players - either solo or with a team, and prove your strength, ability, and wit. 20201014
    Eternal Return: Black Survival (stategy, battle royale, free to play, moba)

    This is one of those titles you could rearrange the words in any order and it would be equally nonsensical.
    Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! is out today!



    I'm excited to leave work today and stress myself out all over again by trying to run a food truck serving nothing but meatloaf and dry cereal

    My kingdom for new iPad versions! It was the ultimate way to play CSD!

    @godmode Does the iPad version have co-op/multiplayer? Looks like all the others have local coop.

    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The original Cook, Serve, Delicious! was the only one ever released for iPad, to my knowledge, and it doesn't have any multiplayer I know about. I didn't think any of them did.

This discussion has been closed.