As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Also right now I find this game kinda stressful. I'll run a few campaign missions and then maybe 1-2 dogfights, maybe a fleet battle. I'm really not a twitch gamer, have been mildly successful in some shooters like Destiny/2, but now I'm dealing with a 3D plane of constant movement and that feels fucking hard lol.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    re: Star Destroyer sizes, I just played a campaign mission involving one, and cruising at approximately 80 (I assume m/s) it took roughly 15 seconds to travel the length of it, which definitively and precisely puts its length at exactly 1.2km.

*bangs gavel* case closed.

Let us hope the Super Star Destroyer is never added to the docket.

How many recesses for bathroom breaks will they need before you traverse the entire length?

Before they reach the Bridge Tower for sure. The last A-Wing pilot to make the trip had an accident.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    re: Star Destroyer sizes, I just played a campaign mission involving one, and cruising at approximately 80 (I assume m/s) it took roughly 15 seconds to travel the length of it, which definitively and precisely puts its length at exactly 1.2km.

How many recesses for bathroom breaks will they need before you traverse the entire length?

Before they reach the Bridge Tower for sure. The last A-Wing pilot to make the trip had an accident.

"Intensify forward firepower!"
    "AAAAAAHHHHHH GOTTA PEEEEEEE!"
    "Too late!"

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

He was just trying to use the bridge restroom

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

"Intensify forward firepower!"
    "AAAAAAHHHHHH GOTTA PEEEEEEE!"
    "Too late!"

"Destroy the flight recorder."

"But admiral, I know it's just ten minutes of him shouting about pissing himself before that last scream, but...the people deserve to know...for history. If we do this, how are we better than them?"

"Heroes are not born, lieutenant. They're made. Destroy it."

"...Yes sir."

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Finally home from the holiday weekend and had a chance to try this out last night!

First impressions are good. I'm wrestling with the controls a bit. I used to play flight sims a few decades ago and immediately changed the control scheme to have pitch/roll on the right stick and speed/yaw on the left like a normal flightsim. Problem is, the ships don't move like planes so I feel like it's actually a disadvantage. Plus the control sensitivity seems to change during play. Sometimes I would pull back all the way to make a fast turn and it felt super sluggish, and other times it flipped around super fast. It felt "better" in an X-wing but I think the TIE really wants the pitch/yaw on one stick and speed/roll on the other. Too bad the game doesn't allow for ship specific mappings.

VR in the ISD fighter bay is pretty amazing. That space is HUGE!!! Having said that, VR in a TIE seems pointless. The visibility is -awful- and my (lack of) situational awareness had me basically spinning in place looking for something to shoot and not finding anything. Essentially doing nothing. I actually managed to get killed by the AI in the very first (Prologue) mission. My aim is as bad as ever, probably worse from not playing this type of game for over 20 years. Overcharged weapons seem to only require a handful of solid hits to get a kill though so I'm not sure how important good aim is going to be with a short TTK.

Once over that hurdle, getting plopped into an X-Wing was like a breath of fresh air. Non-stupid canopy design for the win! The 'normal' flightsim control scheme actually kinda sorta worked, but I found that just flying around before the fighting started I very quickly ended up 180-degrees out of sync (i.e. upside down) with respect to everything else. Not having a "ground" reference is weird!! But, again, having visibility in a furball made a huge difference for me. I still ended up pointing the wrong way and being catywumpus with respect to the assumed vertical plane every time the game wanted me to go somewhere or follow something, but at least I was able to keep track of targets a bit more (even if my aim was still horrible). Was looking "up" at about a 45 to 60 degree angle for about half the fight. I need to remember I can look to the sides too, but my flightsim brain doesn't grok that I can yaw without giving up energy (yet?).

Finished the Prologue and called it a night only feeling slightly woozy. I think the VR is going to take some time to get used to (again).

Edit - if anyone wants to add me, my EA name is TheRealStupid

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The PSVR is way too low resolution for me, but this was on the amateur rather than the professional model. I have to assume it makes a difference. It's not a bad implementation, occasional FPS drops aside, it's just really fuzzy.

I've also been spoiled by ED in VR literally years ago, on PC--and my old Samsung Odyssey has more than twice the pixel count of PSVR (1600p). So console VR is always somewhat unimpressive (same for AC7 VR).

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Finally home from the holiday weekend and had a chance to try this out last night!

First impressions are good. I'm wrestling with the controls a bit. I used to play flight sims a few decades ago and immediately changed the control scheme to have pitch/roll on the right stick and speed/yaw on the left like a normal flightsim. Problem is, the ships don't move like planes so I feel like it's actually a disadvantage. Plus the control sensitivity seems to change during play. Sometimes I would pull back all the way to make a fast turn and it felt super sluggish, and other times it flipped around super fast. It felt "better" in an X-wing but I think the TIE really wants the pitch/yaw on one stick and speed/roll on the other. Too bad the game doesn't allow for ship specific mappings.

VR in the ISD fighter bay is pretty amazing. That space is HUGE!!! Having said that, VR in a TIE seems pointless. The visibility is -awful- and my (lack of) situational awareness had me basically spinning in place looking for something to shoot and not finding anything. Essentially doing nothing. I actually managed to get killed by the AI in the very first (Prologue) mission. My aim is as bad as ever, probably worse from not playing this type of game for over 20 years. Overcharged weapons seem to only require a handful of solid hits to get a kill though so I'm not sure how important good aim is going to be with a short TTK.

Once over that hurdle, getting plopped into an X-Wing was like a breath of fresh air. Non-stupid canopy design for the win! The 'normal' flightsim control scheme actually kinda sorta worked, but I found that just flying around before the fighting started I very quickly ended up 180-degrees out of sync (i.e. upside down) with respect to everything else. Not having a "ground" reference is weird!! But, again, having visibility in a furball made a huge difference for me. I still ended up pointing the wrong way and being catywumpus with respect to the assumed vertical plane every time the game wanted me to go somewhere or follow something, but at least I was able to keep track of targets a bit more (even if my aim was still horrible). Was looking "up" at about a 45 to 60 degree angle for about half the fight. I need to remember I can look to the sides too, but my flightsim brain doesn't grok that I can yaw without giving up energy (yet?).

Finished the Prologue and called it a night only feeling slightly woozy. I think the VR is going to take some time to get used to (again).

Just a little tip for this problem:

Your turn rate is greatly affected by your speed. On all ships there is a section on the throttle that marks the 50% speed area. If you set your throttle to that area, you'll hear a little beep sound. When your speed actually hits that 50% area, you'll hear three quick beeps. At that point, your turning radius and speed will be optimal and you can flip around super fast.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ahhh I didn't know there was an audible beep, it feels like everything is beeping at me all the time.

I've been taking it down to about 30% throttle, thinking that was the sweet spot, but its prob just the deceleration hitting the 50% speed mark that I'm turning on.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    most of the speed indicators in craft have a visual marker (thicker section, for the most part) that you can align to visually if the beep is hard to hear

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    Ahhh I didn't know there was an audible beep, it feels like everything is beeping at me all the time.

I've been taking it down to about 30% throttle, thinking that was the sweet spot, but its prob just the deceleration hitting the 50% speed mark that I'm turning on.

Yeah, there are basically three beep notifications. One sort of happy beep when your throttle enters the 50% zone, another down beep when your throttle has exited the 50% zone, and 3-5 beeps when your speed has actually hit the optimal turning speed.

Plus like T4CT said, you can look at the throttle/speed indicator in your ship and see if you've stopped your throttle in the optimal turning zone. Theres a line indicating where your throttle is currently set, and the speed indicator will be going up or down (as your ship accelerates or decelerates) until it reaches where you've set your throttle

ObiFett on
  • Options
    THAT at least carried over from Elite Dangerous in a way that worked for me, even as I relearn all my other dogfighting tactics

I found a sick A-wing build for hit and runs though in Dogfight that's working out swimmingly. hoooo baby do I like that rapid fire cannon

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    most of the speed indicators in craft have a visual marker (thicker section, for the most part) that you can align to visually if the beep is hard to hear
    The indicator will also turn white instead of blue when you hit the sweet spot.

I'm really liking all the functionality they packed into the bits and bobs on the console, it's a bit confusing because there's so much going on but I think it's gonna be very handy once it becomes more familiar.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Also the imperials have all the hotties but Gunny is the best.

*bangs gavel again*

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

Just a little tip for this problem:

Your turn rate is greatly affected by your speed. On all ships there is a section on the throttle that marks the 50% speed area. If you set your throttle to that area, you'll hear a little beep sound. When your speed actually hits that 50% area, you'll hear three quick beeps. At that point, your turning radius and speed will be optimal and you can flip around super fast.

He may also be getting hit by the bug that when using 'aviator' style controls with pitch and roll on the same stick, the game cuts it's input to 50% when both pitching and rolling. So you can pitch fast, or roll fast, or pitch/roll super slow.

All platforms, all sticks, all controllers.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Slow-Controls-When-Pitch-Roll-Bound-to-Same-Stick/td-p/9537801

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Well shoot. Now I'm wondering how I haven't noticed this.

Edit: hrm, I've got roll on the stick "twist" axis. Maybe it doesn't apply in that case? Only if it's on the X-axis to the Pitch's Y?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    I found a sick A-wing build for hit and runs though in Dogfight that's working out swimmingly. hoooo baby do I like that rapid fire cannon

the laser equivalent of brrrrrrrrt

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Shit I didn’t know of that bug, good to know.

• Options
    Well shoot. Now I'm wondering how I haven't noticed this.

Edit: hrm, I've got roll on the stick "twist" axis. Maybe it doesn't apply in that case? Only if it's on the X-axis to the Pitch's Y?

it likely does not, as the way people were fixing the deadzone bug as well was using Gremlin to rebind their sticks x and y axis' to x and y "roll", which bypassed the 0.2 modifier on setting deadzone to 0. I'd bet this bug is similar

• Options
    Just tried to play a match with a friend, I got booted to main menu for not loading fast enough (?) and when he quit out and I rejoined his party it loaded me into his slot in the match and booted him to the main menu.

hoo boy this is going to be good times, isn't it.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    There is a impressive amount of jank here. Stuff like that, the fact that the default keybinds are impossible to replicate without using reset to default..

(default keybinds have more than one function bound to a specific key. You can't do that with the keybinder!)

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I am still going back and forth on this game. I want to like it but, I cant tell what is jank, ignorance, intentional or just obfuscated.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I knew about the 50% throttle giving a bonus to turning and tried to keep the throttle set at 50% as much as possible. At least at first. The thing is that this game really doesn't "feel" like a flightsim where energy management is such a make-or-break issue and goosing the throttle to full and then back down to 50% almost constantly seems like a winning proposition... at least at my (low-skill) level. My personal issue was that inexperience (and not having a HOTAS setup with physical feedback on the throttle position) is making it difficult for me to mentally track where I left the pip so I end up pulling back form full to 50% when I'm already at 50% and end up stopping completely, which is a Bad Thing (tm). I did notice the 50% (ish) segment of the throttle is larger and highlights when you're in the sweet-spot speed wise.

I suspect it is the bug and I was pulling straight back when it felt fast and off-center when it felt sluggish. That's a game-killing bug in my mind. Putting pitch/yaw on the right stick just doesn't feel right.

26904.png
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yes, if you play with pitch/roll on the same stick and feel it's the correct way to play, the game is unplayable without some vjoy/joystick gremlin work around. Which unfortunately I haven't been able to get working right with an xbox360 controller.

I'm going to try with pitch/yaw on same stick and see how it goes. Sigh.

Serpent on
  • Options
    Ran into a bug last night where my campaign mission progress was blocked because a popup window was expecting me to use a bound control, but I didn't have that control bound to my stick. No way to close the popup, either. Luckily, the function was still bound to the keyboard so after some fiddling I found the key it was expecting.

motive what r u doin :rotate:

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Pilots! #StarWarsSquadrons will be down for maintenance for up to a few hours tomorrow, starting at 8:00 AM EDT. Release notes coming tomorrow.

Quick turnaround on fixes. Curious about the patch notes

ObiFett on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    E
    Just tried to play a match with a friend, I got booted to main menu for not loading fast enough (?) and when he quit out and I rejoined his party it loaded me into his slot in the match and booted him to the main menu.

hoo boy this is going to be good times, isn't it.

Hopefully that kind of stuff will be patched out.
    Having fun in Fleet Battle vs AI, but still find myself hopping back into CoD for quick game time between meetings.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Last night I played a fleet battle match against a team of 4 tie bombers with Sienar Reinforced Hulls, Rotary Cannons, Beam Cannons, and Assault shields with a singular purpose of goosing around in the capital ship blind spots and just sitting there like a voracious tick with a bottomless stomach for Subsystems and Capital Ship health. It takes 10 seconds of sustained laser fire to burn through all that health after you find them and they just continue going about their dark work, meanwhile a Tie Interceptor was flying around aiding and abetting these scoundrels.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Tophat and I and some great games, last night. I've got a bunch of recordings I'll go through. Here is my first game from yesterday though, before jumping in with Tophat.

https://youtu.be/cl792UUDgCE

Long live the mine

Dixon on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I would love to do fleet battle vs AI with just a couple of friends and the rest be bots, I dont want to have to match make with randos (wanted to play with my brother and only him and sadly its not an option)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I would love to do fleet battle vs AI with just a couple of friends and the rest be bots, I dont want to have to match make with randos (wanted to play with my brother and only him and sadly its not an option)

If you need a space filler, I can do that.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So I ran into a bug last night. Not sure how to fix it.

It’s the first non-Prologue story mission. After I launch I follow Gunny past all the New Republic capital ships... then she starts just flying around in crazy patterns. Mission never progresses.

Help?

Edit: Also my headset arrived so I can multiplayer properly now!

APODionysus on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Man I really want to buy this game, but I'ma wait until those control bugs are worked out. I can only take so much jank, and lack of controls is a big one. Nothing more frustrating than losing a fight due to something outside of your control.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Dang Shadowplay recording Discord voices...at least its a simple fix, but can't use any of those games now

• Options
    @jdarksun
    I'm watching a streamer right now who has a Y-Wing loadout specifically to take out bombers. He uses Ion lasers to disable and then launches a proton torpedo (lol) to basically instakill them. Its surprisingly effective.

That being said, TIE Bombers have too much health in general and need to be tuned. That we have to specifically loadout to counter them and not do the same for Y-Wings says something.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had that bug yesterday too

It’s the first non-Prologue story mission. After I launch I follow Gunny past all the New Republic capital ships... then she starts just flying around in crazy patterns. Mission never progresses.

Help?

The missions are pretty finicky about flying through a particular point in the right direction. Not sure about your platform but holding LT should let you select "Objectives", and tapping A (Xbox) or X (PS4) should highlight where it's waiting for you to go.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Yeah I had that bug yesterday too

Help?

The missions are pretty finicky about flying through a particular point in the right direction. Not sure about your platform but holding LT should let you select "Objectives", and tapping A (Xbox) or X (PS4) should highlight where it's waiting for you to go.

The problem is the next objective doesn’t proc. It still has me at “follow Gunny”.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    @jdarksun
    I'm watching a streamer right now who has a Y-Wing loadout specifically to take out bombers. He uses Ion lasers to disable and then launches a proton torpedo (lol) to basically instakill them. Its surprisingly effective.

That being said, TIE Bombers have too much health in general and need to be tuned. That we have to specifically loadout to counter them and not do the same for Y-Wings says something.

Is there a reason why he runs it on the Y-Wing instead of the X-wing? I'm pretty sure they can run Ions and Proton Torpedoes too.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    My x52 arrived today.

I don't know if it actually helps, but it feels amazing.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    @jdarksun

Is there a reason why he runs it on the Y-Wing instead of the X-wing? I'm pretty sure they can run Ions and Proton Torpedoes too.

Y-wings are cooler?