As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That video is bringing back a ton of things my friend told me. Your pilot has a lot of lines they throw out in response to various things happening in the battlefield. You get to choose the type of attitude/voice you want and they come in a bunch of different flavors from hotshot to calm to leader, etc.

edit: That dude flying New Republic in the second main video is rough to watch because he pitches yaws himself left to right to turn instead of the much quicker turning rate of rolling his ship and pitching up the direction he wants to turn.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    One thing you'll notice from that video is the constant little beeping sound that goes "boop ... beepbeepbeepbeepbeep"

The first boop is letting you know you've put your throttle to 50%, which is the optimal turning speed. The beepbeepbeepbeepbeep is letting you know your ship has hit that 50% speed and is capable of making the optimal turning rate. Its a really satisfying mechanic, imo.

Lots of times you'll just hear the "boop" due to the person moving their throttle from higher/lower than 50% past the 50% mark with no beepbeepbeepbeepbeep follow up. The beepx5 only happens when you are right at 50% long enough to hit that perfect turning speed.

I would love this in Elite :D

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I was looking for a throttle that has mechanical indents, preferably adjustable ones. Does such a thing exist?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Basically this just looks really great? Like from the gameplay footage I feel like I only have tiny little complaints and the game isn't even out yet.

The ship death explosions from the outside seem pretty boring and from the inside look even less inspired. Maybe they're unfinished. One thing I'd like to see return from the original games is a bit more variety: rather than just "boom" I want to see a ship sometimes break apart and the pieces flying out in various directions. Maybe some death animations with lightning and stuff like in the original game. Maybe some where the ship corkscrews off into some weird direction. Etc.

I feel like it would be nice if there were ten times as many voice lines for everything because already even in the YouTube videos they're repetitive. I guess the Battlefield repetitive voice lines never annoy me though so maybe I wouldn't mind the repetition here either.

When ships take damage I'd like it if the cockpits got more fucked up. I guess the instruments can't pop out and dangle with exposed wires like in the original games since that is too much work and also if they don't get repaired it's not very player friendly, but it was so awesome to get in a really hairy firefight and to get some display or another knocked out for the rest of the fight. Gotta track that stuff in my head now. I feel like it would work even better in this game since you get to respawn all the time in multiplayer so it's no big deal. But it would probably be a ton of work to animate that stuff so maybe they just don't want to bother.

I'm probably the only one who wants this but in the original games if you crashed into something you fucking died. Here you just bounce off and lose some health. I mean I get it that's 1000% more friendly to the player, but I mean look if I smash face first into a Star Destroyer I don't want to say "oops," I want to explode. Again since you respawn it's not like it would be a huge deal in multiplayer.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly the weird vibe I wind up getting from it is of a like, AA focus Home Interactive game: where it had a ‘small’ budget to get stuff done with. (Small for what you’d expect from an EA produced Star Wars game)

Like I have to imagine the vast majority of the ship and sound assets are from battlefront 2 and so on.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't know how much is from Battlefront 2 but the first time I loaded up that game I said to myself "this looks more like Star Wars than any video game I've ever played" so I don't know why they wouldn't take stuff from there. Like once you have an effectively photorealistic X-Wing in a game why would you have someone make another X-Wing for your next game. Best case scenario the new one just looks the same.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Basically this just looks really great? Like from the gameplay footage I feel like I only have tiny little complaints and the game isn't even out yet.

The ship death explosions from the outside seem pretty boring and from the inside look even less inspired. Maybe they're unfinished. One thing I'd like to see return from the original games is a bit more variety: rather than just "boom" I want to see a ship sometimes break apart and the pieces flying out in various directions. Maybe some death animations with lightning and stuff like in the original game. Maybe some where the ship corkscrews off into some weird direction. Etc.

I feel like it would be nice if there were ten times as many voice lines for everything because already even in the YouTube videos they're repetitive. I guess the Battlefield repetitive voice lines never annoy me though so maybe I wouldn't mind the repetition here either.

When ships take damage I'd like it if the cockpits got more fucked up. I guess the instruments can't pop out and dangle with exposed wires like in the original games since that is too much work and also if they don't get repaired it's not very player friendly, but it was so awesome to get in a really hairy firefight and to get some display or another knocked out for the rest of the fight. Gotta track that stuff in my head now. I feel like it would work even better in this game since you get to respawn all the time in multiplayer so it's no big deal. But it would probably be a ton of work to animate that stuff so maybe they just don't want to bother.

I'm probably the only one who wants this but in the original games if you crashed into something you fucking died. Here you just bounce off and lose some health. I mean I get it that's 1000% more friendly to the player, but I mean look if I smash face first into a Star Destroyer I don't want to say "oops," I want to explode. Again since you respawn it's not like it would be a huge deal in multiplayer.

The lasers on the TIE Interceptor don't sync up right.

*cancels pre-order*

• Options
    edited September 2020

I agree with all of this. That last point was (from what I heard) a very common complaint/feedback on the testing forums. People did not like bouncing off of something on collision. I will say that I heard higher speeds do always result in immediate death on collision and all collisions result in some kind of damage.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It takes me back to Strike Vector where collisions did immediately kill you and suicides were -1 point in team death matches.

Which actually lead to lobbies that would always go to time because at least one player on each side was still learning the controls.

Not immediately exploding isn't as satisfying but is probably very healthy for the game because no one's ace pilot fantasy (or learning curve) is helped by spending 15 seconds in a respawn screen after seeing no enemies.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

The lasers on the TIE Interceptor don't sync up right.

*cancels pre-order*

*hurls controller out window*

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    To be honest I'd be shocked if VR cock pit views vs flat screens mattered at all for all but really fancy competitive players.

Like it's a cute topic but you ain't losing because you can't look left and right in a tie fighter.

I guess that depends on how accurate the flight model is and what kind of god-mode radar everyone has. The first axiom of BFM is “lose sight, lose fight.” I know my going in game plan against a poor visibility fighter is going to be some extreme vertical maneuvering post-merge. I think even with “perfect” radar it’ll still be difficult to interpret vertical relation, but I’ll have to see.

Bottom line is that bubble canopies were designed for a reason, and poor visibility is a design flaw in a within visual range fighter. That’s just science.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not a flight sim pro at all, but just being able to track targets in Elite with my head in VR instead of via sensors on my monitor made a huge difference. I went from a confused mess of "How are they always on my tail?!?!" to actually being decent at the combat -- it was night and day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I noticed a bit in that fleet battles video where a TIE Interceptor is making a run on a Rebel cruiser and it
    does a muthafuckin’ Wotan weave
    I made the Dark Crystal “mmmmMMMmmmMMMmm” sound out loud.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I was looking for a throttle that has mechanical indents, preferably adjustable ones. Does such a thing exist?

The only one with adjustable detents I can think of off the top of my head was the original version of the Virpil throttle, but it's out of production. If you can find one on ebay it generally goes for $alaska.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Shit. I only have $amarillo :(

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    the T160000m doesn't have indents but you can adjust how easily the throttle moves by tightening or loosening a screw on the bottom.

Can't recommend that HOTAS enough

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    the T160000m doesn't have indents but you can adjust how easily the throttle moves by tightening or loosening a screw on the bottom.

I've had it for a couple years now and it's amazing. It has more than enough inputs to handle a complicated game like Elite so it will be plenty for this. The throttle feels really good. Can't wait to put it to use in this game.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

I've had it for a couple years now and it's amazing. It has more than enough inputs to handle a complicated game like Elite so it will be plenty for this. The throttle feels really good. Can't wait to put it to use in this game.

It's pretty affordable for what it offers too. It's only marginally worse than a Warthog (in some areas it actually does things better) and is much, much cheaper (I got mine for around $140 on Amazon).

Here's a review on it since I know people are hunting for a good setup for Squadrons:

https://youtu.be/V5c4c5cIik4

I've been playing games like X-Wing Alliance, Ace Combat 7, and Mechwarrior 5 with it. It's heavenly.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Do people use rudders/pedals for this type of flying?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Do people use rudders/pedals for this type of flying?
    I do!

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    @italianranma if you do get ahold of a TWCS throttle and have access to a 3d printer, someone made an adjustable magnetic detent mod for it.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020

You can also do some creative stuff like this: https://imgur.com/a/Jet0h#9tZPkB7

Also for that HOTAS I strongly recommend some better grease, the stock grease is pretty bad and does not last long on top of that. I think I ended up with some Nyogel. You will also want to adjust the screw yes.

Bigity on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think that's one nice thing the X-56 has going for it: the preset deadzone made it very easy to hit zero throttle.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Mostly I'm hoping the keyboard or controller controls are good, because if I have to lug out a joystick every time I want to play this I am well aware I will never beat this!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »

You can also do some creative stuff like this: https://imgur.com/a/Jet0h#9tZPkB7

Also for that HOTAS I strongly recommend some better grease, the stock grease is pretty bad and does not last long on top of that. I think I ended up with some Nyogel. You will also want to adjust the screw yes.

I was actually about to ask that question as the grease has noticeably worn out on mine. Thanks I'll check it out.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Bigity wrote: »

I was actually about to ask that question as the grease has noticeably worn out on mine. Thanks I'll check it out.

Here is exactly what I used: https://www.nyelubricants.com/nyogel-760g

It's not general use grease, but it lubricates, and lessens the amount of break force needed to get the throttle moving. It's pretty thick so don't use too much and spend some time moving the throttle back and forth to get it evenly spread.

Bigity on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Origin, Steam, or does not matter which?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Mostly I'm hoping the keyboard or controller controls are good, because if I have to lug out a joystick every time I want to play this I am well aware I will never beat this!
    I was watching a video of this last night and the guy playing mentioned that the controller controls are VERY good. We'll have to see!!!

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    I was watching a video of this last night and the guy playing mentioned that the controller controls are VERY good. We'll have to see!!!

My friend played the beta on Xbox so could only play with his controller. He said it was very good with a controller. However, as expected, you need both thumbs on sticks for flying optimally. Which means every time you take your thumb off a stick to press a face button, its sub-optimal. HOTAS will be a major deal at high skill levels, mostly because of the energy/shield management being as important as it is.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    This is the one thing I am seriously concerned about when it comes to this game. Here's some leaked info (from Reddit) about the base stats of ships from the beta:
    r1xicg3flvo51.png

It seems like Imps have a clear speed advantage and are basically on par when it comes to health. That's a problem. Especially when speed is arguably the more important stat in flight combat. Even worse, those shield values are total amounts. Which means divide it in half and that's how much you've got base per side. So unless pub ships stay on top of their shield facings, they are actually at an initial disadvantage on health.

But shields regen where health doesnt, right? Sure. Except Imps have access to a component that heals basically half their health that's on a relatively low cooldown. Shields regen slower than a button that pretty instantly heals the equivalent of what Pubs have to wait to regen.

But Pubs can overcharge their shields! True, it takes time and most smart Pub pilots will do that out of spawn. Which if pushed double front will give them an extra chunk of health over Imps. Couple problems in practice, though. First, Imps can overcharge their lasers, doing double damage and negating any bonus from overcharging shields. Second, this overcharge only last for the initial engagement. Imps still have the speed throughout the remainder of the fight, and remember they can just pop a hull heal that gives them equivalent bonus health equal to the pubs overcharged shield amount.

I'm very worried about the balance out of the gate. Hopefully they actually watch the numbers and do some patches to fix any glaring problems with these stats.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shouldn't the imps have better ships I mean that's cannon.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lol. Every match decided before it starts. Canon says Empire have stronger ships, sorry it's just how it has to be.

In the past, they've balanced them by having the rebels be clearly tougher ships while the Imps are faster. It balanced them asymmetrically.

It looks like here they've overestimated how much of an advantage having a portion of your health be regenable when facing ships that are clearly faster than you.

Imo, speed wins. And Pub ships need a much bigger health advantage to overcome their speed deficit. But I guess we'll see.

• Options
    Lol. Every match decided before it starts. Canon says Empire have stronger ships, sorry it's just how it has to be.

In the past, they've balanced them by having the rebels be clearly tougher ships while the Imps are faster. It balanced them asymmetrically.

It looks like here they've overestimated how much of an advantage having a portion of your health be regenable when facing ships that are clearly faster than you.

Imo, speed wins. And Pub ships need a much bigger health advantage to overcome their speed deficit. But I guess we'll see.

Don't you want to fight a losing war Obi? It'd be just like were Kazer Jixler!

I made that name up, but I swear to god if that's an actual star wars character...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You were close. Its Kazar Jizzler

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    My friend says it didn't feel that way in the beta? But my friend mainly flew TIE/IN sooooo

• Options
    This was one of my friend's main concerns from the beta. IIRC, he told me that Imps won the vast majority of matches.

• Options
    This was one of my friend's main concerns from the beta. IIRC, he told me that Imps won the vast majority of matches.

This could also be a bit of horde vs alliance situation where the best pvp'rs gravitate to one side so it feels like that side has an advantage when they dont.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'd agree with you, except you didn't get to pick a side in the beta

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I know I'd do better if I was in a TIE because I would feel better. (your friends concerns sound valid though)

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Also "How do you neutralize someone that is faster than you?" Is harder to puzzle out than "How do you avoid the shots of someone that is slower than you?"

Imps mighta won the majority cause it wasnt long enough for most people to figure it out.

Didnt this happen with the first Battlefront beta? Like I think the imps always won and then the game launched and they got rolled consistently.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Yeah, its interesting that they must be weighting the regen capability of shields a lot more. I wonder if there are some other factors like weapons and countermeasures that aren't being shown on those graphs. Also, just because there is one fast heal on the imp side doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something else that would be better so it remains to be seen whether that one thing really skews the balance or not.
    My friend in the beta didn't do any dogfighting, so couldn't really comment on these aspects, but I'm also not too worried as those numbers feel like they could be easily tweaked post-launch (or if that one fast heal item is being abused, its an easy target for a nerf-bat to increase its time and reduce its healing amount).

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822