[Star Wars Squadrons] Mandalorian Supply Drop Incoming

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited October 27 in Games and Technology
STW_Primary_MasterCrops_800x450_RGB.jpg



Star Wars Squadrons is a space combat simulator in the same vein as the old school X-Wing series. Ships behave like they are in atmosphere but without gravity, so don't expect some 6DF style space combat. This is basically WWII dog-fighting but in space. It will be releasing on PC, PS4, Xbox and is playable in VR. This is not set to be a "live service" game. So there will be no microtransactions. Hard to believe, I know, but its true. They have also said that there is currently no planned DLC, but if the game performs well, they will definitely add to it.

Here's some general information and gameplay:





RETURNING FEATURES

Single and Multiplayer
There will be a single player story with multiple missions and challenges in each mission to bring you back over and over until you can perfect it. All single player missions can also be played as a squadron, bringing some good co-op action (This might not be true). Multiplayer competitive comes in two modes: Dogfighting (like the old series) and the new Fleet Battles.

First Person Cockpit view only
A key feature of this series of games is that the only view available is from the cockpit. No third person view at all. Luckily the cockpits are incredibly detailed and give all the information you need while in combat. Here's an example:
SCREENS_GAME_TIECockpit.jpg

Power Management
Every ship can change how much power goes into individual subsystems. Ships can modify the power going into engines, lasers, and shields (if your ship has shields). The game allows quick and easy control of this management by putting full power into an individual system with a single button press or it can allow more fine grained control by adding/subtracting power from an individual system one pip at a time. When a system has more than average power, it gains a benefit. Shields gain more than allowed strength. Lasers can get a quick buff to damage. Engine store up boost that can be used later. While a system has less than average power, it loses effectiveness. Shields/Lasers recharge slower or not at all. Engines make your ship much slower and less maneuverable.

Shield Management
Ships with shields can angle their shields so that it can absorb more power to either the front or back. This will remove the shielding to the side that it is not angled to (assuming no overcharge).

Capital Ship Hardpoints
Star Destroyers and Cruisers have hardpoints that can be targeted and destroyed. They each have three subsystems that can be destroyed and make the capital ship easier to take down. Shield Generators will drop the shields when destroyed. Power Generator destruction will cause small electrical weakspots on the ship. Destroying the Targeting subsystem will reduce the capital ship's aim.


NEW FEATURES

Components
Each ship can now be customized in functional ways that change the behavior of the ship. Shields, Hull, Lasers, Utility, and Engines all have slots that can be swapped out to have modify the ship in interesting ways. Each modification comes with an upside and downside. You can equip a hull that takes less damage from lasers but more from missiles. Or shields that have double the strength, but do not regenerate once they are knocked out. Here's the full list we currently know about:
Star-Wars-Squadrons-Ship-Loadouts-Components.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1920&h=1080&dpr=1.5

Fleet Battles
This is the premiere multiplayer mode launching with the game. Its 5v5 that can also be played against AI. Each side is trying to destroy the other side's capital ship. Its all based around a tug-of-war morale system, where the more a side dies, the more the morale meter goes to the side that is killing. Once one faction pulls the morale all the way to their side, they can make runs on the capital ships. First you gotta destroy their two frigates, then you can take on their Star Destroyer or Cruiser.

Ship and Player Visual Customization
Ships now have a large variety of liveries. Your cockpit can have bobble heads, hanging ornaments, and/or holograms adorning it. You can also customize what your pilot is wearing.


Here's some more videos

Fleet Battle gameplay with no commentary after the first bit:


Informative Commentary filled stuff



ObiFett on
EspantaPajaroElvenshaeAndy JoeLindZoku GojiraKoopahTroopahCalicaspool32
«13456724

Posts

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    There are some people around here who know people who played in the beta. I've heard its essentially a modern X-Wing v TIE Fighter. Here's some information from my friend:
    My Friend wrote:
    The core foundation of the game is VERY solid. It feels great and challenging to control the starfighters. Dogfighting is generally a sustained event, with the player that can control and manage their starfighter and surroundings usually winning. The sounds are top notch. I can't explain how many little details they added to the sound. Every time you turn you hear the cranks and groans of machinery. Lasers whizzing by, shields getting hit. Hell, if you fly close by a Corvette that's on its death knell, you'll hear the warning siren of a ship going down. If you've got a droid unit, it is pretty consistently yapping to which the pilot will respond accordingly. "Beepboopboop wheee" "Yeah, I know I've got a tail, anything you can do about it?" When you activate a component, you'll see a hand go out and click on some buttons. It feels so good.

    Fleet Battle is a blast and actually kind of daunting. Between controlling the middle of the map and taking on or defending capital ships, its a constant epic feel. The game rewards staying alive and picking your battles. Deaths give your opponent a pretty big bump in morale (which in turn gets them closer to being able to make passes at your capital ships). There are lots of systems in place to be able to disengage and regroup/repair. The matches take long enough that you start to learn your opponent's tendencies and begin to anticipate how to counter their lines of attacks. Taking on capital ships is a real task. The first few times I went at one I was pasted before I could get within the shield envelope. I got a bit better as time went on, but I spent most of my time screening for my bombers.

    The main problem they have right now is balance, imo. There are a number of components on ships that feel unbalanced and swing the game a bit too much. Things like auto-aiming lasers (downside is that it does like 30% of the damage non-auto aiming lasers do, but its not enough) and deployable mines/turrets that have way too low of cooldown. These things started becoming the meta and no one had a counter to them besides using them. Additionally, the Empire won almost every game I played in. Empire ship health = New Republic ship health + shields. While the New Republic CAN overcharge shields and get more health through good shield management, it doesn't make up for how fast the Empire ships are and that they can boost their lasers. I hope they reduce TIE health a bit, or else Empire is gonna dominate on release. As long as they get the balance down, this will be a perfect SW flight sim, imo.

    That being said, it is very much a Star Wars Space Sim. One of the main complaints on the boards were people upset at how "slow" the ships controlled or how it didnt feel as quick as the starfighter mode in Battlefront. Luckily many replied that its because its a sim and supposed to feel like you are piloting an actual craft. Lots of testers kept comparing it to Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault. Asking for Squadrons to be faster, for the ships to be more responsive (read arcadey), and even asking for third person mode. I super hope they don't listen to those people. It required and rewarded those who wanted a more skill based and tactical space dogfighting game. Granted, its Star Wars, so the ships basically just control like WWII aircraft but with a sci-fi twist, so its not really a space sim.

    I felt the skill gap often. I learned to avoid certain players on opposing teams, because I knew they would just down me. There was a mechanism in place for "placement matches" in Fleet Battles. So its clear that the dev team knows that there is a potential wide skill range in the game and it will not be fun to play against an Ace when you're still a Rookie. I read an interview somewhere with the Devs where they said that in their testing a player who had just a handful of hours in the seat of a starfighter would almost always skunk a player who had just started playing. I think this is a VERY good sign for the game and its good the Devs are ok with it. There is so much to learn.

    I suspect most players will go through a few phases of learning the game. First its just a matter of learning how to control the basics of flight and read the cockpit. Then it takes a bit to be completely comfortable with throttling so that turns are quick and responsive. Then comes basic energy management, where all you're doing is maxing out a subsystem with the push of a button. Then comes the faction specific stuff. Empire ships has laser boosting capabilities. New Republic (and one Empire ship) has shields which has facing settings and can also be boosted. Then you can get into the more advanced energy management. Where you can pump individual pips into subsystems. By the end of the weekend, I wasn't even close to comfortable with energy management mid-furball. Shields and boosting mid furball was out of the question.

    I'm also curious about the amount of content in the game. Training Space, Story, Dogfights (5v5), and Fleet Battles (PvEvP, where that last P is optional) are all there will be on launch. I hope that its enough to grab a playerbase so they can add on more modes. The game will need more modes. Not sure more maps alone will be enough. They will need new modes, imo. I'm mildy concerned about this, but think it will resolve itself if the game picks up a playerbase.

    Its a day one purchase for me and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who doesn't have an aversion to flight combat games.

    ElvenshaeSixCalicaMcFodderBigityJazzgigawatt666
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    My friend told me it was a lot of fun, with a surprising amount of character customization.

  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm interested in how the VR aspects will play out. One of the main reason I bought into the VR hype two years ago was for exactly this kind of sim!


    26904.png
    McFodderspool32
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Rookie pilot Wedge Rendar reporting for duty!

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    ElvenshaejdarksunLocal H JayTynnanKoopahTroopahPreacherstopgapOpposingFarceGiantGeek2020Jazzspool32
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Rookie pilot Wedge Rendar reporting for duty!

    Hey that's a copy of my OC, Dash Katarn!

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    ElvenshaeMegaMan001KoopahTroopahBlackDragon480T4CTAndy JoeMatevOpposingFarceJazzHeir
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 28
    ObiFett wrote: »
    First Person Cockpit view only
    A key feature of this series of games is that the only view available is from the cockpit. No third person view at all. Luckily the cockpits are incredibly detailed and give all the information you need while in combat. Here's an example:
    SCREENS_GAME_TIECockpit.jpg

    This is great news. I’ve always preferred in-cockpit views even in fairly casual air combat and racing games, but when they’re optional, using them puts me at a disadvantage. Nice to know this game is designed, like classic space sims, around the front office view.

    Nice OP, by the way. Lots of info and footage.
    Fleet Battles
    This is the premiere multiplayer mode launching with the game. Its 5v5 that can also be played against AI. Each side is trying to destroy the other side's capital ship. Its all based around a tug-of-war morale system, where the more a side dies, the more the morale meter goes to the side that is killing. Once one faction pulls the morale all the way to their side, they can make runs on the capital ships. First you gotta destroy their two frigates, then you can take on their Star Destroyer or Cruiser.

    Sounds interesting. I hope there are good rewards for players who stick around for the whole match, staunchly defending their capital ship. If not, and especially if the stat tracking prominently features a Kills/Downed ratio, then in practice this might resemble the ragequit-based morale system in Call of Duty.

    Not to be a downer. I’ll give the developers the benefit of the doubt, here, that they’re taking that into account.

    Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira - Send FR for Pinball FX3 / Zaccaria Pinball leaderboard competition
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 28


    I presume this is what would have been at the Squadrons panel for Star Wars Celebration.

    Gah I should be in Anaheim rn.

    Edit: I know this has already been posted I'm just too lazy to quote it.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mines eh? Depending on how those are balanced, I might be that annoying asshole deploying them around the map.

    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Still waiting on Dan "Man of his Word" Ryckert to eat a hat
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Release date October 2nd, eh? Excellent.

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SixSix Ask me about my butthole Registered User regular
    I’m into this.

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 28
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Mines eh? Depending on how those are balanced, I might be that annoying asshole deploying them around the map.

    Form what I heard, mines were one of the most divisive components in the playtest. Very quickly a few players realized that the cooldown for mines was very low and their tracking was very high. So those players would just go around spamming mines all over the map and ended up on top of the leaderboard in every game. Normal mines are annoying on their own. Turret mines by themselves are also frustrating. Both of them combined and spammed all over the map created serious problems. By the end, people were learning perfect places to put turret mines that made it even harder to counter than earlier in the playtest. One of the big concern from players was that if one person doing this created these kinds of problems, imagine entire squads of support ships. It could be gamebreaking. Increasing cooldown and reducing effectiveness was one of the biggest feedbacks given. From what I've been told at least.

    ObiFett on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've been stoked on this since it was announced. I want it.

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah - Extra-Life 2020: KoopahTroopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    PailryderObiFettElvenshaejdarksunBloodySlothPreacherTychoCelchuuuMcFodderhlprmnkyJazz
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Mines eh? Depending on how those are balanced, I might be that annoying asshole deploying them around the map.

    Form what I heard, mines were one of the most divisive components in the playtest. Very quickly a few players realized that the cooldown for mines was very low and their tracking was very high. So those players would just go around spamming mines all over the map and ended up on top of the leaderboard in every game. Normal mines are annoying on their own. Turret mines by themselves are also frustrating. Both of them combined and spammed all over the map created serious problems. By the end, people were learning perfect places to put turret mines that made it even harder to counter than earlier in the playtest. One of the big concern from players was that if one person doing this created these kinds of problems, imagine entire squads of support ships. It could be gamebreaking. Increasing cooldown and reducing effectiveness was one of the biggest feedbacks given. From what I've been told at least.

    It's me. The gleeful minepooper. I will coat screens in mines if you let me. Mines are funny, you see; almost as funny as indirect artillery.

    I would be very sad if mines were not useful. Mines are almost never useful in any context, and that is sad.

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There is a space, surely, between "useless" and "overpowered, why ever use anything else?"

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Fencingsax
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Why is it a thing with a cool down? A mine is a consumable, pick a static number and that's how many you get for the entire flight. Is there some mine production factory under an R2 unit that is just cranking out explosives?

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 28
    Why is it a thing with a cool down? A mine is a consumable, pick a static number and that's how many you get for the entire flight. Is there some mine production factory under an R2 unit that is just cranking out explosives?

    uh

    The ship has to ready and arm the mine, which takes some time for the component to do.

    sure, lets go with that

    Considering you can resupply in this game by flying and stopping under frigates and into the capital ship, having a static number doesn't do much to curb laying them all over the place constantly.

    ObiFett on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    There is a space, surely, between "useless" and "overpowered, why ever use anything else?"

    Given that people usually react to mines or other placed/static forms of offense with "lol no skill" and "nerf it" until it's basically reduced to garbage, I am not hopeful for that space to become populated.

  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Well, seems like an easy fix, but what do I know? I don't like cool downs on stuff like that for immersion reasons, but balance and fun are always going to trump that.

    I hope in the future some freighters get added. My dream is to man a turret in the Falcon while Chewie flies.

  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON IndiaRegistered User regular
    So far this looks pretty good! TIE Fighter is perhaps my favorite game of all time and I also loved X-Wing and for years now I've thought they should cash in on the obvious money that's hanging around here which things like Star Citizen are hoovering up without having the benefits of a Star Wars license or, like, even much of a game. So I'm very thrilled someone came to their senses and essentially made the game I had in my mind: cockpit views with working pieces, power management, single player and multiplayer, etc.

    The only things that don't look fantastic to me are the concessions they're making to keep the TIE Fighter balanced with, say, the X-Wing, but I think I can actually deal with that, and anyways it's made up for by the fact that they're doing some exciting stuff I didn't even have in my imagination, like replacing the fun but tremendously simple and limiting flight model from the thousand-year-old sims I played as a kid with a much more interesting seeming model that lets you do some cool stuff.

    I also wish the campaign were going to be longer and more involved, like the original campaigns, but these days I imagine it's super expensive to make, like, one more mission, cuz you need story and voice acting and animation and so on, whereas back in the X-Wing days you could just be like "you need to scan six freighters, good luck" and your mission was done.

    Commander Zoom
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    oh my

    Watching the trailers makes me want to go re-read my old X-Wing novels

    I look forward to absolutely sucking at this game :biggrin:

    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    Commander ZoomjdarksunStupidMatevPapaganderElvenshaeKoopahTroopah
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful, but also I'm going to wait until I hear whether the singleplayer component is good, because honestly the idea of multiplayer in this kinda game sounds miserable to me!

    Steam ID: Right here.
    Calica
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I'm hopeful, but also I'm going to wait until I hear whether the singleplayer component is good, because honestly the idea of multiplayer in this kinda game sounds miserable to me!

    While its not the same as having a super long single player campaign, all the multiplayer modes in the game can also be played single player against AI.

    I was assuming like most games that have a mix of single and multiplayer, that there would be a single player mission per multiplayer map or per ship. Which would lead to something like 8-10 missions.

    However, after hearing about the intro mission and seeing the mission in that trailer, I've upped my hope a bit that we might be getting a bit more than just that.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 29
    I was curious about the previous X-Wing games so I looked it up and here is what they had to offer in terms of base content:

    X-wing - 38 single player missions, 18 historical missions, proving ground for each ship. No multiplayer (obviously)
    TIE Fighter - 36 single player missions*, 28 training scenarios (4 per ship). No multiplayer (obviously)
    X-Wing v Tie Fighter - 8 missions (no cut-scenes or story) to be played co-op or multiplayer. Multiplayer Dogfighting.
    X-Wing Alliance - 53 single player missions, mission editor for multiplayer(?), for some reason couldn't find info on the multiplayer stuff.

    I think Squadrons will straddle the line between X-Wing/TIE Fighter and X-Wing v Tie Fighter. I can almost guarantee we will be getting more missions than XvT, but I doubt we'll get up to anything even close to the 30+ missions of the earlier games. I'd consider us lucky to get 16 missions (8 per side). If we get 10-12 per side, I'll be very happy. Especially considering they can all be played as a squadron and each mission has multiple different challenges to complete. Tack that campaign alongside the multiplayer modes that can also be played against AI and I'll be over the moon.

    Hopefully if this takes off and makes money, we can get something like X-Wing Alliance in the future. I didn't realize how huge that game was in comparison to the others.

    *Reading the wikipedia for this reminded me of the secret sith dude that gave optional objectives in each mission for TIE Fighter. I had completely forgotten about that entire thing, but man if I didn't love that entire aspect of that game. It felt so cool getting secret objectives like that.

    ObiFett on
    jdarksunMatevElvenshae
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    You got tattooed by force lightning! It was sick as hell.

    ObiFettBlackDragon480jdarksunMatevTOGSolidBigity
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    This game looks sick


    Thank you that’s my take

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
    ElvenshaeKoopahTroopah
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I was curious about the previous X-Wing games so I looked it up and here is what they had to offer in terms of base content:

    X-wing - 38 single player missions, 18 historical missions, proving ground for each ship. No multiplayer (obviously)
    TIE Fighter - 36 single player missions*, 28 training scenarios (4 per ship). No multiplayer (obviously)
    X-Wing v Tie Fighter - 8 missions (no cut-scenes or story) to be played co-op or multiplayer. Multiplayer Dogfighting.
    X-Wing Alliance - 53 single player missions, mission editor for multiplayer(?), for some reason couldn't find info on the multiplayer stuff.

    I think Squadrons will straddle the line between X-Wing/TIE Fighter and X-Wing v Tie Fighter. I can almost guarantee we will be getting more missions than XvT, but I doubt we'll get up to anything even close to the 30+ missions of the earlier games. I'd consider us lucky to get 16 missions (8 per side). If we get 10-12 per side, I'll be very happy. Especially considering they can all be played as a squadron and each mission has multiple different challenges to complete. Tack that campaign alongside the multiplayer modes that can also be played against AI and I'll be over the moon.

    Hopefully if this takes off and makes money, we can get something like X-Wing Alliance in the future. I didn't realize how huge that game was in comparison to the others.

    *Reading the wikipedia for this reminded me of the secret sith dude that gave optional objectives in each mission for TIE Fighter. I had completely forgotten about that entire thing, but man if I didn't love that entire aspect of that game. It felt so cool getting secret objectives like that.

    What about the Rogue Squadron games, out of curiosity?

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I've been playing tons of Ace Combat and X-Wing Alliance to prep for this.

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    ObiFettCommander ZoomjdarksunElvenshae
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 30
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I was curious about the previous X-Wing games so I looked it up and here is what they had to offer in terms of base content:

    X-wing - 38 single player missions, 18 historical missions, proving ground for each ship. No multiplayer (obviously)
    TIE Fighter - 36 single player missions*, 28 training scenarios (4 per ship). No multiplayer (obviously)
    X-Wing v Tie Fighter - 8 missions (no cut-scenes or story) to be played co-op or multiplayer. Multiplayer Dogfighting.
    X-Wing Alliance - 53 single player missions, mission editor for multiplayer(?), for some reason couldn't find info on the multiplayer stuff.

    I think Squadrons will straddle the line between X-Wing/TIE Fighter and X-Wing v Tie Fighter. I can almost guarantee we will be getting more missions than XvT, but I doubt we'll get up to anything even close to the 30+ missions of the earlier games. I'd consider us lucky to get 16 missions (8 per side). If we get 10-12 per side, I'll be very happy. Especially considering they can all be played as a squadron and each mission has multiple different challenges to complete. Tack that campaign alongside the multiplayer modes that can also be played against AI and I'll be over the moon.

    Hopefully if this takes off and makes money, we can get something like X-Wing Alliance in the future. I didn't realize how huge that game was in comparison to the others.

    *Reading the wikipedia for this reminded me of the secret sith dude that gave optional objectives in each mission for TIE Fighter. I had completely forgotten about that entire thing, but man if I didn't love that entire aspect of that game. It felt so cool getting secret objectives like that.

    What about the Rogue Squadron games, out of curiosity?

    Rogue Squadron - 15 single player missions, 2 secret missions, no multiplayer
    Rogue Squadron II - 11 single player missions, 5 secret missions, no multiplayer
    Rogue Squadron III - 13 single player missions, 2 training missions, 5 secret missions, 5 multiplayer modes

    So I'm guessing Squadrons will have about the same amount of (maybe a bit more) single player content as those games did.

    ObiFett on
    Synthesis
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 30
    Battle for Naboo was also a Rogue Squadron game, it just couldn't have the title because there was no Rogue Squadron during that era.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Matev
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Battle for Naboo was also a Rogue Squadron game, it just couldn't have the title because there was no Rogue Squadron during that era.

    Battle for Naboo - 15 single player missions, 3 secret levels, no multiplayer

  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I was curious about the previous X-Wing games so I looked it up and here is what they had to offer in terms of base content:

    X-wing - 38 single player missions, 18 historical missions, proving ground for each ship. No multiplayer (obviously)
    TIE Fighter - 36 single player missions*, 28 training scenarios (4 per ship). No multiplayer (obviously)
    X-Wing v Tie Fighter - 8 missions (no cut-scenes or story) to be played co-op or multiplayer. Multiplayer Dogfighting.
    X-Wing Alliance - 53 single player missions, mission editor for multiplayer(?), for some reason couldn't find info on the multiplayer stuff.

    I think Squadrons will straddle the line between X-Wing/TIE Fighter and X-Wing v Tie Fighter. I can almost guarantee we will be getting more missions than XvT, but I doubt we'll get up to anything even close to the 30+ missions of the earlier games. I'd consider us lucky to get 16 missions (8 per side). If we get 10-12 per side, I'll be very happy. Especially considering they can all be played as a squadron and each mission has multiple different challenges to complete. Tack that campaign alongside the multiplayer modes that can also be played against AI and I'll be over the moon.

    Hopefully if this takes off and makes money, we can get something like X-Wing Alliance in the future. I didn't realize how huge that game was in comparison to the others.

    *Reading the wikipedia for this reminded me of the secret sith dude that gave optional objectives in each mission for TIE Fighter. I had completely forgotten about that entire thing, but man if I didn't love that entire aspect of that game. It felt so cool getting secret objectives like that.

    What about the Rogue Squadron games, out of curiosity?

    Rogue Squadron - 15 single player missions, 2 secret missions, no multiplayer
    Rogue Squadron II - 11 single player missions, 5 secret missions, no multiplayer
    Rogue Squadron III - 13 single player missions, 2 training missions, 5 secret missions, 5 multiplayer modes

    So I'm guessing Squadrons will have about the same amount of (maybe a bit more) single player content as those games did.

    God I miss Rogue Leader. Sure, it was simple, but it was so fucking stylish and felt so good to play. I never should have sold that game. I've been looking since then for an arcade style space game that feels anywhere near as fun.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    Fencingsax
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I played a shit ton of the X-Wing series back in the day. This is totally my jam. Hopefully it’ll be a worthy successor. EA my only cause for reservation.

    Switch friend code: SW-2978-3296-1491
    PSN: RidleySaria
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 31
    I played a shit ton of the X-Wing series back in the day. This is totally my jam. Hopefully it’ll be a worthy successor. EA my only cause for reservation.

    Yeah. EA hasn't been great with the license. BFII was fun but ruined for me by the microtransactions. Fallen Order was actually good. Everything else they've made has been what? Mobile cash grabs?

    I too am worried that EA will find a way to screw this up. Despite the footage looking great and the things I heard from the playtest, which made it sound like a great successor to those original games. I'm worried there's something hidden or not revealed yet that will monkey paw this entire thing.

    ObiFett on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The impression that I and many others have is that after BF2, Disney actually started paying attention, because EA being EA was actually hurting the brand.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    ElvenshaeAndy JoeJazz
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fallen Empire was fantastic and everything about this has me hoping. Like the devs seem like they really want to deliver a fun starfighter game, we'll see. Isn't this also cheaper than normal like 40 bucks?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Commander ZoomRidleySariaElvenshaeTrajan45Andy Joe
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 31
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I played a shit ton of the X-Wing series back in the day. This is totally my jam. Hopefully it’ll be a worthy successor. EA my only cause for reservation.

    Yeah. EA hasn't been great with the license. BFII was fun but ruined for me by the microtransactions. Fallen Order was actually good. Everything else they've made has been what? Mobile cash grabs?

    I too am worried that EA will find a way to screw this up. Despite the footage looking great and the things I heard from the playtest, which made it sound like a great successor to those original games. I'm worried there's something hidden or not revealed yet that will monkey paw this entire thing.

    "EA" didn't make this game, give the small team that put their heart and soul into making this a thing the credit they are due.


    Further, EA has had 3 major Star Wars games under their belt since making the deal, 2 of which were great with one being among the greatest Star Wars games ever (JFO). If you go off their actual record and not just public perception of what people think their record is then there's nothing to worry about. I'll start crying about EA when when I see a stop to the momentum they've been building since they fixed BF2.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 31
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fallen Empire was fantastic and everything about this has me hoping. Like the devs seem like they really want to deliver a fun starfighter game, we'll see. Isn't this also cheaper than normal like 40 bucks?

    It is $40, yes
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I played a shit ton of the X-Wing series back in the day. This is totally my jam. Hopefully it’ll be a worthy successor. EA my only cause for reservation.

    Yeah. EA hasn't been great with the license. BFII was fun but ruined for me by the microtransactions. Fallen Order was actually good. Everything else they've made has been what? Mobile cash grabs?

    I too am worried that EA will find a way to screw this up. Despite the footage looking great and the things I heard from the playtest, which made it sound like a great successor to those original games. I'm worried there's something hidden or not revealed yet that will monkey paw this entire thing.

    "EA" didn't make this game, give the small team that put their heart and soul into making this a thing the credit they are due.


    Further, EA has had 3 major Star Wars games under their belt since making the deal, 2 of which were great with one being among the greatest Star Wars games ever (JFO). If you go off their actual record and not just public perception of what people think their record is then there's nothing to worry about. I'll start crying about EA when when I see a stop to the momentum they've been building since they fixed BF2.

    I know EA didn't make the game, but as a publisher they have a long history of messing with the monetization of games under their umbrella even going as far as forcing devs to shove unnecessary things in their game for gross monetization schemes.

    EA's track record isn't great. There's a legit reason to be worried about games they touch. I don't think we have a reason to be worried about this game. Especially since they've stated outright that there are no micotransactions at all. But that doesn't completely remove the worry in the back of my head that they'll find someway to put a little poop in the ice cream.

    ObiFett on
    Phoenix-DFencingsaxJazzMoridin889Maijinamuro
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I'm eagerly awaiting this even if I'm going to suck out loud at it.

    It also is provoking fond memories of the Star Wars Phalla where we were dogfighting to test new ships.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    ElvenshaeObiFettStupid
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Battlefront 2 actually ended up being a fantastic game by the time I got around to it, though the last update, which was clearly rushed out the door, left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

    Preacher
Sign In or Register to comment.