As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Cisco and IBM are massively tech companies what are you on about?

They're both electronic manufacturing companies, not technology. Cisco is more akin to Texas Instruments or even Ford than Facebook or Salesforce.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We need a clarification of terms, because "electronic manufacturing" IS tech.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    As garbage as pundit Nate is, he does have the right of it about how the Trump administration is increasingly appearing out of touch. Some of that comes down to Trump not only lacking any sort of empathy, but also being part of the psychopath group that views empathy as weakness. One of things missed about the GOP summary is that it was very out of touch because they really didn't touch on many of current crises. Championing the dow jones as the end all be all of the economy the way Trump does is going to further cement that when people are struggling to get work, pay bills and not get evicted when the moratoriums end. I wouldn't feel safe on the CDC one because they might not have the authority and some asshole landlord will challenge it in court.

Call me when there actually are stories about how people are feeling economic anxiety because everything is on fire, despite stonks going up. For some reason, I don't think we're going to get that kind of diner coverage this year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    PA polls have been all over the place the last 3 days. It is kind of interesting to look at.

2hloa09uhc54.png

BTW the Monmoth poll is weird. I went and read it.

+4 is registered voters.
    +3 is likely voters (voters who said they were likely to vote)
    +1 is unlikely voters (voters who stated they were not likely to vote)

One is Rasmussen. I am thinking Biden is probably between +4-+6 in PA atm.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I see Axios is doing their part to stir the pot and be deceptive dickholes.

"Wisconsin swing voters are alienated by Biden! Our proof? We asked a focus group that was 80% Trump voters, and 20% Romney->Hillary voters."
    https://www.axios.com/focus-group-wisconsin-swing-voters-biden-protests-d56d0f68-00a4-4f28-b715-85d3fce78d71.html

So, your focus group was 10 people, 80% racists, and 20% conservatives who hate Trump. Trying to horn in on a certain other magizine's schtick here, guys?

They had to use a focus group because nobody in red county diners wear masks.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Whenever anyone starts talking about the Big Tech Companies those two are never, ever the ones they are talking about. And given that he immediately pivoted to talking about Zuckerberg... I don't think those are the kinds of big tech he meant

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    What is the largest margin by which an incumbent president has lost?

I'd love for Biden to blow that number out of the goddamn water.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Electoral college wise..

George Washington got ALL of them so...can't beat that.

Not counting him, Monroe got over 99%, FDR 1936 98.49, Reagan 2 97.58% Nixon 2 96.65% Jonhson 90.33%

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Whenever anyone starts talking about the Big Tech Companies those two are never, ever the ones they are talking about. And given that he immediately pivoted to talking about Zuckerberg... I don't think those are the kinds of big tech he meant

They are

I’m not talking about voter perception or what have you, I’m talking about how the DOW components aren’t representative of where the jobs are

The reason the DOW can be up so much with underlying economic calamity is there’s only 1 restaurant, 1 apparel company, no travel, etc...there are 4 (or 5, VISA lists their sector as IT) financials which are all down huge on the year, offset by the weighting of the other sectors:

IT - 7
    Industrials - 4
    Health Care - 4
    Financials - 4
    Consumer Staples - 4
    Consumer Discretionary - 3
    Communication Services - 2 (this is Verizon and Disney)
    Materials - 1
    Energy - 1

My point is the DOW is not only not representative of the economy, it’s actually not even representative of the market -

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

George Washington got 100% of electoral votes (snickers).

In the past 50 years it was Reagan vs Mondale, Reagan got over 97% of the electoral votes.

Nixon has the largest winner in the popular vote with a margin of damn near 18 million more votes than McGovern.

Largest popular vote loss, but elector winner is Trump in 2016.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Lost, people. Lost

Reagan and Nixon (and Clinton and Obama) don't count because they're all two-term presidents.

What one-term president ran again and got his ass handed to him the worst?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

George Washington got 100% of electoral votes (snickers).

In the past 50 years it was Reagan vs Mondale, Reagan got over 97% of the electoral votes.

Nixon has the largest winner in the popular vote with a margin of damn near 18 million more votes than McGovern.

Largest popular vote loss, but elector winner is Trump in 2016.
    I believe Mild confusion was referring to a president who won the first term but lost the second.
    It looks like Jimmy Carter, he got the brakes beaten off him by Ronald Reagan. Which is a shame, I always liked Carter.

...I don't think Trump can lose that badly.

348px-ElectoralCollege1980.svg.png

zepherin on
  • Options
    Carter, who basically only won because of the chaos following Nixon

The Dems really got their shit kicked in for a long time with the civil rights alignment

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    CNN reporter:

Twitter continues its policy of "It is OK to spread misinformation about the election if the president does it."

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Whoops, my bad.

Then yeah, Reagan v Carter.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Texas even being remotely in play is a big deal.

The most important aspect is that it has a ton of house seats and there are state legislative seats up for grabs. The US house seats are important for democratic prospects in the house. Makes it easier for them to hold seats they already have and might put new ones within reach. If they can get a majority in one Texas chamber, it does give them a means stymie the ability of republicans in the state to have free reign there.

The other issue, is that it forces republicans to spend money in a state that is expensive. IIRC democrats and republicans tend to prioritize different things for their ground games. I want to say what democrats focus on tends to be cheaper than what republicans do. Texas is expensive if you want to advertise via TV and radio IIRC. If you're doing phone banking, internet, volunteers on the ground and mail stuff, it's no more expensive than anywhere else. Also with how things are, the GOP can ill afford to take Texas for granted. If they don't so anything to shore up voters there, they do run the risk of it going blue and having to make up for those 38 votes and they badly need those 38 to win, where for democrats that would just be icing on the cake.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Joe Biden is live right now in Kenosha with a community discussion looks like in a church?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Spend a little money on Texas to grab some down-ballot races, not to win the EC. Do it again in 2, 4, and 6 years and in 8 you very well have a chance of winning the EC. And doing it by organizing / phone banking / etc is a lot better spend than ads, too.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Joe Biden is live right now in Kenosha with a community discussion looks like in a church?

He isn't even talking. He is listening to everyone who is talking. Intently paying attention to everyone. Not talking over anyone.

Its a hell of a thing to watching someone listen not just talk about whatever comes to their mind. He is also taking notes too. He wants to know everyone's story.

Edit: Biden is speaking and he is walking. Realized he got to close and realized it and apologized for violating social distancing. Everyone is in masks too.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We live in too partisan a country for blowouts to be a possibility anymore. That’s not a bad thing, but Trump losing by a super wide margin is unlikely.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

The most important aspect is that it has a ton of house seats and there are state legislative seats up for grabs. The US house seats are important for democratic prospects in the house. Makes it easier for them to hold seats they already have and might put new ones within reach. If they can get a majority in one Texas chamber, it does give them a means stymie the ability of republicans in the state to have free reign there.

The other issue, is that it forces republicans to spend money in a state that is expensive. IIRC democrats and republicans tend to prioritize different things for their ground games. I want to say what democrats focus on tends to be cheaper than what republicans do. Texas is expensive if you want to advertise via TV and radio IIRC. If you're doing phone banking, internet, volunteers on the ground and mail stuff, it's no more expensive than anywhere else. Also with how things are, the GOP can ill afford to take Texas for granted. If they don't so anything to shore up voters there, they do run the risk of it going blue and having to make up for those 38 votes and they badly need those 38 to win, where for democrats that would just be icing on the cake.

We arguably are moving toward a future where winning Texas is going to be important for the Democrats, with the rightward shift happening in states like the PA/MI/WI trio relative to national sentiment. Highly, highly unlikely for Texas to be tipping point state this cycle, but in 2024 and especially 2028? Who knows.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    -Only is probably going to be effective in areas where ballots have to show up on election day.

That means twenty-seven states.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Spend a little money on Texas to grab some down-ballot races, not to win the EC. Do it again in 2, 4, and 6 years and in 8 you very well have a chance of winning the EC. And doing it by organizing / phone banking / etc is a lot better spend than ads, too.

Yeah an appearance or ad in Texas would mostly exist to drive fundraising or to help a down ballot race. We're not going to lose the Rust Belt and somehow end around Texas for a win (as demographics currently exist) so treating it like it's actually in play is a waste of time and resources.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Here is my top tip to not be so scared by the poll-a-coaster.

Whenever you see a "battleground states" poll treat it with extreme suspicion. The was a battleground state poll recently with Biden only fractionally ahead. It had Texas as one of the battleground states.

So, check very carefully what the pollster has considered a battleground and then do some maths on what proportion of the sample would need to be in which state for it to be representative.

This year my tip is to imagine you've been forced to jump out of a plane in a thunderstorm. The lightning, beautiful or terrifying, doesn't ultimately the fact that only thing you can do now is die, or keep your shit together, watch your altimeter, and use dramatic arm movements to signal anyone who can see you that it's time to pull.

I usually love all this poll aggregation / probability modeling shit; but I'd rather be in that thunderstorm for the next two months than down here with Election Dragon 2020.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong in what I am saying. Texas is absolutely in play and the GOP is going to have to spend money defending it.

But lumping it in a poll together with Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania completely destroys the value of the poll and any despair you might draw from it.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

He isn't even talking. He is listening to everyone who is talking. Intently paying attention to everyone. Not talking over anyone.

Its a hell of a thing to watching someone listen not just talk about whatever comes to their mind. He is also taking notes too. He wants to know everyone's story.

Edit: Biden is speaking and he is walking. Realized he got to close and realized it and apologized for violating social distancing. Everyone is in masks too.

Well that’s definitely one dude I’m glad is learning a lesson on keeping distance from people

• Options
    Here is Biden's live stream.

https://youtu.be/TrfxgrGEY4A

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Here is my top tip to not be so scared by the poll-a-coaster.

Whenever you see a "battleground states" poll treat it with extreme suspicion. The was a battleground state poll recently with Biden only fractionally ahead. It had Texas as one of the battleground states.

So, check very carefully what the pollster has considered a battleground and then do some maths on what proportion of the sample would need to be in which state for it to be representative.

This year my tip is to imagine you've been forced to jump out of a plane in a thunderstorm. The lightning, beautiful or terrifying, doesn't ultimately the fact that only thing you can do now is die, or keep your shit together, watch your altimeter, and use dramatic arm movements to signal anyone who can see you that it's time to pull.

I usually love all this poll aggregation / probability modeling shit; but I'd rather be in that thunderstorm for the next two months than down here with Election Dragon 2020.

Sure at some point it'll matter for them, but right now, we're talking about the 2020 election.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So I just recently learned trump encouraged supporters to vote twice, once mail in once in person, which is illegal. What even the fuck?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I just recently learned trump encouraged supporters to vote twice, once mail in once in person, which is illegal. What even the fuck?

He said it yesterday while in NC.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I think Trump just wants to stir enough shit to put the election results in doubt and lock things up in court for the entire lame duck period

• Options
    He might think it was a clever “gotcha” that shows mail in voting is bad

It is at least twice as dumb as he thinks it’s clever

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Even in fucking Georgia, they know if you requested an absentee ballot and if you show up to early vote or on election day, they make you sign an affidavit that you didn't actually return said absentee ballot. It's an insanely stupid idea, but considering the source, not surprised.

• Options
    Usually I just assume Republicans are being disingenious. But sometimes, SOMETIMES, I think they're just woefully out of touch and genuinely think voting in this country operates on the honor system and that nobody actually checks these things.

• Options
    OremLK wrote: »

We arguably are moving toward a future where winning Texas is going to be important for the Democrats, with the rightward shift happening in states like the PA/MI/WI trio relative to national sentiment. Highly, highly unlikely for Texas to be tipping point state this cycle, but in 2024 and especially 2028? Who knows.

I can't speak to PA and MI but I definitely do not see a rightward trend in WI. I see quite the opposite, in fact.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Even in fucking Georgia, they know if you requested an absentee ballot and if you show up to early vote or on election day, they make you sign an affidavit that you didn't actually return said absentee ballot. It's an insanely stupid idea, but considering the source, not surprised.

Don't a lot of states also handle it by checking whether someone voted in person before opening the mail-in ballot, and destroying the latter unread if they did (assuming that someone could have changed their mind or something like that)?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

I can't speak to PA and MI but I definitely do not see a rightward trend in WI. I see quite the opposite, in fact.

I've gotten the impression that a lot of people here in Michigan who voted Trump / 3rd party in 2016 because of their feelings about Hillary absolutely fucking despise him and regret having made that choice every day. They might not love Biden but sure as hell aren't voting Trump a second time.

With the razor thin margins here in 2016, just old people dying / young voters turning 18 probably would be enough to flip the state blue. Also having a Secretary of State who isn't actively trying to fuck over blue areas isn't going to hurt.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Problem in Michigan is all the Democrats are leaving. Trump got fewer votes than Bush '04 and 100k more than McCain or Romney. But Dems lost 300k from '08 to '12 and 300k more from '12 to '16. Probably bounce back a little this year but that's the long term problem. Most of my friends left the state entirely.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The administration is starting to make legal decisions pretty openly based on how it will play out in November.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/politics/google-antitrust-justice-department.html
    WASHINGTON — The Justice Department plans to bring an antitrust case against Google as soon as this month, after Attorney General William P. Barr overruled career lawyers who said they needed more time to build a strong case against one of the world’s wealthiest, most formidable technology companies, according to five people briefed on internal department conversations.
    While there were disagreements about tactics, career lawyers also expressed concerns that Mr. Barr wanted to announce the case in September to take credit for action against a powerful tech company under the Trump administration.

Is this something that people would care that much about as a thing that makes them vote for Trump or even be much more enthusiastic? I feel like Google is still pretty well liked among the public despite tons of criticisms. Those who actually pay attention to this stuff much will probably get mad at the rush weakening the case.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The administration is starting to make legal decisions pretty openly based on how it will play out in November.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/politics/google-antitrust-justice-department.html
    WASHINGTON — The Justice Department plans to bring an antitrust case against Google as soon as this month, after Attorney General William P. Barr overruled career lawyers who said they needed more time to build a strong case against one of the world’s wealthiest, most formidable technology companies, according to five people briefed on internal department conversations.
    While there were disagreements about tactics, career lawyers also expressed concerns that Mr. Barr wanted to announce the case in September to take credit for action against a powerful tech company under the Trump administration.

Is this something that people would care that much about as a thing that makes them vote for Trump or even be much more enthusiastic? I feel like Google is still pretty well liked among the public despite tons of criticisms.

Apple or Amazon would have made better targets. Google is usually a lot more low-key in their horseshit.

This discussion has been closed.