As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I agree the Hunter Biden stuff is going to fall flat for most of the electorate.

Hunter isn’t Joe, so all that’s gonna happen is Trump points at Hunter, everyone else points to Ivanka and Jared, then everyone stops listening because the half of the country is on fire, the other half is getting hit by hurricanes, there’s mass unemployment, people are dropping by the hundreds of thousands due to COVID, police are executing people in the streets, and a goddamn genocide.

Only the absolutely most privileged will not be affected by at least one of those things, and I didn’t even mention the billion other things Trump has broken.

No one is gonna give a fuck about Hunter Biden.

Will Trump keep hitting the “escalate” button on this until it *does* get traction? Like ordering imprisonment....

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I agree the Hunter Biden stuff is going to fall flat for most of the electorate.

Hunter isn’t Joe, so all that’s gonna happen is Trump points at Hunter, everyone else points to Ivanka and Jared, then everyone stops listening because the half of the country is on fire, the other half is getting hit by hurricanes, there’s mass unemployment, people are dropping by the hundreds of thousands due to COVID, police are executing people in the streets, and a goddamn genocide.

Only the absolutely most privileged will not be affected by at least one of those things, and I didn’t even mention the billion other things Trump has broken.

Will Trump keep hitting the “escalate” button on this until it *does* get traction? Like ordering imprisonment....

I mean, it’s not impossible, but it’s also not impossible Trump arrests Joe and declares himself King Trump the First. It’s just not a hypothetical worth discussing at this moment.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Like so many of his other plans, I think he would quickly find out that he doesn’t have the power to do that and it will backfire with the public.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

He can't make people care. Especially with everything else going on.

And if it's a rating's snooze, the networks won't cover it.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The President's criminal negligence and cowardice stole the lives of two hundred thousand Americans and likely hundreds of thousands more in the months to come. Is Hunter Biden even a significant variable in the calculations this November?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

More likely is a fake vaccine announcement in late October.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This will be more effective in motivating Trump's base to get out and vote than it will be to convince undecided, I think.

My worries are more about using stuff like this to dispute election results if the election interference isn't enough to knock out Biden.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking either really dangerous vaccine bring talked up but actually you can't get it because no hospital will administer it

Or

Mcconnell finally agreed to more stimulus and it's timed to be in your pocket say October 30

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

No one will buy that, either. Besides, it's not like that vaccine would go away if Trump lost the election.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Rasmussen has a national poll with Trump ahead, giving the media their "HORSERACE" media narrative.

I mostly am noting this because this tweet from 538 amused me:

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I'm thinking either really dangerous vaccine bring talked up but actually you can't get it because no hospital will administer it

Or

Mcconnell finally agreed to more stimulus and it's timed to be in your pocket say October 30

The latter means it got through the House and that means a win for the Dems to crow about. McConnell won't touch it. The first requires agreement from multi-national private companies. They will not play ball. They straight out and shot down that idea which was a nasty public rebuke.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I thought the second stimulus went through the house months ago

Along with all sorts of really good things, that McConnel has killed

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Or

The latter means it got through the House and that means a win for the Dems to crow about. McConnell won't touch it. The first requires agreement from multi-national private companies. They will not play ball. They straight out and shot down that idea which was a nasty public rebuke.

The CDC just today talked about having enough vaccine to get back to normal in third quarter 2021.

I kind of think some political officer at the CDC is gonna get ranted at.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I fully expect Barr to trot out some Durham investigation nonsense the last week of October. But really the "Obamagate" theory has fallen flat on its face enough times I don't think it will matter. In a normal election it might but there consensus is the country is falling apart at the seams typical political hit jobs aren't going to have the same impact.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I thought the second stimulus went through the house months ago

Along with all sorts of really good things, that McConnel has killed

Yup. McConnell can't pass shit on his own so obvious election fuckery via stimulus isn't going to happen

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

No one will buy that, either. Besides, it's not like that vaccine would go away if Trump lost the election.

Trump has had a big decline since late March (which has since partially recovered), heavily tied to his approval rating on coronavirus specifically. Since he presumably lost several points from people who used to like him but perceive him as being shitty about corona, he stands to gain some ground if they perceive him as handling corona well. After all, if he had their vote and then lost it, it means they have at least some sympathy for him. A vaccine announcement would get a lot of coverage and be a great way of getting their trust back, and he only needs the lie to hold until election day. It definitely won't be a huge shift, but even two points could make a huge difference.

That argument is academic until and unless a pre-election vaccine announcement occurs, but I think there's a strong case that's what would happen.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Or

The CDC just today talked about having enough vaccine to get back to normal in third quarter 2021.

Yeah, even once they get a vaccine approved there’s still just the raw logistics of producing several hundred million safe and effective doses. It simply takes time and there’s not much you can do about it.

Marathon on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Or

No, the win is going to be because as Phoenix-D mentions, for it to pass the SENATE, it's going to need Democratic votes, and not just a few. That's where the Republicans are at the moment, a good 30+ votes in the Senate are "Fuck it, burn it all down", regardless of the national effect, either because they're safe in their seat, or because they've fully bought into the "Government is evil" mentality.

For it to pass the Senate, it's probably going to need to be ~20 Republicans, and most of the Democrats. And McConnell would likely rather resign than allow a bill like that to come to the floor.

• Options
    I think if McConnell is forced to pass another stimulus package, he’s smart enough to sit on it until sometime in October. It’d be monumentally stupid not to IMO.

What’s both tragic and ironically hilarious is that his biggest challenge isn’t even the Dems holding it up. McConnell has lost control of his party and he cannot get enough GOP Senators to pass through the Senate without Dem help, which Schumer won’t do without measures that people actually need, and the hardcore Trumpers in the Senate don’t want to concede.

Pelosi doesn’t even have to do anything since she already passed a stimulus package months ago and McConnell is fucked because he can’t even send something to her to even reject.

Which means this obvious political move that would basically make Trump and the GOP a hero for many millions of Americans right before the election might not even happen.

Dumbest. Timeline. Ever.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Or

No, the win is going to be because as Phoenix-D mentions, for it to pass the SENATE, it's going to need Democratic votes, and not just a few. That's where the Republicans are at the moment, a good 30+ votes in the Senate are "Fuck it, burn it all down", regardless of the national effect, either because they're safe in their seat, or because they've fully bought into the "Government is evil" mentality.

For it to pass the Senate, it's probably going to need to be ~20 Republicans, and most of the Democrats. And McConnell would likely rather resign than allow a bill like that to come to the floor.

I'd caveat that he's indicated he'd allow it if Trump publicly supported that bill but good luck on that since things don't pass the Senate in an hour. This is before his supposed labor day deadline for Trump to get his campaign together before McConnell just cuts him loose. Though that public cutting loose is likely to take the form of more silence rather than any kind of annoucement.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Or

Yeah, even once they get a vaccine approved there’s still just the raw logistics of producing several hundred million safe and effective doses. It simply takes time and there’s not much you can do about it.

I believe both leading vaccines require refrigeration well below most commercial grade freezing. -112F, whereas standard freezers (like in your refrigerator) are ~0F.

So, this isn't just about your standard logistics of packing and shipping. It's not impossible (it's the same refrigeration as icecream and steaks are transported and stored), but it does complicate things.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-race-turns-deep-freezers-into-a-hot-commodity-11599217201

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think if McConnell is forced to pass another stimulus package, he’s smart enough to sit on it until sometime in October. It’d be monumentally stupid not to IMO.

What’s both tragic and ironically hilarious is that his biggest challenge isn’t even the Dems holding it up. McConnell has lost control of his party and he cannot get enough GOP Senators to pass through the Senate without Dem help, which Schumer won’t do without measures that people actually need, and the hardcore Trumpers in the Senate don’t want to concede.

Pelosi doesn’t even have to do anything since she already passed a stimulus package months ago and McConnell is fucked because he can’t even send something to her to even reject.

Which means this obvious political move that would basically make Trump and the GOP a hero for many millions of Americans right before the election might not even happen.

Dumbest. Timeline. Ever.

Pelosi has even suggested a compromise of $1.5 trillion(a bunch of her caucus are worried about their races), knowing that McConnell can't even take that deal.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    It’s fascinating how low the bar was for trump on covid and how easily he could have been neck and neck with Biden right now if he had embraced very basic public health guidelines

Could have saved a lot of lives, too

God help us if the next fascist is actually an effective one

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Edit: Off topic.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It’s fascinating how low the bar was for trump on covid and how easily he could have been neck and neck with Biden right now if he had embraced very basic public health guidelines

I would argue an effective fascist cannot in in our batshit crazy political landscape. Anyone with machinations wont get through the primary process.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

I mean, it’s not impossible, but it’s also not impossible Trump arrests Joe and declares himself King Trump the First. It’s just not a hypothetical worth discussing at this moment.

Fair, I feel like Sleep the last time around yelling at us about getting too confident in the polls, only this time it’s not the polls I’m worried about, it’s my anxiety that Trump won’t relinquish power peacefully

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I would argue an effective fascist cannot in in our batshit crazy political landscape. Anyone with machinations wont get through the primary process.

Did any authoritarians respond to this effectively?

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It's not desperate. It's politically smart to indict Hunter Biden and fill October with news about Biden's Criminal Son. So I hope the Biden campaign has a good plan to respond.

I don't think this will get that much traction, this isn't 2016. There's a pandemic, half the country is in flames, and civil unrest.

No one gives a fuck about Hunter Biden that wasn't already in the tank for Trump.

Like many things, it will be in the media's hands, for better or worse, we will wait and see I guess

Media barely has time to cover actual news, and the Hunter Biden story will have zero meaningful updates.

It will play in the right wing blogosphere just like Qanon and all their other nonsense, but it's dead weight in the mainstream. The main GOP goal at this point is to depress Biden's turnout, not convert it. And the Hunter Biden story isn't going to be the thing that depresses turnout.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Fair, I feel like Sleep the last time around yelling at us about getting too confident in the polls, only this time it’s not the polls I’m worried about, it’s my anxiety that Trump won’t relinquish power peacefully

For me it's just become cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Quinnipiac Senate polls, trend from August.
    MAINE
    Gideon D: 54% (+7)
    Collins: 42% (-1)
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Harrison D: 48% (+4)
    Graham: 48% (+4)
    KENTUCKY
    McConnell: 53% (+4)
    McGrath D: 41% (-3)

Absalon on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Silver on why Trump seems to be holding steady on the national level while his battleground polls have been mostly weak lately.

So, recently Trump has been getting some fairly awful results in swing state polls while national polls have tightened a bit. It is fairly likely that is noise, i.e. that Trump is getting a little unlucky in state polls but lucky in national polls and things will even out. But...

...one alternative explanation is if Trump is making gains in red states, perhaps consolidating his base especially in states with no Biden ads running, which we wouldn't know very much about because most pollsters aren't polling, say, Idaho very much.

The Quinnipiac polls where he gained like 11 points in Kentucky really seems to bear it out. Running up the score where you're already winning... not just a thing for Dems to do in California anymore.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    :eek: SC??

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Harrison is a good candidate and Graham is a clown, so maybe? SC is consistently red, but it's not overwhelmingly red. Obama lost by 10 there both times.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Graham is well-positioned to get it from both sides, with his history of attacking Trump to turn off far right voters, then handily switching over to maximum bootlicker mode when he felt it would benefit him more hurting him in the middle. One disadvantage of being a soulless opportunist!

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Trump world and Fox took a massive dump on Graham last week after Trump tossed Graham under the bus for the Woodward interviews.

There’s still time for Graham to recover as the news cycle moves on, so we’ll have to see if it sticks.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Cook moved SC Senate from Likely to Lean GOP a month go. Jessica Taylor, their Senate expert, wrote a piece.

Basic idea is there's kind of a perfect storm for Harrison. Some of it is the same set of factors you see everywhere--high Black motivation, old people angry at Republicans about Covid, suburbanites shifting left. Part of it is SC Dems have had a particularly strong crop of candidates.

Graham is still def the favorite, just not an overwhelming one.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Speaking of polling, Nate Cohn/NYT launched their own 538-esque polling aggregator and analysis thingy.

Today, we're launching a site to track the polls between now and the election. We'll have:
    --An appx. daily writeup on the latest polls
    --Poll averages
    --A home for news on our own polling

Philosophically, the page has a two tiered approach to covering the polls:
    --a pretty curated write-up, mainly focused on the polls we care about and trust
    --a broad polling average, including the polls that maybe we don't love

The page has a nice little table to help offer a sense of the range of possibilities, by imagining the polls are off by about as much as they were over *the final three weeks* of the last two elections. That'll narrow, but for now it's a simple reminder of the uncertainty

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/presidential-polls-trump-biden#what-do-the-polls-say

The chart on the right side of "if polls were as wrong as they were in 2016" is already giving my anxiety.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    As for Graham, not sure if things are stacked in a way where this could screw him. I'd love to see him lose his re-election bid, sure the GOP likely gets the seat back six years later, but that's six years where they aren't in control of a seat that should have been a freebie for them. It's also one less vote for Senate Majority McConnell and could cascade into an effect that costs McConnell to lose control of the Senate GOP caucus if they become the minority party. Again though, not sure there are the cards to getting Graham out though.

Graham has looked weirdly "don't jinx it" vulnerable.

Most recent polls:

PPP (done for Dems) - 44-47 Graham, Aug 11
    Quinnipac - 44-44 tied Aug 6
    Morning Consult - 43-44 Grama, Aug 4th
    ALG Research (done for Dems) - 45-49 Graham July 27th
    Brilliant Corners Research and Strategies (done for Dems, I think) - 41-43 Graham (with two included third party) July 27th

He's been consistently leading, but surprisingly low single digits the whole time. If the Conservative punditry sphere jumps on "It's Graham's fault Trump is losing" they could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Options
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    In that they favor Biden over Trump

E: let alone by the widest margin.

One guess: they're the least Christian of those minority groups, I think. Also the darkest skinned.

Also maybe the effects of Harris.

And a large Sikh community.

Hmm. Indians also tend to be super racist against BIPOC. At least from my and Hari Kundabalis experiences. But maybe my dad was just one of the super racist ones.

Oh no I totally know an Indian man that was very much into the white supremacism. Like. Very into. Learning German, only drive a VW. Doing Nazi salute. Yeah.

I think he may have misunderstood the concept of "Aryan."

The word “Aryan” originally meant “Iranic”, which relates to Iranian in the same way that Germanic relates to German.

The Nazis were the ones that got confused on it and incorrectly used the term to mean something more akin to “Indo-European”.

Because of this, however, there are people of Indian and Iranian descent that are neo-nazis today despite the fact that they would have gotten some really weird looks showing up to a Nazi party rally in the 30s.

Alanis Morisette needs to write a song about modern white supremacy called "Isn't it Iranic?"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Speaking of polling, Nate Cohn/NYT launched their own 538-esque polling aggregator and analysis thingy.

Today, we're launching a site to track the polls between now and the election. We'll have:
    --An appx. daily writeup on the latest polls
    --Poll averages
    --A home for news on our own polling

Philosophically, the page has a two tiered approach to covering the polls:
    --a pretty curated write-up, mainly focused on the polls we care about and trust
    --a broad polling average, including the polls that maybe we don't love

The page has a nice little table to help offer a sense of the range of possibilities, by imagining the polls are off by about as much as they were over *the final three weeks* of the last two elections. That'll narrow, but for now it's a simple reminder of the uncertainty

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/presidential-polls-trump-biden#what-do-the-polls-say

The chart on the right side of "if polls were as wrong as they were in 2016" is already giving my anxiety.

Polls conducted in the last three weeks. You'll note there was a major shift in the electorate in the last week.

That is the NYT trying to drive Democrats insane. Intentionally.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.