As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    American radio talk host who moderated several of the GOP debates in 2016:

Is it an improvement that running a Catholic as the Democratic presidential nominee doesn't lead to accusations of doing the bidding of the Pope but instead denial that they are really Catholic?

The appropriate response to this is to cite that the current president is guilty of all 7 deadly sins and most of the ones written on the ten commandments.

I think he's broken commandments 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Only 6/10!

I think the only one we don't know he's violated is the commandment against murder. He's definitely violated the ones about God being his lord and not having gods above Him.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also there are more democratic catholic senators and house members than the GOP. I know they just lie, but fuck sake this one is so dumb, especially with Biden as the nominee. But facts don't matter to the shit merchants from the GOP.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Is it an improvement that running a Catholic as the Democratic presidential nominee doesn't lead to accusations of doing the bidding of the Pope but instead denial that they are really Catholic?

The appropriate response to this is to cite that the current president is guilty of all 7 deadly sins and most of the ones written on the ten commandments.

The Catholic ordering or the Reformed Christians ordering? 3 is "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy" in the Catholic ordering

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

By Catholic reckoning I'd bet 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. And that's only because I'm less certain he's a murderer then I am that he thinks he's god. Certainly he doesn't worship God though.

shryke on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    shryke wrote: »

By Catholic reckoning I'd bet 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. And that's only because I'm less certain he's a murderer then I am that he thinks he's god. Certainly he doesn't worship God though.

He is a president so probably committed some form of murder morally if not legally. Potentially legally given things like the assassination of that one Iranian general.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Anyway, it's all bullshit anyway, because outside of some Twitter randos nobody is attacking her for being Catholic. She's being attacked for being to Ted Cruz's right.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    There's never been Catholic republican president, right? Has there even been a Catholic republican nominee?

Google says: Nope on both counts.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

The Catholic ordering or the Reformed Christians ordering? 3 is "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy" in the Catholic ordering

Oh, I just googled it so I don't know.

But you think Trump goes to church every Sunday? LOL. I'm actually a churchgoing Christian and I don't! Very few people keep that one.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like fuck it, lets go over the sins I outlined.
    7 deadly sins:
    Lust: Trump has been married three time, had affairs with all of his wives and numerous allegations of sexual misconduct (including rape) so yep.
    Gluttony: Given that it's associated with overindulgence to the point of waste we can easily confirm this.
    Greed: yup that's here too.
    Sloth: He is known to spend more time watching the news and being a twitter shitter then he does doing his damn job.
    Wrath: Again, the man tantrums like crazy when he doesn't get his way, with his petty vindictiveness leading to him lashing out at people in the stupidest ways.
    Envy: Right up there with greed in being super obvious; he endlessly craves the sort of control that he sees petty dictators exert on a routine basis.
    Pride; he's never once admitted to a mistake or error and has even gotten other people to lie to support his position when they damn well know better.

The Ten commandments:
    Thou shalt have no other gods before me: Trump worships himself above anything else and I have seen no evidence that he has any particular faith.
    Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image: The man loves images and portraits of himelf something fierce.
    Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: Basically any time trump tries to use religion to support his position.
    Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy: Again, there is no reason to suspect that trump is a practicing christian.
    Honour thy father and thy mother: I'll give him this one, since he seemed to truly respect his dad.
    Thou shalt not murder: While arguments could be made that his actions have led to the death of thousands, the man hasn't actually killed someone himself so technically he's clear on this.
    Thou shalt not commit adultery: there are dozens of examples of this.
    Thou shalt not steal: Given the sheer ammount of money he's failed to pay back and funneled out of the government and into his own pocket this ones absolutely true.
    Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour: The man has told bold faced lies endlessly to try and cover his own ass.
    Thou shalt not covet; On basically every level he has failed this.

So out of a possible 17 sins, dude is guilty of 15.

• Options
    Mike Pence has probably only broken #9 "Do not bear false witness" (do not lie), and he's the kind of guy that mostly lies by twisting words rather than the barefaced falsehoods of Trump. Trump is a really spectacular sinner.

• Options
    There's never been Catholic republican president, right? Has there even been a Catholic republican nominee?

I believe Biden is the fourth Catholic nominee period? Al Smith, JFK, Kerry, Biden.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I believe Biden is the fourth Catholic nominee period? Al Smith, JFK, Kerry, Biden.

If I remember right if Biden wins he will be only the second non-Protestant Christian president in US history.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

If I remember right if Biden wins he will be only the second non-Protestant Christian president in US history.

Yeah, you'll note two of those four lost.

Though this depends on you view the Deists early in the history of the Republic.

• Options

Well, depending on how you define whatever the fuck Trump is.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Narcissist, so he worships himself. And thou shalt have no other gods before him.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Thou shalt not murder: While arguments could be made that his actions have led to the death of thousands, the man hasn't actually killed someone himself so technically he's clear on this.

Disagree on this one, as it appears to argue a technicality. If you order the death of someone, you're at least as responsible for that death as the person who commits the act. Moreso IMO.

And as @Couscous mentioned, the death of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani counts here. Not at war with Iran, and no imminent threat, by their own admission.

So that leaves only the Honor The Parents commandment. And even that one I'd argue at best he counts only a half measure for. Fear/desire for wealth or praise, is not respect/honor.

• Options
    Other bit Harris's husband is Jewish if I remember right. Closest a non-Christian/Catholic will get to the presidency in history.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Other bit Harris's husband is Jewish if I remember right. Closest a non-Christian/Catholic will get to the presidency in history.

Surely that would be Bernie being runner-up for the nomination?

• Options
    Lieberman should have been VP, so that would obviously be the closest.

• Options

Surely that would be Bernie being runner-up for the nomination?

At the moment. I am talking if Biden wins.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Okay, let's be done with discussing what sins and commandments Trump has hypothetically broken.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

This election feels like a combo of Al Smith and Roosevelt's in '28/'32 in some odd ways

• Options
    Republicans: Democrats hate people of faith.
    Also Republicans: We are banning Muslim immigration.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Republicans: Democrats hate people of faith.
    Also Republicans: We are banning Muslim immigration.

Also Republicans: we're banning people of faith from conducting marriage ceremonies because our faith doesn't like it.

• Options
    On pondering it, Republicans are probably not counting Non-Christians as "People of faith."

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

Disagree on this one, as it appears to argue a technicality. If you order the death of someone, you're at least as responsible for that death as the person who commits the act. Moreso IMO.

And as @Couscous mentioned, the death of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani counts here. Not at war with Iran, and no imminent threat, by their own admission.

So that leaves only the Honor The Parents commandment. And even that one I'd argue at best he counts only a half measure for. Fear/desire for wealth or praise, is not respect/honor.

Obama ain't gettin away from this one either then. Nor do most presidents as they are the commander in chief of the US's very triggerhappy forces.

edit: Aw crap...just saw ElJeffe's post. But technically it ain't about Trump.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

And the deists

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

I'm going to chalk this up to usual right-wing projection. The Evangelicals would absolutely genocide Catholics if they could get away with it. Sure, it would probably be after the Muslims, Jews, Mormons, etc., but right-wing Catholics (and Mormons) are absolutely deluding themselves thinking that their devil's bargain with the Evangelicals will turn out alright for them in the end.

(If the Evangelicals did succeed in their genocide they would absolutely turn on each other afterward. Ever seen a Southern Baptist spewing hate-spittle over Methodists, saying that Methodists will all burn in hell because they don't baptize their kids right? Because I sure have. Multiple times.)

• Options
    On pondering it, Republicans are probably not counting Non-Christians as "People of faith."

Shit, they're not counting non-republicans as "people of faith". Biden doesn't count, even though he seems to be pretty fucking Catholic.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They aren't even counting then as people.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Shit, they're not counting non-republicans as "people of faith". Biden doesn't count, even though he seems to be pretty fucking Catholic.

It's more that they aren't counting them as "people".

It's a whole way of life built around dehumanizing others.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It's more that they aren't counting them as "people".

It's a whole way of life built around dehumanizing others.

They have to see their opponents as less than human to be able to justify their shitty ideology of expansion of power for the very few

This is how racism got legs

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

I'm going to chalk this up to usual right-wing projection. The Evangelicals would absolutely genocide Catholics if they could get away with it. Sure, it would probably be after the Muslims, Jews, Mormons, etc., but right-wing Catholics (and Mormons) are absolutely deluding themselves thinking that their devil's bargain with the Evangelicals will turn out alright for them in the end.

(If the Evangelicals did succeed in their genocide they would absolutely turn on each other afterward. Ever seen a Southern Baptist spewing hate-spittle over Methodists, saying that Methodists will all burn in hell because they don't baptize their kids right? Because I sure have. Multiple times.)

Best Christian joke:
    Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

It's insane that people who support Donald Trump question anyone elses faith. Like that's beyond hypocrisy, there needs to be a new term for such willfully stupidity.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

It's insane that people who support Donald Trump question anyone elses faith. Like that's beyond hypocrisy, there needs to be a new term for such willfully stupidity.

It’s just normal human bullshit

They go through the motions, donate to their head pastors 3rd car fund, talk about god a lot in cringe-inducing ways, and ignore Jesus’s actual teachings to focus on their made up bullshit about a god who fucking hates everyone instead of loving everyone

People just find ways to justify living the way they do

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I remember reading an article somewhere that he said he prays a rosary every day. The little old ladies running spaghetti dinners don't even do that.

(Though this might have been immediately after his son died.)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

He is a president so probably committed some form of murder morally if not legally. Potentially legally given things like the assassination of that one Iranian general.

Catholicism is very big on sins in the heart/mind/intention being equal to actual sins of the body. Wishing somebody dead, belittling their death, and pulling the "rid me of this meddlesome priest" thing are all considered murder as far as the commandment is concerned, even when no death actually occurs.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

He directly ordered an Iranian government official assassinated.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also no, evangelicals do not think much of the Catholic Church and their tendency to do what looks to an American protestant very much like idol worship w/r/t Mary and the Saints.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also no, evangelicals do not think much of the Catholic Church and their tendency to do what looks to an American protestant very much like idol worship w/r/t Mary and the Saints.

I remember this being explained to me when I was younger. I just thought is was weird.

This discussion has been closed.