As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You must pay $60 to read the same arguments in the [Nintendo] thread

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    there's a very good TAS of Shindou Mario 64 out there but other than doing it for kicks I don't see why any speedrunners would switch, so many of the categories are BLJ reliant

e: oops you even linked it in your post I am stupid

YaYa on
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I think that aside from the BLJ you won't see many speedruns of the switch version just because of the differences in controllers.

I watched a few minutes of spikevegeta playing 64 on the switch and he seemed to miss the notches the 64 controller had for the analog stick pretty badly.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    If you want to see a commentated SM64 Shindou TAS, they ran it at SGDQ this year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ2D6ZJ-ks

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering:

https://youtu.be/r0-BQau7ye0

It looks like the Switch version of Ori and the Will of the Whisps, much like its predecessor, is on some sorcery

dN0T6ur.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    fuck i need that

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So apparently the port of 64 has a fix for an exploit speedrunners use to build up speed on stairways and use it to clip through doors to skip to the last bowser world before collecting 70 stars. But don't worry! There's an alternate method!

https://youtu.be/Dl2Ww6q9EXA

I don't think that is likely to catch on, it's far too hard to execute without tool assistance. They'll probably just keep running the non-switch versions.

But then again...

That is a LOT of fun to watch.

I've watched a few Sunshine speedrunners play the All Stars version and it never stops being funny when they screw up extremely basic things because they have muscle memory for the inverted controls of the original release.

I'm very glad they have non-inverted camera controls for myself personally, but it was really dumb for them to not include an option to re-invert them for people used to the original game.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ah Mario 64 is probs why I play inverted the true camera option

Can't believe they'd go and ruin it like that smh

icGJy2C.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I can usually wrap my head around either, but the Lakitu conceit makes me try to use the camera controls as if they were inverted

Would be fabulous if they patched that option in

dN0T6ur.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

am I just blanking on the existence of a Kirby Fighters 1

6F32U1X.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    apparently it was a sub-game in kirby triple deluxe and this is a standalone release spinoff of that minigame

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There was already a stand-alone release of the mode on 3DS, as Kirby Fighters Deluxe (since the mode in Triple Deluxe was just Kirby Fighters, and the stand alone title had more features). Sonthis seems to be a further upgrade compared to the Stand-alone title

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    If you want to see a commentated SM64 Shindou TAS, they ran it at SGDQ this year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ2D6ZJ-ks

It's a good run. It's a ridiculous trick, and yeah nobody's going to be doing RTA of Shindou probably, unless it's specifically like glitchless 70 stars.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm mostly enjoying Sunshine but man does it ever exemplify how they had no idea what the 1UP/Game Over system was for.

Not beating the level is punishment enough! I'm already failing to progress and failing to get the reward, I don't need to also be periodically slapped with a bunch of legwork just to get to the level again so I can continue failing.

Butler on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so by getting like 2 hours in I am now the furthest into Mario Galaxy I have ever gotten, and I have one question: does it get...challenging, at all?

It's not a *problem* but it's some interesting whiplash to go from Mario 64, which is a struggle because of its age, to Sunshine, which is a struggle because that game can be an absolute motherfucker, to the relative cakewalk that is Galaxy

6F32U1X.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so by getting like 2 hours in I am now the furthest into Mario Galaxy I have ever gotten, and I have one question: does it get...challenging, at all?

It's not a *problem* but it's some interesting whiplash to go from Mario 64, which is a struggle because of its age, to Sunshine, which is a struggle because that game can be an absolute motherfucker, to the relative cakewalk that is Galaxy

it does

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I so . The prankster comets all unlock at once in post game and some of those are devious. It has the first grandmaster style level as well

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean the general mario trend for a while has been that there's not really any challenge until at least the last 40% of the game

liEt3nH.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I'm mostly enjoying Sunshine but man does it ever exemplify how they had no idea what the 1UP/Game Over system was for.

Not beating the level is punishment enough! I'm already failing to progress and failing to get the reward, I don't need to also be periodically slapped with a bunch of legwork just to get to the level again so I can continue failing.

Sunshine truly is the Dark Souls of Mario.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Galaxy is kinda weird with the life system because it feels like they knew that running out of lives on a hard section in Sunshine and 64 was anti-fun, but they still thought they had to keep the lives system in for whatever reason. So their compromise is that you still have lives, but they are stupid easy to get so you almost always have like 20 or 30 of them.

Was so happy when they just got rid of the system in Odyssey.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Nah. Odyssey is. Consider that you spend a lot of the game exploring large areas for rest areas you can warp to and shortcuts to return to previous areas. Also, when you die, you drop some of your currency and can try to return to where you died to get it back.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's amazing how long they held on to a system that only existed to make kids spend more money at arcades and extend the play time of NES games that are like 30 minutes without limited lives.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I so . The prankster comets all unlock at once in post game and some of those are devious. It has the first grandmaster style level as well

That's galaxy 2

Galaxy 1 has a secret level but it's just hunting for purple coins around peach's castle

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Galaxy 1 is pretty easy overall, galaxy 2 was more challenging and better for it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    It's amazing how long they held on to a system that only existed to make kids spend more money at arcades and extend the play time of NES games that are like 30 minutes without limited lives.

And the short NES/SNES games I had as a kid that didn't have lives I replayed dozens of times cause I knew I'd get to see the whole thing each time!

I beat Guerilla War at my grandparents so many times.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

And the short NES/SNES games I had as a kid that didn't have lives I replayed dozens of times cause I knew I'd get to see the whole thing each time!

I beat Guerilla War at my grandparents so many times.

HAIL THE HEROES OF THE REVOLUTION

Beat that game so many times with my little brother back in the day. Grenades everywhere forever.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    "Westler Kirby"

Sold.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Hell, I wish it was more like Dark Souls. Dark Souls Mario would still make you do precarious Yoshi-hops between painfully slow ferries to get to a tiny island... but at least when you got there, you would be able to open a bridge to the mainland so that you didn't have to do the whole goddamn thing again if you died.

Butler on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I can't tell if this DLC is supposed to be hard as hell or if I've just forgotten how to play. I've already died five times on the first floor of the first dungeon.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    once all the cadence dlc is out i really hope they do a physical collected release

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    once all the cadence dlc is out i really hope they do a physical collected release

They are, and I'm intensely looking forward to it.

sig.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I don’t know, I see the point to it when it’s a, “get to the end of the level successfully” target. I think when the point of the gameis, get the thing, lives kind of lose meaning.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WNkgFikH4

Started playing this, there's a little bit of jank but it's very charming

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/rmgN42ewTtE

This is adorable

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

FUUUUUUUUUCK i don't wanna get sucked into AC again

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Seeing actual gameplay of this reminds me that it's a Dynasty Warriors and kind of kills my desire to play it.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The first one was a dynasty warriors-ass dynasty warriors game, which was perfect for killing time on my commute, but if you're not into that style of gameplay it wasn't really doing anything big to shake up the formula or anything.

This discussion has been closed.