As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

no one to play with

bsg75bsg75 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Critical Failures
ive always looked at table top games but no one plays around me what should i do? theres a local comic shop but im afraid to ask because im kind of young.

bsg75 on

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It can't hurt to ask. Any place that will shun you just because you are young you probably don't want to associate with anyway. Check and see if the shop does demos or anything like that.

Marathon on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All my local shops also have a big binder near their RPG section that has a lis of groups looking for people, and people looking for groups. So you can put your personal info and what you'd like to play, or look for a group that needs a person. Can even check addresses to see if one is near your house.

Otherwise, a great ice-breaker is to ask someone that RPs about their favorite character. They'll launch into a multi-hour tale of his greatest exploits. If you can survive that, they'll owe you.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd check around your school. Find the guys with greasy hair and sweat stains and ask about gaming and I'm sure you'll find someone eventually. Good places to check are the chess club and band.

I've found demos really hit and miss. Sometimes the people can be really pretentious, boring, or way to immature("*snort* Its a female elf I want to hit on her can I roll diplomacy"). In high school it becomes easier to find gamer pals and then in college it gets hard not to find them if thats what you are into(Anime/import car clubs, D&D clubs, etc).

Kin33 on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are plenty of online games going on all the time. Read them, and you a) find out what people are doing, and b) maybe it's fun enough to do online. Note that play by post games are notoriously slow, and it's more fun to do IRL though.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Otherwise, a great ice-breaker is to ask someone that RPs about their favorite character. They'll launch into a multi-hour tale of his greatest exploits. If you can survive that, they'll owe you.

This is both hilarious and true. Also, if the dude's exploits are completely distasteful to you, you'll know that you really don't want to play with that guy.
    Kin33 wrote: »
    I'd check around your school. Find the guys with greasy hair and sweat stains and ask about gaming and I'm sure you'll find someone eventually. Good places to check are the chess club and band.

Don't forget the art and drama clubs. Especially drama clubs. Artsy weirdos like me love DnD too.

Better yet, start your own club. Find a teacher who thinks it's a neat idea (might be easier than you think, one of the players in my group is a high school teacher's aide), then see who turns out for your first meeting. You'll find what books you'll need for your club depending upon what system people want to play. Then everybody can chip in, buy the core books for that system, and then the club will own the books and you'll be able to have game sessions at club meetings after school and won't have to worry about annoying anyone's parents, and your parent's won't have to worry about things getting out of hand because there will be supervision.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg