As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's time to not talk about Outlaws in [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Winky wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    If we started a program to domesticate monkeys, within 200 years or so we'd have viable pets. I think it could probably be done. But it would be so unnerving that I am not sure we could handle it.

These little proto-humans in our houses: wearing collars, using the toilet, answering the door with their little hands that can work our technology, doing tricks for food in front of company. PeTA would just gesture broadly and be like: "SEE! WE TOLD YOU THIS WHOLE CONCEPT WAS REALLY FUCKED UP!"

All the feral domesticated monkeys running around.

I mean, we already have a feral monkey problem in like every city where they live naturally don't we?

No. Those aren't feral. They are just wild monkeys.

I'm not sure what term describes what I mean; when animals who are wild begin living in human environments without domestication?

wild

like a wild pigeon or wild rat, not that anybody says that rather than specifying "pet pigeon, pet rat" but you get the idea

feral is something domesticated that's become wild

so feral dogs, the dreaded feral cow, etc

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've also noticed that you can tell Futurama was animated in Korea, because characters are constantly opening books by their back covers and clamshell cases, like that sarcophagus, are left-handed.

Little detail with Infinity: the Morat are dominantly left-handed.

dic9feukmd72.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If we started a program to domesticate monkeys, within 200 years or so we'd have viable pets. I think it could probably be done. But it would be so unnerving that I am not sure we could handle it.

These little proto-humans in our houses: wearing collars, using the toilet, answering the door with their little hands that can work our technology, doing tricks for food in front of company. PeTA would just gesture broadly and be like: "SEE! WE TOLD YOU THIS WHOLE CONCEPT WAS REALLY FUCKED UP!"

I'd consider this part a feature.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    food delivery times are 1+ hours these days. qq

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I feel like monkeys have been an annoying problem for exactly the amount of time any human has lived anywhere close to a monkey

they're just plain mischevious

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I mean, we already have a feral monkey problem in like every city where they live naturally don't we?

I'm not sure what term describes what I mean; when animals who are wild begin living in human environments without domestication?

wild

Jesus Christ you people I got that already.

I don't just mean wild, I mean animals that have become a nuisance due to their interaction with nearby human habitation, what's the word for it?

Winky on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Was Outbreak the move where Dustin Hoffman played a reporter?

I think so. I remember him being in a movie where he plays a reporter. And it was ridiculous because Dustin Hoffman mumbles, so he would never, ever, be a reporter on a live news show.

No. He was a reporter in Tootsie, though?

It was some kind of disaster movie. Hmmm. IMDB says no, though. I don't know what it was I'm thinking of then.

• Options
    I don't just mean wild, I mean animals that have become a nuisance due to their interaction with nearby human habitation, what's the word for it?

Tourists

• Options
    edited September 2020

wild

I don't just mean wild, I mean animals that have become a nuisance due to nearby their interaction with human habitation, what's the word for it?

a pest, I suppose, is the closest term?

nuisance is very broad and context specific. Well, so is pest.

I have a feeling that there is a term for wild animals who thrive in human environments, I have a vague feeling that I knew a word like that once - without the "being a nuisance" part, since that depends on the specific problem.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm not sure there is a term for that.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Lately I’ve been seeing bags with the jerky that are whole chunks of pork belly. I thought you needed lean cuts for jerky, because fat goes rancid? These are fatty, almost soft cubes of pork belly. How do they survive on the same timelines as jerky wtf

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

wild

The term "urban wildlife" refers to non-domesticated, sometimes tame animals that have adapted to live within human environments, and are acclimated to the presence of people. Squirrels, mice, rats, foxes, pigeons, falcons and eagles in cities with skyscrapers. Bears, deer, moose, monkeys, sometimes elephants. Penguins in many areas!

Not all are pests, not all are tame. Some eat trash and depend on humans while other have found a way to continue doing their own thing in our cities.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lately I’ve been seeing bags with the jerky that are whole chunks of pork belly. I thought you needed lean cuts for jerky, because fat goes rancid? These are fatty, almost soft cubes of pork belly. How do they survive on the same timelines as jerky wtf

with the amount of salt and sugar you should have a hostile environment for bacteria, the drying process should also remove the wetness that the bacteria live in.

i mean it would be a disgusting texture, but people are weird.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The term I was looking for was synanthropic

Though yeah if they are a nuisance specifically you would call them pests

Winky on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

With really good prep, salt, and low humidity, you can get an ok shelf life out of fattier dried meats. But they do go rancid kind of quickly after opening.

• Options
    Synurbanization!

• Options
    Another good word is anthropophilia, which is a parasite that loves humans in particular

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Penguins are the cutest synanthropes. Generally the same coastlines that people like to build on are also attractive to penguins. If people build there, the penguins do not give a shit and will use the land also, just parking a colony on top of the house or fishing hut or research station. Building little rock nests under the front steps, using the same walking paths like if another penguin had cleared them. Scuttling out of the way when a group of people pass through, like they would for an elephant seal, but not threatened or traumatized by the experience.

They're not too interested in our food or trash, so they don't really beg or get particularly interested in what the people are doing, so they're not pests aside from the smell if there's a lot of them.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    penguins are also impeccably dressed

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I enjoy it when wild animals and domestic animals get along (as long as there isn't a critter plague around).

Birds hanging out on horse backs and gently removing tufts of loose fur is adorable.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Another good word is anthropophilia, which is a parasite that loves humans in particular

No politics in chat

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I enjoy it when wild animals and domestic animals get along (as long as there isn't a critter plague around).

Birds hanging out on horse backs and gently removing tufts of loose fur is adorable.

The first time I saw Cattle Egrets I was dumbfounded
    Each with it's own cow.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Domesticating apes rather than monkeys would be outright upsetting. I don't think we could complete the process without the whole enterprise being derailed by a moral crisis.

I mean, I feel like that would be real close to uplifting/planet of the apes type shit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Domesticating apes rather than monkeys would be outright upsetting. I don't think we could complete the process without the whole enterprise being derailed by a moral crisis.

Humans have shown themselves perfectly able to do horrific things for long periods of time.

• Options
    I have no clue how to play mahjong but I need this:
    https://youtu.be/F96vPivXFH8

• Options
    I have no clue how to play mahjong but I need this:
    https://youtu.be/F96vPivXFH8

It's pretty similar to gin rummy. You have 14 tiles with the goal of accruing matching suits of three or consecutive runs of three and one pair. Draw, take the last discarded tile, and discard your own as necessary on your turn.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Welp I just totally fucked up something related to the power of the house

Now I need to call an electrician on off hours cause I have no power to my second floor and attic

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    impeccably well dressed

that delivery guy in a jacket and tie,
    that puppy in a double-breast 🎶

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Now I need to call an electrician on off hours cause I have no power to my second floor and attic
    Check the breaker first. You may have tripped the arc fault Current interrupter (AFCI)

zepherin on
  • Options
    I kind of want the Magic Folio keyboard for my iPad, but I also don’t want to spend 450 dollars on it.

Using an el-cheapo 20 dollar bluetooth keyboard right now to see how much typing I actually end up doing on the iPad. Making poast with it at the moment.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Wife using my deodorant because hers is terrible.

• Options
    Also god damn is it painful to use the youtube app on iOS/iPadOS. No working adblocker. I gave up after 30 seconds and just watch youtube stuff on a computer with an adblocker like God intended.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Check the breaker first. You may have tripped the arc fault Current interrupter (AFCI)

Ok so this is the thing this house was a duplex at one point so all upstairs is controlled by this panel the one off switch is the one for this room I was changing these light switches

kiwjxnm6a0l7.jpeg

If there is more downstairs I don’t know about it cause the big panel down there i went and reset already

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This makes me think of

2013-10-16-The-Ear-And-Meow.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I thought it was jacuzzi

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Ok so this is the thing this house was a duplex at one point so all upstairs is controlled by this panel the one off switch is the one for this room I was changing these light switches

kiwjxnm6a0l7.jpeg

If there is more downstairs I don’t know about it cause the big panel down there i went and reset already

Ok I don't there's any risk of an arcfault breaker in this box.

• Options
    Arcfault breakers started appearing in residential homes around the early 2000s and that breaker panel looks like it's straight out of the 1970s.

• Options
    Blargh $300 to have an electrician show up on a sunday

This discussion has been closed.