As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's time to not talk about Outlaws in [chat]

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    messed up that yoko taro is making me resubscribe to ff14 so i can play the nier raid

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    You can subscribe to anything if you know where to look. We get cat litter delivered every two months!

Is cat litter delivery ethical? I have been telling myself that someone has to carry it around lots of times on the way to a store so surely it's...the same....

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

How did the designers of the poster mess up so bad and make a hot romance poster?

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Why wouldn’t cat litter delivery be ethical?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Six wrote: »

It heavy and cheap

Tumin on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm on route B at the moment

Is this your first time playing the game?

If so, oh boy.

Yeah, I have some semblance of the kinds of things I'm going to run into from playing Nier, though.

I actually started playing it forever ago but got sidetracked before completing A route and am finally getting back to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgx_xBLz6fg

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Point is you can go into a GS store right now to pre order

Sony fucked this up incredibly

I would go through Best Buy or Walmart. Is Gamestop jumping the gun?

Everyone did, they werent supposed to go live until tomorrow

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @MrMister the post you linked (or maybe the comments - with ctrl f it looks like it's there) mentions sex as a "cluster concept" and talks about a "property-cluster account" of sex. Are those terms commonly used? (I think I can find property-cluster in literature, at least). I ask because I have struggled to find a word for how humans tend to categorize things vs how we talk about their categorization, primarily with respect to sex but also in general, so it'd be good to have a term for our tendency to infer group membership/identity from an aggregate of weighted properties vs our tendency to discuss things with (explicit sometimes, but more often implicit) single-property definitions.

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

It heavy and cheap

I hope it's ethical, because my disabled ass isn't especially smitten with the idea of going to the store to lift a ruddy great big box of the stuff every month or two.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thanks to my very hippy gf I have learned most cat litter is stripped mined and not great for the planet?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't know that something being a little heavy qualifies its delivery as being unethical

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    i don't know that something being a little heavy qualifies its delivery as being unethical

Heavy weapons
    Heavy metals
    Heavy handed

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Thanks to my very hippy gf I have learned most cat litter is stripped mined and not great for the planet?

way to suck the fun out of giving my pets a box to shit in, Mazzyx.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I mean she has cats she uses like a mix of I think walnut litter and normal litter to use less normal litter.

Don't look at me. I have a dog!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    UGH UGH.

If i had waited 1 turn to cast a spell, i would've won this draft game instead of losing it.

UGH UGH.

If i had waited 1 turn to cast a spell, i would've won this draft game instead of losing it.

Wow, Draughts sure has changed a lot since I played it as a kid.

(Look, I know this joke doesn't work written down, but let me have this)

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I often feel quite down on my writing, because the standard against which I judge myself is the polished prose of people who write professionally. And, professionally, my writing is regularly subject to savage criticism.

But hoo boy, these student papers are reminding me of the fact that people don't fall out of the womb fluent in the written word and the median piece of prose is pretty dire.

I feel seen right now.

/writes another horrible paper for my professors/TAs to grade.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    7435ie4v4ukw.jpg

The big wig in charge of Ninja Gaiden 3 apologizes for the game's poor quality with a brilliant metaphor.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    @MrMister the post you linked (or maybe the comments - with ctrl f it looks like it's there) mentions sex as a "cluster concept" and talks about a "property-cluster account" of sex. Are those terms commonly used? (I think I can find property-cluster in literature, at least). I ask because I have struggled to find a word for how humans tend to categorize things vs how we talk about their categorization, primarily with respect to sex but also in general, so it'd be good to have a term for our tendency to infer group membership/identity from an aggregate of weighted properties vs our tendency to discuss things with (explicit sometimes, but more often implicit) single-property definitions.

@Shivahn

"Cluster concept" and "family resemblance concept" are both used in philosophy to talk about concepts which lack necessary and sufficient conditions, but whose members instead qualify by virtue of an aggregate score across some underlying weighted dimensions (which we may not be very good at articulating)--like, for instance, how family resemblance works with actual families.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    @mim I'm trying to think of how one would learn to digest legalese

The big thing, I think, is to understand what the point of the writing is, and to understand what a particular sentence does to further or qualify that goal.

Administrative laws that govern regulation are pretty cut and dry; outlining what an activity is and then what would be illegal within those parameters (like driving, which due to precedent and usage is extremely defined)

Do you have an example which you'd like to discuss? It's hard to talk about without specific examples, which is a cunning feature of the dialect

@Eddy uhhh nothing right now. But I'll be working from home tomorrow.

I do hate how the questions are written on the I-485 though. Even lawyers seem to hate it?

i'm downloading ios14

i'm excited.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    119690452_648006756092397_5366976907308640181_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=HLvlDe-1dIMAX_d6Jhq&_nc_ht=scontent.fath3-3.fna&oh=88c745c2275dda821db7b78fdb06974a&oe=5F8A1EDA

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i guess im bored right now.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

How did the designers of the poster mess up so bad and make a hot romance poster?

Pegging in the Time of Corona

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    @Eddy

Like I try to break this down easier for the applicants because if I read all 80 questions verbatim, I would be there forever. But reading this the first time was bananas:
    Are you the spouse, son or daughter of a foreign national who engaged in the trafficking of persons and have received or obtained, within the last five years, any financial or other benefits from the illicit activity of your spouse or your parent, although you knew or reasonably should have known that this benefit resulted from the illicit activity of your spouse or parent?

this, right now with my eyes kind of going over the text quickly, made my eyes go "BFSAFJSDLJKGFSDLKFJKFJSKLFJ":
    §1184. Admission of nonimmigrants
    (a) Regulations
    (1) The admission to the United States of any alien as a nonimmigrant shall be for such time and under such conditions as the Attorney General may by regulations prescribe, including when he deems necessary the giving of a bond with sufficient surety in such sum and containing such conditions as the Attorney General shall prescribe, to insure that at the expiration of such time or upon failure to maintain the status under which he was admitted, or to maintain any status subsequently acquired under section 1258 of this title, such alien will depart from the United States. No alien admitted to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands without a visa pursuant to section 1182(l) of this title may be authorized to enter or stay in the United States other than in Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or to remain in Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands for a period exceeding 45 days from date of admission to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. No alien admitted to the United States without a visa pursuant to section 1187 of this title may be authorized to remain in the United States as a nonimmigrant visitor for a period exceeding 90 days from the date of admission.

(2)(A) The period of authorized status as a nonimmigrant described in section 1101(a)(15)(O) of this title shall be for such period as the Attorney General may specify in order to provide for the event (or events) for which the nonimmigrant is admitted.

(B) The period of authorized status as a nonimmigrant described in section 1101(a)(15)(P) of this title shall be for such period as the Attorney General may specify in order to provide for the competition, event, or performance for which the nonimmigrant is admitted. In the case of nonimmigrants admitted as individual athletes under section 1101(a)(15)(P) of this title, the period of authorized status may be for an initial period (not to exceed 5 years) during which the nonimmigrant will perform as an athlete and such period may be extended by the Attorney General for an additional period of up to 5 years.

(spoiled for length)

my brain shit the bed today at work. I hadn't thought about immigration law in a bit and interviewing was the last thing on my mind and my brain was also like "HSOIUD2954ITHWEISHTFGOI%$#%%@$#@##$GJNFASJFHSJKDHFKALJ32954783297203#@$#^%$#%%@$#@##$"

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I look at the title Cordelia and my brain only sees Amelia Bedelia.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    @Eddy

Like I try to break this down easier for the applicants because if I read all 80 questions verbatim, I would be there forever. But reading this the first time was bananas:
    Are you the spouse, son or daughter of a foreign national who engaged in the trafficking of persons and have received or obtained, within the last five years, any financial or other benefits from the illicit activity of your spouse or your parent, although you knew or reasonably should have known that this benefit resulted from the illicit activity of your spouse or parent?

this, right now with my eyes kind of going over the text quickly, made my eyes go "BFSAFJSDLJKGFSDLKFJKFJSKLFJ":
    (a) Regulations
    (1) The admission to the United States of any alien as a nonimmigrant shall be for such time and under such conditions as the Attorney General may by regulations prescribe, including when he deems necessary the giving of a bond with sufficient surety in such sum and containing such conditions as the Attorney General shall prescribe, to insure that at the expiration of such time or upon failure to maintain the status under which he was admitted, or to maintain any status subsequently acquired under section 1258 of this title, such alien will depart from the United States. No alien admitted to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands without a visa pursuant to section 1182(l) of this title may be authorized to enter or stay in the United States other than in Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or to remain in Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands for a period exceeding 45 days from date of admission to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. No alien admitted to the United States without a visa pursuant to section 1187 of this title may be authorized to remain in the United States as a nonimmigrant visitor for a period exceeding 90 days from the date of admission.

(2)(A) The period of authorized status as a nonimmigrant described in section 1101(a)(15)(O) of this title shall be for such period as the Attorney General may specify in order to provide for the event (or events) for which the nonimmigrant is admitted.

(B) The period of authorized status as a nonimmigrant described in section 1101(a)(15)(P) of this title shall be for such period as the Attorney General may specify in order to provide for the competition, event, or performance for which the nonimmigrant is admitted. In the case of nonimmigrants admitted as individual athletes under section 1101(a)(15)(P) of this title, the period of authorized status may be for an initial period (not to exceed 5 years) during which the nonimmigrant will perform as an athlete and such period may be extended by the Attorney General for an additional period of up to 5 years.

(spoiled for length)

The first one is just kind of wordy: are you married to or the child of a human trafficker? If yes, did you receive benefits in the past 5 years from them that you should've known were stemming from that?

The second one is tough. Frequently there are administrative rules promulgated that are written in plainer English and "fill the gaps", a statute like that is going to be pretty heavy legalese to try and lock up the process.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    At least the mayo isn't being squirted onto the fries.

no that could work

ftOqU21.png
    or are we being figurative and talking about frotting here

ftOqU21.png
    @Eddy

(a) Regulations

(spoiled for length)

The first one is just kind of wordy: are you married to or the child of a human trafficker? If yes, did you receive benefits in the past 5 years from them that you should've known were stemming from that?

The second one is tough. Frequently there are administrative rules promulgated that are written in plainer English and "fill the gaps", a statute like that is going to be pretty heavy legalese to try and lock up the process.

Yeah, I do sit down and go over the form questions to make them easier to ask.

but that other thing..THAT is what I struggle with. How do I break that down for me?

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    That question feels particularly unnecessarily worded @Mim .

Why not just word it: "In the last 5 years, have you received financial or other benefits, from a foreign national spouse or parent, that derived from the trafficking of persons, and which you knew or should have reasonably known about?"

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

but that other thing..THAT is what I struggle with. How do I break that down for me?

You could physically write brackets around each clause, since (at least with your second example) it appears to be written using extensive amounts of subordinate clauses to express related-but-tangential aspects. Brackets would serve to isolate unrelated-to-the-main-gist aspects which would make it somewhat easier to read.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited September 2020
    @Eddy

(a) Regulations

(spoiled for length)

after looking at it, having another glass of wine, then trying again, I think... I think all it actually says is "find the relevant regulations by the attorney general"

(or rather: the attorney general is going to write the regulations about this; here's a couple of specific limits on what those regulations can be)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

imo this poster sucks not because it's accidentally romantic but just because it's not that easy to visually parse

took me a solid second to figure out what the black void in the middle is, that robe is a weird color and texture that low key suggests camp 50s space adventure, the two actors hands are masculine and feminine but with the lighting and focus and everything you have to actually look at them to see it, etc etc etc

edited September 2020
    is that not a noblewoman pinning a maid against the wall for, depending on if they're going for trashy or oscar, hot sapphic loving, or angsty hot sapphic loving?

Edit: oh right twitter's piece of shit cropping. Well, the version(s) in my head are better.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

imo this poster sucks not because it's accidentally romantic but just because it's not that easy to visually parse

took me a solid second to figure out what the black void in the middle is, that robe is a weird color and texture that low key suggests camp 50s space adventure, the two actors hands are masculine and feminine but with the lighting and focus and everything you have to actually look at them to see it, etc etc etc
    did you click through to bypass the stupid twitter cropping because the actual poster should not be hard to parse

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.