As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't understand why
    the reapers don't start the reaping by taking the citadel - it's been explained that it's the key to controlling the galaxy but this time they just ignore it and go straight for the home planets. why let the species attempt to coordinate a fightback through the citadel?
    The Citadel is a critical piece of Reaper infrastructure and centerpiece of their "normal" invasion plans. They likely don't want to damage it too much by a direct, full scale assault. Plus the Reapers are willing to spend hundreds of years methodically wiping out civilizations. The slightly more time this round would have taken, Crucible notwithstanding, due to not being able to cripple species leadership at the outset was probably inconsequential to them in the grand scheme of things. It's not like they weren't just steamrolling planets anyway.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't understand why
    the reapers don't start the reaping by taking the citadel - it's been explained that it's the key to controlling the galaxy but this time they just ignore it and go straight for the home planets. why let the species attempt to coordinate a fightback through the citadel?
    The Citadel is a critical piece of Reaper infrastructure and centerpiece of their "normal" invasion plans. They likely don't want to damage it too much by a direct, full scale assault. Plus the Reapers are willing to spend hundreds of years methodically wiping out civilizations. The slightly more time this round would have taken, Crucible notwithstanding, due to not being able to cripple species leadership at the outset was probably inconsequential to them in the grand scheme of things. It's not like they weren't just steamrolling planets anyway.
    Also I think the stuff with the Keepers in the first game still prevents them from taking over until Cerberus does it's thing towards the end of the game. While Shepard was hitting TIM's base, TIM went to the Citadel to unwittingly finish Saren's job.

sig.gif
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    In ME3, does Cerberus actually do full-blown invasions, or just commando raids / small-scale stuff? I genuinely can't remember.

Mostly raids.

The Citadel attack is probably their largest offensive.

Then I don't understand where the "Cerberus forces are too large for my suspension of disbelief" sentiment comes from. You don't need a gigantic military to perform a few commando raids.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's easy to punch holes in the enemies plans in any of the games.
    In 1:
    Why was Saren looking for the Conduit in the first place? It provided a great way to get into the Citadel while bypassing all the people who'd shoot him on sight, but prior to the start of the game he's the Council's golden Spectre. He could have flown in with a few hundred geth on a ship, taken the Presidium, called in Sovereign and the fleet, and locked it down before anyone knew what was going on.
    It's only after he gets exposed that searching for the Conduit makes any sense, but he's clearly been searching for a while.
    In ME3, does Cerberus actually do full-blown invasions, or just commando raids / small-scale stuff? I genuinely can't remember.

Mostly raids.

Then I don't understand where the "Cerberus forces are too large for my suspension of disbelief" sentiment comes from. You don't need a gigantic military to perform a few commando raids.

Because we're fighting them about as much as we're fighting the massive galaxy-invading force, natural instinct is to feel like they're about the same size. When we fight Cerberus we're fighting most of their forces in that place. when we fight the Reapers we're just fighting the husks where we are, they're also probably covering the rest of the planet.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Eh I'm playing through 3 right now and you're never given the impression that Cerberus is doing planet wide stuff. It's very clear it's specific locations/missions.

The Reapers on the other hand yes, and even then most of their forces are focused on major cities.

But you do fight them a lot and I think to some degree it's simply cause they're more interesting to fight than Reaper thralls.

Dragkonias on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    In 1:
    Why was Saren looking for the Conduit in the first place? It provided a great way to get into the Citadel while bypassing all the people who'd shoot him on sight, but prior to the start of the game he's the Council's golden Spectre. He could have flown in with a few hundred geth on a ship, taken the Presidium, called in Sovereign and the fleet, and locked it down before anyone knew what was going on.
    It's only after he gets exposed that searching for the Conduit makes any sense, but he's clearly been searching for a while.

Mostly raids.

Because we're fighting them about as much as we're fighting the massive galaxy-invading force, natural instinct is to feel like they're about the same size. When we fight Cerberus we're fighting most of their forces in that place. when we fight the Reapers we're just fighting the husks where we are, they're also probably covering the rest of the planet.

It seems to me that Cerberus would use its limited forces in the places it matters most. Shepard goes to the places where her presence would matter the most. Not coincidentally, they run into each other all the time.

klemming wrote: »
    In 1:

Mostly raids.

It seems to me that Cerberus would use its limited forces in the places it matters most. Shepard goes to the places where her presence would matter the most. Not coincidentally, they run into each other all the time.

It generally annoys me in fandom that, if things are not explained in minute detail, some fans see something they can't immediately explain and for some reason jump to the conclusion that it makes no sense, instead of thinking about it for, like, 2 seconds.

"Shepard went to a place, and a small Cerberus commando team came there to stop her. This can only mean that Cerberus is everywhere at once and thus has 100,000,000,000 troops" instead of "the organization that tries to stop Shepard shows up with a small commando team where Shepard goes if the opportunity is there".

Are there 100 Kai Lengs because you run into him a number of times? Or is there perhaps a slightly more logical explanation?

Not to start up that discussion in this thread, but that's why I stopped reading the D&D SW thread. Every single thing in the Disney Trilogy that wasn't spoonfed to the poster was preposterous and impossible (even if 2 seconds of thought could come up with a plausible explanation), and everything that was explained was time wasted on extraneous detail.

Sorry for the snarky tone. It's a pet peeve of mine, and completely ruined any attempt at talking about a franchise I like (SW). This has… not made me more mellow about said peeve.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Two of my biggest frustrations in ME3 were how it handled certain "antagonistic" characters.
    Udina and TIM, of course.

TIM was always a bad guy, to be sure. You can't trust him or his methods, but he is honest about his goals. He wants the betterment of humanity, both externally from threats and internally with transhumanism. He wants to save humanity from the Collector threat, he wants to save humanity from the Reaper threat, and he's the only one in the galaxy both willing and capable of doing so. He's also smart enough to keep all his projects compartmentalized and at a distance.

In ME3 he's a straightforward, unambigous bad guy who thinks it's a good idea to implant Reapers into his eyeballs. He gets himself indoctrinated for no goddamn reason. It's simplistic, boring, unnuanced take on a compelling character. It make the final "dialogue battle" with TIM unsatisfying. Instead of a battle of philosophies or morality, you're just yelling at the guy for how stupid he was to implant Reapers into his eyeballs. It's a worse rehash of the same conversation with Saren.

And the kicker is, TIM's game-long plan of controlling the Reapers? It could have worked, if he didn't stick Reapers in his eyeballs.

I'll be honest, I always liked Udina. He is a consistent advocate for humanity. He's spent his whole career trying to advance humanity's standing in galactic society. He's the one that pushed hard to get Shepard into the Spectres. Udina's occasional hostility towards Shepard is always coming from the perspective of not trying to jeopardize humanity's precarious position on the galactic stage. In ME1, it was locking down the Normandy because Shepard was risking war with the Terminus Systems over mysterious visions. In ME2, Shepard was an undead Spectre working with known terrorists, and Udina was justifiably worried about that looking bad for humanity.

In ME3, the writers just wrote him off as an untrustworthy bad guy who betrays everyone to terrorists for nonsensical reasons. Even within the game, he comes across as a completely different person between the initial (really good) conversations you can have with him, and during the Citadel invasion.

Seriously, I love his writing during the initial conversations with him in ME3. He's outwardly a ruthless politician, but he does care deeply about humanity and is doing his best. The sadness in his voice as he remembers the people he knew on Arcturus Station always gets me.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie playing LE has made miss the Bioware forums.

It was a ton of cringe and toxicity but it was fun having a centralized place to talk about said games.

Modern social media is a bit too one size fits all.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    iirc The Illusive Man has always had that Reaper tech implanted in him, it's partly why in hindsight he was always compromised to some extent even as his own will remained untouched throughout. The Reapers never actually seriously leaned on his indoctrination until they walked in on the galaxy, and then it was mask-off time.

Mostly raids.

I feel like given where we are today at this point we should already know it doesn't even take a standing army to potentially endanger a physical seat of government

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fuckin hell I forgot how difficult the Vorcha are on insanity if you do Mordin’s mission first.

iirc The Illusive Man has always had that Reaper tech implanted in him, it's partly why in hindsight he was always compromised to some extent even as his own will remained untouched throughout. The Reapers never actually seriously leaned on his indoctrination until they walked in on the galaxy, and then it was mask-off time.
    He has cyborg eyes in ME2, a nice character trait to show his transhumanism, but it's not Reaper tech at the time. He doesn't actually get his Reaper surgery until ME3. There's an audio log in-game about it.

Bogart wrote: »
    Fuckin hell I forgot how difficult the Vorcha are on insanity if you do Mordin’s mission first.

BREAK FANS!

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Decided to do a full second playthrough of ME3 rather than just load up ng+ for the level 10 gun achievement. Rushing a bit but I did use the com terminal to talk to the only squadmate that ever mattered, my best buddy Zaeed Massani.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Staff Analyst Brooks, pre-
    -betrayal to Team Clone
    is so fucking great.

• NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I must say the Mako sure is fun to bounce around in! Despite the reported clunkiness "blah blah,"I have always loved this part of Mass Effect 1.
    My teammates, Garrus and Tali, not so much, as I stunt jump and cartwheel off mountains! They've got to be pulverized sacks of meat goo in that ol'Mako.

This is exactly how I like to imagine Shepard and company bounce across alien worlds in the Mako.

https://youtu.be/iwcIf9lqEJY

The way I drive the Mako, I'd say it was more like the box Ace Ventura was kicking around in the first film!

Woo and first run done. Went synthesis, will do destroy on next playthrough.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I am amused that at the Normandy SR1 crash site, the Mako is just... there, in the middle, on a rock. Pristine. As it should be.

(I'd say we should have taken it back with us, but we can't let Cerberus get their hands on that tech!)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    All right. Let's talk about insanity. I'm trying very hard to understand why this is fun.

Starting ME2, I fired it up on the highest difficulty. Why not? I've been playing on Hardcore, let's just bump it to the next level. I also switched from Infiltrator to Adept. Figured, hey, Cerberus would probably install Shepard with something that turns him into a black-hole throwing maniac. I wanted to try something new.

Now that everything is on a universal cooldown, the amount of powers I'm using feels really limited. Yeah, I've taken the cooldown reduction passives, but it results in a ton of sitting around and waiting. Shooting anything is basically a terrible idea, as I immediately lose all my shields and start taking hp damage. And it's just a few shots from there until I'm straight-up dead. I don't know if Adept is just way more fragile than the rest of the classes because it's a "space wizard," but the end result is that I'm just cowering behind cover while I wait for cooldowns to go off so I can toss one of 5 piddly warps to strip protection, so I can actually do SOMETHING useful with pull/throw/singularity. Occasionally I can pop out for a pot shot or two, before endless waves of shielded and armored goons eviscerate me with bullets.

I am properly matching abilities to protection type for maximum efficiency, but my squadmates are frequently dead. NPC AI feels like a massive liability when every enemy has enough protection to advance to a flanking position, either resulting in their death or mine because they're already dead.

I'm also playing on console this time around because of my poor potato PC. I don't know if that is part of the problem, but aiming is so finnicky. I'll target the wrong guy, or a squadmate will use a concussion shot and the mook is out of position and my Throw sails off into la-la land. Things are finally coming together now that I have a few levels and powers under my belt, but it's still a plodding pace through every combat while I'm waiting for someone's cooldowns to reset so I can kill a single guy.

I'm being a bit stubborn about bumping it down a difficulty, but I am very close to walking away from the game for a bit. I'm kinda hoping someone can tell me where I'm going wrong. I'm relatively early in the game (level 7). At what should I expect this to feel good?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited May 2021
    I would argue Adept is the weakest classe in ME2 on higher difficulties.

You pretty much need squaddies who are gonna cover your weak points. It's why I ran Garrus and Grunt for most of my Adept run.

I will also say you should do LotSB asap for Adept.

The stasis bonus power helps so much.

Warp ammo is also a good choice but yeah it needs a lot more work than the other classes.

Also if your aim is decent taking sniper rifles for your third weapon helps a lot.

Dragkonias on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well, maybe I'll just start over because this slog is not great.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Well, maybe I'll just start over because this slog is not great.

If you aren't enjoying it, that's okay. Insanity is a slog in the beginning for most Classes, and that's not everyone's idea of a good time. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but what I can do is give you some insight into what I enjoy about it, since you mentioned having difficulty understanding why others think it's fun --

Personally, I will never play Mass Effect on a difficulty lower than Insanity. This is simply the setting that I enjoy the most. It's okay if others dont like it, or don't agree with me, but in my opinion, Insanity is (for the most part -some poorly scaled Thorian Creepers in ME1 not withstanding-) the way that Mass Effect was meant to be played: it's fast, it's lethal on both sides, and it challenges you at times with every playthrough.

Insanity is also when you start to see a lot of the cracks in the system, though, like when you really start to understand how bad friendly AI is. You mentioned how they keep dying, and yeah, that's a common problem in both ME1/2. There are two things to take away from that: the first is that you should get into the habit of manually placing your squadmates in the rear of every engagement. Literally, just park their asses out of LOS and leave them. You're just using them for their Powers, since they won't kill shit effectively on their own*, anyway. So just keep them tucked away so you can use their abilities on cooldown.

Speaking of which, make sure you have them set to never use their abilities independently.

*the only squadmates who use weapons effectively on Insanity are Garrus and Zaeed, because they both have Sniper Rifles. Just give them each a Mantis, park them in the back, and you'll see them score some solid hits. But that's only really effective because you've placed them out of the way, and they're only popping up for as moment, to deal big one-shot damage with a Mantis, then ducking back into cover. Anything else just gets them killed. Grunt is an exception; he's tanky enough to stand frontline with a Shotgun, but you're mostly just using him to screen., rather than score kills.

I cab give you specific advice if you let me know where you are in the story, what your build looks like, etc.

Also if your aim is decent taking sniper rifles for your third weapon helps a lot.

ARs for the Mattock is so fkn good though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Oh, fuck off, Miranda -- there is literally no way you'll convince me that, as director of Project Lazarus, you knew nothing about the [Citadel DLC Spoilers]
    Clone.

Get that bullshit outta my apartment.

edited May 2021
    I'll intentionally miss the bottle shot so that Garrus can go on believing he's the best shot, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let James get away with having the most pull ups. 182, lol goddamn. Fucking get on my level, Vega.

milk ducks on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Oh, fuck off, Miranda -- there is literally no way you'll convince me that, as director of Project Lazarus, you knew nothing about the [Citadel DLC Spoilers]
    Clone.

Someone got the jump on her and nearly killed her at the Project Lazarus site, and yet you believe it would have been impossible for people to steal her data and use it on their own? That makes no sense at all.

Clone.

I can believe it.
    TIM was obviously keeping a lot from her. Just tell her that they can grow whatever cloned organs they need. Back then she didn't question whatever she was told.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got the level boost from being level 29 at the end of ME1 and insanity is still very difficult so far, a bit more so than it was in ME1, to be honest. I’m a vanguard who never uses charge because up till now it’s like a button that says SUICIDE.

I always went Infiltrator for Insanity, at least in 2. Hanging back out of the way and plinking the enemy down feels like the only way to survive. I'm not looking forward to The Corner in Archangel's recruitment mission. I think that killed me more than any other fight.

Clone.

Someone got the jump on her and nearly killed her at the Project Lazarus site, and yet you believe it would have been impossible for people to steal her data and use it on their own? That makes no sense at all.

It was specifically created for
    spare parts. If the primary Shepard needed a new arm, or kidney, or something along those lines. The Clone openly reports that. He wasn't created by some other team down the line that stole Miranda's work; he was created for Project Lazarus. Which means Miranda, as director of that particular project, would have direct oversight and full awareness of the Clone. There's no way around that, lol.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Now that I’ve beaten ME2, I’m just clearing out Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival. Despite it being Insanity, my Vanguard is well over the power level hump now and is a god of death. And in that first combat section, where Shepard is worried about what might have happened to her girlfriend. . .well. . .

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to shoot and blow up my bae. And you will know my name is Commander Shepard when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Basically, some mercs fuck around and find out.

Damn I love Shadow Broker. I honestly love it more than Citadel.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Clone.

spare parts. If the primary Shepard needed a new arm, or kidney, or something along those lines. The Clone openly reports that. He wasn't created by some other team down the line that stole Miranda's work; he was created for Project Lazarus. Which means Miranda, as director of that particular project, would have direct oversight and full awareness of the Clone. There's no way around that, lol.

Extremely easy hurdle to clear.
    Have TIM tell Miranda that he can create spare parts as needed (based on her notes/work) if they bust anything during the Lazarus project. He simply does not reveal that he's accomplishing this by baking up an entire alternate Shepard that he can spin up or destroy at leisure, depending on how the main project goes.

I agree on Adept being a weak choice for Insanity difficulty in ME2.

Sentinel served me very well. Overload for shields. Warp for armor and barriers. Throw with just a single point is good enough for basic crowd control. Tech Shield is amazing for its passive buffs as well as an on-demand shield by reactivating it whenever it's broken.

edited May 2021
    Clone.

Have TIM tell Miranda that he can create spare parts as needed (based on her notes/work) if they bust anything during the Lazarus project. He simply does not reveal that he's accomplishing this by baking up an entire alternate Shepard that he can spin up or destroy at leisure, depending on how the main project goes.

Literally makes no sense.
    The Clone isn't being built in secret in some other lab by some other Project; it was clearly built in-house by Project Lazarus. They need it for parts. Why would TIM tell some other project lead to copy Miranda's data at another site when she's already growing a Shepard? She already has the resources, the team, and the directive to recreate Shepard -- it makes sense for her to go ahead and grow a second as a backup, in case something goes wrong with the first. There's nothing nefarious about that. It just makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that TIM would pass on all of Miranda's work to a different team, at a different location, in case the Lazarus Cell needs parts. Like what's Miranda realistically going to do if there are problems with the primary? Put in a requisition to transfer organs over from another Cell (which, according to EDI, operates without knowledge of each other) and wait while it gets transported from another system?

No, the Clone was obviously created in-house at Project Lazarus under the direct supervision of Miranda Lawson. She's either lying when you invite her up to your apartment in Citadel, or BioWare just brain-farted.

milk ducks on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'll intentionally miss the bottle shot so that Garrus can go on believing he's the best shot, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let James get away with having the most pull ups. 182, lol goddamn. Fucking get on my level, Vega.

I didn't miss it because holding back in a genuine test of skill is disrespectful and I didn't want to do Garrus dirty like that.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Arteen wrote: »
    I agree on Adept being a weak choice for Insanity difficulty in ME2.

Sentinel served me very well. Overload for shields. Warp for armor and barriers. Throw with just a single point is good enough for basic crowd control. Tech Shield is amazing for its passive buffs as well as an on-demand shield by reactivating it whenever it's broken.

Adept has all the tools it needs to be successful on Insanity, but they're pretty reliant on their squadmates to cover their gaps early on. I would likely drop points into Throw and Biotic Mastery early on. It isn't flashy, but it's safe. And that's what you need early on: a fast-cooldown control ability for when enemies get too close.

You're going to need help with Armor and Shields, but Miranda has both Overload (I would max this first) and Warp, and then Jacob has Squad Incendiary Ammo (get this asap), while Zaeed has Squad Disruptor Ammo (ditto). And you're good to go.

They rely on their weapons a fair amount early on, but that should get them through to the mid game where they open up a lot.

Clone.

Literally makes no sense.
    The Clone isn't being built in secret in some other lab by some other Project; it was clearly built in-house by Project Lazarus. They need it for parts. Why would TIM tell some other project lead to copy Miranda's data at another site when she's already growing a Shepard? She already has the resources, the team, and the directive to recreate Shepard -- it makes sense for her to go ahead and grow a second as a backup, in case something goes wrong with the first. There's nothing nefarious about that. It just makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that TIM would pass on all of Miranda's work to a different team, at a different location, in case the Lazarus Cell needs parts. Like what's Miranda realistically going to do if there are problems with the primary? Put in a requisition to transfer organs over from another Cell (which, according to EDI, operates without knowledge of each other) and wait while it gets transported from another system?

No, the Clone was obviously created in-house at Project Lazarus under the direct supervision of Miranda Lawson. She's either lying when you invite her up to your apartment in Citadel, or BioWare just brain-farted.

Miranda was told to create an unaltered Shepard with free will and so on. And she did that, faithfully. Regarding the spoiler
    the assumption would be that the clone would be a backup if the real Shepard didn't work out. Whether that means replacing parts if Shepard dies or is damaged OR altering the clone's brain to be a Cerberus operative if the original has too much free will and decides to go against Cerberus. The clone can be the test of the idea that an altered Shepard wouldn't be useful. You alter the clone and see how it performs with, for example, the imperative to always follow Cerberus commands no matter what. Or what if Miranda decided to make the clone loyal to her and became a threat to TIM, having something to counter that would be important, which would also mean not telling her about it. Obviously the fly in the ointment of this idea is that TIM didn't activate the clone as soon as Shepard DID go against them, but eh. That's because Bioware didn't think of the idea during ME3.

I think there are some issues with it as presented, but it's pretty easy to wallpaper over also.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I got the level boost from being level 29 at the end of ME1 and insanity is still very difficult so far, a bit more so than it was in ME1, to be honest. I’m a vanguard who never uses charge because up till now it’s like a button that says SUICIDE.

The key for Vanguard is once you max out Heavy Charge and Champion as the assault mastery passive end trait.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Honestly you can explain a lot of shit by just remembering that Cerberus is a multi-trillion dollar tech company with the morals and common sense to match.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
This discussion has been closed.