As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Playing through ME2 I never realized how much of your crew are fresh Cerberus recruits.

Miranda is like the most senior member, let's you know TIM was putting his best suit on for Shep.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Playing through ME2 I never realized how much of your crew are fresh Cerberus recruits.

Miranda is like the most senior member, let's you know TIM was putting his best suit on for Shep.

I believe this is made explicit in logs you can find in both Shadow Broker and the Cerberus base mission in ME3

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Man, I forgot one major aspect of the Shadow Broker final fight.

Shepard going out and punching at a dude from a species that’s bigger, stronger and tougher than Krogan.

I love this DLC.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, that part put a smile on my face.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Honestly, the only Cerberus true believer on board is the cook/janitor. Who is never seen, heard from, or mentioned again post ME2.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I would give almost anything to have Mess Sergeant Rupert Gardner aboard the Alliance SR2.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Suspending the disbelief of Citadel's story requires more handwaving than some other story arcs that occur in Mass Effect. I accept it for what it is for the sake of the fanservicey nature of the entire thing but it is handwaving a lot of "why didn't X know about Y" in order to function.
    And that's fine! We don't have to pretend that Citadel's plot is entirely naturalistic with what we know of previous games. It's very clearly the writers just having fun for their last hurrah of the trilogy, inconsistencies be damned.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Man, I forgot one major aspect of the Shadow Broker final fight.

Shepard going out and punching at a dude from a species that’s bigger, stronger and tougher than Krogan.

I love this DLC.

I had a watershed moment watching Femshep go toe to toe punching the shit out of him. Raw female empowerment seeing her shoulder charge headlong into that omni shield with the soundtrack going apeshit

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Ok this last fight solo in the omega dlc is fucking impossible on insanity as a soldier. I just can’t do shit to the barriers

Ok figured it out shooting the stasis restraint things damages all enemies. Still fucking brutal

Prohass on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    It's not unbelievable that TIM could get 50,000 rifles and suits of armor built over the course of a few years. Cerberus was also specifically raiding colonies and reaperifying them to control them, so having 50,000 troops at the ready (assuming indoctrination can make them elite soldiers) isn't a stretch. Attacking a mars research base, a college, or two random places on Tuchanka are also pretty easy on disbelief. Attacking the citadel with inside help (re: Zaeed's cameo + Udina) is also not terribly stretching things when, even in ME2, Thane, Kasumi, and Legion remark how on many security holes there are.

The other thing to remember is that the Citadel wasn't under constant threat of hostile alien forces. Drell/Hanar/Elcor/Volus did not have massive military presences, and really, who wants to annex what is essentially the United Nations? If the Turians attacked and took over the Citadel, you'd get hella shitlisted by everyone else.

What doesn't make ANY sense, really, is Cerberus making their own ships. If they pulled a Quarian "We buy decommissioned ships and retrofit them", that would make sense. If they bribed an Alliance officer to sell them old ships, sure. But having a secret drydock, capable of building 10s or even 100s of ships somewhere is pretty crazy.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    How many large size ships did they have? Was it 3-4 cruisers? One from the DLC and some around the base?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Considering the Normandy holds like 20 people and two landing craft, judging by how many Cerb's you fight over the course of the game, I'm assuming they have a few hundred to actually be able to pull off what they're pulling off.

Carnarvon on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't really think you can use the Normandy as seen in ME2 as a benchmark. That ship looked super empty for a real military ship. Hell, it didn't even have enough bunks for the amount of people it had as it was. So I don't know if that works for or against Cerbs in this area.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Man, Shepard is a very angry woman at the start of ME3.

With good reason, obviously.

It’s not until she meets up with a certain someone in the first mission that she seems to flip back to being the confident and teasing ME2 Shepard.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    The Normandy's standout feature has always been that its a stealth vessel so I don't think its meant to carry a large crew.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Considering the Normandy holds like 20 people and two landing craft, judging by how many Cerb's you fight over the course of the game, I'm assuming they have a few hundred to actually be able to pull off what they're pulling off.

I mean it holds it's crew because that's all it needs. You could bunk a whole bunch of soldiers in the cargo bay though.

On top of which Cerberus soldiers have been partially reaperfied so who knows if they even need things like bunks and whatnot.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm sure they have like, dedicated troop transport ships that can carry large quantities of people. Also, ME3 spoilers:
    Do those Cerberus soldiers even need bunks? They're like, weird husk conversions, right? Do they even need sleep or food or anything? They're not like, feral, they still have some mental capacity, but idk what their needs are or what conditions are needed to keep them going.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I finished up all the remaining DLC and side missions in ME2, Insanity difficulty. I even managed to survive the Object Rho encounter in Arrival. Excellent stuff.

My thoughts on ME3 are conflicted. I'm not expecting my upcoming playthrough to change any of my thoughts on that game, but I'm hoping it will clarify and sharpen them. That game's problems run much deeper than just a disappointing ending, but there's so much to love about ME3, too.

edited June 2021
    So far my rerun of Me3 has me loving it. Like it had the most burden on its shoulders, and while the initial ending was bad, it all works a lot better now. Like yeah the absolute “ending ending” isn’t great, but the journey there in ME3 is full of well crafted big and small moments that feel rewarding to experience. It might lean a little too much into the blockbuster tropes but I still feel it retains what makes mass effect games great. It struggles to be both its own thing as well as a satisfying ending to 1 and 2 tying up all the threads, but there’s a tonne of great moments that I actually am appreciating more this time around

It also took a big kind of cinematic and emotional risk with Shepard and tried to make them a little less of a cipher, which was very risky and didn’t really work but I appreciated the effort, and it gets pretty close to working. My experience of ME3 now I feel like it misses the mark but I have more respect for it than I initially did, when I first played it I was kind of overwhelmed by the blockbuster framing, but there’s definitely a lot of risk taking and passion under the explosions. Which in a production of that scale, under that time frame, is still rare nowadays let alone back then

Prohass on
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Regarding Shadow Broker, it’s the reason I always bring Liara and Garrus to the mission in ME3

Sur’kesh

*Yahg breaks out*
    Shepard: There goes the next Shadow Broker.
    Garrus: I think I heard him mutter ‘T’soni’
    Liara: NOT FUNNY!

Muzzmuzz on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The thing with TIM is you need to assume he's gaslighting not just Shepard, but everyone he talks to. He presents Cerberus as whatever they'll accept, and whatever they wouldn't approve of is classified/secret/oh no they went rogue and started using unethical methods we only just found out I had no idea how disgusting but save the data anyway would you.
    He uses Miranda and her dad with the promise that he'll keep her hidden from him / help him find his wayward daughter, oh wherever could she be.
    He does everything possible to isolate Shepard from anyone from their old life, but gets thrown a curveball when they recruit Archangel, and it's too late to stop it by then.
    He even tells Kai Leng that he's Shepard's equal, which is probably the biggest whopper he ever tells.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Regarding Shadow Broker, it’s the reason I always bring Liara and Garrus to the mission in ME3

Sur’kesh

*Yahg breaks out*
    Shepard: There goes the next Shadow Broker.
    Garrus: I think I heard him mutter ‘T’soni’
    Liara: NOT FUNNY!

They don’t have nearly enough blue and red decisions in 3, but it nails incidental chatter and like characters doing different things around the ship, walking around, going on the citadel, that’s the kind of stuff I want them to go nuts on with 4

I forgot how dumb Noveria goes as quickly as it does and why my Broseph-Shepard run went so far off the rails so quickly.

Femshep did her best but wow did a lot of people either die or inexplicably disappear.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not too far into ME2 but the writing and characters are almost immediately more memorable. Part of that is they did all the hard work of setting up stuff in the first one so now the game can ease back and enjoy itself. You're not talking to your crewmates and saying TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SOCIETY so much.

edited June 2021
    Ok I’ve gone through the whole trilogy always choosing paragon and yet there was a moment in 3 I forgot about and I instinctively just through adrenaline hit the renegade interrupt button. I’m guessing people would know which moment but just in case Me3 spoilers
    I pressed the shoot udina renegade almost on instinct like I was pulling the trigger since it matched up with my actual gun trigger button. What happens if you don’t do that interupt? I’m assuming ash/kaiden kills him?

Still was kind of awesome to just get caught up in it like that and I’m definitely considering it canon

Prohass on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok I’ve gone through the whole trilogy always choosing paragon and yet there was a moment in 3 I forgot about and I instinctively just through adrenaline hit the renegade interrupt button. I’m guessing people would know which moment but just in case Me3 spoilers
    I pressed the shoot udina renegade almost on instinct like I was pulling the trigger since it matched up with my actual gun trigger button. What happens if you don’t do that interupt? I’m assuming ash/kaiden kills him?

Still was kind of awesome to just get caught up in it like that and I’m definitely considering it canon
    Yes, the Virmire survivor will shoot Udina if you don't.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I also forgot how annoying having to deal with ammo is and how much I miss the sniper rifle now that it's just not an option for a vanguard. I dunno if it's a net positive or a negative from losing the horrible inventory system of ME1.

Also annoying: having cool DLC armour but no option to lose the helmet. It was always dumb and remains dumb.

Bogart wrote: »
    I also forgot how annoying having to deal with ammo is and how much I miss the sniper rifle now that it's just not an option for a vanguard. I dunno if it's a net positive or a negative from losing the horrible inventory system of ME1.

Also annoying: having cool DLC armour but no option to lose the helmet. It was always dumb and remains dumb.

That's your punishment for playing a Vanguard instead of an Infiltrator which is superior in every single way because they trade a flashy yolo charge for a giant gun that makes all of the things dead from a very far way away combined with the ability to slow time.

And lets be clear.

I'm not saying Vanguards suck.

I'm just saying Vanguards are for people who suck because they don't play Infiltrators.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I would give almost anything to have Mess Sergeant Rupert Gardner aboard the Alliance SR2.

rll83qd6ctrn.jpg

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Before the developer responsible for Kai Leng touches a single other videogame, he needs to watch this video, filmed on Insanity, and then the bullshit plot armour cutscene immediately following, and give me 10,000 words on why what he did isn't acceptable.

https://streamable.com/h9yt2r

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It's not even Shepard-exclusive. ME3 enemy-type (including DLC) spoilers.

https://youtu.be/ZPbB4qfsA14

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    god that whole thessia fight has actually just tilted me off of ME3 SP for the night

i'm going to fire up some MP

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Before the developer responsible for Kai Leng touches a single other videogame, he needs to watch this video, filmed on Insanity, and then the bullshit plot armour cutscene immediately following, and give me 10,000 words on why what he did isn't acceptable.

https://streamable.com/h9yt2r

To be fair, Kai Leng is hardly the only example of enemies being made invincible because they want to tell a specific story.
    I feel the same way about invincible cars in GTA that have a speed of whatever speed you're doing at all times, because they want you to chase them to a specific point and have a shootout.

And I can see why they do that, because the common reaction is to just say make them mortal but super-tough, and if they're mortal, some gamers will take that challenge and kill them when they're not supposed to. Even if you're twenty levels below them and only doing chip damage, someone will do it.

Some games will tie beating them when you're not supposed to into a joke/bonus ending (DMC5, Chrono Trigger), but I can't see that fitting with ME's general design. It's not a 'multiple different endings' series, it's a 'one ending with different flavours' series.

Kai Leng doesn't need to be mortal but he does need to be super tough.

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Kai Leng's bullshit definitely will always rankle. it's actually worse if you're playing on lower difficulty, i play on normal the extra difficulty adds nothing to my enjoyment, save for maybe a challenge after i've done however many permutations on the shep and story aspects that i want. however on normal, with a vanguard with flare, with the power spec Cerberus literal fucking kai leng armor and a Mattock X with heavy barrel and stability mods, i turn banshees and atlases in a nutrient paste for the keepers with a glance, this motherfucker doesn't take more than a pip of damage after i hit him with a charge, nova, dark channel and flare.

that's fucking galling and kinda ruins narrative cohesion. the fuck does this asshole have that literally any of the other heavy/boss units don't have. of course sometimes Shep's war god powers can also deflate tension at other times. Nyreen is terrified of the Adjutants in Omega and well, like, while you were talking about how awful they were i killed six.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited June 2021
    I beat Kai Leng on this playthrough without taking a single hit. It is among the easiest Boss fights in the Mass Effect series, which makes the
    plot armor, Shepard's loss via cutscene, Kai Leng sending you private messages on the Normandy to boast about his victory, and everyone's shocked reaction to the mission failure and subsequent loss of Thessia, just so fucking egregiously bad.

I don't mind canonically losing a fight, so long as it's hard. Like, one of my favorite games is a Sega RPG called Phantasy Star IV, and the first time you go up against Zio (kind of the first act Big Bad), he's essentially invincible (you don't have the item you need to break his barrier yet) and he ends up literally killing a major party member. It is really well done. You go into the fight half-cocked, and you pay the price for it. This makes you realize how much stronger he is than other bosses you've faced. Makes you realize you need better gear, more levels, etc before you're ready to face him again to get revenge, etc.

The Kai Leng fight is nothing like that.

The Kai Leng fight is like, he shows up, acts like he's better than we are, but then gets blown the fuck up without ever landing a single hit on the hardest difficulty, and then a cutscene rolls and we lose. Shepard then mopes around for ages, while everyone reacts with such shock that we got beaten, and fucking Leng literally starts sending you messages to talk shit. It's so dumb and bad and poorly handled.

Also, the second Kai Leng fight is
    easy, too; just make sure Squadmate powers are off cooldown whenever he summons his adds. They'll arrive at his immediate flanks, and all you need to do is apply effects to both and detonate. For example, I brought along Liara and EDI for that mission: just Incinerate one and Singularity the other, then detonate with whatever you have (I used Throw). That'll literally wipe the adds instantly. When he summons the Phantoms, you just use Stasis instead of Singularity to lock them down.

milk ducks on
    Thessia:
    Would honestly have been better if they'd just skipped the fight. You're talking to the beacon VI, gunship decloaks and blows you up, Kai Leng grabs the VI and GTFO while you're climbing up.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Shadow Broker:
    "Remember the old days when you could just slap omni-gel on everything?"

"That security upgrade made a lot of people unhappy!"

edited June 2021
    I specifically don't give Garrus the Typhoon cause I don't like how fast he kills things. ME3 is already a lot easier on Insanity so never felt the need to make it that much easier.

Also Kai Leng never bothered me much cause I'm always beating him up.

Dragkonias on
    Garrus with a Krysae is pretty funny.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Well I decided to start over my ME2 insanity run with an infiltrator. As I mentioned in a longer post yesterday, the insanity run I began with an adept was extremely unfun. Like, I was beginning to hate the game unfun.

Infiltrator is much better and more proactive. There’s still a lot of hiding behind walls (I honestly have no earthly idea how you play a Vanguard on Insanity) but using a gun (generally always useful) as opposed to biotic powers constantly on cooldown and impotent against call kinds of protection, feels a lot better.

You can still really see the game stretching its seams. I get that people enjoy playing on this difficulty, and the challenge feels more manageable now, but boy. This very easily becomes an utter slog.

Oh well. Was hoping to try something different but I’ll keep shooting vorcha in the goddamned face.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.