As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

19091939596100

Posts

  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hmm...I guess my view of ME2 is slightly skewed cause I did like 11 runs(almost 2 with every class) on Insanity back in the day.

    But replaying it I do see how it could be rough and a bit rigid. It allowed very little margin of error at times while being wonky itself.

    Like I think ME3 is easier on Insanity but I also feels it's because it gives the player more freedom.

    ME2 didn't have as much wiggle room. Which could be fun if you like that sort of thing but I also could see it being frustrating if you don't.

    Dragkonias on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I kinda regret that I did my ME2 Insanity run on Vanguard. It wasn’t until the very end that I was able to whoosh-POW people effectively, and there are some sections where even in the end that wasn’t feasible due to the design of the levels. Infiltrator, on the other hand? That chews up Insanity and spits it out.


    If I was turning Mass Effect into a TV show, I’d have Shepard be an Infiltrator. I’d love to do fight scenes where she’s fighting people hand to hand and she keeps disappearing and reappearing, fighting totally dirty.

    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Getting staggered twice in a row in Mass Effect 2 is the most infuriating way to die, as you're stuck there unable to take any action for what feels like ages. The lack of a dodge move compared to ME3 also limits mobility.

    I only played ME2 on Insanity once back in the day, IIRC. Most of my playthroughs were a step lower on Hardcore difficulty. Similar experience but less frustrating and demanding.

  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Some of the classes have a rougher start on ME2 because they really need either particular skill levels or gear, or paticular squadmates to cover their weaknesses until you have those.

    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Some of the classes have a rougher start on ME2 because they really need either particular skill levels or gear, or paticular squadmates to cover their weaknesses until you have those.

    Yeah, that’s the great thing about Infiltrators. Their kind transcends your very understanding. They are each a nation - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of their existence.

    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Hell, I've been struggling on mass effect 1.

    Part of that is playing on the Xbox for the first time, so I have to learn the controls AND remember mass effect 1 gameplay. Gre...grenades? One power button only? Why can't I take down this thresher maw with my Mako machine gun OH RIGHT I HAVE A GIANT FUCK OFF CANNON.

    I'm thinking I might restart as something other than adept, one hotkeyed power just feels wrong. I only use two in M3MP (third is tech armor), but still. I'm spending 95% of combat just shooting my pistol, might as well spec for some guns and survivability.

  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Some of the classes have a rougher start on ME2 because they really need either particular skill levels or gear, or paticular squadmates to cover their weaknesses until you have those.

    Yeah, that’s the great thing about Infiltrators. Their kind transcends your very understanding. They are each a nation - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of their existence.

    Engineer is also a really easy start.

    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Sentinel, the class I’ve never played seems... underwhelming. I get some cool armour in ME2, but it just lacks the pizazz of the other classes.

  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Sentinel, the class I’ve never played seems... underwhelming. I get some cool armour in ME2, but it just lacks the pizazz of the other classes.

    Sentinel in ME2 with fully upgraded tech armor is a blast.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQNfUQ25_E

    The way they nerfed it in ME3 is a crime.

    Stabbity_Style.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Hell, I've been struggling on mass effect 1.

    Part of that is playing on the Xbox for the first time, so I have to learn the controls AND remember mass effect 1 gameplay. Gre...grenades? One power button only? Why can't I take down this thresher maw with my Mako machine gun OH RIGHT I HAVE A GIANT FUCK OFF CANNON.

    RB is the machine gun, RT is the giant fuck off cannon. (IIRC.)

    Jazz on
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Hell, I've been struggling on mass effect 1.

    Part of that is playing on the Xbox for the first time, so I have to learn the controls AND remember mass effect 1 gameplay. Gre...grenades? One power button only? Why can't I take down this thresher maw with my Mako machine gun OH RIGHT I HAVE A GIANT FUCK OFF CANNON.

    RB is the machine gun, RT is the giant fuck off cannon. (IIRC.)

    Ha, yeah I looked up the controls after 3 or so deaths, like wtf I'm veteran not insanity I can't touch this damn beast.

    OIC

    Then I had to learn how to drive and aim at the same time. It's been a ride but relearning everything, but getting there.

  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Sentinel, the class I’ve never played seems... underwhelming. I get some cool armour in ME2, but it just lacks the pizazz of the other classes.

    Sentinel in ME2 with fully upgraded tech armor is a blast.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQNfUQ25_E

    The way they nerfed it in ME3 is a crime.

    Yeah, it was real curious how Sentinel was taken behind the woodshed. "Oh, so they must be trying to balance it more carefully this game." Nah, most other classes became tremendously MORE powerful.

  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Sentinel, the class I’ve never played seems... underwhelming. I get some cool armour in ME2, but it just lacks the pizazz of the other classes.

    Sentinel in ME2 with fully upgraded tech armor is a blast.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQNfUQ25_E

    The way they nerfed it in ME3 is a crime.

    Yeah, it was real curious how Sentinel was taken behind the woodshed. "Oh, so they must be trying to balance it more carefully this game." Nah, most other classes became tremendously MORE powerful.

    I mostly ended up playing it as an off-brand Adept and just threw out tons of throws combo'd with Liara's singularities. I could also overload, though, which was nice, I guess.

    Stabbity_Style.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Shadow Broker, post-mission:
    ...with Liara as Shep's love interest still.

    "...Goddess, you were dead!"

    "I got better."

    That has to be an intentional nod to Monty Python. Even in the midst of a heartfelt scene.

    Jazz on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

    I thought that Sentinels were the second easiest class to do ME2 Insanity on back in the day.

    They’re a bit boring, but they can take a heck of a lot of punishment, and they have all the tools they need to handle any kind of enemy.

    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Triple Platinum, boys.

    "The One and Only" was the last achievement I needed to 100% ME3. It is fucking brutal on Insanity. Actually, the Armax Arena, just in general, is brutal on Insanity. Not because of the fights themselves, necessarily, but because it really highlights how awful the squadmate AI is; you have to constantly micromanage their positioning, or they get blown up, and half the time they just won't move appropriately.

    I brought Liara and EDI for the Spectre Mirror Match: Liara for Warp and EDI for Incinerate. Both have quick cooldowns, so I can really quickly Energy Drain one of the Clones' Shields away, then splash them immediately with Warp and Incinerate, then Throw to double-bomb. And that's usually a kill. Sounds easy, but it isn't lol.

    The good thing about the Mirror Match is that you're only doing it for completion, rather than points like the previous Arena matches, so you can turn off all of the negative modifiers and give yourself bonus damage. This also means that you'll have Ammo Crates again, so you can restore your Grenades each round. If you get an advantageous spawn (clustered up, hopefully that you have high ground against), you can just dump grenades in as soon as the wave spawns. Doesn't always work, but when it does, you're thankful for it.

    Anyway, 100% complete. Time to start again lol.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I also find it interesting that the Cerberus Spirit Armor you get for reaching 9,999 points is by far the best caster armor in the game (basically Inferno Armor with more bonuses), while the other options aren't anywhere close to beating what you can put together with individual pieces.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sentinel was my first paragon run, way back in the day.

  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Right now I'm working on a broshep Vanguard run, named Murphy.

    Then I'm going to do a femshep (my first!) Infiltrator run, also named Murphy.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I literally did not know Citadel even had an arena when I first played through it.

    I am just learning that now.

    Dragkonias on
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Oh god squad positioning. First actual battle after Eden Prime/citadel intro jazz, a visit to a very unique warehouse/base on a frozen planet that I definitely won't see reused 48292 times.

    Open door, step in, gang rushed by mobs, die. Ok, I says, well there's this convenient box on our side of the door, let's use that for cover for paper tissue kaiden, and uh, wrex you use one side of the doorway for cover and I'll use the other! Brilliant!

    Cue multiple failed attempts at positioning, staying in position, using powers, etc, as my squad, the enemies, and honestly myself as the player have a weird contest to see who can path around the most incompetently, least embarrassing one survives. Finally cleared it but hoo boy it was a tactical disasterclass for all parties.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I literally did not know Citadel even had an arena when I first played through it.

    I am just learning that now.

    It's part of the Citadel DLC, and only available (I believe) after you've completed it.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ah I see.

    I played Citadel after I beat ME3 and didn't really explore it much outside of its main storyline and sidequests.

  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The thing with TIM is you need to assume he's gaslighting not just Shepard, but everyone he talks to. He presents Cerberus as whatever they'll accept, and whatever they wouldn't approve of is classified/secret/oh no they went rogue and started using unethical methods we only just found out I had no idea how disgusting but save the data anyway would you.
    He uses Miranda and her dad with the promise that he'll keep her hidden from him / help him find his wayward daughter, oh wherever could she be.
    He does everything possible to isolate Shepard from anyone from their old life, but gets thrown a curveball when they recruit Archangel, and it's too late to stop it by then.
    He even tells Kai Leng that he's Shepard's equal, which is probably the biggest whopper he ever tells.

    Adding on to this:
    If you actually read his post-mission summaries, he's also salty about Shep recruiting Tali in a similar way, and salty about Liara, and you can basically see him being like "gdi maybe I should have let Miri put the damn mind control chip in :| "

    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Still lame that Vega gives you a different nickname based on gender choice. ‘Loco’ is perfectly gender neutral and works a lot better in dialogue. Just change it to ‘loca’

    Javen on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    So, apparently Richard Boisvert is a former Bioware developer, and just revealed an easter egg he put in ME3:
    10 years ago I put an easter egg in the mars mission of ME3, and as far as I know no one ever stumbled upon it.

    At the beginning of the mars mission, feel free to walk through the nearby solar panel array in the following way to see it:
    2yxphy4lix5f.png

    klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Anyone else fire up ME3 and look for it?

    It's kinda delightful :)

    Actual spoiler, don't click if you want to do it for yourself first:
    oqk27yurd6q2.jpg
    htacknym0j5v.jpg

    It rolls up to you and nods.

    Story on Kotaku, which includes an animated gif: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/06/mass-effect-3-easter-egg-revealed-after-nine-years/

    Jazz on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I literally did not know Citadel even had an arena when I first played through it.

    I am just learning that now.

    I don't remember it at all, was it a DLC?

    steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I literally did not know Citadel even had an arena when I first played through it.

    I am just learning that now.

    I don't remember it at all, was it a DLC?

    Citadel? Yeah, the last and biggest DLC for ME3.

  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I am not normally a Renegade person, even a little.

    But man. ME2 spoilers.
    Fuck Jacob's dad. Seriously. To hell with that guy.

    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Determined to 100% ME1.

    God there are a lot of side quests. Or maybe it just feels that way.

    I was already level 25 before I even set foot on Noveria.

    Benezia is such a ridiculous character.

    RT800 on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Determined to 100% ME1.

    God there are a lot of side quests. Or maybe it just feels that way.

    I was already level 25 before I even set foot on Noveria.

    Benezia is such a ridiculous character.

    I forgot how much scenery she chewed.

  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The magic brainwashing power of the Reapers has always been the dumbest part of Mass Effect.

  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I always felt like it was a Lovecraft reference.

    That said ME never really dabbles in mysticism so I could see how it feels out of place.

  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It worked better the first time you play ME1.

    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I don't mind indoctrination as a concept, but yeah, I agree that it was probably best utilized in ME1 and that they just kind of got lazy and hand-wavy with it in ME3. Honestly, just about everything involving the Reapers was better initially. Back when they were this vast, uncompromising, unknowable dread from beyond the reach of stars. Certainly, by the end of the series (and with regard to the Leviathan DLC in particular), when BioWare explained their origins and their purpose, the Reapers lost a lot of what made them so effective as antagonists to me.

    It's a lot like how Voyager ruined the Borg. Like the Reapers, they were super effective early on because you just knew nothing about them. It was terrifying body horror made manifest; an inexorable synthesis of flesh and machine, resistance is futile. But then they're recurring villains week-to-week, and they start to lose all of their mystery. They're given motivations, strengths and weaknesses, and our heroes triumph over them repeatedly.

    Just loses all the magic.

  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Triple Platinum, boys.

    "The One and Only" was the last achievement I needed to 100% ME3. It is fucking brutal on Insanity. Actually, the Armax Arena, just in general, is brutal on Insanity. Not because of the fights themselves, necessarily, but because it really highlights how awful the squadmate AI is; you have to constantly micromanage their positioning, or they get blown up, and half the time they just won't move appropriately.

    I brought Liara and EDI for the Spectre Mirror Match: Liara for Warp and EDI for Incinerate. Both have quick cooldowns, so I can really quickly Energy Drain one of the Clones' Shields away, then splash them immediately with Warp and Incinerate, then Throw to double-bomb. And that's usually a kill. Sounds easy, but it isn't lol.

    The good thing about the Mirror Match is that you're only doing it for completion, rather than points like the previous Arena matches, so you can turn off all of the negative modifiers and give yourself bonus damage. This also means that you'll have Ammo Crates again, so you can restore your Grenades each round. If you get an advantageous spawn (clustered up, hopefully that you have high ground against), you can just dump grenades in as soon as the wave spawns. Doesn't always work, but when it does, you're thankful for it.

    Anyway, 100% complete. Time to start again lol.

    I ended up creating a save there, going ahead to finish the game on Insanity for the trophies, then loading it back up and doing it on normal, lol.

    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone else fire up ME3 and look for it?

    It's kinda delightful :)

    Actual spoiler, don't click if you want to do it for yourself first:
    oqk27yurd6q2.jpg
    htacknym0j5v.jpg

    It rolls up to you and nods.

    Story on Kotaku, which includes an animated gif: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/06/mass-effect-3-easter-egg-revealed-after-nine-years/

    OH MY GOSH!
    A BABY ;-;

    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Triple Platinum, boys.

    "The One and Only" was the last achievement I needed to 100% ME3. It is fucking brutal on Insanity. Actually, the Armax Arena, just in general, is brutal on Insanity. Not because of the fights themselves, necessarily, but because it really highlights how awful the squadmate AI is; you have to constantly micromanage their positioning, or they get blown up, and half the time they just won't move appropriately.

    I brought Liara and EDI for the Spectre Mirror Match: Liara for Warp and EDI for Incinerate. Both have quick cooldowns, so I can really quickly Energy Drain one of the Clones' Shields away, then splash them immediately with Warp and Incinerate, then Throw to double-bomb. And that's usually a kill. Sounds easy, but it isn't lol.

    The good thing about the Mirror Match is that you're only doing it for completion, rather than points like the previous Arena matches, so you can turn off all of the negative modifiers and give yourself bonus damage. This also means that you'll have Ammo Crates again, so you can restore your Grenades each round. If you get an advantageous spawn (clustered up, hopefully that you have high ground against), you can just dump grenades in as soon as the wave spawns. Doesn't always work, but when it does, you're thankful for it.

    Anyway, 100% complete. Time to start again lol.

    I ended up creating a save there, going ahead to finish the game on Insanity for the trophies, then loading it back up and doing it on normal, lol.

    Dude it's fucking hard I don't blame you lol

    milk ducks on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Determined to 100% ME1.

    God there are a lot of side quests. Or maybe it just feels that way.

    I was already level 25 before I even set foot on Noveria.

    Benezia is such a ridiculous character.

    Finding ME1 a real slog to 100% on insanity. Got to the point when encounters are fine, it's just a lot of kinda boring stuff. The music on Noveria got me through it. It's so good.

    I never noticed ME1 Renegade shep was a complete dick before. I don't remember ME2 & ME3 being as bad but then I didn't remember ME1 being like this. If the only survivors of a disaster were a kid and her cat Renegade Shep would tell her to suck it up or he'll kill the cat. Man's an absolute roaster.

This discussion has been closed.