As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I always felt like it was a Lovecraft reference.

That said ME never really dabbles in mysticism so I could see how it feels out of place.

It gets pretty overt when you go to pick up the Reaper IFF.

Weird visions, people sharing the same memories, and it also throws out lines like 'Even a dead god can dream'

Even Reapers coming from 'dark space' is meant to evoke the whole 'eldritch creature living at the bottom of the darkest ocean'

ShadowhopeGoodKingJayIIINightslyrFencingsaxSorceGiantGeek2020Happy Little Machine
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    The whole indoctrination plot was fantastic and was probably the most chilling aspect of the Reapers. How long has this character been influenced? Are they influenced? Can anyone of these major or minor plot characters be trusted? What is really real about the ending? The visions and buildup to it in the last game was perfect.

NightslyrGroveBRIAN BLESSEDSynthesisGiantGeek2020Happy Little Machine
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That said ME never really dabbles in mysticism so I could see how it feels out of place.
    Except for the psychic powers.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Re: newly revealed easter egg
    cute rover companion that has somehow attained sentience in the new ME sequel or we riot
    listen T3-M4 and T7‑O1 are THE BEST companions in the Old Republic franchise, ergo Adorable Rover would also be The Best.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    BRIAN BLESSEDJazzGiantGeek2020
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I like Reaper indoctrination a lot as a plot danger, but don't like that it... staples wires and diodes and crap to your face when it goes on long enough. That's crazy, it should just be mental and husks are produced by an actual physical process (they already are! we see it happen more than once!).

• NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I like Reaper indoctrination a lot as a plot danger, but don't like that it... staples wires and diodes and crap to your face when it goes on long enough. That's crazy, it should just be mental and husks are produced by an actual physical process (they already are! we see it happen more than once!).

By the time you see those physical attributes to indoctrination it is too late and already obvious those characters are lost. The buildup and influence to plot important characters probably already began in Mass Effect 1. I won't go into spoiler territory. But a codex entry in ME3 does indicate the full harm of an indoctrinated and influential person in the most early stages of the influence.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What the hell is with the email at your private terminal in ME3? For the life of me I cannot figure out what order it puts it in after you’ve read it. I can never find recent emails it’s ridiculous, just put the most recent at the top. But as soon as you read them they seem to get instantly jumbled or gone

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Psychic powers? I think you'll find that's manipulating mass in order to make people obey. Nothing psychic about that, this is hard science fiction.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
    cB557SynthesisGiantGeek2020
    edited June 2021
    I wonder if for mass effect 4 they’ll do anything with (spoilers for ME3 ending dlc)
    The leviathans, they seemed like real dicks and would definitely try to take over the galaxy again if the reapers and the intelligence are gone, as they don’t seem like the type of entity that learns from their mistakes. My worry is they would be too similar a bad guy to the reapers tho. Hoping for something entirely new

Prohass on
    AistanBRIAN BLESSED
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I'm realizing i beat ME3 before any of the DLC came out as you guys are talking about Leviathans and fighting Arenas, and never went back. So i guess I'll get there at some point as in the LE, I'm still in ME1 sidequest land (Noveria and Feros dinner but no Virmire yet).

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I'm realizing i beat ME3 before any of the DLC came out as you guys are talking about Leviathans and fighting Arenas, and never went back. So i guess I'll get there at some point as in the LE, I'm still in ME1 sidequest land (Noveria and Feros dinner but no Virmire yet).

All the Dlc in Me3 is great and fits really well into the story in my opinion

SmrtnikJohnny Chopsocky[Expletive deleted]HappylilElfJazzmilk ducksSproutBRIAN BLESSEDTrajan45StrikorThegreatcowGoodKingJayIIIGroveGiantGeek2020Joolander
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »

Psychic powers? I think you'll find that's manipulating mass in order to make people obey. Nothing psychic about that, this is hard science fiction.

This was going to be my post a six hours ago and then I remembered EMBRACE ETERNITY.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

My only complaint is not gating Leviathan until after Samara's mission but that's a minor quibble because ME3MP had already killed the idea the Banshee pant-shitting moment.

JazzStabbity StyleProhassBRIAN BLESSEDStrikorGiantGeek2020Fencingsax
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

My only complaint is not gating Leviathan until after Samara's mission but that's a minor quibble because ME3MP had already killed the idea the Banshee pant-shitting moment.

When you can stand in front of two banshees, empty a Reegar clip into them to break both barriers and stagger them, then reload cancel and finish them both with a tactical cloak weapon damage boost window, they lose some of their horror.

HappylilElfStrikorGiantGeek2020Fencingsax
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    God, please let someone update this mod; https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/868
    Feature List
    • Kai Leng no longer talks for the entire game. All of his lines have been removed from the game.
    • Kai Leng now has a helmet that covers his entire face. No more wavy hair.
    • Kai Leng is no longer the one that takes down Shepard's car during the coup. A Phantom is now the one responsible.
    • Kai Leng is no longe present on Mars, during the scene when Shepard talks with the Illusive Man.
    • The scene with Kai Leng and the Illusive Man during the coup has been removed.
    • The terminal with information on Kai Leng at Cerberus Headquarters has been removed.
    • The fight with Kai Leng on Thessia has been removed.
    • The email that Shepard gets after Thessia is now actually from Thessia command instead of Kai Leng.

Dhalphir on
    danxMechMantisJazzHappylilElfmilk ducksMancingtomTrajan45StrikorshoeboxjeddySmrtnikCambiataCarpyThegreatcowAistanGroveGiantGeek2020FencingsaxApogeecB557CorsiniJoolanderHappy Little Machineenvoy1
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

This was going to be my post a six hours ago and then I remembered EMBRACE ETERNITY.
    Samara mission in ME3.
    Really wanted that to be the line Rila smokes the Banshees with in the end.

It would have been perfect.

sig.gif
    Prohassmilk ducksFencingsaxHappy Little MachineAlexandier
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I hope Mass Effect 4 starts with the Shepard inhaling bit from 3 only for Shepard to then get killed by Kai Leng. I will never not enjoy the nerd rage over Kai Leng.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

BRIAN BLESSEDcB557
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    As irritating as Kai Leng is, maybe I was slightly inured to him by being introduced to him in the books first.

Well, Retribution, at least (IIRC that's where he was introduced). I still have yet to tackle the dumpster fire that Deception supposedly is. (And thus the bit about him stealing Anderson's cereal went over my head for a while...)

I'd still recommend Revelation, Ascension and Retribution, though.

Jazz on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I hope Mass Effect 4 starts with the Shepard inhaling bit from 3 only for Shepard to then get killed by Kai Leng. I will never not enjoy the nerd rage over Kai Leng.

I don’t mind Kai Leng, mostly because the way his story ends is absolutely perfect.

He can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard, but. . .

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    electricitylikesmeBRIAN BLESSEDFencingsax
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

Yeah, I kind of just ignored biotics cause even in 1 it wasn't clear if they wanted it to be space magic or just mass effect fields.

Dragkonias on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Kai Leng had way too much plot armor to last as long as he did. When you're finally allowed to deal with him properly, it's really cathartic, but the joke ran a bit too long in the first place.

Also Kai Leng should have been Jacob, because then Shepard would have an actual connection to the character and knowledge of his abilities instead of a rando that can't back up anything he says.

sig.gif
    SmrtnikCorsiniHappylilElf
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Jacob doesn't really make sense cause he was never deep into Cerberus to begin with.

And tbh playing through ME3 again like I already thought the Leng stuff was a bit meme-y but yeah he is rarely a big enough factor to inspire the vitriol he does.

Like the first scene you meet him he loses a fight to a terminally ill Thane so yeah I really don't get it.

Dragkonias on
    ProhassArteenShadowhopeelectricitylikesmeGoodKingJayIIIGroveBRIAN BLESSEDGiantGeek2020Fencingsax
    edited June 2021
    Yeah playing ME3 again and my impression doesn’t really line up with the popular consensus on Leng. He’s just a standard bad guy henchmen standing in for the fact that you can’t directly fight TIM, most of the plot doesn’t really deal with him, he’s in the game for like 3 scenes, and only really survives a direct fight with you once. Like could he have been a better character? Maybe? But he hardly takes up any oxygen in the game. It’s like 25-30 hour game and he’s in it for like 10 minutes. He’s your standard henchmen character, he doesn’t really have plot armour, he just shows up for your usual 3 act chief henchman role (common to most action movies) ie; intro, stalemate battle, fight to the death.

And outside of like a few minor bits of dialogue the game doesn’t really hype him up to any crazy level. Like I don’t really get what the issue is? It feels like it’s entirely cos he’s a cyber ninja? Like if he was just a regular soldier in his design I don’t think he would have become a meme. Which is fine I guess, but mass effect is a big universe, it has room for cyber ninja assassins without breaking the settings cohesion

It would’ve been cool if it was someone more connected to Shepard, more of a thematic challenge, but that role kind of exists with TIM. So maybe it’s a missed opportunity but it’s not the glaring distraction that his reputation suggests.

Prohass on
    DragkoniasShadowhopeStabbity StyleArteenBRIAN BLESSED
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    99% of my beef with Leng is the Thessia fight, as it's so clearly unfair.
    And afterwards he trash talks you like "haha, i beat you lol", and I'm, no. The invincible gunship beat me, you just happened to be present.
    The story gives him a reputation that he fails to live up to, even after the event it describes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Strikormilk ducksAistanGiantGeek2020FencingsaxHappy Little Machine
    edited June 2021
    Jacob doesn't really make sense cause he was never deep into Cerberus to begin with.

And tbh playing through ME3 again like I already thought the Leng stuff was a bit meme-y but yeah he is rarely a big enough factor to inspire the vitriol he does.

Like the first scene you meet him he loses a fight to a terminally ill Thane so yeah I really don't get it.

He inspires vitriol precisely because of how ineffective and incompetent he is because the plot demands he still carries a major victory despite not doing even 1% of what would be required to make it a believable occurrence.

My Shepard has literally biotic charged up two levels of catwalks to send three eclipse mercs flying off it. Getting up from a collapsing building to where the ground is apparently stable enough for Leng to be badass-walking to get the thing he wants would be nothing.

The vitriol about Kai Leng is no different than the vitriol about any game where cutscene player power and ingame player power are vastly mismatched. It's just a particularly egregious example.

If a game wants to beat you in a cutscene, it needs to do so in a believable way. Nothing about the way Kai Leng does it is believable.

Dhalphir on
    klemmingshoeboxjeddyAistanFencingsaxApogeeHappylilElfHappy Little Machine
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I kinda want a game where one of your party members just straight up betrays you.

Like, you have all your Bro moments with Garrus throughout ME1 and 2.

But then in ME3 near the midpoint he's just like, "I never liked you Shepard. I've been working for the Reapers all along!"

Straight up knife in the back.

And then Garrus could be the Kai Leng, but it would be more interesting and dramatic.

SorceCorsini
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If a game wants to beat you in a cutscene, it needs to do so in a believable way. Nothing about the way Kai Leng does it is believable.
    That's part of the problem.
    It's like scenes where Link is being 'menaced' by three moblins so his allies can save him.
    Except it's worse, because it's not a cutscene. This enemy has just broken all the rules of the game to keep you from killing it and derailing the plot.

He has the cutscene power on the Citadel, if Thessia had just gone like that it wouldn't rankle so much.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I'm gonna have to redo the Thessia fight before I comment. Not there yet.

Cause If I remember correctly you were not only fighting Leng but a bunch of phantoms and...fighter planes. And even then you don't lose the actual fight.

Cause If I remember correctly you were not only fighting Leng but a bunch of phantoms and...fighter planes. And even then you don't lose the actual fight.

you remember incorrectly for sure.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    That's part of the problem.
    It's like scenes where Link is being 'menaced' by three moblins so his allies can save him.
    Except it's worse, because it's not a cutscene. This enemy has just broken all the rules of the game to keep you from killing it and derailing the plot.

He has the cutscene power on the Citadel, if Thessia had just gone like that it wouldn't rankle so much.

It's not really a thing with more complex linear games now, but Kai Leng between Thessia and the station fight could've been done like Deus Ex did a bunch of it's boss fights where you could optionally kill major characters way earlier and that was it.

That would've worked pretty well in context.

edited June 2021
    RT800 wrote: »
    I kinda want a game where one of your party members just straight up betrays you.

But then in ME3 near the midpoint he's just like, "I never liked you Shepard. I've been working for the Reapers all along!"

And then Garrus could be the Kai Leng, but it would be more interesting and dramatic.

People act like Jacob did this for not being open to date Shepard in 3. Something like you're describing would cause a massive gamer event. People would respond to Anthem patch notes by bringing up the scene and insisting that Bioware needs to be tried for crimes.

Also, the scene you're describing is so silly it's literally in a famous Mass Effect YouTube poop video (it's Liara, not Garrus).

shoeboxjeddy on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I know something like that would probably 'cause a shitstorm among fans.

But it'd have to be someone everyone likes or it else wouldn't feel like a betrayal.

I don't know how the community at large felt about Jacob, but I always thought he was kinda boring.

Like, if it turned out Jacob was a traitor I don't think I'd actually care all that much.

But Garrus... not Garrus. GARRUS YOU BASTARD HOW COULD YOU!?

RT800 on
    edited June 2021

Hmm...I youtubed it and there was definitely a fighter plane backing him up.

TBH, It really just wasn't a wellmade fight. He kind of just sponges up damage then blows a hole in the ground which you fall in.

But you did have a fighter plane actively shooting missiles at you so I don't think it that unbelievable

But it'd have to be someone everyone likes or it else wouldn't feel like a betrayal.

I don't know how the community at large felt about Jacob, but I always thought he was kinda boring.

Like, if it turned out Jacob was a traitor I don't think I'd actually care all that much.

TBH I always felt people chose Jacob just cause he was such an unpopular character therefore expendable.

I really don't think it would have improved it that much. But Garrus wouldn't make much sense either.

Heck only person I could see betraying you like that was maybe...Zaeed?

Dragkonias on

Of a sort that we've killed multiple times before. The only special ability this one had over those we've destroyed was a really bright light.

TBH, It really just wasn't a wellmade fight. He kind of just sponges up damage then blows a hole in the ground which you fall in.

But you did have a fighter plane actively shooting missiles at you so I don't think it that unbelievable

You kill that fighter at least twice in ME2, so making it magically invincible really seals in that the fight outcome in 3 is bologna.

The benefits of doing so: surprising and upsetting the audience.
    The downsides of doing so: tanking the story's logic, recalling that sending death threats and acting like they have a lifelong grudge are popular activities for upset gamers.

edited June 2021

Of a sort that we've killed multiple times before. The only special ability this one had over those we've destroyed was a really bright light.

I mean you cut out the part of my quote where I said it wasn't a well-made fight...

Either way, yeah the fight could have been done better I'll give you that.

Dragkonias on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

Sounds like you know exactly how the community at large feels about Jacob.

milk ducks on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Bonus: whatever gear you had equipped on him goes with him.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2021
    I will say the most amusing thing about Jacob is how Bioware managed to give him not 1 but 2 quests that are...problematic...for different reasons.

Dragkonias on
    milk ducksMancingtomSorceShadowhopeBRIAN BLESSEDFencingsaxStrikorHappy Little Machine
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    God, please let someone update this mod; https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/868
    Feature List
    • Kai Leng no longer talks for the entire game. All of his lines have been removed from the game.
    • Kai Leng now has a helmet that covers his entire face. No more wavy hair.
    • Kai Leng is no longer the one that takes down Shepard's car during the coup. A Phantom is now the one responsible.
    • Kai Leng is no longe present on Mars, during the scene when Shepard talks with the Illusive Man.
    • The scene with Kai Leng and the Illusive Man during the coup has been removed.
    • The terminal with information on Kai Leng at Cerberus Headquarters has been removed.
    • The fight with Kai Leng on Thessia has been removed.
    • The email that Shepard gets after Thessia is now actually from Thessia command instead of Kai Leng.

This is funny, but I'd much rather have a mod that makes him look like more of a clown. Give him more idiotic hair. Keep the email but have it signed XxXKai_LengXxX. etc.

SmrtnikLucid_SeraphFencingsaxHappy Little MachineTrajan45Alexandier
This discussion has been closed.