As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Vega is unironically one of my favorite squadmates in the Mass Effect series. He's a funny and charming character, who sticks up for himself and the things he believes in even when it causes friction with Shepard, who has great interactions and scenes on the Normandy, a useful selection of combat powers, and he's tanky enough to not get blown up on Insanity. The only negative that I can think of us that he just kind of appears out of nowhere at the beginning of ME3 and we're supposed to just go with it.

I was 100% prepared to hate him from the promo material but then he turned out be a great guy who was a total goof and it's like gdi they did it, they found the one way to make a Swole-Bro McBrosef character awesome.
    An early himbo, from the sounds of it.

He's not really a himbo though. He's not like ignorant or slow witted or anything (setting aside the comedy of telling him to disable the AA turrets on that one mission).

He's just doesn't do any of the the angry ego macho bullshit that muscle bro characters usually get written as. Even when he does do vaguely macho things it's always in a really lighthearted way. Like they just wrote him as a normal friendly person who just happens to spend a ton of time working out which was incredibly refreshing.

On an unrelated note I just played through the prologue of ME2 and if Jacob or Miranda ever say "Two years" again they're getting pushed out of a god damned airlock.

I don't know how I missed that before.

I guess probably because the first time I was still thinking "WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK!" until I started giving TIM the cold shoulder and on subsequent playthroughs I turned on subtitles and the prologue was just speedrunning through the convo trees.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So there's a guide somewhere for an every single possible war asset playthrough, right? Anyone know where I can find it?
    I kind of want to take that and do the exact opposite at every point; doing everything but making every wrong decision I can.
    I will call this screw-up Conrad Shepard, and I predict that his suicide mission will have significant casualties.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    StrikorApogee
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Got to Illium in my ME2 insanity playthrough and have recruited Tali. The Colossus fight was tricky but the collector particle beam is an excellent choice for heavy weapon here (along with two people throwing overloads).

Far more difficult was the N7 mission with 3 YMIR mechs The cover right in front of the starting point is terrible and doesn't protect you against rockets and by the time you've whittled down one a second has noticed and lumbered over. Took about ten tries and saved less than half the crates.

I was annoyed to find that Conrad thinks I treated him badly even though I sent him away with a smile in ME1. I even posed for a selfie with him!

The Archangel mission wasn't too bad, as it turned out. Leaving it till last and buying all the upgrades that were available helped, no doubt, as did taking Grunt and Zaeed. The one really annoying bit is the vorcha with a flamethrower just around the corner on the third shutter run. That was a nasty surprise.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Got to Illium in my ME2 insanity playthrough and have recruited Tali. The Colossus fight was tricky but the collector particle beam is an excellent choice for heavy weapon here (along with two people throwing overloads).

Far more difficult was the N7 mission with 3 YMIR mechs The cover right in front of the starting point is terrible and doesn't protect you against rockets and by the time you've whittled down one a second has noticed and lumbered over. Took about ten tries and saved less than half the crates.

I was annoyed to find that Conrad thinks I treated him badly even though I sent him away with a smile in ME1. I even posed for a selfie with him!

The Archangel mission wasn't too bad, as it turned out. Leaving it till last and buying all the upgrades that were available helped, no doubt, as did taking Grunt and Zaeed. The one really annoying bit is the vorcha with a flamethrower just around the corner on the third shutter run. That was a nasty surprise.

there's a little trick you can do on that mission - edge to the top of the ramp that leads down towards them. If the crate number appears you've gone too far. Use the Hydra missile launcher heavy weapon and fire just past the edge of the cliff. The missile will home in on a mech and aggro it. You can then use the shuttle as cover to fight it and the crate destruction won't start.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So there's a guide somewhere for an every single possible war asset playthrough, right? Anyone know where I can find it?
    I kind of want to take that and do the exact opposite at every point; doing everything but making every wrong decision I can.
    I will call this screw-up Conrad Shepard, and I predict that his suicide mission will have significant casualties.
    I can tell you right now that saving the Council in ME1 grants you less War Assets than ignoring them.

Also as far as the suicide mission
    Have the survivors be two of Thane, Legion, and Morinth. A handful of others can die in ME3, but those three happen no matter what. Actually.. I think the rest can all die in ME3 except for Garrus and Jacob.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    I can tell you right now that saving the Council in ME1 grants you less War Assets than ignoring them.

Have the survivors be two of Thane, Legion, and Morinth. A handful of others can die in ME3, but those three happen no matter what. Actually.. I think the rest can all die in ME3 except for Garrus and Jacob.
    If I save Thane, that means Kirrahe might get to live and bring the STG in. I've never actually had a run where both of them die before the coup, so I'm not sure what happens then. But I assume it means less assets, so we'll find out.
    Seriously, I think figuring out the exact worst way to do everything is harder than finding the best. Conrad Shepard's going to be prone to wild mood swings, saving species from genocide one mission, condemning them to it the next. Possibly the same species.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ME1 complete. Made it to almost level 29 Legendary, max Paragon Sentinel. Never got good armour to drop to cheated in a set for Ilos and the Citadel. Still an amazing finale
    C07UzRa.png

Bastion Sentinel is essentially unkillable unless the enemy can ignore shields/Barrier, and bosses are a joke since you can damage through Stasis.

Hellbore on
    MancingtomFencingsaxLucid_SeraphTrajan45

If I save Thane, that means Kirrahe might get to live and bring the STG in. I've never actually had a run where both of them die before the coup, so I'm not sure what happens then. But I assume it means less assets, so we'll find out.
    Seriously, I think figuring out the exact worst way to do everything is harder than finding the best. Conrad Shepard's going to be prone to wild mood swings, saving species from genocide one mission, condemning them to it the next. Possibly the same species.
    FailShep is the challenge that WinShep should have been.

sig.gif
    Still boggles my mind that they made it possible to get everyone killed and then die yourself in ME2, leaving Joker to hand in the mission report. I mean I guess it's much quicker to get that ending than the one where everyone survives because you're not doing any loyalty missions but still, impressive commitment to the notion of making the game your own story.

JazzStrikorMoridin889
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Is it even possible to hit max lvl 30 in a single playthrough? I've done everything I could think of and I'm only level 28 on Ilos.

Also fuck Krogans on Insanity. "What if we made them into such bullet sponges that when you finally get their HP down to zero, it immediately returns to 100% so you have to kill them twice?"

I don't think you can get to max level on ME1. I did literally everything and was over a hundred thousand XP away. That jump from 29 to 30 is huge.

I know in the original you had to do at least two playthroughs to hit max level, and even then you had to do practically everything twice.

Moridin889
    If I do a rush job of an NG+ run just to hit max level and then immediately import my character to ME2 from a half-finished ME1 NG+, will it import all the quests and decisions made from my original run, or just the NG+?

Like if I was straight Paragon in the first run, but Renegade for the NG+, which gets imported?

Pretty sure you'll have imports for both, but it saves when you finish the game, so if you do a rush job, that save will remember it.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Is it even possible to hit max lvl 30 in a single playthrough? I've done everything I could think of and I'm only level 28 on Ilos.

Also fuck Krogans on Insanity. "What if we made them into such bullet sponges that when you finally get their HP down to zero, it immediately returns to 100% so you have to kill them twice?"

Yeah it is if you do damn near everything but there was(is?) also a bug that leaves you stuck at lvl 29 anyway. I got hit by it and you only need 28 or 29 for max import anyway.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I did everything I could possibly do, including full clears of every pointless planet for every last damn hidden chunk of ore and crashed probe, and still ended at 29. I'm not convinced it's at all possible to hit 30 in one go.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    ArteenMarekStabbity StyleFencingsax
    I did everything I could possibly do, including full clears of every pointless planet for every last damn hidden chunk of ore and crashed probe, and still ended at 29. I'm not convinced it's at all possible to hit 30 in one go.

It's definitely not, unless you manage to find a glitch that gives you endless XP. There's a computer on Feros that I hacked multiple times to get the same sidequest and XP reward because it seemed to reset every time I left and came back to the camp but since you're over a hundred thousand XP short of level 30 even after doing everything you'd need to hack it over a thousand times.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I got a good laugh out of this.

https://youtu.be/ZPbB4qfsA14

NoneoftheabovedanxMarekOpposingFarceStabbity StyleFencingsaxJazzCorsiniHappylilElfDhalphir
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Re: levels in ME1 LE. You can't max them in multiple playthroughs, let alone 1. It's literally broken. You can get to 29 on legendary leveling (equivalent to 57 classic) or 59 on classic leveling.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Dragkonias
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Re: levels in ME1 LE. You can't max them in multiple playthroughs, let alone 1. It's literally broken. You can get to 29 on legendary leveling (equivalent to 57 classic) or 59 on classic leveling.

Yeah like I said I was monitoring my XP towards the end game. I got over the lvl 30 limit but it still didn't pop.

Went online to see its a bug.

I know in the original version you can hit 59 in one playthrough, because I managed it once, so I'm guessing 60 is possible. You'll just have to grind it out, probably.

sig.gif
    edited June 2021
    There are a ton of optional fights on planets you can take. Like unmarked quests.

I know I did most of those.

Dragkonias on
    Sorce
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I find it annoying that this hasn't been fixed in the re-release, with the possible excuse of "Well, we have a line of dialogue in ME3 acknowledging the bug, so now it's canon." No, fix the damn bug, even in the original ME2 the correct scene was still there. We end up needing a Mass Effect Legendary Unofficial Patch.

Synthesis on
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    There are a ton of optional fights on planets you can take. Like unmarked quests.

I know I did most of those.
    Yup, every single system has a place you can land and do stuff.

sig.gif
    I know in the original version you can hit 59 in one playthrough, because I managed it once, so I'm guessing 60 is possible. You'll just have to grind it out, probably.
    In OG ME1, I think the XP gap between the last two or three levels was absurdly inflated. It's been years, but I think I made it to the limit of 50 on my first run, to 57 with the NG+, and had to do it again to get those last few levels.

Arteen
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    While running and cycling the last few days, I’ve been thinking about the arc of Mass Effect, and I’ve decided it should have been at least four games. There should have been another game between ME2 and ME3. And hear me out, it would have involved Batarians.

My dream game:
    The premise starts similar to the start of ME3. Shepard has turned themselves in and is in Alliance custody. The Batarians are demanding that Shepard be handed over or they go to war. The Alliance weighs out its options, and hands Shepard over. A Paragon Shepard can be fatalistic about it, a Renegade Shepard can be pissed off, but either way they go. Shepard gets a brief show trial, is publicly executed, and the Batarians declare war on the Alliance. The other Council races don’t want to get involved.

Act I shows that Shepard was not executed, but is in a Batarian prison, where they’re being studied for some unknown reason. Shepard is rescued by Batarian resistance members. At this point, the game secretly determines one of is a traitor. Which one is a traitor is randomized with each play through; they’re working for Batarian intelligence against the rebels. Act one then has Shepard working from a Batarian rebel hub. We find that Batarian leadership is gathering all the slaves in the domain and shipping them to an unknown location. Also, Batarian leadership seems odd lately. Shepard makes contact with the Alliance, and Anderson and company basically say to keep tearing up the Batarians from the inside, while the fleets fight the Batarian fleets. One of the major sets of moral choices is to what extent does Shepard help refugees and free slaves and to what extent do they kill Batarian military. Of note: the paragon and renegade choices are often effectively flipped around Batarians. When Shepard tries to take a diplomatic line, it’s often seen as weakness, leading to a fight where Shepard needs to just kill everyone. Meanwhile, being aggressive and acting superior makes people back down and fall in line, allowing for peaceful resolutions.

Act one ends with Shepard discovering that there is a traitor, but not knowing who, and Liara briefly shows up save the day, to hand the Normandy back to Shepard, and to potentially have a booty call. Also, the Vermire survivor shows up, as a token of Alliance support, and they stick around to help Shepard. As act two progresses, we see things are going increasingly off the rails in Batarian space, even as they seem to be winning the war, thanks in part to their new technologies. Act two ends with Shepard sneaking around a shipyard with a super-dreadnought supposedly under construction, the traitor being revealed, and the dreadnought being revealed as the Leviathan of Dis (that is to say, a Reaper). It has effectively indoctrinated Batarian leadership, and is getting a head start on weakening the galaxy before the other Reapers arrive. Slaves are being processed in the same way that the Collectors processed people, and are being used to repair the Reaper. The Reaper lifts off, again operational, at the end of the mission.

In act three, Shepard gets word out that a Reaper is up and running. The traitor is upgraded with Reaper tech, and become the primary direct nemesis for the remainder of the game. Shepard plans out how to take out the Reaper: from the inside. They go after the traitor/nemesis to get a MacGuffin that allows Shepard to sneak onboard the Reaper. From there, Shepard fights their way to the Reaper’s core to try to take it out directly. You have the option of going alone or taking teammates. The “fighting inside a Reaper” thing gets trippy, as the Reaper is basically putting the full extent of their mind and reality warping powers directly on Shepard at point blank range. If you take teammates, they fall to indoctrination and you need to kill them along the way (high paragon/renegade can of course talk them to death). The Paragon ending has Shepard find a way to free the minds trapped within the will of the Reaper; the Renegade ending has Shepard snuff out those minds to cripple the Reaper.

Either way, with the destruction of the Reaper and the Batarian high command on board, the Alliance is able to swing the war around. Shepard goes back to the Alliance and basically immediately checks into psychiatric care, concerned about how she’s been potentially affected by indoctrination. Everyone waits for the Reapers to arrive in force, and everyone’s militaries are substantially ramped up due to concerns about the human/batarian war getting bigger.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    SmrtnikmrpakuApogeeFencingsaxJazzCorsiniJoolanderThegreatcow
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I find it annoying that this hasn't been fixed in the re-release, with the possible excuse of "Well, we have a line of dialogue in ME3 acknowledging the bug, so now it's canon." No, fix the damn bug, even in the original ME2 the correct scene was still there. We end up needing a Mass Effect Legendary Unofficial Patch.

This is why the edition is Legendary and not definitive. They did not do the work to make it definitive.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm already in trouble with this game. It's like 10pm last night and I really should get to bed for work, but maybe just one more planet to explore with the Mako (which doesn't suck as and as I remember), ooh look a mineral deposit, ooh a pirate stronghold...ah fuck it's midnight!

The non quest planets do seem smaller than I recall, doesn't take that long to do a perimeter lap to check for unmapped items. Then again maybe this is terrain dependant, and also, well, see above about losing two hours "just looking for one more thing"....

ShadowhopeFencingsax
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Oh man, I'm already in trouble with this game. It's like 10pm last night and I really should get to bed for work, but maybe just one more planet to explore with the Mako (which doesn't suck as and as I remember), ooh look a mineral deposit, ooh a pirate stronghold...ah fuck it's midnight!

The non quest planets do seem smaller than I recall, doesn't take that long to do a perimeter lap to check for unmapped items. Then again maybe this is terrain dependant, and also, well, see above about losing two hours "just looking for one more thing"....

This is why I use a map.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Smrtnik
    A save editor should be able to fix the flags as far as the interactions with Conrad in ME2.

sig.gif
    One thing I will say I really dislike about ME2/3 is there is no way to keep the radar constantly displayed.

I have to go to the power wheel a lot just to see where enemies are spawning and it really slows down the action.

GoodKingJayIII

This is why I use a map.

It's a weird balance for me between (re)exploring the game but also QOL and skipping things.

I played about 8 hours as an adept and listened to all the voice acting dialogue and explored a few planets. I ended up not liking the playstyle so I rerolled as an infiltrator and I spam skipped like every line I had already heard and went for the most efficient route on the planets I had done

So, like, I don't want to use a map the first go round, I WANT to discover which anomaly is the surprise thresher maw on each uncharted world.

Once.

But after that, yeah maps, quest guides, whatever, it's probably going to take me a few months to get through all 3 at my current rate.

Something about this version of ME1 chokes really bad around dead salarians on pc. Both killing Dr Saleon and killing that cage full of salarians on virmire dropped my framerate to under 30 until I unloaded the area. CPU and GPU utilization sitting under 10%.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Found a mod that allows any-alignment Shep to have glowing cyborg scars of doom: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/127

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    CorsiniThegreatcow
    Synthesis wrote: »

This was a very low effort remaster, they aren't fixing stuff like that.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

I remember when I first played Mass Effect 2, there were some Vorcha on Omega bitching about a "Captain Gavorn"

It never went anywhere I assume it was a quest that got dropped in development.

But in the Legendary Edition on Omega I finally found Captain Gavorn. I don't think he was ever there before?

You can speak to him, but it seems there's still no mission.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I remember when I first played Mass Effect 2, there were some Vorcha on Omega bitching about a "Captain Gavorn"

But in the Legendary Edition on Omega I finally found Captain Gavorn. I don't think he was ever there before?

He was always there.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    SproutFencingsaxJazzStrikorSorceJoolander
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Gavorn has always been in ME2. But as I recall there's unused dialog in the game files about killing Shisk, so yes they would seem to be remnants of a mission that was dropped, but at least it's a bit of extra world building.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

This is why I use a map.

It's a weird balance for me between (re)exploring the game but also QOL and skipping things.

I played about 8 hours as an adept and listened to all the voice acting dialogue and explored a few planets. I ended up not liking the playstyle so I rerolled as an infiltrator and I spam skipped like every line I had already heard and went for the most efficient route on the planets I had done

So, like, I don't want to use a map the first go round, I WANT to discover which anomaly is the surprise thresher maw on each uncharted world.

Once.

But after that, yeah maps, quest guides, whatever, it's probably going to take me a few months to get through all 3 at my current rate.

I would also have to agree with what you said earlier regarding it being terrain dependent. I've always loved bouncing around in the Mako. However, there are three planet maps in particular that I feel color someone's experience the most when it comes to uncharted planet terrain issues.
    Eletania, if you go for the Anomaly to use the Consort's trinket. Then the two uncharted planets that only unlock after you finish Feros.

Those three in particular are absolutely painful to navigate sometimes, even with the new forward boosters.

Marek on
    XBL: Jason Marek
    Yeah, there was definitely one already where I was trying to foursix-wheel up some mountains to get to...some objective, and I got so stuck and frustrated I had to exit back to the Normandy and relaunch and approach from a different direction.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Does anyone not let the guy know he’s working too hard?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.