As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So if ME4 is a direct sequel to 3, what do people think
    will be the canon ending? Or like how will they adjust the story to continue on? It would I assume be the Blue options since the Green option is too perfect. Unless it gets corrupted or ruined somehow.
    Red with waffling about how much damage was done to AI. This would be extremely easy to do, as Starkid is a psychopathic lying idiot, so nothing he says has to be taken at face value.

That was 100% my take.
    You're fuckin' lying because I'm about to end your ass. Please step aside while said ass ending takes place, you annoying nonsensical little shit.

I mean I guess but what reason does it have to lie?
    it could have killed Shepard at any point, or not raised the platform up. Unless it was programmed to have no choice, but then it would presumably also then not lie? My guess is they will go with you killed the reapers but all other Ai and tech is fine.

It lies to manipulate Shepard because every second you spend with a Reaper is a second it is trying to manipulate you. Leviathan explained the why of this (mind dominating race built the things to begin with). It is giving Shepard a choice because some part of its design requires it to monitor for such a situation as this to occur, it is so fundamental it can't be ignored. But subverted? Absolutely.

FencingsaxmanwiththemachinegunNightslyr
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    First off I'll say that I never played any of the DLC for 3, I only ever saw the original and extended ending. So I don't know how much they added or changed to the overall plot.
    My take on the ending is that we're supposed to take everything the Starkid says as gospel truth. And that in itself is the big problem with the ending. We're just supposed to believe it when it says all synthetic life will always rebel. ...Except I just went through an entire trilogy where I proved that hypothesis dead wrong. I brought peace to the Geth and Quarians. One of my most loyal party members is an AI. But nope all AI will kill meatbags, so make your ending choice. I mean at best the Refusal ending can be you saying "You're lying" at which point they just say "Ok just fucking die then no skin off our backs".

Like I said, maybe Leviathan tweaks it. But no, at the time everything the Starkid says is the truth, because that truth is the core on which all the endings are based on. Which again, is a pretty dumb core, but whatever.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    DragkoniasShadowhopecB557LockedOnTargetJoolanderNightslyrZilla360
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    There is really nothing that proves you shouldn't take everything as truth, everything around that is "speculation".

And I also agree on your other point, especially with the "green" ending.
    Having a special third option that basically just fuses everyone together was weird as fuck and was like whoever put that in hadn't been paying attention to the game they themselves had written.

Like for one it is only possible to get that option with a high readiness score. Which means you probably spent a decent amount of time getting people to put aside their differences and work today.

And that ending basically says "lol jk the only solution is to merge into a singular race."

Like I never pick that option just on principle.

Dragkonias on
    JoolanderNightslyrPreciousBodilyFluids
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    First off I'll say that I never played any of the DLC for 3, I only ever saw the original and extended ending. So I don't know how much they added or changed to the overall plot.
    My take on the ending is that we're supposed to take everything the Starkid says as gospel truth. And that in itself is the big problem with the ending. We're just supposed to believe it when it says all synthetic life will always rebel. ...Except I just went through an entire trilogy where I proved that hypothesis dead wrong. I brought peace to the Geth and Quarians. One of my most loyal party members is an AI. But nope all AI will kill meatbags, so make your ending choice. I mean at best the Refusal ending can be you saying "You're lying" at which point they just say "Ok just fucking die then no skin off our backs".

Like I said, maybe Leviathan tweaks it. But no, at the time everything the Starkid says is the truth, because that truth is the core on which all the endings are based on. Which again, is a pretty dumb core, but whatever.
    My take is that everything Starkid says it what it believes is the gospel truth, and there's a wide gap there.
    Once it hit on its solution, it limited things to the point that other outcomes were less likely to ever occur; guiding civilisations along paths it had predicted, and probably harvesting them early if they ever went off-script.
    The Reapers tried to start this harvest before the Geth were even created, and they and Starkid seem to be big on the sunk cost fallacy. Even if you make peace with synthetics, there's no guarantee that you won't create new synthetics that try to wipe you out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    BRIAN BLESSEDGiantGeek2020Trajan45NightslyrZilla360
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hmm I'm been looking through Andromeda and I actually liked the load out system and I hope they keep that.

Also, I really hat3 how male characters have that chin flab that's damn near impossible to get rid of.

Dragkonias on
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I almost won the Normandy in a tabletop RPG session, and that pains me. Granted, it was a small scale replica, but still a loss.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I forgot how difficult the collector ship on insanity was. Not just the platform fight but the praetorian as well. Ruddy hell.

ProhassStabbity Stylejdarksun
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Veteran difficulty is pretty easy. The mission where you rescue Liara is the first big test for me. Once you upgrade lvls and equipment and manage inventory, I can see Insanity or hardcore being the ideal difficulty for ME1. I'm just finishing up the end game areas and got all the resources and most of the side stuff. I did fudge the feros data collection mini quest. Could not for the life of me find it. As for Noveria
    I thought there was an option to leave the Rachni in containment and just walk away. Now it seems you can only free it or kill it. I couldn't live with myself with genocide on my hands, just because I couldn't stomache telepathic tentacle, zombie controlling bug critters. So I let the damn things live again on this playthrough. They better fight the Reapers for me in ME3..I don't remember the plot points exactly.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I've never bothered to do the Dr. Michel money farm before, but I figured, what the hell; why not do it this time around? You know what makes Insanity dramatically easier? Leaving the Citadel for the first time equipped head-to-toe with rank 7 Spectre Master Gear.

Stabbity StyleFencingsaxAbsoluteZero
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I forgot how paranoid ME2 makes me about finding stuff. Weapons, upgrades, money. I’m always afraid I missed something.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Stabbity StyleMancingtom
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Dang, blast from the past:

Way back in 2012 @Handgimp had a Mass Effect fanfic contest where the winner got a copy of ME3 for free

I won. This was my entry:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/359830

Note that I wrote this before basically any of us got to play ME3. Content warning for Reaper indoctrination. Shepard assumption is Femshep, Earthborn/Sole Survivor, rushed the Collector base without doing any Loyalty missions

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    NoneoftheabovecB557BRIAN BLESSEDFencingsaxJazzExtreaminatusjdarksunCorsiniNightslyrZilla360RMS OceanicThegreatcow
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I forgot how difficult the collector ship on insanity was. Not just the platform fight but the praetorian as well. Ruddy hell.

i forgot to bring warp or warp ammo for that mission, it was rough

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

ME2 is weird in that the collectors are by far the hardest enemies in that game and you only really encounter them in like, 4 or 5 main story missions. The rest of the game, you're fighting literally anybody else. ME1 had a pretty strong throughline of Saren's Geth and ME3 had a pretty good balance between Reaper enemies and Cerberus enemies.

Stabbity_Style.png
    shoeboxjeddy
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Way back in 2012 Handgimp had a Mass Effect fanfic contest where the winner got a copy of ME3 for free

Note that I wrote this before basically any of us got to play ME3. Content warning for Reaper indoctrination. Shepard assumption is Femshep, Earthborn/Sole Survivor, rushed the Collector base without doing any Loyalty missions

Handgimp, sadly, passed away some time ago. Good duder, miss him a bunch.

MalakaiusStabbity StyleFencingsaxTaramoorJazzExtreaminatusNightslyrZilla360
    Man after playing so much MP I forgot how easy ME3's SP feels even on Insanity.

StrikorFencingsaxmilk ducks
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

i forgot to bring warp or warp ammo for that mission, it was rough

I brought Thane/Miranda both heavy warp and took warp ammo as bonus. Then picked up ARs for the Mattock. On an engineer with heavy incinerate. Easiest mission ever.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Prohass
    edited June 2021
    This is my first time playing citadel dlc and man this opening combat sequence is annoying on insanity. You can’t really avoid the first guy finding you and you can’t take them out silently at all with the pistol on insanity despite what the prompt says.

I guess I’ve already done all the insanity achievements I might as well lower the difficulty to go for the kind of gameplay it’s suggesting. Cos I’ve continued on and there’s a lot of combat seemingly based around low ammo and stealth, which doesn’t work on insanity at all

Ok you get more ammo as you go, was trying to play it all stealthy but they see you way too easily and on insanity the whole stay silent doesn’t really work so I just went for headshots and front on combat

Also is it just me or do concussive shots not lock on to these enemies?

Also also Liara said “I like your outfit” to me, but I’m just wearing the regular outfit I always wear? What outfit is she referring to? Was the dlc supposed to change me into formal wear? Cos I’m in my same old military shirt garb

Prohass on
    milk ducks
    This is my first time playing citadel dlc and man this opening combat sequence is annoying on insanity. You can’t really avoid the first guy finding you and you can’t take them out silently at all with the pistol on insanity despite what the prompt says.

I guess I’ve already done all the insanity achievements I might as well lower the difficulty to go for the kind of gameplay it’s suggesting. Cos I’ve continued on and there’s a lot of combat seemingly based around low ammo and stealth, which doesn’t work on insanity at all

Ok you get more ammo as you go, was trying to play it all stealthy but they see you way too easily and on insanity the whole stay silent doesn’t really work so I just went for headshots and front on combat

Also also Liara said “I like your outfit” to me, but I’m just wearing the regular outfit I always wear? What outfit is she referring to? Was the dlc supposed to change me into formal wear? Cos I’m in my same old military shirt garb

The headshot damage multiplier on that pistol is insane, highest in the game by quite a margin.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »

The headshot damage multiplier on that pistol is insane, highest in the game by quite a margin.

I mean yeah it’s great in open combat, but I was totally unable to shoot anyone without it alerting everyone

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

ME2 is weird in that the collectors are by far the hardest enemies in that game and you only really encounter them in like, 4 or 5 main story missions. The rest of the game, you're fighting literally anybody else. ME1 had a pretty strong throughline of Saren's Geth and ME3 had a pretty good balance between Reaper enemies and Cerberus enemies.

I agree in part, but I think ME2's combat was more varied. Each of the four regular enemy types felt different—you use different tactics to fight Blood Pack than Eclipse, for example. Meanwhile in 3, it's just "Reapers? Biotics loadout" and "Cerberus? Tech loadout."

It could also come down to mission design. ME2's sidequests ran the gamut from "kill all enemies" to exploration to objective tagging. ME3's all boiled down to "this is a multiplayer map, do 2-3 loops while fighting off 3-5 waves of teleporting enemies."

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

But they give it to you at level 1 and you can't really slot mods into it (HIGHER AMMO) either, as I recall. So even if at some point it would be a valuable piece of your arsenal, it isn't when they give it to you and it doesn't fit the vast majority of builds. It also doesn't fit the situation, because you end up fighting snipers at extreme range and it doesn't have a scope of any kind.

edited June 2021
    Playing the citadel dlc for the first time and I’m hoping they keep one aspect for ME4, altho it wasn’t really in andromeda
    your whole crew going on missions for you in a support function if you don’t choose them for the strike team. I mean they’ve technically done it before with the suicide mission in 2, but it is kind of silly when you leave like 3 seasoned experts and fighters behind for literally no reason on most missions. It would be cool if each mission had like support positions you could assign, like tech support or fire support etc

It’s also cool seeing (new squadmate for dlc spoiler)
    a Krogan actually play like a Krogan with Wrex, running around charging dudes instead of spending all their time in cover

Prohass on
    HadesTrajan45Zilla360BRIAN BLESSEDJoolander
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I agree in part, but I think ME2's combat was more varied. Each of the four regular enemy types felt different—you use different tactics to fight Blood Pack than Eclipse, for example. Meanwhile in 3, it's just "Reapers? Biotics loadout" and "Cerberus? Tech loadout."

It could also come down to mission design. ME2's sidequests ran the gamut from "kill all enemies" to exploration to objective tagging. ME3's all boiled down to "this is a multiplayer map, do 2-3 loops while fighting off 3-5 waves of teleporting enemies."

Oh sure, I liked ME2's combat a lot. I was just pointing out how relatively underutilized the collectors are in that game (and also how hard they were, like damn).

That said, when you have tech armor, you don't really need to approach the Blood Pack or Eclipe any differently, lol.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Mancingtom
    edited June 2021
    Jesus Christ this last bit of the citadel dlc is hard, without Wrex to distract those shield guys I’d be fucked. Is there any trick to it cos I feel like both of them are just constantly regenerating ?

Ok fuck this I’m lowering the difficulty. This flight is duuuuuumb. I had the second person down and the main boss on 1 hp and he just respawns all his health and the second boss. Wtf are you supposed to do in this stupid fight

.,,fucks sake. It was just a survive timer wasn’t it!

I hate that shit

Prohass on
    milk ducks
    Jesus Christ this last bit of the citadel dlc is hard, without Wrex to distract those shield guys I’d be fucked. Is there any trick to it cos I feel like both of them are just constantly regenerating ?

Ok fuck this I’m lowering the difficulty. This flight is duuuuuumb. I had the second person down and the main boss on 1 hp and he just respawns all his health and the second boss. Wtf are you supposed to do in this stupid fight

I hate that shit

It's not survive timer really, you're running them through a set amount of medigel iirc.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Sorce

I hate that shit

As memory serves, there's a 'enemy medigel' counter on screen, so you're just working through their 'lives'.
    Design-wise, I have a bigger problem with the hold the line fight on Earth at the start, where I'm pretty sure you need to run out of ammo so someone can come to the rescue. Great narrative, but why would an adept need ammo when they have pull and warp? That fight took me ages.

ArteenJazz
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    yeah I forgot about that bit at the start of ME3 and was Novaguarding it all over the place. I realised something was up after killing about 40 cannibals.

JazzGiantGeek2020
    edited June 2021
    I completely missed any medi gel counter, tho I’m also a bit exhausted having played all the ME games in a row and this is kind of the end and while it’s awesome it was definitely testing my patience and that’s more my fault for playing when I’m clearly exhausted by it

Similarly this mirror match I’m playing on normal and it is kicking my ass more than anything on insanity ever did. The last round kills me every time and I just cannot beat it

And of course just beat it after posting this

Prohass on
    klemming wrote: »

I hate that shit

As memory serves, there's a 'enemy medigel' counter on screen, so you're just working through their 'lives'.
    Design-wise, I have a bigger problem with the hold the line fight on Earth at the start, where I'm pretty sure you need to run out of ammo so someone can come to the rescue. Great narrative, but why would an adept need ammo when they have pull and warp? That fight took me ages.

You don't actually need to run out of ammo, but if you don't it's a buttload of enemies to kill. I basically had the combo and set people fire achievements already done when that fight ended.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited June 2021
    This Altas hijack achievement eludes me literally because I can't keep them alive long enough.

Dragkonias on
    Just woke up. Here are some tips for those CAT6 Heavy units in Citadel: Area Reave can hit them through their shields, just like with Guardians; the shields themselves can be yanked away with Pull; Tech Powers (Overload, Energy Drain, etc) can destroy their shields because they're Tech-based, rather than physical shields like the ones Guardians carry.

If all else fails, flank them. Find a way to get them into a position between yourself and your allies, and they'll go down pretty quickly.

As I recall, one or two show up in that final Boss fight. My best advice for a Powers-based Class in that scenario is to simply ignore them and create explosive combos on the enemies nearest to them. Take them out as collateral damage, basically.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    This Altas hijack achievement eludes me literally because I can't keep them alive long enough.
    I think it's easier if you have some high fire rate, low damage sniper rifles?

Dragkonias wrote: »

IIRC with cover piercing mods you can hit the trooper inside through the glass. Can make it easier than trying to break the glass, which is butts to do depending on the gun used and whether you can keep your squadmates from damaging it too much.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

I'll try that.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Can't you get it when you hit the Academy?

sig.gif
    I ended up using that really high power pistol (executioner?) on the window after the shields were down. The real annoying part for me was I managed to do it multiple times, but it was either the only or last enemy and they automatically blow up if combat's over, so you gotta have other enemies running around when you do it.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Sorce wrote: »
    Can't you get it when you hit the Academy?

That one doesn't count. I think that section's just meant to show players that getting into mechs is a thing you can do. The achievement popped pretty easy for me, just strip the shields away and then unload into the cockpit until the glass breaks. If it matters, I had been using the default Predator pistol with an armor piercing mod.

Oh wait I've been saving them for last that might explain why they keep exploding

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mordin singing is still just so brilliant.

And his little cough afterwards is just perfect.

MarekTrajan45MancingtomZilla360GiantGeek2020GoodKingJayIIImilk ducksJoolander
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Damn Insanity isn't messing around. My infiltrator keeps running out of ammo in ME2.
    MechMantis wrote: »

Way back in 2012 Handgimp had a Mass Effect fanfic contest where the winner got a copy of ME3 for free

Handgimp, sadly, passed away some time ago. Good duder, miss him a bunch.

Damn, I didn't know that. :(

This discussion has been closed.