As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    kaceyp wrote: »
    My guess is they'll implement an origin generator like they did for Inquisition, ie. Dragon Age Keep
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they do a Keep-style import generator (whether for the next game or after that)

it needs to be called the Mass Effect Relay
    because it relays your choices, you see

It's the Mass Relay Effect.

Something something MRE something bad taste

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    kaceyp wrote: »
    My guess is they'll implement an origin generator like they did for Inquisition, ie. Dragon Age Keep
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they do a Keep-style import generator (whether for the next game or after that)

it needs to be called the Mass Effect Relay
    because it relays your choices, you see

It's the Mass Relay Effect.

Something something MRE something bad taste

Remember kids, the chicken and rice MRE is *not* a personal lubricant.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I mean, the stereotype isn't that black people want to start families. He intends to raise the child and marry her. I think this critique is... off.

Yeah, maybe, it's not 1:1 with the stuff you hear casually bandied about on Fox News, but it definitely struck me as on odd standout.

It's odd, but I don't think it's negative automatically. It reminds me of how Aveline falls in love with someone, but NOT Hawke. I think it's good to have a variety of squadmate situations, Jacob just wasn't done well in a number of ways.

I mean, it is a little off that the black squadmate is the one that treats Shepard like a side chick. Having the black dude as the one who can't/won't stay faithful is kind of messed up! Whether he wants to start a family with his main lady or not.

I guess his story was always that Shepard was majorly sexually harssing him in a way that I can only describe as disgusting, so I guess it makes sense that he wouldn't take Shepard seriously as a partner, but the whole situation was just... not thought out and could have used a black person in the writers room to read over a few things.

Between this and the hair options in ME:A, I'm not sure anyone at Bioware has ever met a Black person.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I mean, the stereotype isn't that black people want to start families. He intends to raise the child and marry her. I think this critique is... off.

Yeah, maybe, it's not 1:1 with the stuff you hear casually bandied about on Fox News, but it definitely struck me as on odd standout.

It's odd, but I don't think it's negative automatically. It reminds me of how Aveline falls in love with someone, but NOT Hawke. I think it's good to have a variety of squadmate situations, Jacob just wasn't done well in a number of ways.

I mean, it is a little off that the black squadmate is the one that treats Shepard like a side chick. Having the black dude as the one who can't/won't stay faithful is kind of messed up! Whether he wants to start a family with his main lady or not.

I guess his story was always that Shepard was majorly sexually harssing him in a way that I can only describe as disgusting, so I guess it makes sense that he wouldn't take Shepard seriously as a partner, but the whole situation was just... not thought out and could have used a black person in the writers room to read over a few things.

Between this and the hair options in ME:A, I'm not sure anyone at Bioware has ever met a Black person.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    BioWare is a Canadian video game developer based in Edmonton, Alberta.

Checks out.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If we're judging based off hair options no one in the AAA video game industry has met a black person.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    If we're judging based off hair options no one in the AAA video game industry has met a black person.

Cyberpunk is probably closest.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's a low bar.

As Ron Funches said on a recent episode of the Giant Beastcast, there are more pubic hair options than black hairstyles in Cyberpunk's character creator.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    In GTA5 the two white guys only get like, three hair selections and the black protagonist character gets like 12... except that 9 of them are different, ridiculous patterns buzzed into a fade, one is garbage-tier dreds and then you have two different sizes of afro.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

It's become the first thing I look for in a character creator. There's not a little disappointment when I can make a green space orc with an ultraviolet death mohawk, but not a Black guy.

Andromeda broke my heart when I discovered the Black hair options looked like stegosaurus scales cloned over a flat matte. Then the rest of character creation was somehow worse than the first game from 2007, and that was the first sign the game sucked.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm so fucking upset that the Lithograph that was up on the BioWare Store closed their preorders the day I get my new debit card in because the store no longer allows for Paypal for whatever fucking reason and would absolutely not accept my first normal-ass debit Mastercard through direct payment details

I was also going to buy other stuff but now I don't think I'll even bother. Google Pay fucking sucks ass. Why did they explicitly stop using Paypal

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Lmao oh god no...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm so fucking upset that the Lithograph that was up on the BioWare Store closed their preorders the day I get my new debit card in because the store no longer allows for Paypal for whatever fucking reason and would absolutely not accept my first normal-ass debit Mastercard through direct payment details

I was also going to buy other stuff but now I don't think I'll even bother. Google Pay fucking sucks ass. Why did they explicitly stop using Paypal

Once I get mine I'll look through the things I have to get framed/hung. It's possible I may have accidentally bought a second one with this run.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Appreciate it. In all honesty I'd already recently bought some sick poster artwork of other Mass Effect stuff so I might not even have space to hang it up, but I just was taken aback by how gorgeous the lithograph artwork was and how incredibly well-composed it was for a trilogy artpiece

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular

That's a low bar.

As Ron Funches said on a recent episode of the Giant Beastcast, there are more pubic hair options than black hairstyles in Cyberpunk's character creator.

I think sometimes it shows that Cyberpunk is made in Poland and not in the US. There are practically no blacks in Poland as far as a quick Google showed me. Since Cyberpunk portrays a US city, some of the places where it shines through that it is made by people with a non-US background become kind of obvious and it's easy to assume that it's done through malice or ignorance. I'd imagine that it's really hard - as someone living in Poland - to make a game that looks to someone in the US as if it were made there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh man, we're gonna get a Matriarch Peebee in this supposed ME5, aren't we?

That's gonna be hilarious.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That's a low bar.

I had read this review, which is more positive about them.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

A friend of mine ordered the litho for me for Christmas. They took the money from her card, and never shipped it. Eventually she got hold of them last week and had to cancel the order. And of course the thing is out of stock now.

I feel your pain. I hope they do another run of the non-limited version.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    @BRIAN BLESSED Had the email, it's in stock again, or shortly about to be, go go go!

Jazz on
  • Options
    @BRIAN BLESSED Had the email, it's in stock again, or shortly about to be, go go go!

I got the email at like 4AM and by the time I woke up it was out again. lmaooooooo

• Options
    Keep an eye on it, it's still got the pre-order logo on it.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the lithograph metalic? Not sure why I associate the 2. Or is it just a large poster basically?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    More a print than a poster.

• Options
    It is a *long* ass print though, almost a meter in width. I'd find some way to get it mounted for sure

• Options
    Yeah, 3' x 2'. It's kind of huge.

• Options
    Stolen from the SE++ video games thread.

So like, $80 bucks for a remaster? They better include every single piece of DLC released, from armor, to guns, story, and even Pinnacle Station.

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Stolen from the SE++ video games thread.

So like, $80 bucks for a remaster? They better include every single piece of DLC released, from armor, to guns, story, and even Pinnacle Station.

ME1 better look sexy as hell, because that's basically what I'd be buying this for. Hopefully nobody got the stupids and demanded that they shoehorn it onto Frostbite.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    There’s no way I’m touching the remaster until I’ve seen several reviews. I can already play all the games, so they need a much better investment than a shiny graphics upgrade.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If ME1 has been redone to use 2 and 3s combat Id be down for it. Also as mentioned the DLC should be there.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    There better be some substantial upgrades for 80 bucks.

Sure its 3 games but its 3 games I can get for like 5 to 10 bucks.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That's for the Region 3 release, could that possibly be in Australian dollars?

• Options
    Preorders were apparently being taken at $60 so I'm assuming its non-US price

Fun fact, I'm pretty sure March 12 was close to the release date for Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda

• Options
    Is the box art meant to be a placeholder? Because I don't remember Mordin, Miranda, and Thane being in Mass Effect 1.

• Options
    Is the box art meant to be a placeholder? Because I don't remember Mordin, Miranda, and Thane being in Mass Effect 1.

It's the trilogy, I thought.

• Options

Oh, right. Everyone here was only talking about ME1, so I misunderstood.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

ME1 is the big draw of the remaster for me at least. It's also the one they might well screw up the most.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

1 needs the most work.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    If this is just a visual upgrade going from ME1 to ME2 is probably gonna be jarring for folks playing for the first time

• Options
    qlmik1eay3eq.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Preorders were apparently being taken at $60 so I'm assuming its non-US price

Fun fact, I'm pretty sure March 12 was close to the release date for Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda
    ME3 was March 6th and Andromeda was March 21st, so yeah, BioWare likes March.

Though hopefully the remaster will be received better than the other two games that came out that month.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Looks like they reopened preorders for the lithograph, and thank god the new debit card I ordered from my other bank account specifically for this fucking purchase worked lmao

Fuck you CommBank

BRIAN BLESSED on
This discussion has been closed.