As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Polar Bear Punching [PUNISHER THREAD]

• Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    While MAX has never mentioned the superheroes, I don't think it's ever done anything that actually contradicts 616 continuity at all. I mean, he deals with completely different stuff than the capes do.

They're still two different universes. They're significantly different worlds, and while yes he deals with things superheroes never really do...at some point there would have been a meeting between him and Murdock when all that shit went down in Hell's Kitchen.

Not necessarily. Didn't the Punisher set the Hulk on him the last time they met in Ennis's run? I was under the impression that the superheroes just got the message to stay out of Frank's way.

natxcross on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    While yes, it was written by Ennis...I'll again remind you that was Marvel Knights imprint, not MAX imprint.

Edit: MK doesn't transition into MAX.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    natxcross wrote: »
    While MAX has never mentioned the superheroes, I don't think it's ever done anything that actually contradicts 616 continuity at all. I mean, he deals with completely different stuff than the capes do.

They're still two different universes. They're significantly different worlds, and while yes he deals with things superheroes never really do...at some point there would have been a meeting between him and Murdock when all that shit went down in Hell's Kitchen.

Not necessarily. Didn't the Punisher set the Hulk on him the last time they met in Ennis's run? I was under the impression that the superheroes just got the message to stay out of Frank's way.

I haven't read much Punisher or Daredevil at all so I'm painfully aware that I am very, very unqualified to comment but I have a hard time believing that Matt would stay out of anyone's way, even if they did sick the Hulk on him. Man without fear and all that.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I haven't read much Punisher or Daredevil at all so I'm painfully aware that I am very, very unqualified to comment but I have a hard time believing that Matt would stay out of anyone's way, even if they did sick the Hulk on him. Man without fear and all that.

Man without fear of everything except the Hulk.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Matt was in jail for a while, and more recently out of the country.

Punisher and Matt did meet in the Daredevil book as well, though Punisher was the one who approached Matt.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Which one?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Which one?

Typo.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think War Journal's pretty solid. Im curious to find out which direction Frank goes next. I'm guessing with the NA in hinding and the MA tracking down the NA there'll be alot of regular dudes thinking that they have free reign.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    While yes, it was written by Ennis...I'll again remind you that was Marvel Knights imprint, not MAX imprint.

Edit: MK doesn't transition into MAX.

Yeah, I know it was MK. But still, that's the beauty of the MAX run, really, isn't it? 616 or not, Frank basically gets the world to himself. The MAX Punisher still, to me, feels like the MK Punisher, he's just running into far more horrible things, and that's probably by design. (And I don't want to come across like I'm arguing for the sake of it - from what I can tell it can be viewed either way, because MAX doesn't refer to anything outside itself. The end of that MK story is, for me, why no capes get in Frank's way in MAX - his argument about them wasting their time because a) there are real bad guys out there and b) they won't kill him, just put him in prison with a bunch of criminals who he will kill is holding them off. Whether that reason is Marvel Canon or not, it's canon in my head, and that's good enough for me :P)

Of course, I'm having some trouble reconciling the Ennis Punisher with the New War Journal one, but there we go...

natxcross on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Man without fear of everything except the Hulk.

You know I vaguely recall a single panel "What If" story that was "What if Daredevil the man without fear could see!" The panel was him running away from a group of villains yelling "Oh my God! I'm not fighting them! They look scary!"

Yes I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but it was funny.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Yeah. There is no way that Molly has consistent strength levels. Any amount of force that can send Logan flying would rip through Frank's midsection body armor and all.
    Yeah, the writer for Runaways can't write Punisher worth shit.

I can't fathom how a popular writer could do this terrible.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You're complaining that Joss Whedon didn't write Punisher accurately? That being true to Punisher's weaknesses and killing him right there would have been preferable?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You're complaining that Joss Whedon didn't write Punisher accurately? That being true to Punisher's weaknesses and killing him right there would have been preferable?
    Yes, killing him then revealing that the guy wasn't the Punisher at all but just some look-a-like clone robot would be preferable to that travesty.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Joss Whedon hates guns. So of course he writes the Punisher as some dope.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I consider Punisher MAX to consistently be the best ongoing series. Garth Ennis is a god. <3

I mean, clearly I'm more of a DC guy, but I cannot get enough Punisher MAX.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    To begin, my favorite "origin" story of Frank's is the one for the MAX character.

Born.

Basically, it gives that character some distinction from the others. Either it's some sort of evil entity that gives him his war that never ends, or he's just batfuck insane. I'm going for the latter.
    Have you read the latest Moon Knight with the Punisher cameo?

It actually gives the Born evil-entity theory some credence, as the God of Vengence basically said that he would have taken Frank on, but Castle was already chosen by another.

And that he wears the emblem of the one he serves proudly on his chest.

But then again, Moon Knight is pretty batfuck insane himself so who knows.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Molly punching the shit out of Punisher is pretty much my favorite Punisher moment of all time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    To begin, my favorite "origin" story of Frank's is the one for the MAX character.

Born.

Basically, it gives that character some distinction from the others. Either it's some sort of evil entity that gives him his war that never ends, or he's just batfuck insane. I'm going for the latter.
    Have you read the latest Moon Knight with the Punisher cameo?

It actually gives the Born evil-entity theory some credence, as the God of Vengence basically said that he would have taken Frank on, but Castle was already chosen by another.

And that he wears the emblem of the one he serves proudly on his chest.

But then again, Moon Knight is pretty batfuck insane himself so who knows.

Moon Knight is pretty awesome.

The only issue I didn't like was one of the more recent ones where the new artist took over. The art was kind of awkward in a few places and the tooth-pulling scene was a bit much. I'm still surprised the book isn't MAX.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, killing him then revealing that the guy wasn't the Punisher at all but just some look-a-like clone robot would be preferable to that travesty.
    Punisher really doesn't deal with kids. His normal methods of shoot first, then throw some grenades wouldn't fly in that situation. When Molly punched Logan she knew how tough he was, because Wolverine's everywhere. I think that what that scene really shows is that she is controlling her powers more because she didn't immediately pass out. The whole situation was a grey area for him. He only deals in black and white.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Punisher really doesn't deal with kids. His normal methods of shoot first, then throw some grenades wouldn't fly in that situation. When Molly punched Logan she knew how tough he was, because Wolverine's everywhere. I think that what that scene really shows is that she is controlling her powers more because she didn't immediately pass out. The whole situation was a grey area for him. He only deals in black and white.
    When the Punisher was smirking like a smug idiot, holding his guns sidewayz with a bent wrist like a tru gansta, telling those kids they're thieves and they should fuck off and die for working with the Kingpin...

No, Joss Whedon didn't make it black and white at ALL. :roll:

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When the Punisher was smirking like a smug idiot, holding his guns sidewayz with a bent wrist like a tru gansta, telling those kids they're thieves and they should fuck off and die for working with the Kingpin...

Did that actually occur in the issue? If so, that's utterly retarded. "They put the sights on top for a reason", etc.

Edit: However, I feel the need to point out that the Punisher has a history of being portrayed as a gun-toting buffoon in books other than his own.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Did that actually occur in the issue? If so, that's utterly retarded. "They put the sights on top for a reason", etc.

Edit: However, I feel the need to point out that the Punisher has a history of being portrayed as a gun-toting buffoon in books other than his own.
    Punisher did indeed get painted as some goon with shit for brains. I guess that Whedon's writing skills doesn't extend to a character such as Punisher.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah, he was pretty much a gun-toting bafoon in Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #2.
    (In a related note, the Runaways are also in that issue...feasting on the carcass of their dino, Old Lace. A perfect portrayal of those punks)

But that's why I brought up Moon Knight. The Punisher was portrayed pretty well in that one, but their comics share similar subject matter.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    It's fair exchange, since superheroes are in turn painted as buffoons in Punisher's books as well.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's fair exchange, since superheroes are in turn painted as buffoons in Punisher's books as well.
    So you're saying that Spider-Man normally doesn't double as a body shield? :lol:

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    (In a related note, the Runaways are also in that issue...feasting on the carcass of their dino, Old Lace. A perfect portrayal of those punks)

But that's why I brought up Moon Knight. The Punisher was portrayed pretty well in that one, but their comics share similar subject matter.

The Runaways are about 100x more interesting character wise than Frank.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That, or he completely kicks their ass.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »

That, or he completely kicks their ass.
    To be fair, he was pretty pissed off that he had to fight some midgets.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    And that's really the only way you can put down Wolverine for a while.

Also, Garth Ennis hates him some Wolverine.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    V3V3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Punisher's Marvel Knights run is some of my favorite stuff although pretty cartoonish. Soap, Joan and the Superhero cameo's made the series. Wish Garth would make more. Was there more TPBs of Marvel Knights? I have 1 (Welcome back Frank) thru 5 (Streets of Laredo).

V3 on
    Henshin
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "I'm the Punisher.

I got out at night and I make the world sane."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    And that's really the only way you can put down Wolverine for a while.

Also, Garth Ennis hates him some Wolverine.

wolverine in that issue is so great. he's just a rambling crazy person. he meanders around sewers while talking to himself. he gets cracked in the balls like a fool. then some midgets cut his legs off.

edit- which are probably the best parts of his night

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    THE OL CANUCKLEHEAD

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Was that the one where Wolverine says someone's about to get their kicks on route snikty-snikt?

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm the best at what i do...but what i do isn't very slice

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    V3V3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Was that the one where Wolverine says someone's about to get their kicks on route snikty-snikt?

Yes indeed. Great line.

V3 on
    Henshin
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    i'm the best at what i do...but what i do isn't very slice

haha

Man Ennis really hates Wolverine.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    You know Ennis came up with that in a drunken haze and was all, "YES!"

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh man. Going to get a little obscure on your asses, and break out Double Shot #1 with a short story by Garth Ennis and Joe Quesada called Roots. It is easily one of the most unique stories I've seen, and it may be the most painful:
    DENTIST.gif
    DENTIST2.gif
    DENTIST3.gif

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Just picked up the Barracuda and Man of Stone tpbs. Barracuda was ok, but Man of Stone was fantastic.

Bogart on