As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Explore On] Etrian Odyssey - Sequel announced!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What I want to know is what kind of changes we can expect with the skills for the existing classes. There definitely need to be improvements made.

Edit - Oh, front post was updated with some stuffs.

Henroid on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    rattletrap wrote: »
    Oh man... there was a password in the first game right? So we can probably bring characters or items or whatever over to the sequel?

That means I should go back and try to finally get the last item for my codex. But that means fighting the fire dragon who knows how many more times before it drops. I think I was up to 40 or something before I just gave up <shudder>

After spending 20+ hours beating the frost drake, I eventually went back to try and get another shinryu sword. I did all three on one run. I was soo happy.

I hate you so much.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man... there was a password in the first game right? So we can probably bring characters or items or whatever over to the sequel?

That means I should go back and try to finally get the last item for my codex. But that means fighting the fire dragon who knows how many more times before it drops. I think I was up to 40 or something before I just gave up <shudder>

After spending 20+ hours beating the frost drake, I eventually went back to try and get another shinryu sword. I did all three on one run. I was soo happy.

I hate you so much.

I actually have three now, I got another one when people where asking me for advice on how to kill the dragons, so I ran through my beating the shit out of them plan.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I actually have three now, I got another one when people where asking me for advice on how to kill the dragons, so I ran through my beating the shit out of them plan.

I have no trouble killing the dragons. One might even say I'm an expert at it. I just can't get the red one's rare drop, and it stopped being fun to try a long time ago.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I have no trouble killing the dragons. One might even say I'm an expert at it. I just can't get the red one's rare drop, and it stopped being fun to try a long time ago.

Red dragon took me about 30 kills to get it. The drake took around 100, the dragon, 2. Then I went back, got extremely lucky, and did all three in one go. Then later I went back and did them all again in around 5 tries.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the fact that the Drake is very far away from a savepoint.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Red dragon took me about 30 kills to get it. The drake took around 100, the dragon, 2. Then I went back, got extremely lucky, and did all three in one go. Then later I went back and did them all again in around 5 tries.

I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Depending on how decent my tips are this weekend, I may pick up the black and red DS Lite and this game. Between this, FFT, and Jeanne D'Arc my time is monopolized. If I loved playing Wizardry and hand mapping dungeons in the early 80s, I'll love this, right?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Impressified. Around ten tries the first time then three times a day for ONE month. I very nearly gave up on the game at that point. Then I killed the drake with a 666 hit, and I knew I'd get the rare drop, and I did.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    Depending on how decent my tips are this weekend, I may pick up the black and red DS Lite and this game. Between this, FFT, and Jeanne D'Arc my time is monopolized. If I loved playing Wizardry and hand mapping dungeons in the early 80s, I'll love this, right?

Your PSP's about to get neglected.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Sheesh. I'm jealous of both sides of the fence. Anyhow, you should love it. It's like, maps! and monsters! and more monsters! and squares to map!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I had to order this off of Amazon from some weird little store in God knows where. What's up with neither EB Games or Gamestop even having a listing for it? Ugh, this means I'm buying a DS Lite when I pick up FF Tactics on Tuesday.

Esh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1210951_1407.html
    A few more images from the sequel, and (moon language) bios of the new classes.

876_2.jpg

Maybe I actually will finish EO1 by the time FFT PSP comes out; I made it to 25.
    I didn't think the elevators would actually give me shortcuts; that's a huge relief.

By finish I mean the game proper. I can safely hold off on the post-game for a while.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, it's the plant monster again. I hope they're stronger in the sequel. They're a joke in the first game.

Henroid on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I return from a week afk to find this excellent news. This is definitely a game worthy of a sequel. It is too early to hope for confirmation of a US release I take it?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We can probably expect a US release. It's Atlus, after all.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just so you guys know, original game broke 30K in NA.

It broke 100K in Japan.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pureauthor wrote: »

It broke 100K in Japan.

Is that 30/100K units sold (I hope)?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pureauthor wrote: »

It broke 100K in Japan.

This surprises me in no way whatsoever. For reference, 1up's article comparing NA game tastes to Japanese game tastes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Made it to the (B25) final boss.

Got slaughtered. Much levelling needs to be done.

People who say this game has no story don't give it enough credit.

And 30k is quite impressive for such a niche game, if you think about it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The game has story, but it isn't exactly presented constantly. I thought it was neat, though it was quite easy to predict what the hell was going on at a certain point. I still liked it. I still thought, "Wow, so THATS what's going on" when I stumbled into it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Made it to the (B25) final boss.

Got slaughtered. Much levelling needs to be done.

People who say this game has no story don't give it enough credit.

And 30k is quite impressive for such a niche game, if you think about it.
    I can definitely see Atlus being pleased with 30k on the American side.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I bought my Crimson/Black DS today and Etrian Odyssey should be in the mail soon. Any hints and/or tips for someone starting out?

Esh on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I bought my Crimson/Black DS today and Etrian Odyssey should be in the mail soon. Any hints and/or tips for someone starting out?
    1) Bring lube.

2) FOEs are death in glowing ball form. Do not try to fight the FOEs on a given floor until you've gained at least a couple levels from when you first saw them, or they will almost universally eradicate you.

3) Troubadors can be very nice, but their abilities are all % based so unless you're feeling masochistic, don't try to make one part of your main party until later in the game (when their ability to regenerate TP can be invaluable).

4) You medic can be a capable frontline fighter. This can be very helpful, since the class is pretty much mandatory the entire game.

5) A mining party will keep you in the dough from about the middle of the second strata on, and I highly recommend having a few low-level Survivalists with their harvesting skills maxed out (and maybe give one Stalker as well).

6) Choose to specialize in Swords for your Landsharks. The axe attacks only damage one enemy but don't have a much bigger damage boost than the multi-hit sword attacks AND lack the elemental damage skills including the lightning which can be VERY useful against specific enemies late in the game.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The elemental sword skills go like this - You need an alchemist in the group, and they have to cast an elemental spell. When that spell goes off, the Landshark uses their elemental attack. Neat 1-2 punch kind of way to fight.

I would say the "must-haves" for a party are the Protector, Medic, and Alchemist. The other two party members you bring can be whatever, but Troubadors make things difficult if you start with them.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well I started my "I hate this game" thread w/o knowing of this one's existance HERE :P

TechieZero on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, but we don't hate the game here. We give ourselves to it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Argh, I lost my last stylus, now I can't really proceed into BF22. I'm almost done!
    This game hasn't been too difficult so far, but I've been keeping my level about 10X the stratum number. So when I was on the last floor of the 1st stratum I was level 20. My team's around 55 right now, and it's been going well.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I mapped out 90% of the game with my finger, so man up.

Also, the final boss is a chump.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried that, but it was slow as molasses. I'm thinking I'll just purchase a DS Lite. Maybe.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They shouldve printed a bit more. Its no longer sold at the Atlus store or any online outlets. Theres not even a listing for it at Gamestop's website, so you cant do an in-store search. Street Price seems to be matching or exceeding retail now.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They shouldve printed a bit more. Its no longer sold at the Atlus store or any online outlets. Theres not even a listing for it at Gamestop's website, so you cant do an in-store search. Street Price seems to be matching or exceeding retail now.

So I'm sitting on a gold mine? >:3

Henroid on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    The elemental sword skills go like this - You need an alchemist in the group, and they have to cast an elemental spell. When that spell goes off, the Landshark uses their elemental attack. Neat 1-2 punch kind of way to fight.

I would say the "must-haves" for a party are the Protector, Medic, and Alchemist. The other two party members you bring can be whatever, but Troubadors make things difficult if you start with them.

Do the Ronin elemental attacks trigger the sword skills as well? Then again, who would use a Ronin and a Landshark in the same party?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Do the Ronin elemental attacks trigger the sword skills as well? Then again, who would use a Ronin and a Landshark in the same party?

This is why I don't know. :P

I'm going to guess a no. I might be the oddball here, but I didn't like the Ronin very much. I prefer my team of Protector, Landshark (that name is great), Dark Hunter, Alchemist, and Medic.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ronins suck, the end. Yes, they can do the most damage in the game with the right build and the Primevil Katana, but they die faster than a combat medic or a revenge Hexer.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't had much difficulty in this game till I "beat it". My party to the 25th stratum was L, P, DH, A, and T. Worked out really well. FOE's can't do shit when they are bound. Now post game, I dropped the Alchemist for a Hexer. Using revenge+item that gives 100 hp extra (town badge?)+maxed stamina song fucks up everyone. My DH also benefits from stamina with maxed out fury.

That said, the final floors with the birds are crazy. I also find it amusing that my Dark Hunter is faster than everything except W Plasma attack. Atlus must have programmed that attack to go first regardless of stats. D:

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To answer the Ronin/Landshark question. I ran both at one point, and YES the elemental ronin skills DO trigger landshark's finishes. As does the Shock/Flame/Frost spells from a troubadour.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah but Alchemists are the best for it because if you do one of the target-all spells it triggers the magic blade attack on every enemy that survives.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But alchemists are dumb.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YOU'RE dumb!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Er, any advice for the 25 boss? It's not impossible or anything, but my party still needs a lot of work.

51s for the record; back row at 41.

I reset my Medic and Alchemist to better balance their skills(still didn't do much good for either, I think), and I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with my Hexer.

Does Sapping stack? Because it seems like it does, if only twice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png