Options

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it is flatly pro-torture as well

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Netflix has canceled The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance after one season.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well shit.

I was really looking forward to another season of that..

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    That was easily the best show netflix did last year.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I feel like it didn’t quite work and didn’t really grab me, but it was still easily amongst the best stuff Netflix made, and actually was unique. So that’s a bummer. I guess Netflix can put more money into garbage comic book style action movies with no scripts.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is the first show I can think of that won an Emmy and got cancelled all in the same weekend

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    I feel like it didn’t quite work and didn’t really grab me, but it was still easily amongst the best stuff Netflix made, and actually was unique. So that’s a bummer. I guess Netflix can put more money into garbage comic book style action movies with no scripts.

It felt braver and more experimental than 90% of new TV, especially in the context of a kid-friendly production. Also while still flawed, I felt it enriched (rather than diminished) the original movie, which is rare for a 'fill in the backstory' post-hoc prequel. Managed to be slightly more politically sophisticated, at least.

I almost liked it more for being a bit creaky? Something about authenticity, the way it was obviously made by people who really loved the property, vs. an overproduced nostalgia-based cash grab.

tynic on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I am fervently against anything that means less dope puppets

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Legitimately don't know how we got to a place where people think torture works

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    This is the first show I can think of that won an Emmy and got cancelled all in the same weekend

I think the majority are cancelled before the Emmy's, so they win them for already cancelled shows, right?

My google skills aren't good enough to get a good list, but https://www.tvguide.com/news/emmy-winners-canceled-shows/ lists quite a few.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Movies and television.

And some videogames.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    okay it's not, like, the best show and i am not completely bought in, but i have started watching bates motel and it is giving me all the drama i could ever ask for

vera farmiga is a dynamo

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Vera Farmiga is a god damned powerhouse in everything she’s in.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    kickstarter so i can buy quibi

You dont have 50 dollars?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    why should i spend my own money when i can take it from rubes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Movies and television.

And some videogames.

I at least read a comic recently where a villain was using torture and one of their underlings stated "torture doesn't actually work, though, right?" as if that was common knowledge. The villain did admittedly respond with "that's because most people don't know how to do it right", but I don't recall if they actually got the right information or not from their victim.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

gotta do the quibi name proud, after all

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't watch much tv, but I quite enjoy the uber eats commercial with Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’m SO friggin’ frustrated by The Dark Crystal being cancelled

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Movies and television.

And some videogames.

I'll also maybe say that there's a certain base logic to the notion that you can hurt someone to force complicity, and the fact that this doesn't actually work out in real life isn't really intuitive, which is why when there's any pushback on torture in media it's from the moral angle ("we shouldn't torture because it's unethical to inflict pain for the sake of convenience") and not the practical one

Shorty on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I don't watch much tv, but I quite enjoy the uber eats commercial with Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart

I know the kind of evil that Uber is ain’t exactly the worst thing that capitalism has brought us but it does still stick in my craw that they did an ad for those trash goblins.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    torture has been used since pre-classical times

shit is ingrained in the collective human psyche, and we're only recently (literally in the last 20 years) have verifiable scientific collaboration that it is not effective

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

gotta do the quibi name proud, after all

What are the kickstarter goal rewards to entice me, a rube?

The quibi pro quo?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The most I know about Cougar Town is that it crossed over with Community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifv_Uqjf3d8

Wait, I've never seen an episode of Cougartown, is that Subway product placement really in an actual episode that aired?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Chuck was saved by Subway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, Chuck was saved by Subway.

uh, yes

"saved"

(I was broadly unhappy with seasons 3+. A few, scattered, good episodes; but then they ended there?)

Tamin on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Torture is very effective at getting information.

It’s just usually completely inaccurate information that the tortured individual is telling you to get you to stop torturing them.

• Options
    Time for Lovecraft Country...

Last chance, show!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i watched like 33 episodes of steven universe yesterday, which means i'm still in the first season because it's 500 episodes long

the theme song will never leave my head and i'm fine with that

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Torture is very effective at getting information.

It’s just usually completely inaccurate information that the tortured individual is telling you to get you to stop torturing them.

I would presume torture would be effective at getting information you could test immediately and where there's an obvious difference between right and wrong.

Example: What is this locker combination?

However, that's not what people are actually tortured for. It's more intricate stuff, like what is the organization chart of your group and what are their locations? In that case, lying is almost guaranteed and the longer the torture continues, the more likely their info is out of date anyway.

This entire thing ignores how clearly evil torture is just as a concept. And that should never be ignored.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    This entire thing ignores how clearly evil torture is just as a concept. And that should never be ignored.

Indeed. If torture ended with 100% reliable detailed important information every single time, we still shouldn't do it ever.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzyk0os-QQ
    I wish I was as locked into anything as Giancarlo Esposito is in this featurette about appearing on Ducktales

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    God, Michael is the woooooooorst

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i watched like 33 episodes of steven universe yesterday, which means i'm still in the first season because it's 500 episodes long

the theme song will never leave my head and i'm fine with that

The only thing better than the theme song is the long version of the theme song

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I really, really was not expecting an episode of Lovecraft Country to be like over 90% an homage to the Goonies.

• Options
    I really, really was not expecting an episode of Lovecraft Country to be like over 90% an homage to the Goonies.

And also like Goonies it has many problematic elements!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Aw man

You mean the Goonies

aren’t good enough

EDIT: This was supposed to be a Cyndi Lauper joke.

Linespider5 on
  • Options

Aw man

You mean the Goonies

aren’t good enough

It’s a movie from the 80’s so...you know.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Aw man

You mean the Goonies

aren’t good enough

It’s a movie from the 80’s so...you know.

yeah, Peanut Butter Twix was around in the 80s so there's really no excuse for a baby ruth

This discussion has been closed.