As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets stop locking threads that are done

KeromeKerome Registered User
That way if someone has the same question or follow up questions they can go back and contribute something instead of having multiple threads on the same thing. iPods for instance.

Also its incredibly tacky to have some mod not even involved in the discussion to arbitrarily decide that the thread is over. Especially if it was staying on topic. Threads will die if there is no more apparent reason for their existance, thats the point and nature of a forum. If someone still has something to say, it wont die. Marvelous, eh?

Max Evans & Liz Parker
nrev3ey.jpg
Kerome on

Posts

  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    LOCK'D!



    JAIL'D!

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I especially agree for topics in the H/A forum.

    But have you PM'd any of the mods that you seen doing this out of curiousity?

    KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I agree. Though I haven't seen it a lot lately.

    Dioretsa on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    KungFu wrote:
    I especially agree for topics in the H/A forum.

    But have you PM'd any of the mods that you seen doing this out of curiousity?

    It's infinitely more useful to have multiple small threads than a handful of large threads for related topics in H/A.

    Searches actually retrieve useful results, rather than 4 pages of hits from one thread right off the start, and this way when one thread dies of auto-prune, you haven't lost 8 different questions and answers, you've lost two or three.

    Add to that the fact that after the first answer is provided, you can expect a page of off topic banter before a new one is asked, at least. This is retarded because as stated, it lowers the efficacy of the search utility, and further, it provides stupid people with opportunities to get themselves jailed.

    No. The topic locking in H/A makes sense, and the same reasoning extends here as well. There are discussion forums and information forums. H/A and the MD are not discussion forums.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    LOCK'D!



    JAIL'D!

    Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    ive seen it happen just recently in GT, it can be annoying. things are clamped on before their full potential is realised.

    if its over... it will die its own death.

    Deusfaux on
  • ToastToast Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Personally as a moderator I hate locking threads at any point because it just stifles discussion. Sometimes it's necessary, but I personally am not happy with "thread done - lock" - it just seems totally unnecessary, apart from anything else.

    Toast on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Toast wrote:
    Personally as a moderator I hate locking threads at any point because it just stifles discussion. Sometimes it's necessary, but I personally am not happy with "thread done - lock" - it just seems totally unnecessary, apart from anything else.

    Under what context? Are you talking about in the discussion forums, such as G&T and D&D, or the MD and H/A? Because if you're referring to the latter, I'll have bone daddy etch my previous post in this thread onto a baseball bat and I'll come beat you with it until my point is understood.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    That way if someone has the same question or follow up questions they can go back and contribute something instead of having multiple threads on the same thing. iPods for instance.

    Also its incredibly tacky to have some mod not even involved in the discussion to arbitrarily decide that the thread is over. Especially if it was staying on topic. Threads will die if there is no more apparent reason for their existance, thats the point and nature of a forum. If someone still has something to say, it wont die. Marvelous, eh?

    But if they are "done" then that means that nobody would post in them ever again anyway... and if someone did, it wouldn't be "done" now would it?

    What your asking it for the mods to be psychic. And we know that some of them can barely put their pants on.

    ZING. There was some zing here.

    Jasconius on
  • KeromeKerome Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Nooooooooooooooooooo.....

    I am not asking the mods to be Psychic. We all know that there is absolutely no way for a mod to know that a thread is done unless its on page 3, and by that point no one will ever know it was locked unless he bumps the fucking thing when he does lock it.

    What I AM asking is that mods stop being lock happy under the guise a thread is done. Because we all know thats what it is (except in certain cases as Pheezer pointed out), the sure thrill of pressing a button that no one else has.

    Kerome on
    Max Evans & Liz Parker
    nrev3ey.jpg
  • ToastToast Registered User
    edited November 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Toast wrote:
    Personally as a moderator I hate locking threads at any point because it just stifles discussion. Sometimes it's necessary, but I personally am not happy with "thread done - lock" - it just seems totally unnecessary, apart from anything else.

    Under what context? Are you talking about in the discussion forums, such as G&T and D&D, or the MD and H/A? Because if you're referring to the latter, I'll have bone daddy etch my previous post in this thread onto a baseball bat and I'll come beat you with it until my point is understood.

    G&T. Only place I visit (the other one being here) that it bothers me in.

    Toast on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    What I AM asking is that mods stop being lock happy under the guise a thread is done. Because we all know thats what it is (except in certain cases as Pheezer pointed out), the sure thrill of pressing a button that no one else has.

    ...you're fucking insane. Or stupid. I don't even want to try to figure that out.

    If it was mods powertripping and pushing buttons for the sheer thrill, you'd be banned right now.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    If it was mods powertripping and pushing buttons for the sheer thrill, you'd be banned right now.

    Shotgun.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome, I don't think that is a very good reason, and I really don't think that's why it happens.

    There have been two or three times in the past where a thread was locked because someone thought it was done, but I sure would have liked to been able to post another comment. I'm sorry, but I can't think of a specific example right now.

    Dioretsa on
  • KeromeKerome Registered User
    edited November 2004
    I was banned for the sheer thrill of it. I had to PM Alphamonkey and Denihilist to get that one reveresed. You guys sure have short memories. I guess its an integeral part of your massive hypocrisy. God knows how many times I have been Joy-Jailed by Orthanc as well. Maybe if you guys read PMs more often and stopped being little power whores I would of been unjailed by now instead of having my PM ignored. The one I sent out a week ago politely asking how long I was to be jailed. The one I am still waiting a response for.

    Kerome on
    Max Evans & Liz Parker
    nrev3ey.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    I was banned for the sheer thrill of it. I had to PM Alphamonkey and Denihilist to get that one reveresed. You guys sure have short memories. I guess its an integeral part of your massive hypocrisy. God knows how many times I have been Joy-Jailed by Orthanc as well. Maybe if you guys read PMs more often and stopped being little power whores I would of been unjailed by now instead of having my PM ignored. The one I sent out a week ago politely asking how long I was to be jailed. The one I am still waiting a response for.

    You know what? You'd probably get jailed for calling everyone with a badge "little power whores". We've banned people for what you were jailed for, too, so stop whining.

    I guess it's all part of our massive hypocrisy though, letting you make a referral whore thread without banning you. Because we're all in on it, you see. We're all part of one giant scheme, and none of us are individuals doing our own jobs the way we think is best. Nope, corrupt little power whores, huddling around the same keyboard, taking turns oppressing users at random. That's how it is.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    is it my turn yet? i wanna go

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • KeromeKerome Registered User
    edited November 2004
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    Kerome on
    Max Evans & Liz Parker
    nrev3ey.jpg
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    jail me plz

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    Yep. I've banned people for sassing me too.


    Shit, what's that Dirty Harry line I'm looking for...

    It's something about a day, I swear it's as cool as fuck...

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2004
    I looked for a Dirty Harry quote about a day.

    No luck.

    So... I was bored.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    are...are you serious?

    oh god

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    TDL wrote:
    I looked for a Dirty Harry quote about a day.

    No luck.

    So... I was bored.
    Go ahead, make my day.

    And you couldn't have looked that hard.

    You should have clicked "I'm feeling lucky", punk.

    RocketScience on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    less of the helpful, please

    make with the mocking

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    Do you ever read the fucking rules?

    Besides the fact that if that's what your thread was it still would've been against the rules, that's not what your thread was. It wasn't FREE IPOD CONGA!, it was "HEY EVERYONE GO HERE AND SIGN UP SO I CAN GET SOMETHING FREE". Which yes, people do get banned over you stupid fucking twit.

    That aside, the type of thread you're trying to pass your OMG REFERRALS bullshit off as has been banned too. So what the hell are you trying to say? "I SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRAIPSE ABOUT WITHOUT READING OR MAKING ANY EFFORT TO FOLLOW THE RULES AND NO MOD SHOULD EVER DO ANYTHING I DON'T LIKE BECAUSE IT'S ALL A BIG EVIL ANTI-JERMAI SCHEME THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT I CONTRIBUTE NOTHING OF VALUE AND ONLY CAUSE PROBLEMS."?

    Before you shoot your stupid mouth off again about power whores banning people for fun you should probably at least try to stop and think and realize that PHEEZER IS A MOD AND WOULD LIKE TO DISPUTE THAT POINT. I know, I'm using the caps lock a lot, but you're an idiot and I need something to keep getting your attention. So pay attention: I WAS BANNED BY DR D AT ONE POINT TOO. SOMETIMES THERE ARE BAD MODS. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU GET TO ACCUSE EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH A SMIDGEN OF AUTHORITY OF BEING AN EVIL WHORE OUT TO RUIN YOUR DAY.

    Because if you do stupid shit like that, and insult and berate every single person with any level of authority because you disagree with a few isolated actions of some particular mods, we will all very quickly learn to hate you. There is no scheme in place to oppress users for the joy of it, there are retarded fucking brats that piss everyone off and then claim oppression after they've burned every single bridge they could find.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    There was mocking, punk

    RocketScience on
  • ClarenceClarence Registered User
    edited November 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    I know, I'm using the caps lock a lot, but you're an idiot and I need something to keep getting your attention..

    Large bodies of text typed in all-caps is actually harder to read (loss of ascenders and descenders which the human brain uses as a primary identifier when reading) and is therefore more difficult for someone with a low-attention span to absorb. Different colours may be more effective.

    Clarence on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    heh

    H/A'd

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • ClarenceClarence Registered User
    edited November 2004
    The Cat wrote:
    heh

    H/A'd

    And they thought the SE++ spill-over was annoying. Imagine having all the good flame-fests spoiled by polite tips on proper dueling etiquette.

    Clarence on
  • KeromeKerome Registered User
    edited November 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Kerome wrote:
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    snip

    No I just took a break of posting here for a while and when I came back the rules had been expanded. When I had left there was a GIANT free iPod thread. Apotheos pointed me in the right direction when I ran afoul, I was showing incredulity cause I find it hard to believe you guys banned someone for threads which had been accepted for a long time. It would seem like a jailing offense to me.

    Sorry I guess for all that.

    Kerome on
    Max Evans & Liz Parker
    nrev3ey.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Kerome wrote:
    pheezer wrote:
    Kerome wrote:
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    snip

    No I just took a break of posting here for a while and when I came back the rules had been expanded. When I had left there was a GIANT free iPod thread. Apotheos pointed me in the right direction when I ran afoul, I was showing incredulity cause I find it hard to believe you guys banned someone for threads which had been accepted for a long time. It would seem like a jailing offense to me.

    Sorry I guess for all that.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80796&highlight=

    Ex-fucking-scooz me?

    What does that thread say, asshole? Does it say "FREE DS CONGA! EVVERYONE LET'S ALL GET FREE DS'S!"? No, it fucking says "HEY EVERYONE HELP ME WIN SOMETHING".

    That's actually worse than half of the sitewhore threads we get. Stop being stupid, that thread never would've flown then or now or at any point in time.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Less talking, more jailing

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • KeromeKerome Registered User
    edited November 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Kerome wrote:
    pheezer wrote:
    Kerome wrote:
    You banned people from help me get a free ipod threads?

    snip

    No I just took a break of posting here for a while and when I came back the rules had been expanded. When I had left there was a GIANT free iPod thread. Apotheos pointed me in the right direction when I ran afoul, I was showing incredulity cause I find it hard to believe you guys banned someone for threads which had been accepted for a long time. It would seem like a jailing offense to me.

    Sorry I guess for all that.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80796&highlight=

    Ex-fucking-scooz me?

    What does that thread say, asshole? Does it say "FREE DS CONGA! EVVERYONE LET'S ALL GET FREE DS'S!"? No, it fucking says "HEY EVERYONE HELP ME WIN SOMETHING".

    That's actually worse than half of the sitewhore threads we get. Stop being stupid, that thread never would've flown then or now or at any point in time.

    Never saw it that way.

    Kerome on
    Max Evans & Liz Parker
    nrev3ey.jpg
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, Im going to lock this thread because it is done....

    Just for the irony.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    funny.

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
This discussion has been closed.