As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I've recently swapped my Buddies around so that my Palico is Buddy 1 and my Palamute is Buddy 2. That way, the Palico joins me on multiplayer hunts, instead. The cats just contribute so much more to groups, while also not cluttering up melee as much. I've started using a Healing Palico because they sing songs to keep everyone topped off and generate bubbles that people can pop for on-demand health. At first, I had been worried about quality of life and just not having access to the Palamute to ride around on, but after playing around with Wirebug jumps all day yesterday, I find that I actually arrive at monster relocations faster than everyone else a lot of the time.

Isl hear the Gathering type cat is awesome, too. Which others are highly desired for group play?
    The fighter cat level 1 ability is a buff of 30% affinity and I think earplugs. If that goes to the whole party it's pretty crazy.

I had a doggo with earplugs and I swear to god it never seemed to literally do anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I've recently swapped my Buddies around so that my Palico is Buddy 1 and my Palamute is Buddy 2. That way, the Palico joins me on multiplayer hunts, instead. The cats just contribute so much more to groups, while also not cluttering up melee as much. I've started using a Healing Palico because they sing songs to keep everyone topped off and generate bubbles that people can pop for on-demand health. At first, I had been worried about quality of life and just not having access to the Palamute to ride around on, but after playing around with Wirebug jumps all day yesterday, I find that I actually arrive at monster relocations faster than everyone else a lot of the time.

Isl hear the Gathering type cat is awesome, too. Which others are highly desired for group play?
    The fighter cat level 1 ability is a buff of 30% affinity and I think earplugs. If that goes to the whole party it's pretty crazy.

I had a doggo with earplugs and I swear to god it never seemed to literally do anything.
    pretty sure buddy passives only apply to the buddy

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Well, doggo earplugs only apply to the doggo itself, while the Fighter Cat gives minor earplugs to the entire party.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I legit don't know what armor to aim for, being that I'm maining IG in this game. There doesn't seem to be much that really makes me excited, armor-wise.

Also, man, Rakna Kadaki is pretty fun. And Goss feels a bit off-place in 7*, with all these rather dangerous monsters like Diablos and Magnamalo and Almudron, and here's Goss just kind of being Arzuros EX with a sword.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    Arch wrote: »

Well, doggo earplugs only apply to the doggo itself, while the Fighter Cat gives minor earplugs to the entire party.

ahh well that makes more sense.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    This is my kitty friend for all hunts, I'm a big fan.
    JPciwAU.png

Wish she had Shock Prrison instead of Tripper but pretty great overall.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I legit don't know what armor to aim for, being that I'm maining IG in this game. There doesn't seem to be much that really makes me excited, armor-wise.

Also, man, Rakna Kadaki is pretty fun. And Goss feels a bit off-place in 7*, with all these rather dangerous monsters like Diablos and Magnamalo and Almudron, and here's Goss just kind of being Arzuros EX with a sword.
    I mean, you say this, but I see randos all the time being carted by Goss. I know, it boggles the mind, since all of his movements are slow and all of his moves are heavily telegraphed, but they hit like trucks, I guess.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    goss' ranged stuff is nasty, but once i realized he fires it in a pattern when he's enraging, it's easy enough to deal with

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah goss is kind of the greed/idiot check. He's easy if you pay attention, but if you're greedy and keep going for that one more attack he's going to cut you in half. He's probably my favorite monster in rise. I'm not sure his gear is good though, I've only played bow since like 4 star village

Also, uh, is it me or is there absolutely fuck all for Guard in this game?

Like, there don't seem to be decos far as I can tell, and there's like three armors that give guard and none seem to go above 3.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

Like, there don't seem to be decos far as I can tell, and there's like three armors that give guard and none seem to go above 3.

https://monsterhunterrise.wiki.fextralife.com/Ironwall+Jewel+2

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Ah, it's on the dude from the Urgent that I didn't do yet. Still, dang. basic Guard deco is made from what seems to be the literal last enemy in the game? Yikes.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Yeah goss is kind of the greed/idiot check. He's easy if you pay attention, but if you're greedy and keep going for that one more attack he's going to cut you in half. He's probably my favorite monster in rise. I'm not sure his gear is good though, I've only played bow since like 4 star village
    solid option for high raw weapons

i've seen at least one speedrun using the hammer

armor kinda blows, since it's crit draw and crit draw sucks now apparently

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Guard Decos are a pain in the ass to get, and all the armor with Guard on it is a bit shit.

The best option here is get the best gear with 5 lvl 2/3 deco slots and hopefully Guard Up on an Amulet.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but if you smack a lizard with your kunai instead of just looting it you can get multiple ore drops. (Rock/Bolder lizard endmic life.)

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Its also possible that there are options we haven't seen dropped yet, cause they rely on monsters from the April update.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Zunde wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but if you smack a lizard with your kunai instead of just looting it you can get multiple ore drops. (Rock/Bolder lizard endmic life.)
    By "looting", we mean "kicking the lizard". :/ How rude.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Its also possible that there are options we haven't seen dropped yet, cause they rely on monsters from the April update.

God I hope so.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    The Goss GS wins some massive style points for sure.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    By "looting", we mean "kicking the lizard". :/ How rude.

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon kicking the lizard.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

World has kind of made me wary of additional monsters. It feels like most post-release additions were rather tuned too high to be much fun. An armor wth good skills doesn't help if it's on something like Alatreon that I'm plain and simply not bothering with!

World has kind of made me wary of additional monsters. It feels like most post-release additions were rather tuned too high to be much fun. An armor wth good skills doesn't help if it's on something like Alatreon that I'm plain and simply not bothering with!
    Most of the new Monster additions in the April update will be high end Elder Dragon content, which will be significantly more difficult than current Rise content. Teostra (if the data mines are true) will be a huge leap of difficulty compared to base game because most people are just bad at avoiding explosions in that fight.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'd hope we also get some of the good higher end non-elders like Brachy and Lagi there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'd hope we also get some of the good higher end non-elders like Brachy and Lagi there.
    Deviljho is a notable absence.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

They've avoided subspecies in this one, so those are probably out... but I'd like to see Zamtrios appear again (we have Zamites already. Tetsucabra is a strange omission since the guild master is riding one. Flesh out the frogs.

Also bring back Astalos, it's a standard wyvern model and has great looking gear. Give me Seregios too.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

BAGELGOOSE

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The GOOSE plus wyvern riding seems like it would be a fun combination

7h8wnycre6vs.png

Eh to be honest I'm kind of tired of the pickle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    ph blake wrote: »
    The GOOSE plus wyvern riding seems like it would be a fun combination

Mounted punisher needs to be riding it up high for bombing runs. The bombs can hurt your teammates, of course. Then you leap off as it dive bombs the monster.

I love Teostra tho, so bring on the sizzle kitty

lunastra, with more wind pressure, shittier hitzones, and a longer tail

Teostra is mostly a fair fight, as long as the stupid anti-ranged aura from World doesn't come back. "My shot hitzones are all 0 except to my face" was horrible game design.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Most of the new Monster additions in the April update will be high end Elder Dragon content, which will be significantly more difficult than current Rise content. Teostra (if the data mines are true) will be a huge leap of difficulty compared to base game because most people are just bad at avoiding explosions in that fight.

Is there reason to expect the April update to be that significant?

So far they've been hinting at it and it's like, Chameleos! Apex Rathalos! And another question mark!

It sounds relatively small in content.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited April 2021

So far they've been hinting at it and it's like, Chameleos! Apex Rathalos! And another question mark!

The "?" is labeled as "Several New Monsters". I don't think those are going to be small monsters, although it would be a fabulous troll if it was. "Giaprey is back! In Pog form!" I don't think they would use "Several" to mean 1 or 2.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png

The "?" is labeled as "Several New Monsters". I don't think those are going to be small monsters, although it would be a fabulous troll if it was. "Giaprey is back! In Pog form!"

No, but being heavy on elders is something we have no evidence for. There's so many flagships they could bring back.

The "?" is labeled as "Several New Monsters". I don't think those are going to be small monsters, although it would be a fabulous troll if it was. "Giaprey is back! In Pog form!"

No, but being heavy on elders is something we have no evidence for. There's so many flagships they could bring back.
    The main evidence (which is still speculative, mind you) is a datamine:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/m44hh6/the_mh_rise_datamined_monster_list_formatted_and/

On the datamine, several Elders are listed that aren't currently in the game.

Also, the updated content is likely going to be HR8 shit, which seems like it's going to be mostly Elder heavy (as in previous Monster Hunters, where the final HR was basically Elder Dragon-a-thons).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I would love for an Out of Left Field thing to show up like Dalamadur or Gogmazios or Shen Gaoren to show up. Imagine those fights with Wirebugs. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Dalamadur would be crazy with wirebugs.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

They've avoided subspecies in this one, so those are probably out... but I'd like to see Zamtrios appear again (we have Zamites already. Tetsucabra is a strange omission since the guild master is riding one. Flesh out the frogs.

Also bring back Astalos, it's a standard wyvern model and has great looking gear. Give me Seregios too.

Seconding all of this. Tetsu's omission is especially baffling. I guess they figured Tetra filled that role?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Seconding all of this. Tetsu's omission is especially baffling. I guess they figured Tetra filled that role?
    "Tetsucabra? No, we don't hunt those. Those are docile, domesticated beasts. What?"

8i1dt37buh2m.png