As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Anybody who was hoping "classic" MH would return is probably kidding themselves after World was probably the biggest success in the series.

Every game going forward is going to be taking big cues from that one. Works for me.

It just feels so bad to have to give up on the franchise like this. I know why this is happening, and I'm only slightly spiteful about it, but it just feels like I've lost something that I cared about. Unlike a cancelled series I can't even hold out for an eventual sequel, since the new direction is actively blocking the old one. We were lucky to even get GenU at all, after World came out.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Anybody who was hoping "classic" MH would return is probably kidding themselves after World was probably the biggest success in the series.

Every game going forward is going to be taking big cues from that one. Works for me.

It just feels so bad to have to give up on the franchise like this. I know why this is happening, and I'm only slightly spiteful about it, but it just feels like I've lost something that I cared about. Unlike a cancelled series I can't even hold out for an eventual sequel, since the new direction is actively blocking the old one. We were lucky to even get GenU at all, after World came out.

Aside from tons of Palicoes, being able to restock, and the ability to pause, what are the big changes?

This is an honest question, I've never played any other entry into the series.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Sounds like everybody's favorite New World punching bag Great Jagras has made the trek over to Rise.

Hopefully Greatest Jagras event down the line too.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As a long time fan of MH I gotta say, World was a TON of QoL improvements that were a decade overdue. Honestly still a ton more to go, but World is great stuff.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

i mean you can go play the old games lol

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I didn't even know you could restock.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Aside from tons of Palicoes, being able to restock, and the ability to pause, what are the big changes?

The multiplayer system is a big difference, but I don't know if I'd call it a 'new direction'. SOS flares were only supposed to be an extra thing, the devs were surprised when the playerbase used them as the way to multiplayer.

I know Gaijinhunter was complaining about gear only needing parts from a single monster to make, usually, and not a shopping list of different stuff to hunt down.

I guess you need to know the zones less, since you always have a map and can always fast travel to camp. But the World zones have so much more stuff in them like usually indigenous life and traps that it's basically a wash.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    TamerBill wrote: »

The multiplayer system is a big difference, but I don't know if I'd call it a 'new direction'. SOS flares were only supposed to be an extra thing, the devs were surprised when the playerbase used them as the way to multiplayer.

I know Gaijinhunter was complaining about gear only needing parts from a single monster to make, usually, and not a shopping list of different stuff to hunt down.

I guess you need to know the zones less, since you always have a map and can always fast travel to camp. But the World zones have so much more stuff in them like usually indigenous life and traps that it's basically a wash.

I mean I really like the SOS flare mechanic for multi. It lets you just get to it and help arrives when things start getting thick (if at all, my shrieking legiana quests are usually pretty bare), and for those joining who are probably farming parts they don't have to do the initial track/hunt part.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The not having to track multiple monsters for armor/weapons i can see. There are a few where you do (notably the water weapons) but im guessing probably not to the scale as previous games.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    This shares a couple of differences between World and the older games.

https://youtu.be/j-ubCYcn7LA

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

They seem fair. I think the desire to loot and collect things has kind of died after I hit hour 2000 of Path of Exile (taking a break from that until PoE2 comes out), so the more streamlined approach in MHW is probably part of the appeal.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

They seem fair. I think the desire to loot and collect things has kind of died after I hit hour 2000 of Path of Exile (taking a break from that until PoE2 comes out), so the more streamlined approach in MHW is probably part of the appeal.

World is in my backlog because I can't tolerate the grind now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

The grind in MHW isn't bad if you just go for a raw build.

Its non-existant until the end of MHW proper (before iceborne) because the Defender equipment is purposely OP to get you through the game.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

The grind in MHW isn't bad if you just go for a raw build.

Its non-existant until the end of MHW proper (before iceborne) because the Defender equipment is purposely OP to get you through the game.

Yeah, it took me about 130 hours to complete the base game and Iceborne without defender equipment or elemental weapons. That's largely not even grind, just main missions and side quests with a few detours for event outfits.

I'm not sure how much grind you actually need in Iceborne because the Grand Appreciation Fest event armor is ridiculously good early on and I wore it half the game.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    There were good things about the classic MH formula that some of us liked.

I don't think we want all of the QOL to go away but, for one, I actually miss the old skill system.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    21 Minutes of Monster Hunter Rise Dual Blades Gameplay: https://youtu.be/PhxcYiAxbsM

Seidkona on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »
    There were good things about the classic MH formula that some of us liked.

I don't think we want all of the QOL to go away but, for one, I actually miss the old skill system.

The problem with the old anil system was it was completely dense and player unfriendly on how it worked.

It had its virtues, and I've said before I think the decoration grind in world is atrocious and equally player unfriendly, but the skill system is way way easier to understand and use

It also means you never see people in clown suits with zero working skills and lemme tell you, I saw a lot of those back in 4U and Gen.

Craftable charms are also a big improvement

(Deco drops are still stupid bullshit though)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Will be glad when the layered armor update gets here.

Can finally go full cave man by wearing the bone armor all the time with a giant club.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Clown suits are and easy fix though. It was fixed in GU.

Just turn armor into layered armor.

I agree the system could use fixing but I do not like HOW they fixed it. There was a way to do it that was still complex and also had the edges sanded off.

• Options
    I think part of the issue is that they are bound, to some degree or another, by the variety of skills they can put on armor. I actually really liked the MHW system, where any given item gave you at least 1 working point in a skill, instead of some partial value out of 10 to activate the skill. I still created weird clown armor setups, but they worked, and I didn't need to worry that I was missing 1 deco to activate the final point of Evade 2 or w/e.

Also, I think TZP's main point was clown suits with no activated skills. Clown suits are always going to be a thing, I think they've just become an ironic aesthetic of the game.

Its difficult, because decorations feel way stronger in World than in older games, because you are actually giving a full skill vs 1/10 of a skill. What if they introduced half skills? Like, this armor has half of the skill points to make AUS, slot this deco to complete the skill point? Or just drastically reduce the number of deco's, which then reduces the variation options between alpha and beta armor sets.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bring back minis skills on sets/decos where you get bigger boosts for a penalty elsewhere.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    doing skills like attack up in world where you get small boosts and then a larger boost at a threshold seems like a good compromise

maybe skill synergies? having two different skills together unlocks a third skill or a bonus between the two

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my only complaint with world's skill system is that it's too difficult to get particular, rarer decos

the game inundates you with trash decos, so it's entirely just a matter of bad drop rates on the good ones moreso than deco availability in general

seems like an easy tweak

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    my only complaint with world's skill system is that it's too difficult to get particular, rarer decos

the game inundates you with trash decos, so it's entirely just a matter of bad drop rates on the good ones moreso than deco availability in general

seems like an easy tweak

One nice thing about crafted decos/random charms is that in the old system a lot of the rarest power charms were that they just had more points/slots than more common versions. So if you didn't hit some god tier Evade +7/OO charm, you might have a Evade+5/OO that was almost as good.

The MHW system is very all or nothing, plus you need multiple of those rare drops a lot of the time.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I liked clown suits =[

in fact all of my world stuff is clown suits!!!!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    I liked clown suits =[

in fact all of my world stuff is clown suits!!!!

World arguably improved upon clown suits by showcasing them in dramatic cutscenes for your fellow hunters.

• Options
    People have been trying to convince me the old skill system is bad for 10+ years I do not expect to be swayed on it now. . .

:lol:

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Please tell me I can turn those damage numbers off.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Please tell me I can turn those damage numbers off.

I think you can in works but they're actually surprisingly non intrusive! And very useful when it comes to getting if you're hitting a weak body part or not.

Plus the satisfaction of of setting 1.5k+ of damage when you land true charge slash

• Options
    I don't know why they don't go with a system that has 3000 different skill points in various different configurations and everything is RNG, including the armor and weapon drops

(This is obviously a joke)

• Options
    People have been trying to convince me the old skill system is bad for 10+ years I do not expect to be swayed on it now. . .

:lol:

Eh, I don't think the old system is bad. I think the system in World is like... 3 steps forward one step back? I liked charms being useful, they've felt much less impactful in world... probably because in prior games a charm could be worth like 5-6 gems worth of points (between its own stats and slots). In world most of them aren't nearly that good, while gems are also stronger. That's part of the pain of the switch of what's crafted or not, it's a much smaller portion of your extra skill points that you can craft in world.

• Options
    These defender weapons and armor set are insane for just cutting straight through LR in record time. Which is amazing since I've switched to the PC version and trying to get through old content as fast as possible.

Do they maintain their usefulness in HR? I'm pretty smitten with the dual blades that are basically just exploding chainsaws.

• Options
    These defender weapons and armor set are insane for just cutting straight through LR in record time. Which is amazing since I've switched to the PC version and trying to get through old content as fast as possible.

Do they maintain their usefulness in HR? I'm pretty smitten with the dual blades that are basically just exploding chainsaws.

Yes, they can be upgraded so you don't need anything else until Master Rank.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Niiice.

This is perfect.

• Options

seems like an easy tweak

I think the obvious solution would just be to allow you to meld low level decos into higher level versions

• Options

Does iceborne only have MR?

• Options

Does iceborne only have MR?

Iceborne is only MR, but it's roughly as long as LR and HR put together. Or longer, since that's where the new endgame is.

• Options

seems like an easy tweak

I think the obvious solution would just be to allow you to meld low level decos into higher level versions

I'd favour some sort of garunteeded rng mitigation - so leave the Deco system as is in general, but you should be able to craft attack decos, or whatever you want.

It doesn't need to be cheap, but as long as it's something you can work towards and progress while still fishing for random drops, it'd be a big improvement

(It's extra frustrating that this dosent exist given the game already has rng mitigation for most drops with the ticket system and the way you can rig the drops in your favour with wound/capturing etc)

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular

I agree the system could use fixing but I do not like HOW they fixed it. There was a way to do it that was still complex and also had the edges sanded off.

I played GU for hundreds of hours and only managed to unlock layered helmets, I think it was a feeble attempt.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I played GU for hundreds of hours and only managed to unlock layered helmets, I think it was a feeble attempt.

It was gated behind the final story G rank boss or something for the rest.