As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I’m still stuck on this Alatreon fight, this fight is infuriating.

Reminds me a little too much of endgame Sekiro.

At least I got the Ice and Dragon DB from Kulve Taroth.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, I hadn't played for a while and I've been trying to beat Alatreon. Just had a full group where we were dunking him constantly but HE WON'T DIE and he does his stupid-ass nova for the third time and we all wipe.

This is the worst fight in the series hands-down.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I also hadnt played much in a while, decided to boot it back up a little over a week ago, I’m going solo against him for now, I can at least learn all his tells.

Just doesnt feel like I’m making too much progress, he moves way too fucking much, spent some time picking up some new gear like Kjarr DB. (which I didnt know had a crit skill inbuilt now)

A fair few people I see that SOS Alatreon are like... Level HR40/MR30 with crap gear, good luck and have fun with that. (Should have put him at MR 100 at least.)

Looking forward to AT Velkhana so I can max out my Affinity+ Charm to its new level 5 tier.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    keep chugging at Alatreon, the fight becomes easy once you figure it out the punishable moves and can get to the knockdown thresholds reliably.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Breaking the horns only “stop” Alatreons elemental rotation for a while, right? Only thing that dilutes Escaton Judgement is pure elemental damage if I understand correctly.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    AT velk gonna be stupid hard lol

• Options
    edited October 2020
    keep chugging at Alatreon, the fight becomes easy once you figure it out the punishable moves and can get to the knockdown thresholds reliably.
    i wouldn't say easy exactly, but he's got windows you can learn and improve your odds immensely
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Breaking the horns only “stop” Alatreons elemental rotation for a while, right? Only thing that dilutes Escaton Judgement is pure elemental damage if I understand correctly.
    horn breaks lock you into the fire/ice mode you're currently in

once he runs out of horns, he switches no matter what

in multi, it's essentially a hard time limit, unless you've got a mixed group (or dragon, but i don't recommend dragon)

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I just want that sweet, sweet Fatalis armor, why you gotta block me Alatreon?

Made a new set combination for Kulve, basically 3 piece Safi, 2 piece Gold Rathian, so dragonvein and crit element with divine protection 5, worked well for Kulve, much less healing downtime and my damage still seems fairly high (still max ice damage, WE, CB and Affinity.), I miss my TCE build but my elemental resistances are all terrible in that.

Guess I should try this combination out on Alatreon.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I feel like they're at least making an earnest attempt here. But I'm still not going to an actual movie theater in 2 months to see this. (I 100% would have in a non-Covid world, though.)

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Stopped obsessing about not getting carted and just went at him, he fell over much sooner than I expected.

d0vbthpjzi3c.jpeg

Sirialis on
  • Options
    the pre-fatalis one has like 10k HP

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I know, doubt I could take his normal 50k hp right now but I’m getting there, able to dodge a lot of his constant bullshit now.

I dont really care that much about his gear though, Fatalis is a lot more appealing, just odd that even Fatalis’s DB looks kinda bad, is there any reason to use Fatalis DB over Dragon Kjarr DB? Fatalis has more raw but affinity and dragon damage are pretty bad.

Edit: Any certain way to get Shadowcore ore? Killed a bunch of Tempered Elders and havent seen anything drop.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I know, doubt I could take his normal 50k hp right now but I’m getting there, able to dodge a lot of his constant bullshit now.

I dont really care that much about his gear though, Fatalis is a lot more appealing, just odd that even Fatalis’s DB looks kinda bad.

Edit: Any certain way to get Shadowcore ore? Killed a bunch of Tempered Elders and havent seen anything drop.

Are you doing tempered elder investigations? That's the best way, but its still random.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    How tough is Ruiner Nergigante?

If I'm remembering right, Arch Tempered Nerg was one of those rare moments as an adult where I found myself wanting to physically throw my controller at a wall.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hmm, MHW downloaded stuff during the night. Probably preloading assets for the upcoming festival.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

If I'm remembering right, Arch Tempered Nerg was one of those rare moments as an adult where I found myself wanting to physically throw my controller at a wall.

not as bad as AT Nergi, but not completely a pushover like Nergi. It had a few moves from AT but they're not as bad as that version (it doesn't spam the zero-windup ground pound)

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

It's not the worst, but it is still MHW Nergi and can be a real bully if given the chance. Feel like it's a skin of your teeth fight when first unlocked, but dunno now with added content advancements in gear.

• Options
    edited October 2020

He is pretty similar to normal Nerg except his divebomb and crash now also shoots out spikes that bleeds you, also these fucking spikes literally cheat, they can shoot in a 360 degree radius from where Ruiner Nerg divebombs directly tracking you.
    Naphtali wrote: »

I dont really care that much about his gear though, Fatalis is a lot more appealing, just odd that even Fatalis’s DB looks kinda bad.

Are you doing tempered elder investigations? That's the best way, but its still random.

Did a few but didnt get anything.

Should just drop from Tempered Elders in GL tbh.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ruiner is kind of a DPS race fight

if your damage is good and your dodges are on point, you can bully the shit out of him. my record time on tempered nerg in the event is a hair over 6 minutes

if your damage is not good or you're spending too much time getting hit, you're gonna get an increasingly belligerent and spammy AI and more and more black spikes and he'll be a nightmare to deal with

i think i've seen speedrunners call this the zoomies phase, because he just starts spamming low recovery charges and the AT nerg slam

• Options
    Fatalis is a stunlocking piece of shit.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've kicked the shit out of everything but Silver/Gold, Safi'jiiva, Alatreon, and Fatalis

And I still can't reliably beat that fucking monkey

(Please note I still haven't unlocked the life mod for lances, which will render me invulnerable I assume)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    As an aside, I played with another lance dude a few days ago and I am surprised at how different the playstyles are

I was killin Zinogre with a nearly constant counter/stab/stab/hop/counter string until an opening happened, then it was wallbang time. This guy did nothing but lance charges the entire hunt and carted twice.

No wonder people think lance sucks.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    i miss playing lance but every time i take it out in iceborne it's a diasater

i put like 500 hunts into that thing in high rank

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Elendil wrote: »

Disaster as in...?

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Disaster as in?
    "i carted nine times to a tempered stygian in the guiding lands"

• Options
    edited October 2020

Disaster as in?
    "i carted nine times to a tempered stygian in the guiding lands"

*sharp inhale*

Got it.

So far only Rajang has really put a hurt on me, and that's because the lance augments are locked behind some bullshit, whereas my bow and GS stuff is already available.

Also, that Guard Up gem dropping has changed my entire outlook, as I was looking to switch.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Starting to feel like I should come back for these new fights, though I got a lot of grinding to do just to get better gear for them (or unlocking my armor upgrades). I'm tempted to do a weapon swap since it's been a while. Did MHW on PC with LS and then most of Iceborne as hammer, though swapped back to LS for guiding lands grinding. I went so far as to make the goldian LS and do a health augment on it.

So I wonder do I try to make hammer work again or maybe try to learn the ways of the lance for once.

Edit: which makes me wonder, where would I even want to start back up on. I think I'd just be hunting mostly randomly. Stopped playing just before stygian zinogre I think.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I love Lance and its tempo but some monsters just make it impossible

whereas sns works for eeeeverything

• Options

Yeah but can you tank a Nergi bomb and smack him directly in the face with a charge shot right after?

• Options

Yeah but can you tank a Nergi bomb and smack him directly in the face with a charge shot right after?

You'd iframe the dive bomb with a backhop instead with SnS

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Naphtali wrote: »

You'd iframe the dive bomb with a backhop instead with SnS

It was mostly in jest, every weapon type is A-OK to me

I love tanking one-shots and having like 2% damage done. I'd rather do that all day than dodge. Guard 5/Guard Up/Divine Blessing

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Lance is defintiely incredibly strong pre-Iceborne, have been playing on PC where I don't own the expansion and it's just so good.

In IB, the issue does seem to come from many monsters attacking faster than you can block between attacks, and also how many status ailments are present there as well.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Lance is defintiely incredibly strong pre-Iceborne, have been playing on PC where I don't own the expansion and it's just so good.

In IB, the issue does seem to come from many monsters attacking faster than you can block between attacks, and also how many status ailments are present there as well.

Hopping between the 1/2/3 combos animation cancels and instantly brings the shield up. I never use the 1/2/3 in Iceborne unless its multiplayer, tho.

Also, using the counter/1/counter set doesn't get you the sweet third hit damage but it does allow nearly constant pressure. Countercharge/1/hop/forward stab/hop/countercharge is also a really solid combo with a ton of knockout damage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I had probably close to 500 hours in base MHW on ps4, nearly full time lance with some HBG thrown in for some hunts, before switching over to PC for IB. I still mained lance on PC but with the added precision of M&KB I found myself running LBG a lot more. Dabbled in bow a bit too but I love being a tank so most of my hunts are still lance/HBG.

I just love dropping my shield and eating the big attacks, it's incredibly satisfying.

• Options
    Aretè wrote: »
    I had probably close to 500 hours in base MHW on ps4, nearly full time lance with some HBG thrown in for some hunts, before switching over to PC for IB. I still mained lance on PC but with the added precision of M&KB I found myself running LBG a lot more. Dabbled in bow a bit too but I love being a tank so most of my hunts are still lance/HBG.

I just love dropping my shield and eating the big attacks, it's incredibly satisfying.

Especially when you get the flash and see "The skill Offensive Guard has been activated" message

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have a guard 5 guard up lance build

then I stood in front of Shara Ishvalda's hyper beam and was flattened

with my sns I just see a part of any map that has run up walls and my eyes light up like it's christmas morning because woooo splitter spam

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I...what???

I didn't touch lance in pre-Iceborne times. Hell, I barely even touched gunlance. If I wanted a shield, I'd use charge blade. Otherwise, I was solidly an Insect Glaive flippy ninja. In Iceborne, though, I've found Lance/Gunlance to be incredibly strong and I'll use them to basically cheese every fight up to Safi.

This concept of any of the lances being particularly bad is completely foreign to me and makes no sense.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I do a lot of level 8/9/10 stuff in this video until I can get openings for wallbangs or claw counters.

I still don't know how they jump straight up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdtWlKlVUw

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Is Safi Aquashot with partbreaker a good idea to use to get Alatreons direwings? I main dual blades and its nearly impossible to hit his wings during the fight with those, well unless I throw them at him.

Sirialis on