As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
edited June 2022 in Critical Failures
hnelg80s186n.png

VOYAGE OF "THE WHISPERED CURSE": A D&D 5E TREASURE ISLAND ADVENTURE

“(slams tankard down) Ay, ye haven’t heard, then? Word has it, an ancient treasure map was discovered along the shoreline of Far Aeston…”The Last Light of the West”, right, *that* Far Aeston…so the Govenor and some other rich pig muckity-mucks are hiring out a vessel to track it down. *Which* vessel, you ask? (laughs) Why, The Whispered Curse, the one and only! You’ve heard of It, surely? Crew of miscreants, and mad as hatters, the lot! (cackles). Well of course! Why do you think someone right and proper like Great-Golden-Govenor Mitchell hired them? Headed out at* this* time of year? Into The Twilight Expanse? It’s a death wish for even the most *seasoned* crew. Unknown waters…fierce sea beasts…and that famous paling of magic sitting over the entire sea, like some *accursed* turtle’s shell. You’ve got maybe *a month* before the tropical storm season starts up, and it won’t let up for nearly the year! (laughing, to coughing, to wheezing- breaks to drink deeply) Oh sure, they’re supposed to be paying *very* well up front, offering shares upon recovery, upon safe return… spending *very* handsomely indeed. But for my money? (looks around conspiratorially, *spits*) That ship never makes it back to port.”

n6ja1n447ob9.png

Ahoy, matey, and welcome! Do you like pirates and high seas adventure? Did you enjoy Treasure Island, or the first Pirates of the Carribean movie? Do you wish you could swing heroically from the top sail, sight land ahead, and batten down the hatches? Are you the type of person to be patient with someone learning to DM 5e roughly as they go along, and is more interested in telling a rollicking tale of swashbuckling adventure with a crew of fellow scallywags? Then, *Avast, ye mateys!*

WHAT/WHEN/WHERE

This is my own homebrew campaign using D&D 5e. It will be utilizing a Play-by-Post format. The setting for this adventure will be The Twilight Expanse, which roughly describes the unexplored waters west of the town of Far Aeston, contained in one of the many multi-verses of D&D (that we will be world-building as we go along).

The tone of the game will be more-or-less PG-13. Yes, these *are* pirates, and yes, they *are* bastards, but this is a 13+ forum, and an Evil pirate game could get really gross really *quick*. That doesn’t mean don’t act like a pirate! For instance, you could tie up and interrogate a prisoner, even *harshly*…but disfigurement and brutal torture are off the table. Your character could be a bit of a lech, even a creep! But not a rapist or abuser. Like everything else in this game, if you’re unsure about something, feel free to shoot the DM a PM!

HOW

You will be tasked with creating a Level One character of any reasonable class and background (if you have a question about what constitutes reasonable, feel free to ask!). You will likely be questioned by the DM about your character’s rough background and motivation, in the hopes of working personal stories in with the general plot whenever possible. Additionally, when creating your character, please include in their inventory one of the following items, or an item of similar utility/flavor (once approved by the DM): Scrimshaw Tools, A Musical Instrument, Chess Set, Deck of Playing Cards, Fishing Pole, Dart Set, anything of similar hobby/recreational value that would fit within the setting.

Stats will be determined via the Point Buy method. Every player starts with an 8 in each ability, then are given 27 points to distribute as they see fit among the 6 abilities. Each ability score costs a different number of points (check table below). Ability scores cannot exceed 15 via this method. All points must be spent!

[ ABILITY SCORE POINT COST

8= 0 points, 9= 1 point, 10= 2 points, 11= 3 points, 12= 4 points, 13= 5 points

14= 7 points, 15= 9 points ]

Challenge rolls will be resolved via Geth. Not every action will require a roll, and in fact, many won’t: if the action is uncontested or your PC is highly proficient in the skill set involved, I’ll likely let it proceed.

Example:

Geth, roll 1d20 for "Find my Sea Legs"

Critical Failures and Critical Successes rest on 1 and 20, setting off either a catastrophic (the DM hurts you *good*) or legendarly (“How would you like to do this?”) result.

Occasionally, challenges may present themselves which function by altered/different rules than standard 5e. In these situations, the rules will be presented in the post introducing the challenge, and the second post of this thread will be updated to inform similar challenges in the future.

Note out of character posts by posting them in limegreen.

Example: OOC:

If your character has finished their business in a certain area (the PCs have finished their conversation, you are done investigating this room, your business in the Galley is concluded, ECT) but has not otherwise been moved along by the DM, please note this by posting ellipsis in limegreen at the end of your segment.

Example: (...)

The first few days will be for filling any availabilities in the roster, character creation and finalization, general discussion, establishing any previous relationships between PCs if requested, open questions on the lore and/or setting, and any general questions for the DM or other players. Once everyone is ready, I will be posting a map of the island Far Aeston and you will choose a place in town to begin your journey.

jkhw43a0l3dl.png

“Now, me hearties, let’s weigh anchor, and hoist the mizzen!”

"Find my Sea Legs":
1d20 6 [1d20=6]

mrpaku on

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Inspiration Tokens *will* in use. They will be non-transferable, you may carry one at a time, and they allow you to roll an additional 1d20 with any action roll (before, not after) and drop the lower dice total. The odds of the DM making the party *trip* over each other in the next grand attempt to earn an Inspiration Token will be *high*

Non-Lethal Damage: If, after damage is rolled, an opponent's health drops below 0 HP, the attacker will have the option to knock out their opponent rather than kill them. This option will not be allowed for ranged weapons without a roll of 20 or higher. This option will not be allowed for spells or rages.

CASUAL MOVEMENT

You have the day to wander and explore the town Far Aeston. Please choose a starting place for your character. Your character will be able to spend a reasonable amount of time in the area, exploring, spending, exposition-ing. When they are ready to move on, let the DM know (…) and choose a new location, connected to your current location.

Different phases of the day may bring different opportunities in all locations. Choosing to remain in a given location *is* an option.

Since this is the introduction, I’ll let PCs bump into each other and interact as their players see/don’t see fit (maybe you recognized each other from the ship signup! Maybe you didn’t see each other at all!) Your character will be able to visit three locations today in this way before the storm clouds finish rolling in and drive you to shelter. Your character also has the option to sit and drink at The Loony Schooner all day long. Because pirates!

[WEIRD MAGIC]

Are we using the crafting rules where with an herbalism kit and a day, a healing potion can be made for 25gp?

Yes, unless stated otherwise. The ability to make potions easily and without a failure rate may break down if and when any of the other systems break down. Making remedies homemade, off-ship, -survival-island style will likely prove dicey for anyone without specific knowledge.... initially...

For now...any potions made aboard ship or otherwise have a chance to produce *two doses of the potion* if someone competent rolls an 18 or higher upon their creation. Potions made with a roll below 3 rot and spoil on the *vine* out here

Roll a 1d20 when creating potions on board "The Whispered Curse". Rolls above 18 result in producing two doses of potion. Rolls below 3 result in a vial of brown, malignant sludge....
    mrpaku wrote: »
    SHIP’S MANIFEST, WHISPERED CURSE:
    The Management:

Captain Arabella – Half-Elven, Female Warlord/Bard (“Geena Davis”)

First Mate- Conrad Burgess, Human Male Ranger (“Inigo Montoya”)

Second Mate- Ishmael, Goliath Barbarian Male (“Andre the Giant”)

Third, Fourth Mates- ?

Cabin Boy-?

Quartermaster- Valtari, Tiefling Female Rogue

Bo’sun- ? (Half-Orc Male Barbarian)

(Pilot),( Sea Artist), (Weatherworker)- ?

Gunners- Calvin Jenkins, Shin (Kitsune), ?

Carpenters- Oak, Jack, Aloysisus, Fiver (Lapine), ?

Strikers- Killian (Old Hunter), Irah, Arno, Ril (Aarakorra), ?

Riggers- Bluuurg (Grung), Rax, ?

Deckhands- Urixes, Gary and Victor ("Wedge and Biggs"), ?

Cooks- Michael, Calree Burrowes (Halfling Female Druid)

Bards- Bern, Eilbis (Eladrin Female Bard)

Surgeon- Hugo (Human Male Cleric)

VIPs- Governor Mitchum, [David, Jared, Aaron Edgar], Constance and “Pretty Kitty”

VIPs (Map Edition)- Marlowe the Magnificent, Iron Mike

[WHISPERED CURSE-SIDE MAP]
    6vhnbqbndfm5.jpg

1. Ship’s Lantern/Ship’s Bell

2. Navigation Room

3. Balcony

4. Great Cabin

5. Captain’s Office/Captain’s Quarters

6. Kitchen

7. Galley

8. Forecastle

9. Anchor

10. Infirmary

11. Officer’s Quarters

12. Rudder

13. Ship’s Wheel

14. Ship’s Berth/Gun Deck

15. Gun Ports

16. Rum and Fresh Water Casks

17. Brig

18. Ship’s Magazine/ Ship’s Capstan

19. Spare Sails/Rigging/Cable

20. Orlop Deck (Cargo Hold, Spare Lumber & Sails, Spare Rigging & Cable)

21. Mizzen-Mast

22. Main Mast

23. Fore Mast

24. Fighting Top

25. Mizzen Nest

26. Fore Nest

27. Crow’s Nest

28. Ship’s Stores

29. Ship’s Figurehead

[WHISPERED CURSE-OVERHEAD MAP]
    k0xaus7umb97.jpg

1. Flying Jib Boom

2. Jib Boom

3.Bow Spirit

4. Head

5. Forecastle Deck

6. Fore Mast

7. Main Deck

8. Main Mast

9. Ship’s Wheel

10. Quarter Deck

11. Mizzen Mast

12. Poop Deck

A. Long Boats (x4)

B. Chains (x4)

[WHISPERED CURSE-MANIFEST]
    1. Arabella (Half-Elf Female, Captain)

2. Conrad (Half-Elf Male, 1st Mate)

3. Ishamel (Goliath Male, 2nd Mate)- KILLED; SK

4. Galelor (Half-Elf Nonbinary, 3rd Mate)

5. Calthus (Dragonborn Male, 4th Mate)

6. Saphos (Gnome Male, Cabin Boy)

7. Valtari (Tiefling Female, Quartermaster)- MIA

8. Uroz (Half-Orc Male, Bo’sun)- Acting Quartermaster

9. Derbin (Dwarf Male, Pilot)

10. Refi (Gnome Female, Sea Artist/Navigator)

11. Magna (Firbolg Female, Weatherworker)-DECEASED

12. Zephyr (Genasi Male, Master Gunner)

13. Natali (Half-Orc Female, Master Rigger)

14. Killian (Human Male, Master Striker)

15. Aloysius (Goliath Male, Master Carpenter

16. URIXES (Tiefling Male, Master Deckhand)

17. Calvin (Human Male, 1st Gunner)

18. Shin (Kitsune Male, 2nd Gunner)

19. Black-Tooth Bart (Human Male, 3rd Gunner)

20. Twitchy Joe (Human Male, 4th Gunner)

21. Aloro (Eladrin Female, 5th Gunner)

22. Yis (Rak’ta Female, 6th Gunner)

23. Drox (Rak’ta Male, 7th Gunner)

24. Zik (Rak’ta Male, 8th Gunner)

25. Busk (Chameleon Female, 9th Gunner)

26. Sein (Human Male Gunner)-KILLED; CULTIST

27. Bluurg (Grung Male, 1st Rigger)

28. Rax (Rak’ta Male, 2nd Rigger)

29. Shax (Tiefling Nonbinary, 3rd Rigger)

30. Deep Lake (Tabaxi Male, 4th Rigger)

31. Vix (Chameleon Female, 5th Rigger)

32. Ril (Aarakocra Male, 1st Striker)

33. Whistler (Kenku Female, 2nd Striker)

34. Fenel’zir (Githyanki Male, 3rd Striker)

35. Ux (Rak’ta Female, 4th Striker)

36. Eleonora (Female Elf Striker)-KILLED; SK

37. Fiver (Lapine Male, 1st Carpenter)

38. Zook (Rock Gnome Male, 2nd Carpenter)

39. OAK (Human Male, 3rd Carpenter)

40. JACK (Human Male, 4th Carpeneter)

41. Victor (Human Male, 1st Deckhand)-MIA

42. Gary (Human Male, 2nd Deckhand)-MIA

43. Crude (Chameleon Male, New Deckhand)

44. Grit (Chameleon Female, New Deckhand)

45. Dead-Armed Steve (Human Male, New Deckhand)

46. MICHAEL (Human Male, Master Chef)

47. Carlee (Halfing Female, Junior Chef)

48. BERN (Half-Elf Male, Master Bard)

49. Eilibis (Eladrin Female, Junior Bard)

50. Hugo (Aasimar Male, Ship’s Doctor)

51. ARNO (Changeling Nonbinary, Training Pilot and Weatherworker)

52. #73 (Doppelganger Nonbinary, ???)

[The rest are Captain Ari’s notes on the Guests aboard her ship, the notable of which include: Governor Mitchum and his Constance (accompanied by Pretty Kitty), Baron Reynard, David, Aaron, and Jared Edgar (The Governor’s Personal Guard), Iron Mike and Marlowe the Magnificent (the eccentric scholars in possession of the Map), and then 12 assorted Soldiers/Guards from Far Aeston and Villam (including 3 killed: two were cultists taken out by the Wild Bunch; 1 was murdered during the recent string of serial killings.]

[WHISPERED CURSE-BATTLE MAPS]
    #X- qn9vce7md9nb.jpg
    #1- c4ubdl8yjcx1.jpg
    #2- 0foshzu02scp.jpg
    #3- sg49zovdc90n.jpg
    #4- sv3fi87aazs2.jpg
    #5- h4xuhl62olhv.jpg
    #6- lph9b23g12z9.jpg
    #7- noi1y2sjod3e.jpg

mrpaku on
    edited September 2020
    WHO

- @AustinP0027 , Oak, Shifter Barbarian
    - @The Zombie Penguin , Irah Hullbreaker, Human Barbarian
    - @zekebeau - Arno, Changeling Druid
    - @Glal Jack, Longtooth Shifter Fighter
    - @Denada , Urixes, Tiefling Warlock
    - @Sleep Michael, Human Artificer (guest role)
    - @Endless_Serpents - Bern Huldrason, Half-Elf Bard (guest role)

mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Eyyyy. *bookmarks, reads*

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    “This be an ill omen.”, says a haggard old seadog.

He upturns his left boot, dropping the spider out of it. He puts it on and starts his afternoon.*

fwlt2q56h4b4.jpeg

*Not getting up in the morning is a perk of being a geriatric pirate.

I’m in.

Endless_Serpents on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    As a quick request can we use something other than that blue, I'm exclusively phone posting and that blue is near unreadable on mobile

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Got a character: https://ddb.ac/characters/35829256/HmwzGt

Changling Druid, wanderer and animal lover. Wants to see new land and new creatures.

Also, has the outlander background (so won't get lost), gust cantrip (can help in the doldrums), and goodberry (scurvy isn't fun, I want to keep my teeth).

I'll take some skrimshaw tools, I think there will be a lot of dolphin and whale themed carvings in the future.

edited September 2020
    @Sleep Ah! Yeah, in that case, go with red or whatever is easiest on the eyes (for the purple "I'm done here" as well). Just threw blue out there because it seems to be the standard, important part is the OOC: and (...)

edit- Let's go with limegreen, should pop out equally well on mobile phone and PC

mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm in!
    I'm in!

Endless's dive has gotten me super into wanting to play a full PbP

AustinP0027 on
    I'm in!
    I'm in!

Endless's dive has gotten me super into wanting to play a full PbP

You're in! :)
    And that should bring us to capacity

I'm half tempted to just bring Wylan into this game (though, I'm not sure Paladin on a ship makes the most sense in the setting)

Nalyw, the black hearted rogue Tiefling?

edited September 2020
    I’m thinking:
    Oak, the Beasthide Shifter barbarian.

Sailor background, so familiar with boats but we can talk about how familiar (not looking to have a sailing expert of years and years)

I’m most tied to being a Barb, so any of the rest that is a problem is easy to change.

Grabbed playing cards for an item. Everyone needs entertainment to pass those long voyages!

Building a new character. Will do a new post with it. Nevermind! Oak's a go.

AustinP0027 on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Excited for this! I'll start working on a character. Not sure what I want to roll yet; does anyone have a party role they want to claim?

edited September 2020
    I'm thinking Fighter for mine!

[edit] You know, between Longtooth Shifter and the Sailor background I'm glad Austin didn't completely preempt my character- at least my class is different! :D

Glal on
    @Denada looks like we'll have two barbarians for tank, and I'm a 2nd tier face (decieve and persuade) and jack of all trades. So we could use some brain, some sneak, or some healing focus.

@Glal I’m not tied to race or background at all, just want to finally play a Barbarian

If you want either (or both), I’m 100% fine changing. I love all the combinations so I’m not tied to any race or background.

No no, it's fine, I was just amused at the coincidence! :)

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Okay this is working out well, after enjoying a fighter for a bit I thought I might try a wizard. I don't think I've played one of those in 5E yet.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm in! I'll be bringing a barbarian who will be wild magic ing it up

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Bah. Now I'm not sure if I should change, to avoid doubling up with @AustinP0027

My plan is/was Irah, human barbarian. Taking the magic initiate feat to grab find familiar, Mage hand and minor illusion. Then taking Wild Magic as her primal path at level 3

@The Zombie Penguin Keep yours.

I'll switch classes.

Building a character is one of my favorite parts of D&D, so I'll just go back and relook through the options to build something new.

We have a fighter and a barb, so I'll look at something either rogue or magic user adjacent (not a wizard)

Thanks! I had my heart pretty set on Irah and picking up and throwing tables at everyone

edited September 2020
    Honestly mate the roleplaying aspect of a character can greatly differentiate two characters of the same class. We’ll soon forget who’s got the same class. It might even be a benefit for our DM to have one less class to get to grips with.

I see no reason why a pirate crew wouldn’t have a handful of barbaric warriors that get into berserker rages. Maybe PM them and pick a different weapon each though, just so your fighting descriptions are different.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    That's a good point. Oak was going to be the tanky type, so feels different than Wild Magic.

Sending you a PM Zombie Penguin.

Edit: We figured it out and are both playing Barbs.

I think we'll be fairly different in general pretty quickly.

AustinP0027 on
    @The Zombie Penguin have you thought on the type of animal your familiar will be yet?

Think I'm bringing a varient human artificer with the chef feat and the fisher background. I'll have to get it all together, but i work in the galley.

@zekebeau probably some sort of bird, likely using the owl stat block

Maybe I'll try convince @mrpaku it should be a Sea Raven from my Terra incognita setting (a type of big osprey/raven hybrid with four eyes).

Something that can watch my back and spot danger while I conjure up fake piles of gold

That sounds cool, though I feel obligated to point out the traditional options of parrot, monkey, and lobster.

And know that Arno will be constantly talking, playing, and sneaking treats to the familiar, what ever it is.

Sleep wrote: »
    Think I'm bringing a varient human artificer with the chef feat and the fisher background. I'll have to get it all together, but i work in the galley.

Just the feat/background combo is gold but in my head the fact that it is an artificer makes me think of some crazy speargun type fishing instead of the normal pole

Headed more alchemist.

zekebeau wrote: »
    That sounds cool, though I feel obligated to point out the traditional options of parrot, monkey, and lobster.

And know that Arno will be constantly talking, playing, and sneaking treats to the familiar, what ever it is.

If there's anything that can be said about me, it's that i dont normally go for hte "Tradtional" options.

Talking lobster would let me do muppets, but i think i'm going to stick with creepy predatory four eyed raven thing. My girl has a -1 in Wis, so the Sea Raven's job is to keep watch for her. Becuase, and i wanr you all now, if you tell her a chest is cursed, she's going to rip it open while yelling LETS FIGHT GHOSTS

So I guess this medicine training will come in handy for yall then.

Sleep wrote: »
    So I guess this medicine training will come in handy for yall then.

I'm resistant to physical damage when I'm raging.

Ghosts, as we all know, only do physical

edited May 2021
    Michael:

A human fisherman artificer
    The look
    gkwfe3l9nf4h.jpg

The facts and figures:
    Level 5 artificer

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 10

Saves: Con and Int

Skill Proficiencies:
    Nature
    History
    Survival
    Arcana
    Medicine

Tool Proficiencies:
    Cooks Utensils
    Thieves' Tools
    Tinker's Tools
    Herbalism Kit
    Alchemist's supplies
    Poisoner's Kit

Armor Proficiencies:
    Light armor
    Medium armor
    Shields

Weapon Proficiencies:
    Simple weapons

Features:
    Chef
    Fishing Tale
    Harvest the Water
    Magical Tinkering
    Spellcasting
    Infuse Item
    The Right Tool For The Job
    Tool Proficiency (Alchemists Supplies)
    Alchemist Spells
    Experimental Elixer
    Feat(Poisoner)
    Alchemical Savant

Equipment: Fishing tackle, a net, oiled leather wading boots, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a belt pouch.  cooks utensils, herbalism kit, 40 flasks. Boomerang, Dagger x2, a light crossbow and 20 bolts, studded leather armor, thieves’ tools and a dungeoneer’s pack ( Includes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.) Assassin's Blood.

Poison doses: 3

Power bars: 17

Infusions:
    Known:
    Enhanced Arcane Focus
    Enhanced Defense
    Replicate Item (Alchemy Jug)
    Returning Weapon

Infused:
    Enhanced Arcane Focus
    Returning Weapon

Spells:

Cantrips:
    Firebolt
    Mending

1st (4 slots) usually packing:
    Alarm
    Cure Wounds
    Grease
    Purify Food and Drink
    Healing Word
    Ray of Sickness

2nd (2 slots) usually packing:
    Flaming sphere
    Melf's acid arrow

HP 44
    AC 14

Sleep on
    I love building characters. But I also finish, look them over and go "...but what if I build it entirely differently instead?", over and over. The fun never stops if you never finish, right?

Glal wrote: »
    I love building characters. But I also finish, look them over and go "...but what if I build it entirely differently instead?", over and over. The fun never stops if you never finish, right?

It's true!

Looking at what we've got right now, the thing we really seem to be missing is some ranged blasty goodness. A Warlock, Sorcerer, Light domain cleric, or simialr would be a good fit. Particurly as we're also not huge on party face stuff (Or at least, i will not be relying on Endless's lad for it, and my version of intimidate is going to be grabbing pieces of the scenery and using them for Strength + Intimidate rolls. Because i'm helpful)

I'm not married to Fighter and with two Barbs it feels like we have melee brick pretty well covered so I'm happy to look into range blasty instead. I've never played any of those three before, either (primarily because I was too busy slutting around with my Bard).

Oh, wait, i missed you'd wanted to go Fighter. Sorry!

Fighter's actually super fine for going range as well - you can grab a bow and be good with that. Or just grab javelins and go IN on making things regret the fact they're now sprouting multiple big heavy wood shafts.

It's simialr to slutting around with a bard, right?

Roger roger, shall stick with Fighter for now then. And sort of keep this Sorc sheet on the side, just in case.

edited September 2020
    I mean worst case scenario is we get to do things like "There's one enemy, 3 of us, and we all ahve good strength scores. Let's grab a bit of the monster and run in different directions"

Monster: Wellshitface.exe

The Zombie Penguin on