[D&D 5E] "The Curse"- Villam

1121315171826

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack yelps and leans away from the snapping jaws, staring incredulously at the head poking out of the man's chest. "Whoah! The heck is that?? ...okay, you need a stabbing even more now." Gripping his rapier more firmly he slash-slash-slashes at the biting maw, sort of keeping himself as far away from it as possible.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Rapier
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Rapier Damage

    He twitches nervously at the touch on his shoulder, then relaxes, the sensation of Reynard's magics coursing trough his body, "Oh! Thanks buddy!"

    Rapier:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]
    Rapier Damage:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [ Jack's slashes paint the cultist's skin...what happens next is not for the faint of heart. Sein, slowly sinking to his knees, begins to swell and expand unnaturally. With a final sickening shudder, the man splits apart. From out of the remains, a swarm of tiny, neon purple snakes writhe and emerge...]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Jasper and Bobby's howl and hiss as their ally comes physically undone and their true nature is revealed.

    All pretense of humanity dropped, Jasper let's the knife fall and jumps to grab Oak around the throat...

    From out of the Poisonous Cloud, a hissing Bobby jumps out of the cloud and onto the table (just West of Oak), summoning a spectral longsword into his hand as he does, which he proceeds to hurls across the room at Urixes!

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for "Bad Touch Oak"
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for "Sword Toss Urixes"

    "Bad Touch Oak":
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]
    "Sword Toss Urixes":
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Jasper missed his grab! Bobby missed his throw! The tiny pile of purple snakes that used to make up Sein begin to rise up angrily from the corpse, jaws snapping...]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The fight has turned frantic, and Oak fends off hands reaching for his throat. It's time to put down this threat, so they can contain whatever these creatures actually are before they do too much damage to the ship. It was going to leave an opening for a return attack, but Oak struck down with all his strength onto Jasper.

    OOC: Using Reckless Strike, so they'll have advantage against me next turn.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack 1
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack 2
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Damage

    Attack 1:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    Attack 2:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    Damage:
    1d8+5 12 [1d8=7]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 19
    [ Oak drives his sword home into Jasper's head...and the sword continues almost unhindered through the man, rendering him utterly. As the inert pile collapses, the purple snakes can be seen wriggling amongst the falling ruins... ]

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    From the side Oak can hear Jack muttering "Ew ew ew ew ew ew..."

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Next..." Urixes growls, turning his gaze to Bobby.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Eldritch Blast
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Gentle Caress of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Cold Damage

    Eldritch Blast:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 8 [1d10=5]
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Cold Damage:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Urixes's summoned tentacle pins Bobby from underneath the table, wrapping around his chest and sending noticeable ripples of frost along his skin. As the tentacle pins him, the blast of Eldritch current rips and tears at his person...]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The neon purples snakes rise as a group from Sein's body...and angrily swarm towards Arno...

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for "Why'd it have to be snakes?"

    "Why'd it have to be snakes?":
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Do swarms provoke opportunity attacks? Sein was adjacent to Jack))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    OOC: Yes! Note: On additional reading, mainly because it's a swarm..it could be considered to be occupying (while also sort of spilling out of) Arno's space, so I'm gonna allow it! Poisonous Snake Swarm AC(13)

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno watches the ripping flesh and sloughed off skin and can't help but feel... elated! This is amazing, never before seen creature behavior. What even are these? When did they put on the human suit? Imagine this swarm of snake things applying for this job, chatting and grabbing drinks with friends. Finding love? What a full and... Ah! Ahhhhhh!

    Cast Frostbite dc 13 con

    Geth roll 1d20+1 nature-wtf

    nature-wtf:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Arno will never know the full potential of this particular clutch of snakes, as the cold snap quickly and immediately ends their lives]

    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OCC: That 16 wasn't damage @mrpaku it was a knowledge roll to glean some information on these gross weirdos. I didn't roll the damage yet, it's 1d6 cold on a failed save.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    OOC: Ah, apologies! During school days are when I'm most able to check in, but least able to focus, so I appreciate the corrections!

    Damage is also not necessary in this situation- These snakes are incredibly fragile outside their host, and the hint of a cold snap was enough to finish them off

    What Arno Knows:
    This is a highly unique breed, something you haven't really ever encountered before. They are obviously very poisonous. You can see that the group acts as one in a highly irregular way, as though operating through a shared brain. While inside their hosts, the snakes were mostly interested in lying dormant and subtly exerting themself as a sort of sentient parasite. Once outside, the group holds itself together with considerably more effort... individual snakes cut off from the total group lose their malevolence and aggression, seem to return to their primal nature. One more fact you keep bumping against: you could swear these snakes didn't belong to this place...

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Ew ew ew, DIE!" He half-turns his head away, squints and stabs in the general direction of the retreating swarm.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Rapier OA
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Rapier Damage

    Rapier OA:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]
    Rapier Damage:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    [The swarm of snakes which descended upon Arno had been completely vanquished!]

    Reynard pushes himself off from Jack with an effort. "Can't leave all...urrrkk....cough cough cough, can't leave ALL the excitement to you fine fellows!" He stumbles across the room towards where Bobby stands atop the table, in the midst of recovering from Urixes's onslaught. Reynard pushes himself forward on the cane...which he suddenly unsheathes into a blade at the very last second, swinging at Bobby's leg...

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Reynard's Swipe

    Reynard's Swipe:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    Geth roll 1d8+2 for Damage

    [Bobby takes the blade to the leg without flinching, but he looks rough, and the snakes can be seen coursing through him...]

    Damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Bobby looks down at the sword sticking from his leg and gives a mortifying chuckle. His head swivels menacingly in the other direction towards Oak. He leaps from the table, arms outstretched...

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for "Sickening Grab"
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for "Sickening Grab" Advantage

    "Sickening Grab":
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]
    "Sickening Grab" Advantage:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    The snakes that once made up Jasper gather and bite at Oak's ankles...

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Ankle Biters

    [Oak is next in the Initiative Order, when he is ready!]

    Ankle Biters:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    Everyone suddenly came at Oak at once, which is exactly what he wanted. He released a guttural laugh at they attacked him. "Yes. Yes! More! Fight me you cowards!" a bestial smile covered his face, fangs exposed in glee as he lost himself in the battle. Having dropped Jasper, he turns and swings at Bobby who had closed in. The fool had come to him, and now it was time to punish that.

    OOC:Geth decided Oak had gotten too cocky....

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Damage

    Attack:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    Damage:
    1d8+5 10 [1d8=5]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "I gotcha, I gotcha!" Hesitant to go into melee with more snakes he pulls out his longbow, holding it tilted to fit it in the cramped room. This is -not- an indoor weapon. He mutters to himself under his breath "I apologise in advance if this hits you..."

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Longbow That Won't Hit Oak (at Bobby)
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Longbow Damage

    Longbow That Won't Hit Oak (at Bobby):
    1d20+6 20 [1d20=14]
    Longbow Damage:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [The crossbow bolt comes within inches of Oak...and whizzes by, sinks into Bobby's arm and then torso. Bobby's falls sideways and hits the floor, exploding into the now familiar writhing mass...]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak briefly turns back to Jack as a bolt whizzes by his face. He doesn't say anything, but just stares for a moment.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack lifts his free hand and waves, smiling, "You're welcome, mate!" There's not a trace of sarcasm in his expression.

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOC: Are they all snake piles now?

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: One Jasper and one Bobby snake pile, I believe. Step on them, do some tapdancin'!))

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Snakes. I actually quite like snakes," Urixes says as he extends his hands again, finally splitting his attention between the last two targets. "These are an exception."

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Eldritch Blast.
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Grasp of the Deep.
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Cold Damage

    Eldritch Blast:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 4 [1d10=1]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    Cold Damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    [ That is gonna be *plenty*- the Eldritch blast destroys the one, the hint of cold destroys the other. The final snake falls still. The battle is over! For defeating the Fanatics and successfully protecting Reynard, everyone in the group gains 350 experience! ]

    Hugo, Michael, Gary and Victor *bust* in from the other side of the door nearly as soon as you’ve cleared the cabinet out of the way. Everyone who just arrived looks in shock at the grisly sight before them. Before too much time has passed, Hugo has rushed to drag Reynard back to his table, and quickly barks out orders to the deckhands in tow. Gary and Victor rush out again and return with brooms, which they use to bat the air at the Stinking Cloud in the corner of the room, quickly clearing it. Hugo is in the process of checking Reynard’s breathing again (which you notice has slowly become raspy and labored, without his additional acting talent). Hugo looks again at the ruined room, and then your group. “So. What the hell just happened in here?”

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    As the last of the snakes gets squished, Oak spins around the room looking for another foe. Finding only allies, he backs up to a wall, huffing air as he slowly allows his breath to soften. It takes a few moments, but his appearance shifts, slightly at first, then suddenly, his grisly face shifting to be a bit softer but still beastly. He eventually helps to move the cabinet as other crewmembers come rushing.

    "Damned snakes. Somehow inside bodies. Nasty crew."

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Using gust to help Gary and Victor push out the cloud, Arno nonchalantly remarks

    "A bunch of snakes in human suits tried to kill Reynard, but we stopped them. They are likely working for Pretty Kitty. I would recommend checking the entire crew for humanoid status, we don't know how many are actually piles of snakes, and we can't be by Reynard's side all the time. Also, a closer eye should be kept on the cat so she doesn't send more minions."

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Persuade that I'm 100% serious

    Persuade that I'm 100% serious:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    Hugo hears what Arno says, digests it internally.... and then rolls his eyes at the bit about the cat, while he gets back to treating his patient. But Victor and Gary huddle off and break into a vigorous and spirited discussion in the corner they've just cleared out. You hear phrases like "we told you!", "weirder than this, even!", and "can't trust a cat!". Looking out momentarily from the huddle, Gary makes eye contact with Arno and nods once...the nod of a person that, *also*, gets it

    mrpaku on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 21
    Michael

    Michael, pulling up the rear of the group busting in, is armed with a platter of shrimp shumai in one hand, and a pitcher of some greenish concoction in the other.

    "We were making these over in the galley before the ship was beset. There's battle damage all over the ship it would seem."

    He offers some shumai to everyone in the room.

    "Carlee made the drink, it's sweet, but if your into that kind of thing it's fairly good". Setting the tray and pitcher somewhere that doesn't contain a patient, he removes a ceramic jug slung over his shoulder, "this however has beer in it". He sets the food out and goes about the room using the mending cantrip to fix anything around the room that may have gotten scuffed up or broken in the battle

    "You say the cat sent them? That is fascinating", he pulls out his little notebook, and marks a few things down before returning to fixing up the room.

    Sleep on
    mrpaku
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    OOC: if y'all are getting a short rest here anyone that takes shumai (up to 6 people) add 1d8 to any hit dice you spend on that short rest.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak walks over to Michael, taking the ceramic jug and pour its contents into a cup, taking a long draught as Arno chatters along. He didn't have thoughts on whatever cat was being discussed, so instead he walks back to the bodies that were split that the snakes came out of, searching through pockets to perhaps discover what they might have been doing before they decided to attack Reynald.

    OOC:Assuming Investigation check here, but if not can roll something else.

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for What's in dem pockets

    What's in dem pockets:
    1d20-1 12 [1d20=13]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Victor and Gary immediately abandon their posts to begin consuming shrimp. Hugo, currently checking Reynard and only slightly annoyed at this point, announces for yet another-time to Michael, "Michael, we've talked about this...you can't bring food into the..." Victor daringly shoves a bit of shumai in his mouth...Hugo gives him a sour look, but continues chewing...

    [Michael and Carlee cook up *literal miracles* inside The Ship's kitchen. See them before major excursions from the ship, for Major healing/possible stat benefits/absolutely delicious home-cooking]


    Oak finds 25 GP in the pockets of the Snake Gang, and also a very roughly sketched note, containing the following names, in this order:

    - Reynard
    - Marlowe
    - Derbin
    - Arno
    - Urixes

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak clears his throat to interrupt the room. "Seems like someone might want to check on these folks. " He holds the note up in the air. "Three of the names are in this room, but two of them aren't and someone should check"

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Michael looks up from the stool he's repairing, "I'm sure the captain would have at least a passing interest in that list"

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno slides over next to Gary, grabbing some shrimp in both hands.

    "I heard an I told you so. Have you seen these types of creatures before? What do they want? Do they communicate through conch shells? [occ: Arno tells Gary about what he's seen, wondering why they were egging Constance to eat, and how the Governor got a conch shell message that caused a rage. Also, that Pretty kitty is a "cat" in parentheses only, it seems not of here, much like the snakes.]

    "I seem to be 4th on the list. Pretty kitty must not realize how much I know."

Sign In or Register to comment.