[D&D 5E] "The Curse"- Villam

1131416181927

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Hmm," Urixes grunts, his arms crossed as he scowls at the list. "I don't like this. First the Koh Toa, now transforming traitors. There's more than meets the eye here."

    He takes some food and a long drink of beer. "I'm staying with Reynard. It appears we both need the protection. And I have more questions." He casts a glance at Hugo. "When he's rested, of course."

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack looks around, eyes scanning the room. Any more snakes? No? Good. He sighs audibly, relaxing for a mere second before the door bursts open makes him jump once more. Can no one on this ship knock??

    Having zero interest in prodding through the snake-covered remains for clues he retrieves his dropped weapons and sits heavily on an unoccupied infirmary bed, wiping his rapier clean on its covers. Gotta be sanitary.

    Oh, food! Michael is talking Jack's language, he'd been hungry ever since they killed but didn't eat those fishmen. He ignores the chatter and joins Victor and Gary in demolishing the shrimp, taking a swig of the sweet drink. "Dhis ish delishus!" he sprays in Michael's direction, but is otherwise content to listen to others talk as he stuffs himself; wolf has to have his priorities straight and you never refuse a meal in front of you.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 21
    [ Everyone can be assumed to have taken a Long Rest, and is again at full health and wellness! ]

    The next few days go by mostly without incident. You slip almost effortlessly into your assigned duties aboard ship, and the day to day life of a sailor. Many is the pirate who hails you in good cheer and congratulates you for your daring that day at Arnishian Rock, (and then again later, locked in Hugo’s Office with the Fanatics). However, there are more than a few groups you go by who give you dark looks, who whisper foul things amongst themselves when they think you can’t hear.

    Hugo, after about a day of reading, has been going around doing checks to everyone in the crew. The ”checks” mainly seem to involve poking a crewman with a large needle in the shoulder, while they dunk their left hand in a bowl of ice, and Hugo shines a light in their eyes (“I don’t know what you people expect from me…snakes wearing people was very much not a part of my training…”). Captain Arabella has set the four of you as a sort of rotating guard to watch Reynard on your off-duty hours (although, you suspect it’s also a sort of buddy-system for protecting and keeping close the people found on the List).

    The journey to Villam is beautiful; calming. You are to arrive there the next day. But the night before, a person aboard ship requests your presence after hours, in private…


    ARNO

    Arno has been called up to the Ship’s Wheel by the Pilot and the Ship’s Artist.

    Derbin, the Ship’s Pilot , is a middle aged, rather handsome Dwarven male. He is brash, confident, and dashing. This dwarf could describe to you every board and every rivet that makes up The Whispered Curse. He is also *surprisingly* personable! At one point or another, Derbin has made it a point to meet every single person aboard this ship.

    Refi, the Ship’s Artist (ie Resident Navigator/Loremaster), is a middle aged, rather extravagantly dressed Gnome female. She is highly knowledgeable on all matters, keen to the faults in others at all times, and *mostly* insufferable to be around.

    These two are a key component of the ship’s workings, and are almost always to be seen around the Wheel during the day. They usually have a third companion with them who is not there this particular evening…a female Firbolg, named Magna.

    “Well hey!” says Derbin as Arno approaches the Ship’s Wheel that night. “*Here they are!* Glad you could make it! Heard you were on that kill-list too! Didn’t get my high-score though, eh?” Refi has her arms crossed and is observing you with microscopic precision; she says nothing.


    JACK

    Jack has been called by no-one this evening, because “Lucky Jack” has become a bit of a “thing”. The Fox Gang all approached him a couple days ago, hoping to entice him…but were then collectively put off by his over-friendly demeanor, and inability to understand nuance. Many of the crewman are actively derisive towards him, and outside of the Wild Bunch, even friendly crewman treat him as though he is a bit silly at best. The exceptions to this, strangely, are the Captain and Quartermaster, who tolerate no abuse of Jack (when they are within earshot), and defend him tirelessly (almost to the point of suspicion).

    Maybe this is why Jack sits on the railing this evening, alone, staring out over the ocean. The night sky is clear, the wind is brisk but refreshing, and the temperature is just about to go from comfortable to cold. Jack hears a sudden, almost casual question come into his head; as though a stranger had come to sit next to him in a bar, and was making a stalled attempt at conversation:

    “Yourenevernotsmiling,” the deep, booming voice says inside Jack’s head. “…IdontunderstandIleftthemtogetawayGETAWAYbecausetheyALLandyougostayandyouloveit…how…are…you?
    qqv4k3n1h1jd.png


    OAK

    Oak has been called to the Captain’s Private Quarters this evening. As you arrive, you see that Captain Arabella sits across from you in an expensive, elaborately carven redwood chair. *Incredibly* complicated charts lay out on the desk between you two. Captain Arabella, a consummate and proud professional as you’ve observed her so far, appears to be a few cups deep this evening. She notes your entrance by pouring you a drink of your own, which she slides across the desk in your direction.

    She sighs deeply as you finally sit. “…Thank you, for coming. I’m assuming you know why I called you here tonight?”


    URIXES

    Urixes is on-shift in Hugo’s Office, watching over Reynard when he finally comes to again. Urixes recognizes the soft, kind chuckle almost immediately. The Gentleman has been on the cusp and struggling these last few days…as he speaks now, you can hear health slowly returning to him.

    “…You must’ve though I was sweet on you, eh? That first day on the docks? *cough cough cough* I apologize for my…nature, but I didn’t know how else to approach you. I…saw you in a dream, before I saw you. The ocean was crashing down and taking me, taking all of us. And you….told it *no*. I understand, how ridiculous this all sounds….”

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Not as ridiculous as you might think," Urixes says, staring into the middle distance. "The sea and I ... have a connection. I can hear its call, and it hears mine. I've always been drawn to the deep. The ocean is my destiny." He looks down at Reynard. "Perhaps I'm not the only one."

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The events of days prior weren't the type of thing that you easily forget, but Oak found that if he laid himself into his duties, he could get through the day without thinking too hard about what he had seen. The whispers of the crew didn't bother him, he could let their gaze roll off his back without a second thought. He couldn't avoid thinking of it while he took his shift to guard Reynard though. It wasn't a surprise when the Captain called him into her quarters.

    Oak walks in and takes a seat, wrapping his hand around the cup. His eyes catch the charts in between, things he wouldn't understand. "I have a good hunch, but let's just say it out loud so there can be no confusion between us."

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Maybe this is why Jack sits on the railing this evening, alone, staring out over the ocean. The night sky is clear, the wind is brisk but refreshing, and the temperature is just about to go from comfortable to cold. Jack hears a sudden, almost casual question come into his head; as though a stranger had come to sit next to him in a bar, and was making a stalled attempt at conversation:

    “Yourenevernotsmiling,” the deep, booming voice says inside Jack’s head. “…IdontunderstandIleftthemtogetawayGETAWAYbecausetheyALLandyougostayandyouloveit…how…are…you?
    Jack watches the horizon, eyes tracing the line where the stars turn to ocean, turning his head to take it all in, the vastness of the ocean surrounding them. Sometimes there are perks to being cursed, this is not a sight meant for wolves.

    At the voice he gives a nervous jolt! and freezes in place, just catching himself from going over, fingernails digging into the railing. Caaaaaareful sit back. It's been years since someone snuck up on him! He looks around, looks puzzled, looks up, glances down the side of the ship. Huh.

    "Hello... ship. You know, I always imagined you as having a feminine voice? I mean, I'm pretty good! Glad to hear you're not still mad at me." He mentally checks off another sailor superstition as correct. It's a very long list, he took most of them at face value to start with.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    URIXES

    Classified: FOR URIXES'S EYES ONLY
    NO, BUT SERIOUSLY, THIS INFO IS FOR DENADA/URIXES EXCLUSIVELY
    (All Pretense is dropped- the voice and man who talks to you next does *not* sound like Baron Reynard, at least, NOT as you know him. It turns out, this man's acting ability is *incredibly exceptional*...

    "*Thirty years*..." The strangely (now) unaffected voice says. He looks at you fully, as if for the first time. You see tears sitting in the corners of his eyes "I've spent thirty y...but, it doesn't matter, now....*I* was the last one, and It left me a task...The Expanse did. Something is...happening again... something we prevented *last time*. I've spent thirty years...but at every *fucking* turn something has popped up to *fuck* me." The new man you have met sobs with guilt for an uncomfortable amount of time.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OAK

    Captain Ari nods in understanding, then takes a swig from her drink before she begins:

    "... I'm not gonna pretend, for even an instant, that I'm not a *fan*. A lot of the vets here are! But...you guys...the Wild Bunch...have also brought a lot of negative attention to yourselves. They haven't shut up the fuck up about Jack's...finger?, fuck...the finger chopping night? And that one guy's arm...*you* know what I mean..." Captain Ari goes to fill her drink again.

    "...now, normally, usually, this wouldn't be a part of your responsibility. But something..." Captain Ari laughs strangely, but comfortingly. "...I know Pirates, sir, and you are not first and foremost a pirate. You *care* about these poor suckers, don't you?" Captain Ari sips her drink, sits and awaits your answer.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    JACK
    Glal wrote:
    "Hello... ship. You know, I always imagined you as having a feminine voice? I mean, I'm pretty good! Glad to hear you're not still mad at me." He mentally checks off another sailor superstition as correct. It's a very long list, he took most of them at face value to start with.

    "...Foolboyiamnotheship...Iride alongsideyouhavebeenwacthingyou...Iswimintheoceannexttoyou...yourshipisfulltobrimofpretendersbutnotyouOHNOyoudontpretendneverfaking..."

    "...wasnnaealwaysafishbutalwaywescapingyesALWAYS...imadechoicetohideherebutyouhidethereitdoesnotmakesenseandconfusesmewhywhyWHYWHY." Sudden waves begin to rock the starboard side of the Whispered Curse...

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack cants his head, listening, then grasps the railing firmly and leans forward, trying to see this fish that's talking in his head, right on cue for the waves to near dislodge him.
    "Whoop!" He pulls back and, after a thought, puts a leg over the other side of the railing so he's riding it. That's enough tempting chance on tumbling over for one night.

    "You're a fish? Huh. I wonder how that feels, I've only been a wolf..." Too late he catches himself, looks around, then lowers his voice, "...a wolf and a man. Well. And the in between."

    It's like his mind is processing sentences one by one and he needs to reply to them in order, lest he forget the start. "Why are you hiding?" Gasp! Sympathetic. "Did a hag chase you with a broom?"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak stays silent for a moment, eyes drawn down to the cup in his hand as he slowly swirls the drink inside. Finally, he looks up at the Captain. "I've not had an easy go of it. But, I've taken my lumps, and I've kept moving forward, as yer supposed to. I can handle that, and I don't ask no one else to carry my weight."

    "I signed on this crew, and I will do my job the best I can. But those lads haven't gotten a fair shake. Arno and Urixes, they found themselves on that list that Reynald was on. And Jack, well, I'm sure I don't need to explain Jack to you. All three of 'em need someone looking out for them now, and I've taken that responsibility on. "

    Oak stares the captain dead in the eyes, his face growing harder, and his bear nature rising more to the surface. "I only have two rules in life. I don't skirt responsibility, and I won't back down from a fight. Anyone thinks they're going to challenge these lads, they'll find out right quick how seriously I treat them rules."

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    JACK

    The strangely glimmering, giant whale, which Jack can see nearby the Ship if he peers through the waves at just the right angle, gives a vigorous shake to its head. The subsequent waves arrive to gently shake the Curse shortly afterwards.

    "IleftescapedITWASbeingamanbecametoomuchTOOMUCHcametoswimhereforeverANDEVER". You can see the strangely colored whale turn it's head towards you, beneath the waves. "WillbewatchingJackyouareagoodboyagoodboyiwillhelpyouificanyouremindme"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Ooooh, BIG fish. Jack had heard of whales, but never seen one before, however he had assumed sailors had been exaggerating on that account. They had not.

    "Well, I can't say I want to live among men." Pause, "But I also can't say I dislike them. I've met idiots, but I've also met many friends!" He grins and nods at the sea, swaying on the railing, "Some of the people on this ship saw what I was and still helped me, how nice is that?"

    Legs holding the railing he raises a hand and waves, "Well, be seeing ya'! Enjoy your swim!" He watches the whale until he can see the shape no more, then hops off the railing and heads back. Well don't that beat all, a talking fish, thinks the talking wolf.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "No, but we're still early on this mission. So far I've been having a lot of fun. Got to name an island, fight some fish, discover a new type of person wearing snake, and am currently working on the mystery of a cat that isn't. And we've barely left port! So yeah, a good run.

    Any idea why you got on the list? Reynard is a big deal, and we've been lumped in with him, but I'm not sure about you. Did you also promise to help him not die? I mean, not die on this trip, after all we all die sooner or later. Don't want to help anyone be a lich, those are scary."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Last time..." Urixes says, not trying to hide being caught off guard by Reynard's sudden change. "There ... have been several. Yes. I've been there. Been here. The Expanse. It always calls me. This sea, this ship. Tell me Reynard, have we met before? I mean, before we met?"

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    JACK

    Jack has drawn the strange attention of Unelle, the Celestial Whale. She'll be keeping an eye on you out here now...


    OAK

    Captain Ari's eyes shine at Oak's response. She nods (as much to herself as to Oak), and takes another drink. "Just as I thought," she says, with a small laugh. "... and they'll need it out here. *Jack especially*.....I can't watch out for you as I'd like to, not without bringing you all more attention than you already have. I feel like you people are being used as unwitting pawns in whatever is happening here. But you...yeah, knowing you are looking out for them, that might let me sleep better at night. You...the rest of the Wild Bunch...you're not the regular pack of fucks we hire on every six months. I want you to know that. I appreciate...when I've found something special."

    Captain Ari begins rooting around in a desk behind her. She quickly finds what she is looking for, and pushes it over to Oak. "...here. I've been saving this for someone like you. Consider it a token of my appreciation...for keeping an eye on them. You don't strike me as the natural leader type...but, maybe you will be."
    Captain Arabella has handed you a Tome of Leadership and Influence-
    This book contains guidelines for influencing and charming others, and its words are charged with magic. If you spend 48 hours over a period of 6 days or fewer studying the book's contents and practicing its guidelines, your Charisma score increases by 2, as does your maximum for that score. The manual then loses its magic, but regains it in a century.

    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO

    Derbin finds Arno charming. He laughs heartily at your description of the cat, and your mention of Lichs.

    Derbin yanks at his beard aggressively as he thinks on Arno's question. "...ya know, I don't know? Reynard, you lot, Marlowe...all know magic, right? Me? Never had an affinity for the stuff, whole concept just," he mimes a concept hitting his head and bouncing completely off. "I mean...if there's a list and they wanna kill magicians...Refi's right here, yeah? Why not kill her?" The acidic look Refi shoots Derbin suggests that this conversation has happened between them before.

    "...so, I don't know what they wanted...seemed like nice blokes when I met them! But weren't even blokes, I guess. And I've known Reynard, but only as, you know... "famous rich fella". Never met him before this trip."

    "Anyways... you're probably wondering why we called you out here, right?" Derbin shoots you a roguish grin. "... how'd you like to learn how to guide this Baby? We've been needing to train some backups, and you have come highly recommended. I hear you understand Sway."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    "Last time..." Urixes says, not trying to hide being caught off guard by Reynard's sudden change. "There ... have been several. Yes. I've been there. Been here. The Expanse. It always calls me. This sea, this ship. Tell me Reynard, have we met before? I mean, before we met?"
    Your words ring home through this man's sorrowful remembrance. He looks up at you in shock recognition through his tears, and repeats the following phrase as though in a trance:

    ""I, wretched and sorrowful on the ice-cold sea, dwelt for a Winter in the Paths of Exile. Bereft of friendly kinsman, hung about with icicles.""

    "...I met a Tiefling once, on a far distant shore...a lifetime ago now. He told me those words. He said...I would have to, remind him of those words again, in time. I didn't understand what he meant, he was...it was a very difficult time. He didnt look like you, not exactly. But still...the familiarity...when I met you that day at the Docks, it felt like running into an old friend...But, that can't have been you. Right? I mean, he...". Reynard trails off, lost, as if in a painful memory.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak takes the book, not expecting to receive something from the Captain, but grateful all the same. "It's 'preciated Captain. You can count on me to keep 'em safe. You got enough to worry bout with the rest of the ship, I can handle our little group."

    Oak looks down at the book, taking in the cover, curious to the contents. He wasn't a leader but maybe that wasn't exactly what their group needed anyways. Perhaps instead they just needed someone they could depend on when they really needed to, and that was something that Oak felt more confident he could do.

    "Anything else you need from me Captain? Might head back to my bunk and get started on this."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OAK

    "That'll be all, Oak!...You do that, but don't stay up too late now...we arrive at Villam tomorrow, high noon-ish. We'll have a full week and a half on shore where you can read up...the Narrow Maw doesn't swing around until then, so...*we* get some downtime! Keep an eye on them all while we're there, as best you can...the Governor keeps a token standing force there, nothing we couldn't...handle, if we absolutely had to. The Lizardfolk are of more concern, but honestly...this is a bit of a vacation before the real fun starts. Go get some rest, yeah,?"

    Oak has earned the confidence of Captain Arabella

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited October 22
    9t11gitc8ds8.png
    Arno is clearly excited.

    zekebeau on
    mrpakuGlalAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO

    Derbin claps in delight at Arno's enthusiasm. "Perfect! I knew you'd be the one! Now, Sway..."

    Refi finally speaks up. "Not this again. Why do you insist on doing this every time?" She turns to Arno. "He's about to fill your head with nonsense, you know."

    Derbin scoffs at Refi's interference. "...her! Don't mind her. *Now*, Sway is the basic way in which all of the known universe functions. If you can see it, you can pull the levers of reality itself, make it do things! You ever throw a rock into a pool, watch the ripples? Now, we're *all* rocks...but only people with Sway can see the ripples, get it? The world moves us, but we move the world. You'll see that!...more and more as you learn out here."

    "Your quasi-religious claptrap is a fat load of crap, and it won't help them learn how to steer the ship. Do you want to maybe start with something useful?"

    Derbin suddenly remembers something. "...oh, right, that! So..." He reaches down to a compartment just behind the Ship's Wheel, unlocks it, and swings it open. You can see inside the compartment that the wheel mechanism is connected to a cage, and the cage contains a unique, glimmering rock. "*The Lodestone!* This thing keeps us whole out here. In a manner of speaking, it's the Heart of the Ship. You wanna come out to the Expanse in a canoe for a picnic? Friend, you'll be lucky to come back twenty years later, not remembering who you are! The Expanse is a bubble, that protects this place from the World, right? Well, the Lodestone makes the bubble that protects us from the Expanse!"

    Refi directly addresses Arno. "Weather. We heard you have a bit of a talent with the weather, is that correct?"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: I for one am shocked, shocked they wouldn't trust Jack with the ship!))

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Giving Urixes and Arno room to wrap up their conversations if they'd like, but should be updating to Villam later today! Possibly before @Glal calls it a day, but I don't want to promise anything (it's currently in a losing competition with "school/lunch/doctor")

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    "Last time..." Urixes says, not trying to hide being caught off guard by Reynard's sudden change. "There ... have been several. Yes. I've been there. Been here. The Expanse. It always calls me. This sea, this ship. Tell me Reynard, have we met before? I mean, before we met?"
    Your words ring home through this man's sorrowful remembrance. He looks up at you in shock recognition through his tears, and repeats the following phrase as though in a trance:

    ""I, wretched and sorrowful on the ice-cold sea, dwelt for a Winter in the Paths of Exile. Bereft of friendly kinsman, hung about with icicles.""

    "...I met a Tiefling once, on a far distant shore...a lifetime ago now. He told me those words. He said...I would have to, remind him of those words again, in time. I didn't understand what he meant, he was...it was a very difficult time. He didnt look like you, not exactly. But still...the familiarity...when I met you that day at the Docks, it felt like running into an old friend...But, that can't have been you. Right? I mean, he...". Reynard trails off, lost, as if in a painful memory.
    "Died?" Urixes looks down, shadows darkening his face. "Yes. The memories are ... murky. Dark and churning, and cold. I suppose you could say I'm haunted, Reynard, much as you seem to be, by a past that is at once mine and not mine." He places a hand on Reynard's arm, though he's not particularly good at being reassuring. "I think it's good that we are on this ship again. Perhaps this time will be different."

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Urixes and Reynard now share a Dread Secret

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 22
    VILLAM

    The call for sighted land goes out shortly before noon the next day. A dot of green in the distance comes closer, and closer…

    5g5a1o08edjo.png

    Villam is a large island with very few markers of “proper” civilization. It is summer here now. The southern and western sides of the island are mostly a steeply raised semi-mountainous region, which is covered almost entirely with a massive Temperate Coniferous Forest.

    The northern end of the island is most prominent for three giant, massive boulders. They jut out at strange angles, nooks and crannies here and there still containing pockets of snow. These gargantuan boulders at their peaks can overlook the whole of the island, and are collectively referred to as the North Claw. The Manager’s large, rustic cabin also sits here on the Northern Coast.

    The center of the island is composed almost entirely of carefully maintained swampland and basic farmland, covered at intervals by large shade trees. The water which melts down from the Northern Coast and the North Claw flows to rough but effective runoff ditches, which subsequently maintains the swamplands, and does a lot to water the crops during the Spring and Summer. Nearby the swamp/farmlands, Lizardfok make a seasonal home of a partially cleared swampy forest (some rough planks have been laid across some of the swampier areas, out of respect for the Manager.)

    The runoff ditches empty out on the eastern coast, which is mainly rough beach after the farmlands. It’s at the northeast end of the island that the one large dock sits, and a ship you recognize as a transport vessel from Far Aeston. The Whispered Curse pulls in and drops anchor.

    ---

    The Wild Bunch has (quietly) already been granted their leave by the Captain. Your group is free to relax and do as they will, once you get Reynard safely ashore to his friend the Manager. You should all be ashore about a week and a half, as Captain Arabella waits for the shifting plates to properly align and open the path towards your next location. The Wild Bunch are some of the first off the ship as they escort Reynard down off the dock. The man is recovering now, but certainly not recovered.

    As you all step down onto shore, a man comes jogging down the beach towards Reynard…Reynard let’s out a note of pleasant surprise and hobbles towards the man on his cane. They embrace like brothers, happily clapping each other on the back and asking a dozen quickly resolved questions of each other. Reynard turns his friend towards you. “My new friends! Let me please introduce you to my dear old friend, Jonas! He and I go far, far back. I’ll be staying with him while we’re here, and I recover.”

    t9bk44hs11hz.png

    “Yes hello, nice to meet you all! Recover? My friend, are these not just the ravages of old age?”

    “Oh ho ho, not quite, Jonas, I’m afraid not quite…” Reynard turns back towards your group in hushed confidence. “I’ll be quite alright with Jonas here for the time being…the Governor has tremendous respect for the Manager, and Villam is a great source of his power and influence. I doubt he would want to damage that precious asset. I had asked you to get me safely to Villam, and you have. For this you have my *eternal* gratitude. Come see me when you get an opportunity, I will see that you are properly compensated. In the meantime…well, we’re onshore for a week. I’m sure you’ve seen enough of this bag of bones for the time being!...” Reynard gives a chuckle as he walks away…looks at Urixes and gives him a solemn nod that only Urixes perceives the true meaning of.

    It is Noon. You on a beautiful, lush island, a pirate with a week and a half’s leave in a remote paradise. The sun beams down and the wind is soft and gentle.

    OOC: DM learned his lesson last time: you guys are allowed full freedom of movement here. PM me your starting location, or determine it as a group in thread: I'll set up your scene. The only currently inaccessible areas are the Elwood and the Entrance to the Elwood. Go together, go alone, but feel free to explore at your leisure. You can explore three locations today before nightfall. Nightfall will bring a special event…
    vz852c0ivuqq.jpg

    VILLAM LEGEND

    1. The Whispered Curse/The Dock

    2. Future Rough Pirate Encampment

    3. Manager’s Cabin

    4. Lizard Chief’s Summer Home

    5. Lizard Shaman’s Summer Home

    6. Lizardfolk Summer Village

    7. Wooded Basin

    8. Swamplands/Farmlands

    9. Entrance to the Elwood

    10. The Pit

    11. The Elwood

    12. Entrace to Brumal Caverns

    13. North Claw

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack has been visibly restless ever since land was sighted and (with Captain's permission) is off the ship like a bolt, not stopping until he feels grass between his toes, then gives a happy sigh and falls backwards into the greenery, his whole body doing a wiggle before relaxing, eyes on the sky. He'd missed this.

    By the time the rest catch up he'll be up to follow the rest of the group, or Oak if the group breaks up.

    ((OOC: I'll wait to see how the groups shake up before initiating any conversations))

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak stretches his shoulders and back as they walk onto the dock. The weather was similar to their travels on the boat, but something about warm weather during shore leave made it seem all that much better. He could feel a bit of pressure lifting off his shoulders as they stepped on land. His pack slung across his back, he almost reaches for his sword as someone comes bounding towards the Baron. Their group had been taking shifts keeping Reynard safe, but Oak had taken it as a personal responsibility that he had agreed to. Thankfully it was a friend, and now Oak found himself relieved of a duty.

    "Well then lads," he turns to the group after Reynald and Jonas have left them, "looks like we suddenly have some free time. Anyone has a particular direction they'd like to head?"

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "oh, I want to visit the Lizard Shaman’s Summer Home. He's about to be an old friend. Though I'm not sure if I should bring guests. No offense, but i want to make a good impression. Also, just wander through the wooded basin, just to feel the sway around here.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 23
    OOC: You will all initially find the Lizardfolk on this island to be very reticent and mistrusting of strangers (even for Lizardfolk). But Arno may find that the strange token of goodwill which they carry will vouch not only for Arno's good character, but that of their companions as well.

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 23
    [LIZARD SHAMAN'S SUMMER HOME]
    You work your way through the Lizardfolk Summer Village on your way to the home of the shaman. The entire area is swampy and humid. Rough boards are tossed across ditches filled with sludge, and mosquito tinged waters lie in the ditches next to bubbling mud...

    The homes are all rough thatch huts, almost each one of which is wrapped around a dessicated, overly-large oak tree. The shaman's summer home is unremarkable and identical in this sense...you find yourself walking into a roughly thirty-foot spherical hut, with a straw roof, a dirt floor, and rough, wooden tables and furniture all about the place. There are two current Lizardfolk occupants- one, slightly more yellow in color, canters over to you and forces a strange, foul smelling drink into your hand. The other, a more forest green color, gives an unsatisfied sound before he comes over to you. *Both* of these Lizardfolk hobble about, as if injured or ancient, or possibly both. The forest green Lizardman waves an idle hand in your direction, and a sudden understanding washes over your mind....

    [Your PC understands Lizardspeak for the next hour]

    "There...bout, an hour, ifen yaken lissssssen. Now whadywant? Effffffffff'en Tourissssstssss...."

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is chatting with Oak (or at Oak, talking regardless of whether or not the barbarian responds) on the way there, having gotten to know them more than the rest of the Bunch thanks to their shared ship duties, "So, um. I noticed you..." He lifts a hand and waggles his fingers at the Shifter's face, "...get a bit of a change when you're in the heat of battle. Is that as far as it goes? How much can you change? I mean, as long as it's not a personal question and all that."

    ((OOC: Peeps feel free to respond to the shaman in the meantime, no need to keep this entirely linear or we'll be here all week waiting for one another's turns!))

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: This is all very loose right now, and will probably remain so in the future due to PbP. I'm more interested in you guys bonding as a team and getting to know each other at this point than in forcing you all along a narrative (which you probably see coming anyway). The set pieces are there to play with as you like/decide you get there, but you four are the heart of the story and guide the action. Take your time , do your thing <3

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak listens, mostly quietly as Jack talks. The younger man talks more, with grunts, nods, and other small noises being most of what Oak responds with. Jack does delve into territory that Oak determines needs a fuller response, however, when he brings up shifting. "It isn't much more than what you saw in the cabin. Most of this," Oak motions a hand to his face " is always there, but when I really let go, the more bestial side comes out. Not a full shift, like ya did."

    Oak visibly softens as he discusses this with Jack, the hard outer front he normally puts up sliding away now. "How about you? I saw ya change fully. When did you first find out ya could do that?"

    OOC: Oak 100% was being talked AT for a bit there before it switched up. I see that being a common occurrence with Oak and Jack. Also, I think we can say that some of this conversation happens as we follow Arno around too.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack leeeeans closer to take a look at Oak's face, completely ignorant of personal space, then pulls back and nods. I see, I see. He grows uncharacteristically quiet at the question, glancing around for others, weighing something in his mind, then nods. He trusted the Bunch enough for this.

    "Well, um... pretty soon after I got cursed, really. I was confused, -very- old, hungry, then I spooked a rabbit and..." His hand indicates running legs with two fingers, then a chomp. "This body, not so great at handling the cold, let me tell ya." There's a very obvious emphasis placed on -this-.

    "But, must needs, turns out folks don't much care for a wolf running among them. Or waking up to a wolf in their guest bed, for that matter..." He grins, back to his cheerful self, "But that's why I try to wake up early these days!" Problem: solved.

    ((OOC: Jack is pretty happy to talk anyone's ear off, though I imagine few have Oak's patience))

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "I knew a shifter once," Urixes says out of nowhere, the rest of the group almost not realizing that he was still walking with them. "Although he was more catlike. Sharpest claws I'd ever seen, on man or monster. He died in the crushing jaws of a dire shark. It was ironic, in a way, considering how much he hated water."

    GlalmrpakuAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak laughs at Urixes' comment. "Ha. Cat hates water. That's funny." A smile crosses his face, but it looks almost unnatural between his fangs and the fact that he doesn't smile very often.

    He looks back to Jack, not wanting the man to think his comments passed Oak by. "People are dumb when they don't understand. I'm sure you and me could swap lots of stories about misunderstandings. Don't you worry your head none. Here on the Curse, none of that nonsense is going to fly, you can trust Oak to take care of that."

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack cracks up, turning around and walking backwards, facing the other two, arms behind his head, "'s interesting, spent years travellin' without meeting any others who could shift, then in the past weeks I'd met multiple. Funny old world." He trips over a rock, hop-hop-hops on one leg and catches his balance, still grinning.

    "Oh, the people on the Curse are fine. 'cept the ones that turned into snakes, I could do without that thanks." At this point the ground is turning swampy enough for him to start walking normally again, lest he find himself with an impromptu bath.

    "Who are we visiting again?"

    ((OOC: Good to transition to the grumpy lizardman on my end!))

    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno sees everyone following him to the Shaman's house. Wait, why did everyone just agree to go with me. Did I become the group leader? Am I in charge? For the first time in the entire trip, Arno feels fear.

    "Honestly Jack, never quite understood why some folks get so touchy around wildlife. We all hunt and eat and try to live, but for some reason having a wolverine in your room is 'crazy' and 'dangerous' and 'instant forfeiture of your deposit'. That's why I try to sleep outside whenever possible. But also, that's why joining a pirate crew is great for folks like us. They are all crazy and dangerous, so we can fit in just fine."


    At the Shaman's

    "Thank you for your hospitality. I've come after speaking with your brethren in Far Aeston. *Arno shows the tooth he was given* They said you may have advice on the dangers we face out in the Expanse, and we seek your wisdom. Also, that you may give insight into the Sacred places here, as I am a traveler who strives to understand nature."

    Arno drinks deeply of the offered beverage.

    geth roll 1d20+4 persuade we are friends

    persuade we are friends:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]

    Glal
Sign In or Register to comment.