[D&D 5E] "The Curse"- The Dark Glen

1252628303137

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Yeah, seems to be something worth explorin' I think."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Wild Bunch hitches up their kayaks on their shoulders and head West into the thick brush together, each member more certain than the last that this is a good and productive use of the rest of their dwindling sunlight, and certainly not a dangerous and inexplicable shift in their plans, as the sun begins to set. It’s only Urixes who doesn’t succumb to the sudden, insidious *TUG* to take his mind. But even then, as he goes to follow his group (for the rather strange and lacking reasons they provide) into the wild, he still doesn’t catch the small, subtle ways each member of the group has convinced themself that they had come to the idea of their own accord. Urixes simply follows, annoyed. The booming voice which attempted to swallow him just now was *CLEARLY* some sort of the same meddling which had haunted his thoughts and dream of late…he decided he was done entertaining it, and eager to put himself into action to forget about it…

    The hike to the area the Suggestion has led the group is more overgrown and tangled than even the usual wild you see out here. It takes an effort from the group to get there, and it’s only Urixes that shows any hesitation at throwing himself into thorn and prickle, branch and rock, to claw your way inside the ruin…

    Geth roll 1d4 for “Straight into the Bramble” damage (Arno)

    Geth roll 1d4 for “Straight into the Bramble” damage (Jack)

    Geth roll 1d4 for “Straight into the Bramble” damage (Oak)

    [STRANGE RUINS]

    The Voice didn’t lie; there’s a big ancient, structure here. A ruin that looks like it hasn’t been disturbed in over a millennia. The main room you stand in is covered in nearly every inch with sprawling undergrowth. Only recently disturbed by the sudden unearthing, it has caused parts of the river to fall in and around the room overhead, forming a small swirling pool around the statuary in the middle of this area…

    OOC: Everyone who felt the tug of the Suggestion will feel drawn to a different part of this area, but is *NOT* compelled to necessarily explore that area. They *DO* feel compelled to explore something here, however. Only Urixes seems to currently care about things like food, or safety, or rest…everyone else is drawn in by this area and it's structure, and a strange feeling that it has something to offer you, somehow…(Choose an Area to Explore, or to Station at if you so Choose)

    [STRANGE RUINS- CURRENT MAP]
    A. FORMLESS STATUE- This is a seemingly badly misshapen attempt at a humanoid, carved into rock. It is done in a very abstract fashion and dominates the center of the ruin, involving a long and winding walk up on either end up broken and ancient stairs to view the Statue up close. [ARNO] finds themselves strangely drawn to it.

    B. BATTERED WALL- A portion of the wall to the north here has been battered at with a pickaxe. Whoever did it managed to get about six feet in, digging a massive hole in the wall, before they stopped. The pickax still sticks out of the wall, half dug in- left by whoever dug out the hole. [OAK] gets a strange feeling whenever they walk past the pickax

    C. ANIMAL RUN- Some of the bricks on the north side here have shifted, revealing a small hole, and a carved out cave in the space behind it. From the looks as you peer through, it’s clearly an animal run…or at least, it was until very recently. A lot of the smell has been wiped out by settling dust, and ancient clay brick. But [JACK] still smells the faint scent of wolf, his brethren. And he also gets a strong whiff or something else here, something he’s smelled very recently...Worgs.

    D. FALLEN DOORWAY- A cracked and split door in the corner here seems to lead to Architecture which isn’t anything like the ruin you stand in. You can tell just from the view through the rended beams in the frame that whoever built the space on the other side did it in a different place, a different time, or with a different group of people. The Ruins and the building on the other side have seemingly been *JAMMED* into each other; some effect from the recent quakes, or maybe something else…

    F. ANCIENT DEBRIS- This is obviously the main point where these ruins emerged and began pushing against each other, because the place is *WRECKED*. Trash, stones, bricks, and refuse…the broken accumulation of a thousand years lies in this dangerous, ruined heap. Anything could be lying there, between the rocks and dirt…

    E. MAIN ROOM- The Ancient Room is huge and foreboding. Almost every inch of it, save the Statue area, is overgrown with greenery. The place is nearly dark already. Small holes line the walls, letting what remains of the light in. A back section of the West Wall is nearly wide open (D), and anything could wander in from that end. This place would be completely indefensible, come nightfall.

    X. ENTRANCE- Where the Wild Bunch entered. It’s a twenty foot gap in the wall, completely open to the forest and the river fifty feet away.

    mjj82zrmrebc.jpg

    Straight into the Bramble damage (Arno):
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    Straight into the Bramble damage (Jack):
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    Straight into the Bramble damage (Oak):
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "What interesting statuary, I wonder if it...animals! Oh, check out the tracks here, you can see it's been seeing less use by the way the tracks are covered in dust. Oh, Jack, would it be okay if I turned into a wolf and investigated this trail a bit? I don't know if being a wolf would be...offensive? If so, giant badger would also let me sniff about well."

    Arno would like to investigate C, in an animal form. Waiting on Jack before choosing shape, but it will have keen smell.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak stares at the pickaxe sticking out of the wall. There's something strange about it, something that draws Oak's attention. Maybe even the reason he thought he had to come here.

    Oak approaches it slowly, almost entranced but still wary. What is this? Why is this wall damaged? Who did it? All questions that Oak suddenly feels like he needs to answer.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is quieter than normal, the pull something different to him. He's used to his wolf instinct sitting behind him, but this, this is someone new that's just come and overridden it.

    His head sways towards the animal tracks and he takes a second to acknowledge Arno's question, giving a distracted nod, "'s fine, fine..." He crouches closer to the ground, giving a sniff, then gets near the hole, looking wary, "More wargs, maybe." He strains to listen.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular


    Wolf stats
    Armor Class 13 (Natural Armor)
    Hit Points 11 (2d8+2)
    Speed 40 ft.
    Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 ft. of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (2d4 + 2) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone


    geth roll 1d20+5 for sniff about, learning about what's here
    geth roll 1d20+5 advantage

    sniff about, learning about what's here:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    advantage:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Strike doesn’t bother to check in with the Wild Bunch before hauling his kayak the many steps leading to the formless statue and making a rough campsite at it’s base. He eats his rations *ravenously*, tearing through a full days portion in mere minutes. Wordlessly, he sits cross-legged underneath the Formless Figure, a small fire at his back casting strange shadows. Rak’Ta eyes stare at the Ancient Carving, rapt, his back to the entrance…
    Jack and Arno crouch at the mouth of the run, smelling and listening. After about ten minutes, their efforts are finally rewarded…by the sight of a rat suddenly sneaking by, at the end of the very narrow sixty foot tunnel. It’s eyes dart back and forth along the enclosed space and finally come to rest upon the two of you. The rat’s beady eyes flicker as they move from Arno, and over to Jack. Immediately frightened and before either of you can react, the creature *DARTS* down further into the animal tunnels. You both notice that it had a silver ring clutched in it’s mouth, delicately held between it’s teeth. Arno and Jack look at each other in surprise. Just as Jack opens his mouth to ask the (now) Wolf Arno something, you both make out a faint but distinct growl inside the tunnels, to the left…which does *NOT* belong to a wolf…

    [ OOC: Do Jack and Arno descend into the tunnels? They may choose to leave it untouched, and explore elsewhere, or set up perimeter for the evening, or join Strike. Choose wisely!

    This is the closest I’ll ever get to giving you guys a “puzzle”. Arno and Jack both feel, on some level, that the rat and the ring are the reason they’ve been drawn here. The rodent has disappeared down the narrow run in front of you. Behind it and to the right, you both suddenly hear the sound of Worgs, loose in the tunnels. Jack and Arno can only fit through the narrow runs in transformed Wolf state (or smaller). You two can only fit single file as you go. Fusspot can come with if you’d like, but isn’t going to provide much battle utility, and might become easily endangered in the narrow and crumbling space.

    At each branch in the tunnel, you’ll be updated to your current movement options of thirty feet (example: North, Northwest, South). Your wolf senses will also alert you to points of interest nearby, the most pressing being “approximate location of the rat” and “approximate location of the Worgs”.

    Jack and Arno will have five turns in total to track the rat down, before the Worgs find it, or the Worgs find *YOU*. If you manage to successfully track down the rat, you may find your reward to be greater than a mere ring…]
    As Oak stares at the pickaxe, a sudden, red hot anger comes over him. His mind becomes taken by a sort of righteous fury, and his heart begins to pound rapidly and violently in his chest. Oak feels as though there’s something behind this wall, something that he needs to see…something that *HAS* to be seen, if it isn’t to haunt the corners of his thoughts until his dying days. A normal man couldn’t break their way in through this thick bit of rock…it was obvious someone had previously tried, and failed. But then, Oak was no ordinary man.

    Obsession slowly began to sink in on Oak's mind like a closing vice...in a second, he would choose whether to grip the pickaxe and find out what lay behind the wall, or force himself with all his might from the compulsion, and walk away...

    OOC: Does Oak grip the pickaxe? He may choose to leave it untouched, and explore elsewhere, or set up perimeter for the evening, or join Strike. However, despite it’s mystery, Oak innately understands one thing about this situation: what calls out to Oak from behind this wall, unexplored, may call out to him forever after this moment. Choose wisely!

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    BARK BARK, GRR, *whine*

    For Jack's eyes only
    Let's see where that rat is going, I'm curious. They don't usually carry jewelry, usually just cheese. Also, tell Mr. Fusspot to stay with Oak, we want him to be safe. I don't think he understands wolf though.

    zekebeau on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    There was something in the other side of the wall, something someone weaker, someone less committed had tried and failed to get. It Oak was stronger, he was the Bear in humanoid form. This mere wall would be a minor distraction after he would bust through, to reach what was on the other end.

    Oak's hand reaches out and wraps about the handle of the pickaxe.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack twitches when he spots the rat, a chase instinct triggered, then tamped down, eyes tracking it down the corridor. He really, really wants that shiny ring.

    He tilts his head at Arno, momentarily brought out of his stupor, "...how did you manage a posh accent in wolf?" Never mind, there's shinies to get. "Hey Oak, can you take care of Mister Fusspot... for..." He watches Oak grab and swing the pickaxe like a man possessed, "Um. Hey Urixes, can you take care of Mister Fusspot for me? Me and Arno are going to check out this tunnel, I think we just spotted something important in there. Be careful, there are wargs around."

    Despite stating his intent he still hesitates, looking around the room, then wolf Arno, then sighing. Doing this, especially in front of people, is very much against his wishes, but the pull is just too strong; as a concession he flips his mask down. The Wild Bunch had seen his wolf form before, though Strike is likely unaware of his nature.

    Unlike the slick magical transformations of druids and wizards this is a less elegant affair, Jack features visibly deforming with internal cracks and snaps, though much of it is concealed under his helm and clothing that, seconds later, are hanging off the body of a slightly scrawny looking wolf.

    Any kind of 'majesty' of this is immediately ruined by him getting stuck and spending a minute untangling himself free of belts, straps and sleeves. Right. Hole! He gives a non-aggressive snap at Arno's side and takes point, following the rat down the tunnel.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Strike is kept rapt by the statue, sat cross legged, his staff across his lap and his back to the fire. He hasn’t seemed to notice any of you departing…
    Jack and Arno race down the animal run after the rat. The walls are dug out clay and dirt, but some of the ceiling overhead has collapsed architecture build into it. Debris nearly blocks the path every few feet.

    The wolves come to a break in the tunnel. There are paths leading West, Northwest, North, Northeast, and East. You hear Worgs approaching to the West of you. Arno and Jack can smell rat in the paths to the East and Northeast of here.

    OOC: Five moves! I’ll post updates on the map as you two go along. Whoever posts first can be assumed to be the character in the lead, assuming you're in the same spot. You two *do not* have to go in the same direction, but it’s dangerous to go alone ECT ECT
    Oak grips the handle of the pickaxe and his fury suddenly peaks. Letting out an animal *ROAR*, the Barbarian begins to cut and tear at the wall with the pickaxe, swinging ferociously, as though in the heat of battle.

    And Oak realizes, “There is a tragedy about this place…something very wrong, that has been wrong for a *VERY* long time now. And it’s not just the Dark Ritual or the Rak’Ta feeding themselves to this place…it’s not just the tragedy of the Rak’Ta, forced to excavate this place, and Far Aeston, lands that should by proper rights be theirs. A Great Evil was committed to not only these people, but the entirety of the Expanse…

    Rocks and dust have piled up around him as he carves his way into the solid rock face. Sweat begins to pool on Oak’s brow. Every few minutes, he aggressively kicks out rocks underfoot back into the main room behind him…

    Oak please make a Constitution Check (DC 12) for me

    OOC: Oak will learn more from his possession the deeper he digs, as well as other potential benefits. However, each Constitution check to get to the other side of the wall will become more and more difficult, and involve more and more potential damage to Oak- and I’m not gonna tell you how many there will be total. Oak can stop at any time, and I’ll tell you what he may have stumbled upon during his excavation on the walk back
    OOC: Urixes still has his choice of areas to explore if he would like, although at this point not the Animal Runs (he wouldn’t fit) or the Mined Wall (Oak is deep enough in his possession he’d probably get you with the pickaxe or thrown rocks)

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Operating on instinct now Jack gives a sniff, a listen, then darts down the NE path.

    ((OOC: I'll let Rawrno pick the next one!))

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Grr, woof, bark.

    "
    Yay, a polymorph pal! You know, it just doesn't seem right being a wolf all by yourself, but this is fun. Though I'm a northern grey wolf, which do tend to be a bit more pretentious than a western plains like yourself. I'll try to keep that in check.

    Oh, smell that, looking like easterly is the way to go. Yes, your right, the northern branch seems stronger."

    Glalmrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak Kees digging.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes stands with his arms crossed, watching the group scatter into the ruins. "So driven all of a sudden," he mutters to himself, wondering just what was so intriguing to make them stop here. "Well I suppose we did promise Jack we'd make it up to him."

    Eventually Urixes walks up to Strike, laying a hand on his shoulder. "How are you holding up, friend? This journey has been harsher to you than most."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    [ARNO AND JACK]

    Arno and Jack artfully squeeze their way past rock and debris, headed to the Northeast. They are running down a long, dug out hall. As they come to a couple breaks in the wall, Jack looks up at a sudden glimmer. He sees the rat up ahead in the tunnel, clutching the ring. The rat sees you approach and *DARTS* away, disappearing to Jack’s left. To your Southwest, you can hear the Worgs running up the tunnels, howling unintelligible things in Goblin-speak. It sounds like they’re moving in fast…

    Jack and Arno may choose to return the way they came, to the Southwest. They can see a direct path Northeast, where Jack viewed the rat. They also can detect much smaller runs in the walls here, to the North and to the Southeast. These areas are even more narrow than the tunnel you’ve currently been travelling; you’d have to army-crawl to get through (or whatever the Wolf equivalent is)
    q26n4wnlcfir.jpg


    [OAK]

    Oak swings like a man whose salvation lies in this toil. Bits of rocks and pebble occasionally deflect back at him between the non-stop carving of the wall. Oak hasn’t stopped to consider things such as rest, or food, or even taking a proper deep breath amongst his frenetic labors. As he works, the pickaxe whispers to him, shows him things…

    “…But then, that’s always the way, isn’t it? The games of the powerful destroy those caught in between. The Rak’Ta here on this island, the ancient ones….Strike’s ancestors…were one of the few groups caught out here who actually saw the Cataclysm coming. The Rak’Ta dug deep into the earth to find materials they could use, to ward their people against the incoming wave of Wild Magic. It was said that Fair William warning them, choosing to take lot here among them, is what brought the ire of the She-Witch Faye. It was her betrayal which sealed William’s fate: drove him forever between Worlds. Cursed him, to…

    Oak please make a Constitution Check (DC 15). A failure will cause HP damage (1d6+3)

    [URIXES]

    Urixes is the only one not caught up in some sort of strange mania. Jack and Arno have departed in their changed shapes down some nearby animal runs, suddenly and inexplicably leaving Fusspot in Urixes’s care. The bird sits warily on your shoulder, staring all around the ruined structure as night begins to fall. It paces and coos, obviously anxious at your shoulder. As it looks up directly at you, Urixes gets a strong sense of familiarity…probably from his dream the previous evening. Oak has already disappeared down a hole in the wall, the constant and steady sounds of a pickaxe ringing out as he works his way into the night. It’s strange behavior, but you’ve come to trust the man…there is surely a good reason for it…

    The walk up to the Shapeless Form is a bit of a hike; three separately carved, winding stone steps before you reach the top. Strike has made a small fire out of spare dried and cracked sticks behind him, but it’s bare and dwindling. He should know by now, that a fire like that won’t last the night.

    As Urixes addresses, then makes physical contact with him, Strike seems to come out of his strange torpor for a brief time. “…Urixessss? Oh, errr….Apologiesss, I believe I nodded off, jussst now. Yesss, the river woundsss are starting to slowly to heal, and the battering from the Giant wassss…in any cassse, I feel like I finally *KNOW* now, how to learn to be sssstrong. I wanted to zank…”

    Strike’s eyes suddenly blink rapidly, as though very sleepy. They open up at last to reveal two milky white portals, which stare back at Urixes as though they see right through him. Strike smiles his unnatural smile, but the voice which speaks out is not his:
    “You have returned despite my warning. Is this cheek, or some madness? You are cast into the heap, broken and unmade…but yet you come back here. Do you not grow tired of this? What still moves you forward, Accursed One? Has the Reaper returned for the Keeper? Have you brought yet more victims, to die by your Deep One?”

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes' breath catches in his throat as a wave of realization comes over him.
    "I ... you're right. I have been here before. And yet it was not me. That man is dead, but I am still him." Flashes of past lives, past attempts run through Urixes' mind like the flickering flames next to him. "So many lives lost... that's just what It wants, isn't it? And yet I won't stop. I can't. No matter how long it takes, hope will prevail over the grasp of despair."

    After a moment he tears away his gaze, looking at the fire and the beginnings of a makeshift camp. "I would appreciate it if you released my friend. Night draws near and we need rest."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    His mind is filled with memories that weren't his. But Oak's hands kept working, chasing something he hadn't known was even there.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Bark *wag*
    You go directly after the rat. I'll take this crawlspace to the left to cut it off. I think we've almost got it.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack wuffs an affirmative and sprints directly after the rat northeast. It's just like that age old advice said, always split the party!

    ((OOC: I imagine Arno could change into a smaller animal and not have their mobility penalised due to the narrow passageway?))

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OCC: yes, but we are polymorph pals.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: *puts on glasses* Well actually neither of us is using Polymorph, Arno is using Wild Shape and Jack is a lycanthro-ow!, who threw that??))

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [URIXES]

    The milky white eyes return Urixes’s gaze, unblinking. Strike’s expression is wholly unchanged; he hasn’t moved. But there may be a mild touch of omniscient bemusement when the God speaks through the Rak’Ta next:
    ]*THAT* man may be dead, but his actions ring on across generations, Accursed One. In this very land beneath you…the waters on which you travel…even the companions you now keep…”

    “You speak of Hope, and Friends…words that never would have passed His lips…so you may have truly forgotten. But that blessed ignorance will not keep forever, inside THIS place.*HE* was never one to stop either; *every* time We met him. And do you still not serve this same Master? Does he not still whisper in your ear?

    “…You may leave. We will release your…friends, back to you. They are pure souls, but naïve: you all are. And *You*, We should unmake again, Accursed One…but you are not the Man I wanted to destroy. Perhaps, it is a crueler fate to leave you to discover the sort of monsters that have destroyed this place, and your part amongst them.

    The decision has been made. We will speak again.”

    The white light in Strike’s eyes goes out in a *POOF* and he slumps forward, to be caught in Urixes’s arms. The fire goes out behind them, but it doesn’t matter much, as the early morning sun is beginning to peek in through the holes in the Ruin walls already. The water from above the Ruins ceiling pours in steadily. A ways in the distance, you hear the constant steady *PLINK* of the pickaxe still working away. Arno and Jack have not yet returned.

    [Strike is unconscious, though unwounded. His staff pulses with an energy that wasn’t there before. This whole Ruin is visibly more cracked and damaged then it was when you arrived yesterday, as the sun peeks in behind giant holes in the broken and bashed wall. Morning has nearly arrived already…how did that happen? Surely you were all only here a few hours…]

    [OAK]

    A normal man would’ve been bleeding sweat, stopping to rest for a month, keeled over and useless by now. Oak held strong, undeterred- the enchantment feeding him power almost as much as Oak’s spirit and determination fed it back. Oak was barely looking at his work now, just pumping his arms and legs like pistons on full instinct, dodging rocky bits as he could. He fully absorbed the knowledge the enchantment brought:

    …Cursed him, to be tied to this place that he loved, forever and always. He headed to the North of the island atop a Spinosaurus as he attempted to coax all the Rak’Ta to take cover…but *most* did not believe him, and tried to follow him out into battle. It was only Drisk, the strongest of the Rak’Ta, who took those who would follow him back to the caves and tunnels they’d recently dug out here, to save the sick and wounded, despite being called a deserter to the Rak’Ta’s Last Stand…”

    “The She-Wtch Faye had *expected* the Rak’Ta to run out into battle, which is how the first pulse of Wild Magic destroyed all of them out in the open, save Poor Fair William. Those hidden in the caves and caverns underneath felt the earth *rock and shake*…


    Oak please make a Constitution Check (DC 17). A failure will cause damage (2d8+5)

    [ARNO]

    Arno heads North, crawling on their belly over chunks of rock and debris. Arno comes upon the rat just as they emerge from the small tunnel, which *yips* as it runs away from you, and sideways up some downed architecture nearby. There’s a lot more walls and downed structures in this area; a significant portion more, compared to the previous animal runs. Arno hears angry and searching growls closing in behind them…looking back, they see the Worgs marching single file along the tunnels Jack and Arno had just left. Suddenly, up ahead where the rat had ran into a ragged hole in a small spot six feet up the wall…candles inexplicably spring to life. The ruined structure just above you is awash in a pleasant, sudden wash of pleasant light…

    Arno may choose to return to the way they came (South), although it is currently occupied by Worgs. They also have paths to the East (leading straight to Jack) or the Southwest (leading just along the side of the suddenly lit structure overhead). Arno may also choose to head directly Up Overhead, into the suddenly candle lit room with the Rat. The Worgs are directly to the South of you, and closing in fast.

    [JACK]

    Jack comes to a branch in the path. He can smell the Rat scent *immediately*, headed off to the West. He also can feel and hear the Worgs closing in just behind him. Suddenly, at his feet in the trash, he sees a small brown pouch. As he maybe goes to retrieve the pouch, he hears the sound of rushing and coursing water overhead, which seems to be slowly getting louder, and louder. The pressure of it closing in against these walls is palpable- Jack can feel it in his bones, and especially in the spot his finger used to be.

    Jack may choose to return the way they came (Southwest), although it is currently occupied by Worgs, closing in fast. He also has path to the Southeast, and to the West (leading straight to Arno and the Rat).

    [OOC:]Jack can check the stones later when he has time, if he chooses to take the pouch now.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Current Map-Arno and Jack (*3 Turns Remaining!*)
    ktdlubp2q953.jpg

    OOC: Morning of Day 4 has almost arrived. In the Main Room, Urixes can see and hear that this place is starting to fall apart overhead, brick by brick. Urixes is unable to roust Strike at the moment. He is unable to follow Arno and Jack due to his size. He could attempt to follow Oak into his dug hole if you so choose, but that will involve a Roll. Let me know what Urixes chooses to do in here, on his own, and with catastrophe looming...

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack runs into the empty chamber and looks around, sniffing. He was -sure- his prey had gone here, where could it... the scent from the Westward tunnel tugs at his senses and he turns his head, about to rush after it when he spies the small pouch lying among the rubble.

    He gives the item a nudge and sniff with his long snout, cautious, when the sounds of approaching wargs and water grow louder, overriding that with a singular thought: run! Snapping up brown item in his muzzle he runs down the tunnel where the rat's scent is coming from.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "rat! Rat! " Arno scrambles up the wall, his compulsion nearly sated, no other thoughts possible. "Jack, up, come up here."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    OOC:Is this a "decide after each save to stop" type of thing? The dmg amount is getting more serious.....

    Edit: Wow. Guess it doesn't matter just yet.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

    AustinP0027 on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack's mouth is full, so he just gives a muffled woof and follows Arno after the rat, being mindful to not accidentally swallow the small pouch.

    ((OOC: Oak is going to end up tunneling straight to our destination at this pace!))

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [JACK]

    Jack runs up the tunnel to his Northwest. As he tries to quietly slip away, a patch of loose gravel rattles out from underneath his paws. The Worgs to his Southwest take immediate note, and *BOUND* down the tunnel towards Jack, teeth gnashing and harsh yelps exchanged between them. They quickly begin to close in on him as Jack approaches the section of ruined architecture…with a running *LEAP*, Jack manages to perfectly shoot his form through the hole in the wall, landing gracefully inside the candlelit room. Several Worgs attempt to copy his attempt, only to crash themselves into the damaged sections of structure. The room Jack and Arno stand in suddenly sways once, from the repeated impact. Timbers crack overhead, and dust fills the strange space…

    [ARNO AND JACK]

    Arno and Jack, wolves both stand inside the ruins of a strange room. There is a large desk, and the walls (where they still exist) are lined with overflowing bookshelves. Most of the books look ancient and ruined. The room is somehow, inexplicably, lit with candles: the candles line spare spaces on the shelves, sit clustered along the desk, and are even grouped together in places on the floor. Just underneath the desk, behind a chair, sits a treasure chest.

    The Worgs continue to attempt to *POUND* at the hole in the wall, trying to force their way in unsuccessfully. “C’MERE! C’MERE, TREATS! GIVE US A KISS!” They squawk up at you in Goblin-speak. Each successive hit against the side of the wall seems to shake the place a little bit more. There do not appear to be any other exits. It would appear you are both trapped here, for the moment.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    OOC: Decide after each stop, correct! Failure on a Constituon Check means you take the damage or effects, but continue your forward progress. *However* Oak can, at any point he so chooses, decide to shake off the effects of the haunted pickaxe, drop it, and it’s power will cease to function. How far Oak has gotten up until this point (as well as things like that Nat 20 you landed) will determine the tangible rewards you will get on the walk through the tunnel you just carved heading back to the ruins. But yeah, damage is getting more serious- basically, this wall is trying to break you right back. Maybe not too much further, though…

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes looks around, equal parts concerned and confused. "I'm beginning to remember why I hate these ancients," he mutters under his breath, as he bundles up Strike in a travel blanket to drag him away to safety. Carefully pulling the weary rak'ta over the rough ground, Urixes waves a hand toward the direction Oak went, and reaches out with a magical whisper. "Oak, we are in danger. The ruin is falling apart. Foul magic here. Gather the others, we must go."

    ((Casting Message for that, not sure if Oak is too far away or not.))

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack pants, staring at the glimpses of wargs flashing through the hole he just crawled through, not speaking Goblin but very much understanding their intent. He woofs around the item in his muzzle, surprisingly understandable- turns out there are benefits to a language that uses comparatively little lip and tongue to vocalise.

    "Might fight soon. What you find?" His eyes dart around the room, searching for alternate exits. Not a great situation, a regular wolf doesn't stack up against a single warg, let alone a pack, and all his gear is in a pile at the start of the ruins. Maybe chasing a rat for a ring was a bad idea.

    ...wait, where is the rat? "Where rat?"

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    [OAK]

    …Those hidden in the caves and caverns underneath felt the earth *rock and shake*, as the Island awoke for the very first time. The underground refuge of the Rak’Ta began to see deep cracks along the walls and ceilings set in at a dramatic rate. Drisk, realizing the situation before most, attempted to get their people out from underneath the Earth and back up to the surface: he thought the Orichalcum armor they wore might protect them from the Wild Magic, but it would certainly do *nothing* to stop the earth itself from crushing the life out of all of them.

    But it was already too late…overhead, behind them, the Earth started to give way in large, *GOLIATH*-sized chunks. From underneath the wreckage came howls and hisses, followed by the loud crashing and settling of the earth, and then silence. Everything shook. Dust billowed out thick enough to barely be seen through, as Drisk and his dwindling survivors made their way back up the run, back towards the surface. Drisk was deathly frightened, but not for himself: all he could picture was the death of this people…ALL of them…the extinction of his species. Coughing from the dust, Drisk urged his faltering group on and up, and up. Suddenly, through a brief break in the cloud fog, light appeared at the end of the tunnel. They had nearly made it. And that’s when a section of the ceiling silently gave out above Drisk’s head. He looked up, seeing it arrive upon the group at almost the last second…

    Oak please make a Constitution Check (DC 18) to make the final push through the wall. A failure will cause 2d8+5 damage and One Level of Exhaustion

    [URIXES]

    Urixes gets Strike to safety and sets up near the Ruins entrance: wary and very ready to leave. He knows this place doesn’t have long before it starts to fall apart completely, but he can’t leave without his friends. As Urixes gathers the Wild Bunch’s kits and gear near the door in preparation for an immediate departure, he sends out a thought on the wind, that darts down the deep, deep hole in the wall, the Barbarian had somehow effortlessly dug out…

    OOC: Urixes’s Message will arrive with the resolution of Oak’s final decision at the wall.

    Strike is slowly beginning to stir. Hunkered down with the equipment, Urixes awaits Oak’s response. Suddenly, even over the sound of cracking architecture and rushing water, he hears something he wasn’t expecting. Outside the ruins, directly to your Northeast, Urixes can just make out the sound of people loudly and aggressively arguing over something. You can’t discern what the discussion is about, at this distance and over the din of everything else going on, but the voices are unmistakable: The Fox Gang from the Curse is hiking through the brush, just on the other side of the river you came in on. They are engaged in their usual bickering. Every now and then, an extremely familiar reptilian voice hisses at them to “SSSSSShaddap, be *QUIET*!”, but it seems to be in vain.

    [ARNO AND JACK]

    Jack can smell enough rat scent in this room to make himself sick, if he breathes it in for too long. It seems like the little critters have, until recently, made a home of the place. Many of the books have been burrowed into, or had pages torn out of them to form small nests in the nooks and crannies around the bookshelves. Rat feces are scattered, frankly, everywhere along the floor. Even some of the bookshelves have been eaten into and behind. Things that shouldn’t be are wet. Whatever this strange place once was, it seems to have mostly become a rat’s nest in the meantime.

    As Jack sniffs around trying to find the sneaky little guy, his paws land up on a bookshelf, and he sees something strange among the ruined books: an untouched Scroll, in pristine condition, just sitting there up on the shelf. A thick coat of dust sits upon it, but even still, it seems to almost radiate power. That’s the one, the Suggestion from earlier confirms. That’s what you’ve been looking for, Jack.

    As Arno looks around, they get distracted by several of the books titles here. Whoever’s library this was had *exquisite* taste. It’s a shame most of the books have been ruined, by the years or the mold or the rats. However, a few interesting titles seem to actually remain mostly untouched somehow: these are books Arno could really…bite into

    - “Mutatio Figura”

    - “Draconomicon”

    - “Collected Theories of Quall Sudo: Volume 3”

    - “Tome of Clear Thought”

    - “Formam Aquae”

    The Worgs continue their assault on the wall. Suddenly, a support beam on the side on the room *GIVES*. Jack, Arno, and everything in the room slide about two feet to the left. The rest of the room gives an eerie, pronounced *CREAK*…

    OOC:This room is about to collapse in on itself completely. Please make a Dexterity Check to artfully navigate the collapse from overhead and the Worgs from underneath (DC 17). A Failure brings 2d6+2 bludgeoning/piercing damage. Jack can carry both the [Unidentified Rattling Pouch] and the [Unidentified Strange Scroll] in his mouth in Wolf Form. Arno may only carry *ONE* of the interesting books they have come across in Wolf Form. A new path will open for you afterwards…

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Unlike a person Jack normally doesn't dislike scents, there's no such thing as a "bad scent", merely different kinds, however the overpowering smell of rat, well, everything, is beginning to strain that notion. Perhaps there are some scents that are just bad.

    He fails to find the rat (shiny ring nooooo), the overpowering scents in the room rendering his sense of smell useless for the task, but he does spy the scroll and whatever is riding his instincts latches on to it like a beacon. The room creaks, then tilts. RUN! Scroll! Run! Scroll! After a second of indecision the compulsion wins over and he dashes for the rolled up parchment, growling at Arno before his muzzle is completely, well, muzzled. "Run! Now!"

    He nabs the scroll, just in time for the ceiling to collapse atop them.

    Maybe this was not such a great idea after all ((OOC: This will be Jack's dying thought some day )).

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Dexterity Check To Not Get Squashed

    Dexterity Check To Not Get Squashed:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

    AustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The memories pounded in Oak's head as his hands swung and swung. The thought of stopping had passed him by long ago. In this moment, he was Drisk, trapped in this cave, desperately trying to escape but knowing the world outside wasn't any safer. The pick felt both heavy in his hands, and weightless, as his mind pushed away any thoughts other than to keep digging.

    OOC:I'm sure my luck runs out, and this hurts a lot, but I can't stop now. Oak's stubborn.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]

    Glalmrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Pretty sure these ruins hurt us (non-NPCs) more than any of our actual fights. Beaten up by ~greeeeed~))

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    [OAK]

    Oak finally, FINALLY, breaks into a small, grey alcove. Around him stand, or slouch, the skeletons of twenty dead Rak’Ta, each stacked one on top of the other, leaning against the center of this room. They are all in a pertified state, telling of unknown possible years since they came to lie here. At the very center of the macabre skeletons stands one larger than the rest, that Oak recognizes even now. What is left of Drisk stands firm, with his arms stretched up over his shoulders (Atlas-style) grasping a fallen section of rock, as his comrades help to hold him up. From behind the small gap Drisk creates, Oak can see bits of light peeking in, suggesting a tunnel to the surface was once behind this place. Most of the Rak’Ta died in the Cataclysm that occurred here, long ago. But it seems as though Drisk and this group of brave Rak’Ta sacrificed themselves so that a few could live…the ones who would go on to become Strike’s people. Up the petrified Drisk’s arm, a strange armlet glimmers in the darkness…

    [Oak has received a Torc of Restoration]
    This armband of woven gold can be used once a day as a bonus action to remove a condition currently afflicting you or else heal you for 4d4+4 HP. Using this ability expends one daily use of your rage.

    As Oak takes the Torc, he drops the pickaxe, and he slowly becomes himself again. Oak hears the familiar voice of his friend call out to him: “Oak, we are in danger. The ruin is falling apart. Foul magic here. Gather the others, we must go.” (Oak can respond with a similar length Message, which only Urixes may hear)

    Oak shakes off the strange enchantment and rubs his aching head…as he looks at his hand, he notices he’s been sweating blood. Taking a few now woozy steps, he looks back down the path the way he came....he can barely see the other side, the ruins where he came in. He must’ve dug a good…100 feet through solid rock in the night? But how is that even possible?

    Geth roll 2d8+5 damage (bludgeoning)

    [Oak currently has One Level of Exhaustion]

    OOC:Oak has travelled a frankly impossible distance in the night, and needs to huff it back about 100 feet through his carved tunnel to meet up with Urixes again. He can Message him back before then. In addition to the Torc, Oak’s mining has uncovered the following items: 300 GP, 8 Chunks of Orichalcum Ore (since Oak isn’t one to stop and pick up treasure while his crew calls for help, we can assume the possession from the pickaxe included the miner’s good sense to bag the goodies in between Oak’s John Henry-ing

    damage (bludgeoning):
    2d8+5 16 [2d8=8, 3]

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    *Whine*

    "uh-oh. UH-OH! Umm, gotta go, gotta grab...AQUA, boat, grab." Arno snatches “Formam Aquae” from the shelf and books it through the dust, dirt, and teeth.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for roof coming down

    Geth roll 2d6+2 for crushed by own hubris

    roof coming:
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]
    crushed by own hubris:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=2, 4]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    HAHA, Arno is unharmed yet again! Arno has learned nothing and will always take the most risky path because why not! Woo!

    mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [ARNO AND JACK]

    The second Arno grabs the book, the catastrophe hits, but not from where you both expected. One of the dripping corners starts to run like a river…then gush…then before you realized what was happened, has pushed in the section of wall like wet cardboard. The floor is suddenly an two and a half inches deep with water. In the next second, it begins to splinter, and the walls suddenly crumble and pop. Then, with a final rush of water, the ceiling caves in…

    Jack and Arno are smacked from below and above…they suddenly find themselves in a rushing tunnel of water, forcefully pushing it’s way back out of the way you came, carving new paths into the collapsed tunnels . Worgs float among you in the coursing water. Most were killed in the cave-in, but a few still flail around attempting to keep their heads above the flood. In it’s fright, one manages to bob by and scratch Jack in the arm, trying to grab onto something to keep it afloat…

    Geth roll 2d6+2 bludgeoning/piercing damage (Jack)

    OOC: Arno can open the book and discover it's properties during their next long rest. Arno and Jack will suddenly find themselves washed into the Main Room with Urixes and Strike...

    [URIXES]

    Urixes hears the heavy sound of the rushing water coming from the animal runs behind him…unfortunately, so do the crew of Pirates across the River. Rax shushes the Fox Gang, more forcefully this time.

    Strike, picking the worst possible moment, comes to and sits up, woken by the sound of rushing water. “…Urixessss? What…” Urixes tries quickly and stealthily to hush Strike, pulling him down and out of sight. Urixes looks over his shoulder, glancing between vines in the entrance to see if they’ve been spotted. Across the water, he sees the Fox Gang has stopped their march. The Aarakocra is currently attempting to peer in this direction…

    [Urixes please make a Dexterity (Stealth) Saving Throw to avoid detection from Rax and the Fox Gang (DC 16)]

    bludgeoning/piercing damage (Jack):
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=4, 4]

    Glal
Sign In or Register to comment.